[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For anyone interested, a Rockman X3 prototype was released t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: rmx3p.png (72KB, 640x267px) Image search: [Google]
rmx3p.png
72KB, 640x267px
For anyone interested, a Rockman X3 prototype was released today.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2016/11/rockman-x3-prototype-version-released.html
>>
>>3612457
I want the MMX proto with white city. whites only.
>>
>>3612474

I'd love to see that as well, but I wouldn't hold my breath. SNES X-series prototypes seem to be quite rare, especially considering this version of X3 took 20 years to reach the internet and there seem to be very little documentation of the physical prototype carts to begin with, but who knows.
>>
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_X3_(SNES)

>To do:
>Make sure the Rockman X3 prototype is dumped and released.
>It's dumped.
>It's released.

>Now to cover it.

SOON

How do they even get their hands on shit like this
>>
>>3612731
got a hold of it from ex-capcom employees somehow
>>
One can assume that most protos come from former (or current) employees, publications or shops/distributors/whoever who received them and chose not to return them (either out of intentional theft or the company just never bothered requesting a return), or taken from a convention. In any event, after all of these years this could easily be one of the only copies of this particular version to exist in private hands, so it is quite lucky that it wound up preserved.
>>
This "rocks".
>>
Whats different?
Is it better than the final game or something
>>
Damn there is quite a lot of background details not in the final release that look great, why would they remove them?
>>
>>3613368

From my playing so far Blizzard buffalo doesn't fire his kamehameha and doesn't get fooled by leg upgrade dash upwards, some enemies if you get damaged by put you onto the ground in a state that you cant get out off, some background effects are different, no squid mini boss in toxic seahorse.

Those enemies that reform with rocks after you destroy them put you into a massive hitstun that you cant recover from as well.

enemy behavior is also different too, like viles fire shooting being delayed or other shit being delayed.
>>
>>3613437

He does fire the ice beam, though he actually fires it more kamehameha style (from his palm) than in the final version where it is fired from an arm cannon.

There is on good removed feature, the different color armors for the special upgrades. Tiger and Catfish also have very different sprite work, with Catfish having a comical shoop da woop face which I think matches well with the silliness of a catfish boss.

You might be able to recover from the stun, but I'd have to verify again. I've played it quite a bit over the past few months (I'm the person who dumped it) but I can't recall if mashing buttons did anything to recover from it.

Also, the arm cannon upgrade is broken, because it charges to green even when you don't have the Z-sabre, forcing you to use just regular shots after a charged blast until you change weapons. It is resolved if you get the Z-sabre.
>>
>>3613453
Care to share the story? Did you buy it from someone or you suddenly felt like sharing it after all this time?
>>
The stun thing is awful what were they thinking, glad its not in the final game, quite a few background elements are more detailed and look better why did they change that; and no easy peasy Ice buffalo is nice.
Pretty cool and Im glad it was finally dumped
>>
>>3613468
Bought it. I suspect that the guy got it from another seller who was selling stuff for a Capcom employee. I personally got an item directly from that sell off, but I definitely don't recall seeing the RMX3 in the inventory list/photo I saw, so I do not know if he was the originator or not, just a guess based on timing. Either way, the owner before me seemed to have no plans for releasing it.

>>3613472
Yeah, the article that people are writing on TCRF seems to indicate that it is indeed a timed stun based on damage points. I'd not looked into it that closely, I just knew that it was annoying those times that it did happen. Interesting to see that they apparently did consider adding in a new gameplay "feature," but I too am glad that they took it out.
>>
>>3613578
>the owner before me seemed to have no plans for releasing it.

Why do people do that? Fucking assholes man.
Thanks a lot for doing the sensible thing and sharing it so it can be preserved.
>>
>>3612457
where is the link on their site? or am I just retarded?
>>
>>3613656
To the download?
green button on the right
>>
>>3613669
oooh ty anon.
>>
>>3613594

You're welcome. I'm a big X-series fan so I like having the original cart and thought it was interesting enough that I felt it would be worth sharing. There's an earlier version out there shown in EGM2 which, judging from the screenshots, has a few differences from this build. I doubt it'd be any more than maybe a month prior, but if I can ever locate it I'd like to get it.

