[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I wean myself from the belief Final Fantasy VIII is a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: FFVIII.jpg (42KB, 343x475px) Image search: [Google]
FFVIII.jpg
42KB, 343x475px
How can I wean myself from the belief Final Fantasy VIII is a good game just because it was the first FF game I played?
>>
>>3620804
Whether Final Fantasy VIII is a good game or not depends on how much you enjoyed it. If you like the game then there's no need to wean yourself off anything. If you don't like the game then just accept your opinion.

I had played all the Final Fantasies except 2 and 3 when 8 came out and I still think it's one of the better ones. (I don't think any of them are amazing)
>>
8 is not my first FF but I sitll think it's good, just so flawed up the butt they had to ruin Xenogears to salvage it. Personally, I think they tried to hard to make a successor to 7 but ended up failing because the concepts just weren't working out or laziness, like that time dimension bullshit and Ultimecia and everyone lived in the same orphanage. Wtf? Also the retarded junction system. Otherwise, close to being a great game.
>>
>>3620810
I will say it's increasingly hitting guilty pleasure territory for me the more FF games I play.
>>
>>3620817
Then enjoy it. It's different from the other games but it's systems are fun to play with. If it weren't for the cast and plot it would probably be fairly high on my list.
>>
I'm currently playing through VIII for the first time and I've played every previous FF. It's already way better than I expected.

Not amazing by any means, but I'm already enjoying it more than VII (which probably sounds like heresy but I didn't play VII until a year ago and nearly two decades of hype is hard to live up to). The Junctioning/GF system reminds me a lot of V's job system, which is probably my favorite game in the series.
>>
>>3620857
>but I didn't play VII until a year ago and nearly two decades of hype is hard to live up to

Don't worry you're not alone. I got FFVII the day it came out and it couldn't even live up to the hype that was around then. That's the game that taught me not to pay too much attention to stuff pre-release.
>>
>>3620804
so... you like FF8, but you're trying not to like it because...? Who gives a flying fuck? You like it. End of story, don't be a fag
>>
>>3620885
I want to have a normal opinion.
>>
File: Fishing590421_lg.jpg (14KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
Fishing590421_lg.jpg
14KB, 448x336px
>>3620886
Please be trolling. Even for /vr/ that's turbo stupid.
>>
>>3620886
You're acting like you have no free will, mate.
>>
File: 1429642000743.jpg (25KB, 579x329px) Image search: [Google]
1429642000743.jpg
25KB, 579x329px
>>3620886
>>
>>3620804
FF8 is based faggot
Suckadick
>>
>>3620857
>>3620862
I played and beat FFVII for the first time last year. I loved every minute of it, and it felt cool immersing myself in the real game after being exposed to the cultural impact of FFVII for so many years, and only experiencing the game itself secondhand via others.
>>
So you wish that you were the 90% of people that only played FFVII and were confused that FFVIII was a different game?
>>
File: 1399483670864.jpg (156KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1399483670864.jpg
156KB, 1440x1080px
>>3620886
Failed normalfags like you are the worst.
>>
>>3620909
Don't get me wrong, I still really liked FFVII and share a lot of your sentiments. But it was still hard to live up to the hype, especially coming from friends who never played older FFs.
>>
>>3620810
It's entirely possible to enjoy bad games. I like plenty of games that aren't very good, though FF8 isn't one of them.
>>
no reason to try and make yourself dislike FF8, its actually not that bad, its unique in that a lot of his core flaws can be pushed aside due to the junction system and how flexible and exploitable it is, you can't do anything for its story, but its still got pretty good gameplay and probably the most addicting mini game in any rpg, triple triad was so liked they even put it in FF14
>>
>>3621358

>you can't do anything for its story

You can pick all the 'asshole Squall' choices and laugh at it, at least. I found the story entertaining shlock, compared to VII it's pure nonsense but you could tell they were really trying, for better or worse.
>>
>>3620804
It IS a good game. It has a great battle system, great world map, the best FF bestiary with the least amount of monster recycling, and is overall fun to play.
>>
I guess watching Spoony's series of FF8 review videos would be a start. Most of /vr/ dismisses them out of hand just for being from an eceleb, but they were groundbreaking videos which were among the first ever to really attack that game and lay out why it sucks.
>>
>>3622064
spoony just parroted what the common opinion was when it was released, IE hurr i hate drawing magic this game sucks

this game had such an unfair ravaging from word of mouth, I can't think of any other game like it, and all because it followed fucking FF7 which everyone jizzed over, and was far worse than FF8, ironically
>>
>>3622069
Nah that wasn't parroting. That was real annoyance & anger coming from his own genuine opinion.
>>
>>3622073
You must have searched hard then if you think spoony revolutioned the way people think of FF8.

All the complains he brought up, most of which are total bullshit, have been common complains from retards since day one. Hell, I even remember the most famous vg reviewer in my country, which had this TV show in which he'd play the first 20mins of games in live conditions WAY before Youtube even existed, refusing to play the game and instead someone else played and reviewed it in his show.
IIRC that was before the game was even released.
>>
>>3622124
I never said he pioneered the opinion. I mean that his anger and annoying indicated that that's how he truly felt about the game. You yourself said those opinions were commonplace. Common opinions happen because many people arrive at it themselves, not because one guy says it and it gets parroted by everybody else.
>>
>I want others to decide for me what game I like
wew lad.

For every guy that hates FFVIII there's like 5 other people who love it. Who fucking cares
>>
>not spending 2 hours selecting instruments for the squad

If you hate ff8 you're a faggot
>>
>>3620804
8 is the only FF I can stomach. I've tried to play through most of them but found them to be such a drag, really don't get the hate that 8 gets though (9 is also pretty good too).
>>
File: untitled412.png (260KB, 845x1058px) Image search: [Google]
untitled412.png
260KB, 845x1058px
>>3620886
>>
>>3620804
FF8 doesn't really have palette swapped enemies. Unless you count the cactuar with a mustache.
It has a decent translation.
The original PS version had almost no bugs.
Overall it's very well put together.

If you need convincing just look at all the games that have done worst.
>>
>>3620804

Look I absolutely hate 8 but you don't have to force yourself to not like it just because some assholes on the Internet told you it was bad.

Keep your own opinion. Definitely Acknowledge the games flaws but flaws but that doesn't mean you have to stop liking it.
>>
Has no one created a rebalance hack to change the asinine level scaling?
>>
>>3620804
Replay it. If you hate it, it's a bad game. If you still like it, you have shit taste.
>>
>>3622685
Console games are a pain in the ass to mod. Japanese ones? Forget it
>>
>>3622736
There is a pc port
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.