[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I enjoyed other adventure games, but not Myst. Anyone else

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: MystCover.png (109KB, 256x307px) Image search: [Google]
MystCover.png
109KB, 256x307px
I enjoyed other adventure games, but not Myst. Anyone else feel the same way?
>>
>>3614801
I do sadly, although I started with Riven.
>>
Myst for me was kind of a weird game, by the time I played it it was already in the discount bin. I got it as a present at Christmas.

The problem mainly was that I didn't speak English back then, so I didn't have much direction. I did manage to complete the game through trial and error eventually though, but never got the good ending.

I liked the game I suppose, but I also had bad dreams from it. The loneliness and remoteness got to me, and so did the sound effects. I should probably give it another go, is Riven any good by the way?
>>
Myst should be seen in a context. It had the similar effect some 8K HIGH DEFINITION 3D VR JIZZ BOTTLE NOT INCLUDED MULTIMEDIA PROJECT would have today.
>>
Myst is lonely as, and gives no motivation.
Play Zork Nemesis instead.
>>
>>3615275
This.

Only problem is they are all equally shit.
>>
>>3614801
There are like a million "other adventure games" so for all I know you just don't like first-person ones. If you played a bunch of games similar to Myst but still didn't like Myst I guess that would be notable, if all you played was Monkey Island then yeah there are obviously different so not exactly a big Mystery
>>
Myst was the first of its kind ,I do think it's a great game though ,if you never get off the main island and get stuck then yeah it seems like a shitty game but when you start to progress through the game and enter the different worlds it's pretty sweet,I felt really immersed in what felt like an alien world
>>
My biggest problem with getting into this game, was how inconsistent the movement was. You click forward and instead it curves or zig-zags along some path you can't see. Combined with the 90 degree rotations and weird screen transitions, I didn't feel entirely in control of where I was going. More just going in that general direction and hoping I can wiggle my way there.
>>
>>3614878
I love Riven, most people tend to like it far more than Myst.
>>
I wish I could get RealMyst to work on modern systems. There's just something about the look that I can't stop loving.
>>
>>3614801
I played this game in high school and loved it,it's what me to play other adventure games... sadly though,i will agree. Once I played others, Myst didn't hold up as well.
>>
>>3616793
>I wish I could get RealMyst to work on modern systems.

They recently released an updated version of it, realMyst: Masterpiece Edition.
>>
>>3616836
Yeah but I'd prefer to just run regular realMyst. I don't like the look of Masterpiece Edition.
>>
I'm not fond of Myst, but that's because I'm total shit at abstract puzzles.
It's still a very interesting game nowadays.
>>
>>3614801
I enjoyed the atmosphere as a kid. The Piano Note Spaceship drove me to literal tears though. I knew how to solve the puzzle, but inputting the correct answer was impossible. I couldn't match tone by ear, so you just had the count the number of tones on the piano. Good luck counting tones on the sliders with a 90s ball mouse.
>>
i think it really depends when you played it.

for me it was a time of transition for PC gaming, nothing had really been put out like it. The graphics were, imo, the main draw for anyone unfamiliar with the gameplay.

My dad and I played through it originally, easier to solve puzzles with 2 people. Was an experience and gave you an idea of the potential for realism in games, even if they were just point and click stuff etc.

I think other 'adventure games' from Lucas Arts and Sierra brought the genre to a whole different level and offered far more to it than Myst did, but it's kind of in lore status now
>>
>>3617308
As a color impaired fan of adventure games, whenever I hear that people get stuck on a puzzle because they can't match audio tones I just laugh and laugh. At least I can send a screenshot to a friend and have them ID the colors for me.
>>
another thing i'll add is that games like Myst always had be on edge, and i didnt care to play for long periods.

Even though it was not a horror game or had anything that really was very scary, the ambiance and sounds/music had me tense as fuck when playing, almost anticpating somthing to jump out.

Even watching the Real Myst playthrough on youtube kind of has me on edge
>>
File: riven_boiler.jpg (202KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
riven_boiler.jpg
202KB, 1280x960px
>>3617686
What Myst brought was a level of seriousness, for lack of a better word, to adventure games that wasn't common even if some games attempted a similar tone. Yeah, it has some silly puzzles and structures that it tries to excuse by calling the game "surreal," but there is zero goofiness. At least not intentionally. You don't do anything like in the 7th Guest where you solve a puzzle by slicing a cake the right way. It attempts "you are really there" immersion not only through the graphics but by having the interaction and puzzle solving be the sorts of things you, the player, would probably do if you were free to wander around this environment. It didn't always pull it off believably but it tried harder than any other game of that era. This is the same reason a lot of people find it dull and soulless compared to Monkey Island-type games, but that's fine, different preferences and all that.

Riven committed to this idea 100% and remains a masterpiece.
>>
>>3617705
I should add that I'm talking about graphic adventure games here. Text adventures were experimenting with serious settings and problems since the early 80s.
>>
>>3614801
Eh, some adventure games I like and others I don't.
What pisses me off about Myst in particular is no access to repeating information if you missed it. The interface is also awful and the angles for scene movement are sort of poorly chosen.
Also if I recall there's at least one room you can't get out if you don't do shit first. Without any clickable shit in any direction.
>>
>>3617690
>send a screenshot to a friend and have them ID the colors for me
Sample colors from the screenshot and check their hex values.
>>
I didn't like it because I'm pretty autistic and it didn't make sense to me. The entire setting, its metaphysics and the like were too absurd and caricatured for me. It's like that hollow, trippy 'vaporwave' garbage I also can't stand.
>>
Just got a cib Riven discs with the guide book for $2 at savers. How'd I do senpai?

This is one of my favorite childhood games, I use to sit with my mother and we'd play this series, this was a few years before she died of cancer too and besides this and Mario Bros. we didn't play games together.
>>
>>3621086
>>used to have the full package of Riven with all discs and the strategy guide and gave it away

God fucking damn it, I'm still mad at myself for that regretful decision.

I think it's a good deal. It's been years since I played the game myself but it's a great deal for a few bucks.
>>
>>3614801
bump
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.