[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best currently available solution for refurbishing/replacing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: CqvZLquW8AIcnGf.jpg (131KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
CqvZLquW8AIcnGf.jpg
131KB, 1200x900px
What's the best currently available solution for refurbishing/replacing N64 analog sticks?
Those steel sticks look great but I get the impression they're still a long way from being available
>>
pls help
>>
gamecube to N64 controller adapter
>>
>>3623404
someone pls link me to a .stl file for the arm gear thingies used in the thumbstick to turn the gears in the device i cannot find a single fucking thing on them. I managed to find the bowl, but not the actual arms themselves
>>
>>3623405
i recall reading that the Gamecube joystick has some deadzone issues compared to the N64 one.
Or was that just referring to Virtual Console games?
Is the Hori controller just as good as N64?
>>
>>3623427
>Hori controller
its pretty good, unless you want to play rasslin games.
>>
>>3623442
fine, but I would still prefer the idea of an 'immortal' N64 stick, if that's possible today.

Are these ENKKO sticks any good? Are they greased up to avoid wear?
>>
>>3623427
>Or was that just referring to Virtual Console games?
Yes.

I have the adapter and it works fine
>>
>>3624335
Is it easy to spraypaint the Gamecube buttons so they match the N64 colours?
i.e. from green/red to blue/green?
>>
>>3623206
German guy
>>
>>3624623
?
>>
>>3623206
The best solution is to find a good OEM stick and lube it with silicone grease from a squeeze can (not the spray kind).
>>
>>3624637
Sorry I dont have the link anymore, but there is a guy in germany, hopefully he still does this, but he sells replacement n64 sticks, and they are very similar to gamecube style.

They are not like the cheap ones you find on ebay, they are incredibly well made. I bought one a couple years ago and installed it into one of my controllers and its the controller I primarily use. Its awesome.

I hope he still sells them, just google around and you will find something. Search something like german guy n64 replacement sticks
>>
>>3624793
cool, so gamecube sticks in a 64 controller have no downsides compares to an original 64 stick?
>>
>>3623447
He hasn't released them yet.
>>
>>3624805
I bought one of the replacement Gamecube sticks and it has more resistance when pushing up than the other directions. I had to glue my controller shut because one of the screw terminals broke when I was putting it back together so I'm stuck with a shit controller. If it worked well it would have been fine. Not as good as stock N64 one but fine.
If you get one, test it before installing.
>>
What is the best lubricant chemical to squirt into an N64 stick to keep it from wearing out?
>>
>>3623206
I'm working on it. I need to put together an injection press and get some schematics down. Molds are expensive too, but trust me, I'm working on it.
>>
>>3625074
Dubya dee
>>
>>3623206
Steelstick 64
>>
>>3624805
Well the way this guy make it was pretty good. I personally havent noticed any differences with it. He does explain in his manual pdf though, that games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark will feel off in the aiming, probably because the stick is thicker than the original stick. So when you press R the retical wont reach the edges of the screen like normal.

He thought of this and even gives you the option to solder a wire for a full-range mode on the circuit board. I didnt really need to do it personally but I thought why not. To enter full range mode you just have to hold R while turning on the system.

Hope you find the guys link, its probably the best alternative.
>>
File: 61NosZyZPuL._SL1500_.jpg (114KB, 583x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61NosZyZPuL._SL1500_.jpg
114KB, 583x1500px
>>3625074
Dielectric silicone grease.

>>3625084
That (or anything else in a spray can) is not a proper lubricant.
>>
>>3625109
Except all of the hundreds of lubricants that are in spray cans.

Silicon or white lithium specifically are best from spray cans.
>>
>>3625112
>Silicon or white lithium specifically are best from spray cans.
Maybe in tight places. Maybe.
However, The clearances inside an N64 stick is quite large, and as such requires the use of a thick grease. No spray will provide ample long lasting lubrication.
>>
>>3625109
I know WD40 isn't appropriate. I just wanted to post "dubya dee". Also it smells nice.
>>
>>3623427
Nope the adapter is pretty perfect and amazing to use with a wavebird. Hori controller is really good too, just don't expect the stick to feel anything like a 64 or even a GameCube.

On the subject of steel sticks...
I'm not sure if anyone knows this but the man behind it plans on charging $100 per stick. I have 3 controllers, I'm not too sure if I want to drop $300 for some sweet sticks when I could get 3 adapters for less than $100.
>>
>>3625219
I thought the steel sticks were still ages way from being available to buy. Was I wrong? I'd buy one if they live up to the hype
>>
I got some circuit boards from a german guy that were programmed to make the gamecube sticks act more like an official stick. The problem with the unmodded gamecube ones is that they go from zero to full blast much quicker than the official sticks. So things like making mario walk is harder.
>>
>>3625219
What would you say is better out of a gamecube controller with adapter vs Hori controller?
>>
>>3623427
No that was for the Gamecube-style replacement sticks for the N64 controller, not an actual Gamecube controller adapter for N64. My Life In Gaming did a good video on them clearly showing that while cheap and feeling great compared to the normal sticks, they should not be considered 1:1 replacements in terms of actual gaming performance.
https://youtu.be/o3GYtAyRCOo?t=396

As for the steel sticks I've never been able to get one of those but I've heard the performance is great and well worth the price, just a little heavier to push around and require lubrication every now and then.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.