[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to talk about the history of the RPG video game. We all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: DQIIIGBC_box_art.jpg (97KB, 640x666px) Image search: [Google]
DQIIIGBC_box_art.jpg
97KB, 640x666px
I want to talk about the history of the RPG video game. We all know it began as a simulation of the tabletop RPG experience but I feel discussion beyond that is sparce. How long do you think the genre tied into D&D, when did it become it's own thing, if ever? Is it still linked to the tabletop experience? Is the name "RPG" archaic or does it sill accurately describe the genre? Since RPGs started as a way to abstract things that couldn't be performed in reality of by video games of the time, do you think they are becoming obsolete now that we have the technology to adapt those systems in a more literal, action gameplay manner?
>>
>>3629427
>How long do you think the genre tied into D&D
To this day.
>when did it become it's own thing
Since the first videogame RPG ever created.
>Is it still linked to the tabletop experience?
Arguably, though it depends from case to case.
>Is the name "RPG" archaic or does it sill accurately describe the genre?
RPG is a term that is always used inaccurately in the case of videogames, so I'd argue that even inside the category of RPGs only a handful of games are RPGs in the actual sense of the word, and even so, they're nothing like pen and paper or tabletop RPGs, the closest you get to that might be MUDs, and those are hardly games and more like actual autism simulators for people who don't have the relatively low social skill requirements to LARP or get a campaign going.
>Since RPGs started as a way to abstract things that couldn't be performed in reality of by video games of the time
Take a deep breath and rewrite this sentence so I can understand what you're asking.
>do you think they are becoming obsolete now that we have the technology to adapt those systems in a more literal, action gameplay manner?
Action based genres almost always don't involve roll checks and abstract decisions and commands or reduce them to the bare minimum, so they're even less proper RPGs if you're a purist.

RPGs in the general are gambling games when you're supposed to make a bet of sorts and reap or suffer the consequence, and that is only really just a miinor part of traditional RPGs, give the player more and more control over the actor's actions and you'll further stray from the RPG formula into other genres.
Then again, most videogame called RPGs are far from the original concept of RPG, maybe stuff like Dwarf Fortress might be the closest to the actual concept of RPG, but it's still a far cry, and not retro anyway.

tl;dr: the term RPG is a vague, nebulous category when applied to videogames that nobody can truly define.
>>
File: ivanreen39.png (158KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ivanreen39.png
158KB, 800x600px
>>3629427
>How long do you think the genre tied into D&D, when did it become it's own thing, if ever?

It was it's own thing with Dragon Quest. Even FF which is heavily based on D&D is nothing at all like playing a tabletop game.

In the west things stayed a little closer, but even licensed D&D games were really nothing like playing in a campaign.

> Is it still linked to the tabletop experience?
Only vaguely in theme

It never accurately described the genre because you're never really roleplaying in any of these games. It just takes it's name from the kind of game it's derived from.

>Since RPGs started as a way to abstract things that couldn't be performed in reality of by video games of the time, do you think they are becoming obsolete now that we have the technology to adapt those systems in a more literal, action gameplay manner?

No because turn based decision making can also be interesting in it's own right. Selecting what you are going to do and then having the outcome based on percentage chances is one of the few ways these games are still similar to RPGs.

Ironically I think RPGs never came as close to simulating tabletop RPGs as Roguelikes did. RPGs are virtually all just pre-written stories that you play through, roguelikes actually have the sense of adventure. To me anyways.
>>
>>3629427
D&D inspired Ultima and Wizardry. They in turn inspired Dragon Quest, which spawned the whole JRPG genre. Ultima is probably the most influential RPG series there is, even if you don't take Underworld and Online.

> Is it still linked to the tabletop experience?
The very concept of exp gaining started there, so in a way yes.

> do you think they are becoming obsolete now that we have the technology to adapt those systems in a more literal, action gameplay manner?
First, that's like saying that chess became obsolete when we got Total War games. They are two vastly different entities. Games don't necessarily strive to capture reality, they can be completely abstract and still be fun—take Tetris or Go.

Second, of course reading realistic descriptions of fights and such feels kinda archaic today. Video games allow you to visualize stuff for more immersion. But as it was said, "There is great potential for more than hacking and slashing in D&D or AD&D; there is the possibility of intrigue, mystery and romance involving both sexes, to the benefit of all characters in a campaign." And frankly, video games don't offer much new in terms of the latter. They just do the same thing movies do, show the picture story. What are you gonna do, press F to fall in love?
>>
>>3629473
Don't bump after such a short inactivity, this isn't /v/, only bump if your thread is on page 9 or something.
>>
>when did it become it's own thing
Ultima 4. Instead of bending over to BADD it found its own solution for concerned parents.

Wizardry 1 also deserves a mention for implementing dungeon crawling, which had been the core of tabletalk RPGs, in a far more immersive way.
>>
>>3629608
>dungeon crawling, which had been the core of tabletalk RPGs

Only the core of bad groups in my opinion. I hated DMs who just wanted to run dungeons.
>>
>>3630819
Was that in the 70s?
>>
>>3630939
Nah, my first game would have been in '83. I know there are people who like straight dungeon crawls and heavy combat, but the games always interested me for the roleplaying aspect. I dig that that's what some people want out of the game, it's just not interesting to me.
>>
>>3631261
It's called roleplaying because you play the role of a single unit instead of commanding a whole army. Though on occasion you could control a whole team.
>>
>>3631272
I don't know if you're trying to troll or are the guy who comes here and thinks roleplaying should only ever have been dungeon crawls, but I'll just respectfully say you can like whatever form of tabletop roleplaying you like but I have my own preferences.
>>
> How long do you think the genre tied into D&D
Still heavily influenced by it, especially the western type. In a way D&D was also influenced by them.

>when did it become it's own thing, if ever?
JRPGs probably split off since their inception.

Depends on the item. We still have WRPGs linked to D&D for example.

Well when you think about it, when do you not play a role in a game?

RPG mechanics to this day still are meant as a way to put you more into that role or character, so I'd say it's still fitting.

>Since RPGs started as a way to abstract things that couldn't be performed in reality of by video games of the time, do you think they are becoming obsolete now that we have the technology to adapt those systems in a more literal, action gameplay manner?
No, especially after things like Divinity Original Sin or indie efforts.

Typically when talking about game genres, they never get outdated per se. They just evolve into another direction because no one's buying, or someone came up with this neat idea that they couldn't do anymore. Are JRPG types that are mostly grinding: the game outdated? No, because they exist as MMOs.
>>
>>3631280
How you play games is your decision but don't twist the name so that it gets a completely different meaning.
>>
>>3631287
Except that the concept of playing a role predates tabletop games. So even if what you say is true it would be the original players giving their own twist to the role play in the first place. It's also the commonly accepted meaning of "role playing" now so again even if it was that originally it's not anymore and really never ought to have been.
>>
>>3630819
That's why you're a faggot
>>
>>3631313
But I like women... or are you calling me a cigarette?
>>
>>3631301
>the the original players giving their own twist to the role play in the first place
You could do that in wargames.
>>
>>3632112
Obviously, what's your point?
>>
>>3629427
>How long do you think the genre tied into D&D, when did it become it's own thing, if ever?
The first time it entered into the virtual realm, obviously.

>>3629427
It is very far removed now, but it still is, a little, but only in spirit.

RPG: spiritual successor to DnD.

>>3629427
It is a meaningless buzzword at this point. Just like every other word that pertains to vidya, which died of cancer long, long ago - yet its zombified corpse still runs rampant to this day.

What if VR is the spiritual successor to RPGs?
>>
>>3634486
lol
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.