[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me the appeal of this series? Tried games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 256px-Ultima_Logo.png (42KB, 256x87px) Image search: [Google]
256px-Ultima_Logo.png
42KB, 256x87px
Can someone explain to me the appeal of this series? Tried games 1 and 4 recently and just couldn't get into them.

I always hear people talk about the stories in these games, but for people here who are fans, what do you like about them as games?
>>
It's the defining RPG series.
The story itself isn't that great aside from maybe 5 and 7 but it was thriving for innovation and building a world.
1-3 were still very basic attempts to recreate D&D.
4 was the milestone that added interactivity beyond fighting, offered a world somewhat distinct from fantasy cliche and focused on improving yourself instead of fighting another evil wizard.
5 onward then expanded the setting and played different scenarios related to the virtues.
Underworld deserves special mention because it was groundbreaking in all sorts of aspects even when it was largely shoehorned into the series.

Overall the series has a lot of flaws but it's an important part of history and some aspects were never done better.
>>
If you only play one game from the series, it should be ultima 7.
>>
>>3625392
ive tried ultima 7 on a few occasions and I haven't gotten very far.

combat is your team spazzing out.

feels like a chore to see what items are better than others.

inventory cluster fuck.
>>
>>3625392
It's a poor choice. 7 more than any other game of the series builds upon the work of the predecessors.
You get stuck with a lot of issues without being capable to fully appreciate the positive sides.

If it absolutely has to be a single game it should be Underworld since everybody should have played that. Otherwise the trilogy of 4-6.
>>
>>3625284
Play 6, 7, and Underworld.
>>
>>3625284
Aside from it and Wizardry starting damn near everything RPGs after it followed I enjoy it for the crazy setting. Ultima has this insane hybrid of medieval fantasy and science fiction that you'd never get in this day and age because it was made by a small group who just crammed everything they loved instead of a studio that only puts in what's guaranteed to print money.
>>
>>3625284
Regarding the "spinoffs": Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are close to dungeon crawling perfection.
I won't talk about their numerous obvious flaws because in the end the games are just fun to play and will suck you in.
The level design is varied and has lots of interconnections and alternate routes, with occasional challenges. The quests/puzzles are just the right balance of being solvable without a guide without being trivial.
Unlike e.g. some of the Wizardry games where navigation and puzzles devolve into a chore at some point with endless mazes full of traps and obscurity. Great pacing makes the Underworld games very fun in this regard.
They are full of neat details, interactivity and secrets, if you don't feel like following the main quest for a while you can experiment with items, spells and the environment and often discover cool stuff.

So, while they aren't really appealing in terms of story (at least UUW, UUW2 is more connected to Ultima with more dialogue/NPC/story development) the main attraction and reason why I love them is the outstanding gameplay.
>>
>>3625284
It's just literally 30-40 year old virgins from the Atari era coked up on nostalgia and unwarranted self importance. See: Sean "Ultimate Ultima Shill" Malstrom.
>>
>>3625284
I recommend watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLiyYvQ3zE It's long, but covers all the ultima games. Also, watch your volume, starts out pretty loud.
>>
>>3628515
Then there's Might and Magic
>>
>>3629112
I can only beg you not to do it.
It's terrible and gives a completely warped representation of the games.
>>
>>3625284
>an someone explain to me the appeal of this series?
If you seriously have to ask this question, you have no right to be here let alone even share the same air I breathe.

Fuck right off you dumb underage faggot.

>>>/v/
>>
>>3625286
>It's the defining RPG series.
Desu desu. Even early JRPGs were inspired/ripped off Ultima games.

They're an important part of /vr/ history .
>>
>>3625625
There's a couple of books in-game that tell you how much damage each weapon does. Basically magi weapons are the best, and you can find a cache of them in the pirate treasure location.

If you want to use normie non-magic weapons, the sword is the best 1 hand weapon, but the "great dagger" and the whip has a longer reach. For 2-handed weapon, it's just 2-hand sword > every else non-magical.

For ranged weapon(magic or not), give them only to the avatar and use manual mode, other the AI will shoot you in the back.

Slings are one-handed and have unlimited ammo but are weak. Triple crossbow seems to give the best non-magic damage. Staff of firedoom is the most powerful magic ranged weapon, but you risk blowing yourself up because of the wide area effect. Death bolt wands are of course deadly too but some enemies are immune to it? Sleep arrows are useful for obvious reasons.

The magic hammer works like a boomerang but with better damage and its 2-handed. The hawk seems to be slightly better than the standard boomerang.Note that the boomerang-like weapons sometimes get stucck in sprites or disappear off-screen , so they not reliable.
>>
>>3629301
>it's just 2-hand sword > everything else non-magical.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.