[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just don't consider this to be a Mario game. Why should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg (45KB, 256x359px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg
45KB, 256x359px
I just don't consider this to be a Mario game. Why should I? It's a ROM hack. They replaced graphics and I don't think any game becomes a Mario game all of a sudden with swapped sprites. The thing is: the music is AMAZING. It has all those famous Mario classics we all know and they kept on using. It's some weird irony that those songs aren't actual Mario songs or did they also replace the music (that would be new to me). It's also interesting to note that the characters got their signature features in this game (like Peach's floating thing). Now DOES this game introduce all the great music? I am asking because I can NOT remember any famous Mario song Mario Bros 3 on the NES introduced. Could you kindly tell me if there were any? I also SUCK at Mario Bros 2. Like I seriously suck. I've tried to beat the first level yesterday and I just wasn't able to make it.
>>
>>3617152

Remember when you were 12 and you all thought this? And then you turned 15 and you realized how dumb you were to think that in the first place?

Good times.
>>
>>3617160

yes

Miyamoto also had little to nothing to do with the development of 'The Lost Levels'/JP SMB2 but he was hands-on with this game.
>>
>>3617152
>I am asking because I can NOT remember any famous Mario song Mario Bros 3 on the NES introduced. Could you kindly tell me if there were any?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYWHiuRFQQ
>>
>I am asking because I can NOT remember any famous Mario song Mario Bros 3 on the NES introduced. Could you kindly tell me if there were any?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyEoRJP8ri4

Mario 3's ending theme also had a variation on the All-Stars version of SMB1 and Lost Levels.

I'm sure more SMB3 music was used, Smash Bros is a given.
>>
>>3617152
It's my favorite Mario game actually. It and Super Mario World 2 are the only two I really think are all that great.
>>
Hack implies a forced entry. This was a company leveraging its assets. The original Doki Doki Panic was obviously inspired by Mario-style platforming.
>>
>>3617152
>Why should I?

Because Miyamoto made Doki Doki Panic
Because he was in charge of turning it to a Mario game, and there were much more changes than what you claim.
Because many things from it, from enemies, musics, behaviours, etc were re-used in later Mario games, so this one set quite the tone.

Because if anything Lost Level is the one that's the closest to a shitty cash-in "romhack", and I'm astounished when people claim it's the contrary.
>>
>>3617269
Also add that a romhack, from my experience, uses the same assets. From what I've seen, there are very few, if any, new assets in SMB2 Japan.
>>
>>3617160
If by "the devs" you mean "delusional Americans" then yes
>>
>>3617152
If you're talking about the music I think you're talking about, those were just re-used themes from Mario 1. (Title Screen, Starman, and Subspace.)
Nintendo literally never uses any music that actually originated from DokiDoki/SMB2.
They do seem to like re-using Shyguys, though.
>>
>>3617152
>It has all those famous Mario classics we all know
Like what? The only familiar tune in there is the waltz during the "attract mode", but that was also the water music in SMB1.
>>
>>3617269
>I'm astounished when people claim it's the contrary

Don't mind them, they just wanna be contrarian for the sake of it.
>>
>>3617269
you're retarded.
he is only producer on dokidoki panic. on mario+2 he is director AND producer.
if working on different game magically makes it a mario game then excitebike = mario.
it is cash in for americans who don't know what yume koujou is. change characters into mario + minor changes. unlike mario 2 which is designed by miyamoto+tezuka entirely.

ameritrumps are just mad they were lied to and try to rewrite history by pretending it is actually the real mario. but everyone else knows it is bullshit.
>>
>>3617380

Super Mario 2 (as it's known in 3rd world nations, "Super Mario USA") is more of a Mario game than:

>Super Mario Land
>Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
>Dr. Mario
>>
>>3617402
stupid anon who keeps using ad hominems who can't give some real arguments either.

What's up with people shitposting about "The Real SMB2" anyway? As if that video by THAT guy wasn't stupid enough as it is. Is it even necessary to hate one and love the other?
>>
>>3617338
>Nintendo literally never uses any music that actually originated from DokiDoki/SMB2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKroRI0Fd8
>>
>>3617152

Are we really THAT desperate for decent discussions?
>>
>>3617327
Americans had nothing to do with the actual development of this game. The game was handled from beginning to end by Japanese developers and primarily the team that worked on the first Super Mario at that.
>>
Doki Doki Panic actually started as a vertical scrolling / co-op demo with Mario & Luigi. Then the engine got used for DDP. Then they re-re-vamped it back into a Mario game.

