/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This system any good? Anybody got a personal list of positives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (17KB, 230x369px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 230x369px
This system any good? Anybody got a personal list of positives and negatives?
>>
+colorful active-matrix screen
+large library of games

-poor battery life
-dead pixels very possible
-poor sound
-region lockout
>>
>>3632534
+ its cool
- the screen is really bad, price
>>
It's a portable turbografx, that in itself is dope.
Negatives would be:
Price - pretty expensive unless u get a good deal
Screen/sound issues - will definitely need to have all caps replaced. And the LCD is dated. It was great when it came out but that was a while ago.

There are a ton of mods for the system but if you came across a mint one I wouldn't mod it. Just replace the caps and enjoy. There are so few of these out there that it's a shame when people hack them up.
But if U bought one that Was beat up/has some issues then mod the shit out of it.
>>
I had one back in the day before one of my criminal friends traded it for drugs. Battery life was actually quite good, much better than Game Gear - similar to Lynx. The screen is good it just has a "vintage LCD" look assuming the backlight it still strong. It has an available composite line to tap so you can install a modern "back-up cam" screen. More or less every single Express has the early 90s electrolytic capacitors that are leaking by now and on PCEs cause "soft sound". Region locking shouldn't be an issue since you're probably going to get an Everdrive anyway right?
>>
>>3632559
>>3632570
>>3632596
>>3632565
Thanks for the advice guys. Just bought it from my friend for $75 and you all are right about the sound issue. Other then that it's mint. I don't know how to go about changing capacitors though.
>>
File: Comfy_at_this_time_of_the_year.jpg (695KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_at_this_time_of_the_year.jpg
695KB, 2592x1944px
>>3632570
Not OP, but I posted this pic a month ago, wondering about screen mods. I think you or someone else convinced me to keep it in its original glory (though its caps are replaced, since the sound finally died earlier this year, but it is now great again). I salute your logic winning me over (or the person convincing me to do so, since my Duo is already RGB modded and almost no need for modern LCD when I can emulate on a phone).

>>3632596
I still feel for you over your loss. I still could not afford the Turbo Everdrive. Even I consider selling the system, considering I think this can net me 1.5 weeks of groceries, which is very tempting. However, I find the system wonderful to play on in its humorous "this is once 'portable'" (it is surprisingly comfortable for my hands). Its sentimental value to me is only keeping me from breaking down and trading it in for consumables. It helped me on my long travel down to Anime Weekend in Atlanta 3 and back, great times. I guess if the drugs were necessary, it had to be done.

The AC adapter for this system keeps me near an outlet, but 6AA batteries aren't that much. I think Menards has like 30 of them at $2 after rebate over this weekend. I'd get them, if I didn't have to work through the whole holiday. I hate being poor.

My personal positives and negatives
+ nostalgia
+ plays some very fun turbochip games

- no CD games
- screen no longer good
- will need capacitors replaced
- you can just emulate on your phone/pi

https://youtu.be/dV-W23lONI4
>>
>>3632793
That's an insane deal. That's awesome.
Changing caps isn't hard, you just have to be careful is all. If you have any soldering experience then it's no big deal. If not then buy a broken sega game gear to practice replacing the caps on.
Soldering iron = 10-15$
Solder - 1-4$
Cap kit - 10$
You will end up using it to fix tons of stuff eventually, like fixing controllers/broken systems.
Just watch a couple of videos on YouTube. Tons of them out there.
Don't put off changing them out tho, last thing u want is the leaky caps ruining the system.
>>
File: image.png (273KB, 1005x687px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
273KB, 1005x687px
>>3632962
Yeah he's a nice guy and really looked out for me on this one. I have all of that, but I honestly just use it to replace the batteries in Gameboy games. How would you compare it to that?
>leaky caps
Should I just not use it for not til I am confident in changing em out?
>>
Ive got a busted one too. Sadly they dont use those big chunky tube caps, they use the tiny rectangle caps that look like hell to work on.

2 questions: What type of ac adapter are you using for it(if offbrand, what brand)? 2, I have a 25w iron, but its not melting any of the joints on the broken car alarm board im using for learning..what wattage iron should i use instead?

>>3632795

What does the video look like if the caps are bad?
>>
File: image.jpg (993KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
993KB, 3264x2448px
>>3633598
Here's a picture of mine as well. From what I see only one dead pixel
>>
>>3632534
It's just a portable that plays TG-16.
>>
>>3633598
If you can change a battery then u are good.
It's literally the same thing except the caps are a lot smaller. Also when you go to replace the caps you will have to trim down the legs of the new caps but that's not a big deal.
protip: tin the legs of the caps before U go to solder them on, makes it 100x easier.
And as for the leaking, it doesn't matter if you use it or not. if a cap is bad and leaking it could still damage traces and solder pads. Just do it sooner than later.
practice on something electronic that you have laying around like an old DVD player or console or something.
It's really not a big deal. Just somewhat time consuming. But like anything else the more you do it the easier and quicker it goes. Tons of videos on YouTube about people recapping turbo expresses and game gears. Watch one before/while you fix yours. It helps.
>>
>>3633617
Sorry in my post I meant the screen is no longer good [by comparison to modern day screens]. When the caps went bad on my Express, the screen was fine, it was that I go no audio. Others report bad or low audio, which I am guessing those are the capacitors that leaked first.

The AC Adpater I have is the official one, but the connector in the image has been redone (it was originally an L shaped one, which became loose over the years).
>>
>>3632534
of course its good. It's basically a TG-16. You can put a Turbo everdrive in it and play the entire library.

The bad is the screen isn't great, bad caps could be a problem, and they're expensive.

It's TG-16 tier so if you find one cheap then GRAB IT. Even if just to resell.
>>
>>3632596

The Game Gear isn't a fair comparison to any device in terms of battery though because it was not the system, not the CPU, not the graphics unit, not ANYTHING gaming calculating related that made it such a battery guzzler- it was that damn backlight which in lack of usable LED tech then is made out of a real cathode tube that sucks current like you're mum sucks dicks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.