The most interesting thing to me are the graphical changes. Maybe it had something to do with the Minakuchi Engineering outsourcing, but it sure seems that they made a lot of significant graphical changes somewhat close to the end of development. None Tiger maybe looks a bit better/cleaner in the final game, but some of the other changes seem to be changes for the sake of changing. Byte was certainly a lot more menacing looking in this build. Fun fact: you can see remnants of the early intro level background in the opening of the PS/SS versions of X3.
>>
>>3612457
I am curious how shitty the 3DO version was.
>>
>>3612474

Pics?
>>
File: nintendopower50.jpg (164KB, 1141x532px) Image search: [Google]
nintendopower50.jpg
164KB, 1141x532px
>>3614595
>>
>>3614596

Also, I do not know if this build has ever been shown in motion since I think all instances of these photos have been exactly the same. This probably indicates that they were PR shots distributed by Capcom. While that doesn't exactly mean anything, it doesn't immediately give the indication that they were linked to a preview cart sent out by Capcom which would logically reduce the chances of it turning up in the wild.

As with all prototypes, there is the definite possibility that it just didn't survive and that all EPROMs that used to hold the data have since been overwritten and reused or thrown away.
>>
File: mmx-24v7dw8.jpg (88KB, 529x639px)
mmx-24v7dw8.jpg
88KB, 529x639px
>>3612474
I want the X3 for DOS beta.

Or the Megaman X2 for DOS beta, just for ripping out any well mixed music tracks and slipping it into DOS X1.

Or the X2 for windows beta. Hah! As if any of these actually exists!
>>
>>3613453

He is supposed to fire the beam when under half hp irrc and I sat there for quite some time running around and he never did.

also been playing more and tiger and catfish sprites are hilarious.
>>
File: mmx3difference.jpg (461KB, 2128x932px) Image search: [Google]
mmx3difference.jpg
461KB, 2128x932px
>>3615009

also found this.
>>
>>3615009

I know he does, but I guess I'm not sure what triggers it. If you do get hit by the ray and break free, the shed ice graphics are glitched out.
>>
>>3615140

I've also noticed crush crawlfish does his tackle move that he usually does at 1/2 hp right away as well.
>>
>>3615029

What's going on here?
>>
>>3615512
Backgrounds are quite different.
>>
>>3615529

Oh, yeah, most of the BG in that stage is rather different. Another change that I don't understand.
>>
>>3613437
>doesn't get fooled by leg upgrade dash upwards

That up-dash trap is the funnest dumb trick
>>
>>3613453
Is there a PAR code for the Z-sabre? Do any of the passwords work? I've tried googling for Rockman X3 codes and I only get the burger versions and none of them work.

Also one of the upgrade capsules flat out refuses to work. It's the one in Gravity Beetle's stage. Is there any way to "fix" that or do I just need a code?
>>
>>3616905

I think the one in Beetle's stage should work, though keep in mind that it is one of the special enhancement chips and not one of the regular upgrades.

I don't know about the Z-Saber code. It is in the game and you can acquire it by the same method as the retail game. I don't think the retail PAR codes will necessarily work in the proto, regardless of region. There is a code to force select the password screen and I think I was told that X2 passwords might actually work, but I've not tried it myself.
>>
>>3613401
You're in an image board, post em
>>
As someone who has done very heavy ROMhacking of X3, it is good to see the X2 T Tracer in the code here. Confirmed a longtime theory of mine that X3 was literally an X2 ROMhack (explaining the repeated need for the Cx4 chip as well). Feels really great to have that confirmed.
>>
>>3613453
>I'm the person who dumped it

Thanks!

>>3614596
Wow I had no idea the highway stage was set during the day at first
>>
>>3613453
Thank you for dumping this cart. I'm this anon >>3618010 and you have laid to rest longtime suspicions of mine which may have never been otherwise. I truly appreciate the effort you put in. Thank you, anon.

