[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Powerslave!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 8

File: Power_Slave_cover_art.jpg (32KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
Power_Slave_cover_art.jpg
32KB, 300x372px
I was talking with a few friends this evening and we were trying to think of the 3 best (in our opinions) first person shooters and we started looking up older games on systems that probably went unlooked, I ended up finding powerslave and thought wait a minute that engine, and started to get very curious about how to play it, so with some googling I found that the doods at Lobotomy Software had made a enhanced version of the Msdos game and lets you play right away on win7 and thought it'd be cool to give it to good ol /vr/ so I could actually contribute for once.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z8pba9xnxzjjv2s/Powerslave+EX+v.1.0.0+%2B+patch+v.1.0.1.7z

all you have to do is extract the anubis patch from the powerslave_ex_patch_1_0_1 folder into the powerslave_ex_public_beta_1_0_0/powerslave_ex folder and yer good to go.

I hadn't seen it recommended yet on /vr/ and wanted to say it reminds me a lot of what Metroid Prime in an Egyptian setting. Seems cool so far.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJVznZhPwuQ
no talking dos video
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eSSlssVSmQ
no talking new powerslave ex (the version i linked)
>>
File: RUIN0005_zpsdvvdzysk.png (34KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
RUIN0005_zpsdvvdzysk.png
34KB, 320x200px
>>3612236
>I found that the doods at Lobotomy Software had made a enhanced version of the Msdos game

Wow wow wow.
Hold your kamel.

For one thing, Lotobomy has nothing to do with Powerslave EX. Lobotomy went down not long after Powerslave was released (after they made their Saturn ports of DN3D and Quake).

Secondly, Powerslave EX isn't "an enhanced DOS version", it's a fan remake of the PS1 version. The console and DOS version are two completely different games sharing the same assets.

Finally, and if you ask me, Powerslave EX is terrible. All the gameplay behaviours are off, it plays nothing like the PS1 version it's based on. Besides, again if you ask me, the PS1 version which is a port of the Saturn version with its share of differences, was worse than the Saturn version to begin with. So that's like playing an inferior fan recreation of an inferior port.

It's good that you're interested in Powerslave. They are great games. Just play the DOS, Saturn and PS1 versions.
>>
File: PowerslaveExhumedCover.jpg (85KB, 516x648px) Image search: [Google]
PowerslaveExhumedCover.jpg
85KB, 516x648px
High res cover. Notice how the weapons aren't the same, there are two versions.

Done by the same artist who did the cover to PS1 Doom, you may find some similarities.
>>
File: exhumedconsolemap.png (345KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
exhumedconsolemap.png
345KB, 640x512px
console version world map
>>
File: exhumedpcmap2.png (324KB, 153x960px) Image search: [Google]
exhumedpcmap2.png
324KB, 153x960px
DOS version world map
>>
saturn version > psx version
>>
File: 4.jpg (228KB, 727x960px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
228KB, 727x960px
>>3612668
By far.

The gameplay of the Saturn version just feels much tighter, much more satifying.
Besides Slavedriver is a Saturn engine, and the game is much smoother on Saturn.

Also Saturn version has bomb jumping and other fun tricks.

The PS1 version is still worth playing for the differences/new levels though. Also one thing it did better was the whole Team Doll thing; on Saturn they started doing the Team Dolls two weeks before deadline, while on PS1 they knew they'd do it from the beginning.

It's also worth noting that effort was put into the PAL Saturn version, but not in the PAL PS1 version. Indeed, while the PAL PS1 version is slower, the PAL Saturn version runs at intended speed, and only some timing differences of some weapons and enemies attack remain (which make the game slightly harder).

PAL Saturn version also has some other differences, including a small new area in one of the levels, some different placement for some hp/ammo refill items (which again make that version slightly harder), but also two new glitches.
>>
>>3612676
It's one of the shiny examples of a really cool Saturn game. I also enjoyed the little differences between versions.
>>
File: SLUS-00102-A-1.jpg (2MB, 1586x2215px) Image search: [Google]
SLUS-00102-A-1.jpg
2MB, 1586x2215px
>>3613028
>I also enjoyed the little differences between versions.

So do I, but the differences between Saturn and PS1 version are pretty big honestly, the most notable being 3-4 levels being different and the lack of bomb jumping and cobra-shot jumping. I've found ways to sequence break the PS1 version still but at a much lesser extent and in more difficult ways.

The 'little' differences come in different regions, for instance the Saturn NTSC-J version has more ammo for the Amun Bomb and Cobra Staff; however the PAL version which came after, used the ammo limit of the NTSC-U version (while having other differences).

The lack of ammo for the bomb and staff can be an issue so I understand why they'd change it, just not why they wouldn't keep the difference for the PAL version.

The PAL version is the hardest due to the lower firing rate of some weapons, the faster Mummies' shots, and the absence of ammo/hp refill items in some places.
>>
>>3612236
TELL ME WHY I HAVE TO BE A POWERSLAVE
>>
File: BREW.png (160KB, 622x500px) Image search: [Google]
BREW.png
160KB, 622x500px
One thing I have to say about how underrated the level design is in the console version, is that people have already talked widely about how it's "Metroid prime before Metroid Prime" (which is a little exagerated, but I get the point).

One thing people fail to realize is that this game had Quake like level design mentality at the same time as Quake. Sure, it was released after Quake, but not long after, it was mostly developped at the same time.
Yes the shift to 3D level design mentality was a generation thing, but they were some of the first to do it for a FPS.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.