[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't we just name the board "pre-2000s video games"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: consider this.jpg (17KB, 463x336px) Image search: [Google]
consider this.jpg
17KB, 463x336px
Why can't we just name the board "pre-2000s video games" to clear all the confusion? Retro is a very vague term anyway.
>>
No it isn't. Retro is everything before 6th gen. Hope this helped.
>>
>>3619817
I think it's supposed to be vague, interpret retro the way you want (within reason)
>>
>>3619817
>>3619819
No it isn't.

ret·ro1
ˈretrō/Submit
adjective
imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past.
"retro 60s fashions"
noun
clothes or music whose style or design is imitative of those of the recent past.
"a look that mixes Italian casual wear and American retro"
>>
>>3619817
not only this >>3619821, but "pre-2000s video games" doesn't exactly have the same ring as retro
>>
>>3619827
No, it just doesn't apply to what you think this board should be.

Have fun with your ban for abusing the report function :^)
>>
Or we could just get a /v2k/ board for 2000s gaming that isn't current gen.
>>
File: IMG_3378.jpg (55KB, 455x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3378.jpg
55KB, 455x300px
>>3619830
>>
>>3619819
>>3619823
> from the recent past
Exactly. This is very vague. You will forever have threads like "what becomes retro in 2017" because of this.

Moreover, it had been clearly stated that the rules won't change. So even in 10 years, this board will only allow pre-2000s games.

>>3619828
I agree, but it's much more descriptive
>>
>>3619845
What is vague about it?

re·cent
ˈrēs(ə)nt/
adjective
having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present.
"his recent visit to Britain"
synonyms: new, (the) latest, current, fresh, modern, contemporary, up-to-date, up-to-the-minute More
GEOLOGY
another term for Holocene.
nounGEOLOGY
the Holocene epoch.

past
past/Submit
adjective
gone by in time and no longer existing.
"the danger is now past"
synonyms: gone (by), over (and done with), no more, done, bygone, former, (of) old, olden, long-ago; literaryof yore
"memories of times past"
noun
the time or a period of time before the moment of speaking or writing.
"she found it hard to make ends meet in the past"
synonyms: formerly, previously, in days/years/times gone by, in former times, in the (good) old days, in days of old, in olden times, once (upon a time); More
GRAMMAR
a past tense or form of a verb.
"a simple past of the first conjugation"
preposition
to or on the further side of.
"he rode on past the crossroads"
adverb
so as to pass from one side of something to the other.
"large angelfish swim slowly past"
synonyms: along, by, on
"they hurried past"
>>
>>3619878
"Recent past" is ambiguous. It can be a million years ago or yesterday, depending on context. Who defines what's recent past in video games? No one in particular.

There's no strict time frame for what's "retro" or not in video games. This has been discussed here time and time again. Ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers. You can't make a rule like that
>>
>>3619917
But you can. See >>3619878 and >>3619823
>>
>>3619831
What'd that be, any vidya which is at least 10 years old? I admit I would rather see less splitting, but at the same time I also would like a proper place for these things to talk about.
>>
>>3619827
>Saged, Reported
You're not meant to announce reports fag, and announcing sage is done by incurable newfags who think it's a reverse bump or downvote; "Hey, guys, THIS post didn't bump the thread, what are you gonna do NOW?"
It suggests you were a newfag many years ago and never stopped being one.

>>3619837
You're truly the hero our board deserves, do you get pats on the back from the mods for backseat driving? Are people secretly saluting you for your bravery?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.