[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been using an OG Xbox for emulation purposes. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Xbogs.jpg (85KB, 603x877px) Image search: [Google]
Xbogs.jpg
85KB, 603x877px
I've been using an OG Xbox for emulation purposes.

I'm looking into how to get the best video quality out of the machine, and I see it had component cables. The problem is, my receiver doesn't accept component for 480p/720p/1080i or whatever the Xbox could do.

Any recommendations on how to convert the OG Xbox into HDMI?
>>
Did you make sure to enable 480p/720p/1080i in the xbox video setting? Also, a Wii makes for a much better emulation machine.
>>
>>3623356
Yeah, I don't have any of the component cables or anything yet.

I just recently updated my Xbox's mod and I have so many games on there and everything's set up.

I'd have the same problem with the Wii, I think, since it's component only and I'd need to convert it to HDMI. But I guess the Wii2Hdmi works easily.
>>
>>3623359
You're only bet is to get the Monster Component cables for the Xbox and buy a Component to HDMI converter.
>>
>>3623365
Monster Component Cables? Don't I need some special AV box for the Xbox?
>>
Why not just use something else that can output HDMI normally? They can't be worse than a P3.
>>
If you're just going to use HDMI, you might as well just be using a powerful PC.
>>
>>3623347
So you have an av reciever with no component inputs and a tv with no analog input? Youre going to need a converter. My denon amp does component to hdmi fine you just have to turn the line doubling off.(480I-P in my menu).

HD pack is nice because you can use an optical cable for true surround sound. but any component cable will work.

the resolution options on the xbox arent selectable until it detects a component cable.
>>
Get a TV with component
>>
>>3623347
Google RGB Master Class. The two guys look and talk like autistic manchildren well past their prime but they do great videos on getting the best quality picture for consoles, covering all bases like output format, what kind of display being used, even hardware/software hacks that you can use.
>>
>>3623479
What is the HD Pack called? I cant' find it on Ebay.
>>
>>3623479
Sounds like he won't be able to use the HD pack because he has to convert it to HDMI.
>>
Since we're talking about the Xbox, how is the reliability on these things? I've been thinking about picking one up, but I don't want to do a bunch of maintenance on it.
>>
>>3623860
Not including the controllers its a beast. I assume you won't be using the disk drive and you will be putting in a brand new hard drive.
Buy wireless controllers for whatever reason the controllers for this thing are flimsy as hell and only my wireless one has lasted
>>
File: 41E9F5NAKCL.jpg (26KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
41E9F5NAKCL.jpg
26KB, 500x357px
>>3623368
No brother, I have the same cables that I found in a goodwill that sold with the system for $30.

That adapter that you're thinking of was so that you could plug that in then just use any old component cables from radio shack or walmart or what not.

The monster one just plugs right into the Xbox itself ready to go since it utilizes that plug so it's all ready to go.

But fair warning, while the Monster Component cables are really great when it comes to build quality the cables that plug into the TV itself are a really tight fit and I would suggest bending them back a bit because the hold that it has is so damn tight.

Also before I started using those cables I just purchased an off brand Xbox specific Component cable I found on Ebay for like $10 and the results are the same when it comes to video quality.
>>
>>3623880
Interesting. Yeah I'd like to mod one eventually, but I would probably be using the disc drive at first. Can the HDD and DVD-ROM be swapped out with standard components of the era? I know that the HDD is standard IDE, I assume the DVD drive is too. Thought the HDD probably needs special formatting/software?
>>
>>3623860
I have 3 of them, and I can say they are great as long as you don't have the Thomson DVD drive model.

I was also incredibly lucky to find 2 of them with great DVD disc drives, one being Samsung and the other being the very rare Hitachi drive. My Thomson one can't read a game for shit and plays maybe 2 out of the 40 physical Xbox games I own while my Samsung one plays 38 of them perfect except for 2 games which have a little bit of scratches but my Hitachi one can play all 40 of them perfect even the scratched ones flawlessly.

If you do decide to end up modding your Xbox you can easily do it, first then I would invest in is a Sabrent IDE To SATA board, it takes the frustration of trying to find a good IDE HDD and you can just throw any decent 1TB HDD SATA drive in there.
>>
>>3623882
>Thought the HDD probably needs special formatting/software?
You have to appreciate it is all pc parts. IIRC the only problem with swapping out the dvd drive is the replacements can't play genuine games
The program Chimp on a modded xbox allows you to clone your old hard drive to the new one by swapping the cable from your dvd drive to the new hard drive temporarily.
The controll wires are actually just usb wires with a proprietry head. I soldered a broken control to a usb port and can plug in usb sticks
>>
>>3623884
Thanks for your insight, it is appreciated. They pop up at my Goodwill frequently, and I've been tempted to grab one. Do you clone the stock drive over to the new one, or does the system format it?
>>
>>3623894
And that answers my question, thank you! So it sounds like a replacement DVD would only play burned games? Cause that's not really a huge issue haha. I've seen USB adapters for the controller ports as well, there's kits on eBay for easy modding now it seems.
>>
>>3623897
>burned games
You can play games straight from the hard drive look up xbmc xbox
>>
>>3623898
This.
Once I slapped a big HDD in mine I only used the DVD drive to rip all my games.
>>
I mostly want the Xbox to play the original Xbox games like Fable, because the Xbox 360 is a piece of shit with backwards compatibility.

Even though Xbox gives good options for output, modern displays phased out component so you need a pretty decent Component to HDMI so it won't be lossless.

As for emulation on the Xbox, it's fucking great. Kind of outdated now but I love it.
>>
>>3623880
Which wireless controllers are you using?
>>
>>3623881
Ah, cool. So I basically just need a Monster Component Cable set and a component to HDMI converter.
>>
>>3623729
"high definition av pack"
they're not cheap but they are the only way to get true multi channel surround. You might get lucky and find one at a pawn shop or thrift store

>>3623729
uwat? it uses a standard component cable.
>>
>>3623860
I've had a 1.6 die on me.
Bought a 1.0, removed capacitor and put in the 1.6 DVD drive and I've been pretty happy. I'm not very convinced of the build quality of Microsoft product, especially with the clock capacitor being what it is.
>>
>>3624701
Why would the high definition av pack give true surround sound but the monster component cables wouldnt?
>>
>>3626806
uh
>>
>>3623880
This, controllers suck ass but mine has to be one of the most abused ones (smashed casing, old, came from a smoker's house) and it still runs like a champ.

PS2 is the other way around, controllers are tanks but the console is frail.
>>
>>3623882
>Thought the HDD probably needs special formatting/software?
Yeah, it needs to be formatted (xfat) and you need a drive that can be locked/unlocked by software. additionally you have to copy the key from the original drive to the new one and use a gamesave hack to install the dashboards using a usb to memory card adapter.

theres tutorials online, just google around till you find one
>>
File: billlcosby.gif (438KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
billlcosby.gif
438KB, 500x376px
>>3623479
>HD pack is nice because you can use an optical cable for true surround sound

Man I found an HD pack a few days ago at a pawn shop for $5 Canadian. Pawn shops are better than thrift stores these days IMHO
>>
>>3626806
standard audio cables dont have the bandwidth to carry 5 channels plus the sub so you get 3 front channels and a rear mono channel. Optical can do the full 5.1
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.