It's like pottery, it goes in a circle
>>
SMB2 gave us many staples of the Mario universe

Shyguys
Snifits
Pokeys
Birdo
Ninjis
Luigi being taller than Mario, and his airy jump
>>
It has mostly the same music from doki doki, with slight differences, like when you go into the door to the other dimension it's this middle eastern music instead of the mario theme, that and they added a part to the first song in the USA version. Go emulate doki doki and you'll see, I feel like its aesthetic is way more consistent. And I agree both games have wonderful soundtracks
>>
did u no Mario 2 was actually Double Doorknob Piechart?
>>
Anyone finds weird that a lot of popular sequels on the NES were very different from the first games?

Zelda, Castlevania, Final Fantasy (japan only but it still counts), Mario, these seems to be the black sheep of the series but they actually set the precedents of many elements for future games.

>>3617152
Mario USA it's actually a lot better than Lost Levels, maybe if you stopped being a retarded weeb you would appreciate more the effort that went into american Mario 2.
>>
>>3617380
>on mario+2 he is director AND producer.

Right, because you can tell the difference between the two when we're dealing with late 80's jap video games teams consisting of less than 10 people ?
>>
>>3617152
They wanted this to be a Mario game from the very beginning, but then turned it into a license game. Then they noticed that they can't 100% own it as long as there is another IP involved and turned it back into Mario to fully own it. Now they can rerelease it without giving a fuck about that mask festival.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9o9zzCUsQ
>>
>>3618853
wrong
>>
If anything the original japanese Mario Bros 2 is a shitty game unworthy to be the second Mario Bros game.

SMB2 is a great game.
>>
Lost Levels (Japanese SMB2) is more of a ROM hack than SMB2 (USA).
>>
>>3618923
Both could easily be """""rom hacks""""" (only retards think that's a valid argument anyway).
Difference is SMB2 has new content while dokidoki panic burger edition is a copy-paste with nothing but sprite changes, downgrades from going from FDS to cartridge, and minor mostly visual changes.
>>
>>3619028
>with nothing but sprite changes

Proof that you haven't played Doki Doki Panic and that you're just talking out of your ass
>>
>>3617152
Not kidding this is genuine autism folks
>>
SMB2/USA is still my favorite 2D Mario game.

>I just don't consider this to be a Mario game. Why should I? It's a ROM hack.

Not gonna lie "ROM hack" is all I think when I see Lost Levels.
>>
>>3619171
Yeah, it is.

Hot damn.
>>
File: cm.png (409KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cm.png
409KB, 1024x1280px
>tfw I played the main mario games in this order SMB3, SMB1, SMW(briefly at a friend's), SMB2(USA), SMW (now fully on my own), SMB All Stars (and thus, LL)
>>
File: mario 2.png (17KB, 584x444px) Image search: [Google]
mario 2.png
17KB, 584x444px
>>3619028
wow
such content
much originality
very japanes

It's like saying Mario 64 DS it's an actual mario game while Galaxy isn't because it started as something else just like mario 2 USA.
>>
If SMB2 is so great why Nintendo doesn't give a shit about it?

They didn't even care to include the graphical differences to the original SMB in All Stars, while Mario USA, SMB3 and even SMW got completely new assets (Luigi doesn't look like a green mario on All Stars).

It never got a game boy color port like SMB, a GBA port like SMB2 USA and its "innovations" like annoying wind, springs that send you flying into the air all got ignored compared to the much more fleshed out gameplay mechanics of Mario 2 USA, you could argue that the difference in the gameplay of the mario brothers originated from here, but that got more fleshed out in any other game, and the "fast character" spot went to Toad anyway.

Really makes you think desu.

Note that i don't actually dislike any classic mario game and i think japanese mario 2 is a good game, i just want the OP to stop being a fag.
>>
>>3617162
/fuckingThread
>>
File: 1451007854289.jpg (31KB, 365x352px) Image search: [Google]
1451007854289.jpg
31KB, 365x352px
>>3618848
>>
>>3618923
It has a slightly altered physics engine. For example, it allows you to jump higher off of enemies.
>>
>>3620620
cow
>>
File: dokidokipanic.jpg (277KB, 1024x663px) Image search: [Google]
dokidokipanic.jpg
277KB, 1024x663px
>>3617152
>I just don't consider this to be a Mario game

That's because it really isn't and wasn't meant to be.

