[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thought I'd take you on a little journey of a SNES rescue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 15

Thought I'd take you on a little journey of a SNES rescue I did the other day. Found this guy on ebay for 9 bucks. Said it was broken for parts only.

wana see how it went?
>>
File: Hibikkers.gif (28KB, 74x102px) Image search: [Google]
Hibikkers.gif
28KB, 74x102px
>>3625139
Go for it, I'm pretty bored right now.
>>
>>3625139
Nearly stripped the screws opening it up. The filth was acting like a glue.

whatever broke the top of it went straight through and damaged the EF shield. I was a little worried to see what was underneath
>>
>>3625139
after taking off the rest of the shell and shield though I was surprised to see everything was in good shape. no popped caps, no shit-stains or anything.

An early run too, since the audio device was still a plug-in module at the top right corner there. The surface was corroded but no damage inside.
>>
>>3625139
scrubbed everything down with contact cleaner and rubbing alcohol a few times, even removing the cartridge connector and getting underneath.

bonus drink recipe: 2 parts contact cleaner. 2 parts rubbing alcohol and 1 part monster. I calls it "The Challenger" because it shoots you into lower orbit and explodes your o-ring 64 seconds later.
>>
>>3625139
since my fabrication kungu wasnt good enough to save that shell, I looked around on ebay until i found somebody selling one. I couldn't find anybody manufacturing repro snes shells so I had to look for an original. Luckily found one, albeit covered in filth. The picture doesnt do justice. it was covered in a thin sheen of nasty.

I don't like cannibalizing other salvageable consoles just to repair another one. just seems a little defeating in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>3625139
Bath time. Comparison pictures. Blahblahblah bromine blah blah retrobrite blah blah blah LIKE NEW. you know the drill.
>>
I honestly don't care if a system has a completely trashed shell.

My favorite SNES to use is my skeleton one.
>>
>>3625139
Made sure to save the non-yellowed plastic bits from the dead shell. Put all the screws and nylon pieces in a separate plastic bag. I can use these later on or give them to a friend who might need them or just sell em on ebay.
>>
>>3625162
haha, i hear ya. this isn't me trying to guilt people for modded or customized consoles. just sharing the process of something I like doing.
>>
>>3625139
after the soak and dry i scrubbed over all the plastic with rubbing alcohol and a mr clean magic eraser to get out all the scuffs. and gave it a light spray of pledge just to even the surface up and give it a little illusion of "new"

tip: be careful not to scrub too hard with hose magic erasers, you'll rub the finish right off. I learned this a little while ago.
>>
>>3625139
Put everything back together, plugged it in, turned it on. worked on the first go.
>>
This is cool stuff, I genuinely love how most people are stupid and feel like they need a masters in engineering to take a screwdriver to anything.
>>
Closeup in bathroom lighting. Showing the surface. Not much I can do about that chip but whatever.
>>
>>3625168
Nice, that bogus little chip in the corner of the casing is killing me though
>>
And that's it! I'll be giving this to a friend as a gift for Christmas along with controllers, cables Mario World and Shaq Fu...just to fuck with him

This one wasn't the hardest restore I've done, but I've never documented the process before. Shared it on my twitter and FB and thought I'd bring it to /VR/.

Thanks for checking it out, hope you liked.
>>
>>3625172
Yeah, I had half a mind to try something with bondo or epoxy clay, but it was so close to cherry at this state I didn't want murphy's law to somehow come in and ruin everything at the last second.
>>
one more of it sitting with the rest of my weird-ass setup.
>>
Good job, op! It genuinely makes me happy when people do this kind of stuff. Also, great gift, you're a bro.
>>
glad someone else in this world tries not to be a cannibal shitter
it is pretty fuckin weird that there aren't snes shells around, like I can't find a single one either
people jack off to the snes all the time, yet even shit like the dreamcast has super common replacements
>>
>>3625190
OP here. I'm wondering if theres no replacement shells for SNES yet because there are so many individual parts that would require mold tooling. Gets expensive real fast.

I guess people could start trying to make 3d printed repros but I don't like how 3d printed stuff looks. Too grainy and stairsteppy.
>>
Do some people prefer the two-tone color shell?
>>
>>3625139
Even though it felt like a blog, it was still interesting to read and like other posters said, it's good to see someone trying to salvage "broken consoles".

>>3625327

>> Do some people prefer the two-tone color SNES? Are they more valuable?

You mean the American SNES? Not necessarily cause you can use Super Famicoms as well as you can see in >>3625180 but it's just that the SNES was very popular in America and most people just want to grab the version they've grown accustomed to
and therefore, has more demand and has higher prices.

I'm saying that as a europoor who's basing this on things I read online but unless someone corrects me I assume this to be the case. Likewise, I just got a PAL SNES even though it's slightly slower than the other SNES or the Super Famicom because it's more convenient for me. SD2SNES (and Super Everdrive) can play roms from several regions and it's possible to mod a console anyway if it's actually preferred.
>>
>>3625139
I bought an as-is N64 at a pawn shop a week or so ago. No cables, just the system The dude said he didn't know what was wrong with. I thought it was worth the risk so I bought it. Hooked up later and it played no problem. I wonder why they thought it was broken? Maybe it just didn't boot up the first time they tried a game. They even had a couple of other N64s there for $40-$50.

>>3625156
How much did the new shell run you?
>>
>>3625139
My man, this was good stuff. Kudos.
>>
>>3625175
enjoyed, thanks. wish there were more threads like this.
>>
>>3626029
>>3626401

It's relevant to the board and started a discussion. Considering the amount of deliberate shitposting I'm sure you don't bother to pretend to give a fuck about, you're just being a cunt.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_222112.jpg (1MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_222112.jpg
1MB, 1564x1564px
>>3625152
>>
>>3625175
Really enjoyed it.

What kind of bird is that in the pic? (If that's even a real one)
>>
Is OP still here? I have a SNES I want to send him to see if he can fix it.
>>
File: DSCF5049.jpg (1MB, 2000x2666px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5049.jpg
1MB, 2000x2666px
OP is really lucky his SNES didn't have a dead CPU. Take it from a filthy reseller like me who cleans and repairs broken SNESes for resale daily that about half the SHVC models I buy on eBay that are described as "broken" have bad CPUs (in addition to roaches and the like). I only cannibalize consoles that are so badly liquid-damaged as to be nearly impossible to fix with jumper wires. Even then, I just take the CPUs and PPUs and resell the boards, so someone who wanted to run like 50 wires this way and that could still fix them if they wanted to.
>>
>>3626604
>people sometimes look a little bit alike
retard
>>
>watch me repair a broken SNES using nothing but working SNES parts
>>
>>3626604
The ears are way off.
>>
>>3626825
how in the fuck does it get so dirty
>>
>>3627705
that is roach shit, they love to live in electronics
>>
>>3627705
>>3628556
There's a roach in your cell phone right now.
>>
>>3627705
Burgers are disgusting filthy pigs, that's why.
You never see any Super Famicoms degraded like this. Probably not PAL SNESes either.
>>
>>3625171
Can't just fill it with Bondo?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.