If you had a paypal, I'd donate.
>>
>>3618010
I'm curious, what made you think X2 and X3 were similae before? Was the ROM similar?
>>
>>3618241
The ROMs are extremely similar. On top of that, they have the same weird physics bits like how X can jump at the top of water as many times as he'd like, which isn't possible in X1.
>>
>>3618290
What explains that water thing? I never understood why that stuff happens.

I'd love to learn how the X games work. Like, a commented disassembly or something
>>
>>3618028

I guess it makes sense that they would use X2 as a base if they didn't have any intent to do much to the general gameplay. It is interesting that they apparently toyed with that stun mechanic, though I do think that it was too irritating especially since it was coupled with receiving a high amount of damage. I wish there were more info out there about the development, especially regarding what exactly Minakuchi Engineering did in terms of in-game graphics and if maybe that outsourcing had something to do with the visual overhauls experienced by certain stages and bosses. The funny thing is, I think the prototype versions of V. Catfish's sprites have a lot more character than the final ones. It also seems to match up a bit better with how he looks in the PS/SS cutscenes, but maybe that's just me.

And thanks for the offer. I do have PP, but this was released for free. The cart surely dipped in value after releasing it, but I don't plan to sell it so it really doesn't matter (and not to mention the big money collectors who can spend more on games than I can would probably prefer a boxed US copy of the game or something).
>>
What are some interesting notes about it?
>>
>>3619014

There's a WIP writeup here:

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Mega_Man_X3_(SNES)

Some interesting things are the different graphics for Volt Catfish, Neon Tiger, and Byte as well as different backgrounds in the intro stage, T. Rhino, G. Beetle, N. Tiger, and some of the Doppler stages. X also gets different armor colors depending on which special enhancement chip he has equipped, including a black ultimate armor instead of gold. There's nothing like scrapped levels or anything, but if you're a fan or the game you'll see a lot of differences from the final version.
>>
>>3614596
Well if someone recreated the Súper Mario World proto beta, the one with the weird map and SMB3 assets and powerups, they could recreate that.
>>
>>3618312
Essentially what's happening is when you enter the water, it's treated as an object with no collision (in order to apply the water physics). When you touch the top of the water, for a brief moment, the game (seeing that as an object) marks your variable for "if standing" true. Now this would normally cause X to display the standing sprite, however, the function for the water causes him to remain in the falling position by design. Back to being standing = true, however, Capcom seems to have forgotten to prevent this in the water coding, meaning for that split moment you can jump since standing = true. As you phase through the "object" (the water) you are no longer at foot level to an object so standing = false, meaning the trick will no longer work. Sorry if that is confusing... really hard to explain assembly over text, let alone to those who don't know assembly.
>>
Byte looks like a Megaman X4 sprite.

This kind of stuff will be neat for rom hackers.
>>
>>3619372
I'm somewhat familiar with asembly.... From what I've read a lot of Mega Drive games work like that, having a "standing-on-top?" bit. This seems like a really error prone way to do collision detection
>>
>>3619372
I guess I always figured that was an intentional thing since it is a way to get the armor chip in Seahorse's stage.
>>
>>3619413
Yeah, definitely not how you're supposed to get that armor chip. You're supposed to break the fans with the frog ride armor, then use a charged frost shield to float to the top.

You can actually use the water jumping trick in X2 to get the Bubble Crab sub tank early as well, which allows the game to completed without a stage return:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVZDv7lrTik
>>
>>3619062
>X also gets different armor colors depending on which special enhancement chip he has equipped, including a black ultimate armor instead of gold.

I wish they kept this
>>
>>3619993
I think the reason they didn't is cus X's colors are tied to the same colors used for X's death animation, which results in fucked up colors when you die after picking one of the chips. Just a guess though.
>>
>>3619995
That wouldn't be so bad if they were still nice-looking differently-colored explosions. Probably it made it look ugly though. Also I always thought the golden armor looked tacky.
>>
>>3619998
>I always thought the golden armor looked tacky.
It did. Also note that even the gold armor impacts that same explosion animation, which yes, with other pallets gets to be very ugly looking.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.