It's just a filthy reskin of an obscure piece of shit to cash in on the Mario mania.

It's lazy bullshit.
>>
>>3621049
The original Super Mario Brothers 2 (aka Lost Levels here in the States) was deemed to difficult for American gamers. Which makes no fucking sense imo because have you played half the games on the NES? Many are very difficult. My understanding is that this "rip" was basically panicked move to make a game in a short amount of time to replace it. Even though it is a bit unorthodox for Mario, it's still one of my favorites.
>>
>>3617239
Really? I'm genuinely curious why you don't think Mario 1, 3, and World aren't that great. I think they're fundamentally better than 2 and World 2 ...
>>
>>3621060
They're mostly just bland. SMB1 I can at least give the excuse of "Oh it was an early game. They hadn't invented flavor yet." But it's just run and jump. That's it.

Mario 3 suffers from a similar fate however, and it was much later. The whole game is just run and jump. They did at least add a bit to the mix with the ability to fly and the frog suit, but overall there just isn't much to it outside of basic platforming. Once again, they leave out a significant amount of flavor and character. It's just this bland world with essentially nothing to make any of the characters come together as something to enjoy (for example, mario and luigi being exactly the same outside of color, no explanation as to why mario or luigi care, and even less explanation regarding their relation to the world they interact with).

Super Mario World is at least better about this giving a degree of explanation as to what is going on, but still doesn't do it well and also manages to fail in bringing mario's motivations into the picture. Also the cape? Don't even get me started on how much that thing ruins the entire game...

Post too long, continuing...
>>
>>3621092
Mario 2 not only has different sprites for everyone, but they each have their own characteristics *and* the story very clearly states what got them into this mess and why they should care that they did. Even further, the game have its own mechanics. No longer is it just "jump a lot: the game". You throw thing, unlock doors, fly in the sky, dig, throw bombs, ride magic carpets, go into parallel universes that are reminiscent of dark world from ALttP. The game has a lot of things that really make it a solid entity of its own with unique flavor and excitement. Super Mario World 2 does this as well. Very clearly explains what motivation Yoshi has for being there, the art style is unique and fitting for the characters. Yoshi has his own built in mechanics added with the egg making/throwing alone, not to mention the various other bits added like the vehicle segments, touch fuzzy get dizzy, the enemies being as cutesy as yoshi is. The only real problem with that game is that baby mario is annoying as fuck, but that can be fixed with a simple IPS patch.

TLDR:
Mario 1 and 2 are bland as fuck and have literally zero sense of immersion.
>>
>>3621095
Correction:
Mario 1, 3, and SMW are bland as fuck*

My bad. Writing from my phone and spaced near the end.
>>
Who gives a dick which Mario 2 is the real Mario 2? (It's Lost Levels btw). The cool thing is we have two Mario 2's to choose from that offer different experiences.
>>
Considering it has had an impact on the series, I'd say it's an official title. You could say it's an un-numbered title, but it's still part of the series.
It gave us Bob-ombs, Shy Guys, Pokeys and Birdo. It also gave Luigi his air-kick and Peach got most of her abilities from it.
Basically, Nintendo seems to be regarding it as an actual Mario game, and seeing that it fits in well enough and that it's elements make their way into new Mario games, I can't argue with that.
>>
>>3619370
>It never got a game boy color port
https://youtu.be/3gI6SiaEvKA
>>
>>3621095
Totally agree

My sister and I got a NES in 1989 when I was 5 and it came with Mario 1. We loved Mario 1, but when we got Mario 2 we were stunned by how much there was to do in the game.

No time limit.
HUGE levels with all sorts of secrets and different paths.
Bosses in almost every level (different Birdos) and real bosses in every world.
Figuring out how to warp was awesome.
The fucking phanto masks made us scream with terror.
The slot machine was fun as hell.
Having four different characters was awesome as were how differently they controlled
The instruction manual was really awesome too
We played the hell out of Mario 2 and in some ways we even liked it better than Mario 3.

Don't get me wrong, Mario 3 is amazing. We just enjoyed the scope of the Mario 2 levels more. It only had 20 levels, but all 20 levels in Mario 2 were massive compared to the 80+ levels in Mario 3 where many were very short and/or straight forward.
I am so glad Lost Levels wasn't released in the USA. It's a glorified map pack and we would have stopped playing it pretty quickly.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.