[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I saw it mentioned a few times that the DX version of Link's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 13

So I saw it mentioned a few times that the DX version of Link's Awakening is an inferior product. Can anyone explain to me why?
>>
>>3611924
I think some people find the monochrome of the original better serves the game's dreamlike quality. You can't go wrong with either version.
>>
The DX version is fine. Personally, I like the color option better than 4 shades of grey.
>>
The screen warp glitch in the original version adds replay value I guess.
>>
It isn't. Some people are nostalgic about the version they played as kids and try to justify the unjustifiable.
>>
File: LAm.jpg (545KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
LAm.jpg
545KB, 2048x1536px
I prefer the original for nostalgia purposes (I didn't like the coloring myself, some of it makes the tiles look weird), but DX is a great updated port with new content (for Gameboy Printer) and a new dungeon. The new dungeon is a bit criticized for not being on par with the rest of the game's quality, but hey it's extra shit, can't complain.

Inferior? Not at all. It's the exact same game with more content and colors.

Oh yeah, you can't do the screen warp glitch on DX.
>>
>>3611934
I think the monochrome version has better atmosphere for some reason, but it might just be nostalgia.
>>
>>3611924
You know how the colorized versions of black and white films are never better than the original? Same concept.

That said, I wouldn't call it "inferior".It's just that the art style was designed with the game boy's limitations in mind, and removing them can't change that.
>>
Wait isn't the DX version compatible with the original GB?
>>
>>3611992
Yes, I've played it on a gameboy pocket
>>
Really, the biggest problem with DX is that you can't skip text boxes, meaning you have to read through every single description of what a compass does.

This is a nitpick, but it doesn't adjust the spacing on your file's name, so it's always five characters. If you call yourself Link it essentially shows up as Link_.
>>
>>3612048
You're an asshole.
>>
>>3612052
that seems uncalled for
>>
>>3612048
You can skip text boxes in the original version?
>>
>>3612048
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2414/
>>
>>3611924
The colour palette in the DX version isn't very good. It actually looks better on the old piss green gameboy
>>
>>3612063
No you can't. That guys a fucking retard and has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
File: ZeldaLA-DX_comparison.png (9KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
ZeldaLA-DX_comparison.png
9KB, 160x144px
Many glitches were fixed in later revisions,and DX is the least glitchy one.

Some bits of translations changed too.

Some chests content were changed/swapped around too.

I had the original version as a kid, but I would never look back on it after playing DX. Besides the new dungeon is great and the photo thing is a great addition.

>not exiting through the front door after killing the colour dungeon boss to avoid picking up a new tunic
>>
File: spot_linksawakeningdx_04.png (39KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
spot_linksawakeningdx_04.png
39KB, 500x452px
DX has very charming colours if you ask me.

IIRC someone made a recolouring hack but I thought it looked worse.
>>
File: boss.png (1MB, 1470x628px) Image search: [Google]
boss.png
1MB, 1470x628px
The one thing that I think works/looks better in the b&w version is the final boss.
>>
>>3612832
I'm with you. I also grew up on the original and still own it but if I'm gonna play the game now I'd do it with dx. Dunno why anybody would do it otherwise, unless u want the level warp glitch.
>>
>tfw no snes version of links awakening
>>
>>3611936
Is that the thing where you can enter a room and teleport to the other side? I heard something like that.
>>
I prefer the Player's Choice version because of the owl in the cover.
>>
>>3611924
I played both, and i think the DX is better. Especially with the few extra dungeons were the color matters.

Anyway, it's mostly the exact same.
>>
>>3611936
>>3611942
Thinking a game is better when there is a glitch so you can cheat.. What just happened to humanity.
>>
>>3613037

I'm >>3611942, I never said I think it's better, I was just listing differences between them, I listed the good things of DX as well.
>>
>>3612981
HE DABBIN
>>
>>3613037
>"fix" a "glitch"
>the game is less fun
Great job, though.
>>
File: oracle.jpg (151KB, 840x394px) Image search: [Google]
oracle.jpg
151KB, 840x394px
you guys will argue about anything
>>
>>3613093
doom is better
>>
>>3613093
>>3613106

I really prefer the Genesis myself. I don't care if it has "inferior colors", the better cpu means games run much faster on it.

Seriously though, LA and the Oracle games are the pinnacle of 2D Zelda imo. Can't go wrong with any of em.
>>
>>3613037
Actually I can totally understand this. When you're looking at the game through a hardcore fan, glitches that can introduce sequence breaking can add a lot to replay value. Doing dungeons in a different order, getting some items/weapons before you're supposed to, etc
>>
>>3611992

Yes, you just don't have access to the new dungeon.
>>
>>3613163
Actually, you can easily enter it.
There are two NPCs wearing different coloured uniforms and you have to guess which colour one has. It's random, but you have one chance out of two, and if you fail you can try again.
The issue is that a lot of puzzles are colour based inside the dungeon, but with lot's of trial&error, I'm pretty sure it's beatable.
>>
>>3613174
Really? I was pretty sure the DX dungeon entrance just doesn't appear when you play on a regular GB.
>>
>>3613178
I vividly remember doing it a lot time ago, but maybe it was on emulator.
>>
>>3613178

I thought you could enter the first room of the dungeon, but the two dudes would always tell you you guessed the color wrong.
But that was when the game came out, so my memory is pretty fuzzy.
>>
>>3611924
I didnt' read any of the other replies so others might have stated it before, but from my point of view the flaws of the DX version are

1) the tunics obtained in the color dungeon throw the balance way off;
2) the photo album feature seems like a tacked-on gimmick and not much else;
3) the colors/palettes are quite a bit hit-and-miss;
4) additional hints in dungeons make the game easier.
>>
>>3612817
Yes you can, just press B to do so. Retard.
>>
>>3612832
Nice example of a pukeass palette right there, ty for supporting the point of the conservatives preferring the original.
>>
>>3612841
You do realize that GBC colors aren't supposed to look that way? They are way oversaturated. Try to enable the "LCD colors" in your emulator instead of "real colors".
>>
>>3612847
>N2 sword
Wtf? What version is that? All I know about is L-1 or L-2 swords.
>>
File: links_awakening_advance.png (396KB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
links_awakening_advance.png
396KB, 2560x2048px
>>3612868
>>
>>3613093
Seasons
>>
>>3613093
>>
>>3615024
>things which were originally intended but never existed
>>
Nodody's mentioning the dumb censorship?
>>
>>3615052
NoA censored the original too for everyone except Japan. Was the Japanese DX version censored?
>>
>>3615053

I believe the german version, of all versions, is uncensored.
It also has that one line "not without a condom!" that isn't even on the original japanese.
>>
>>3615020
Is this an actual hack of LttP or something?
>>
>>3615003
> the tunics obtained in the color dungeon throw the balance way off

Like I said you can just leave by the front door after killing the boss of the new dungeon, without picking up any tunic. Just don't enter the tunic room.

>>3615015
Not my screenshots.
>>
>>3615062
The first french edition isn't censored either, the player choice version is.
>>
>>3615007
Wrong. Keep pretending to know what you're talking about though you fat ugly mouthbreather.
>>
>>3611934
>>3611962
It's the DMG ghosting.
>>
>>3615120
Not him but he's right you know. By pressing the B button you can cancel any text message that appears (at least if it's one you've read once already, that I frankly don't remember). It was an obvious thing to do to use B to close any "huh it's heavy lol" or "hurr you got a piece of power" or "there's a new compass which blah blah" etc. messages in the original LA, which sadly was made impossible in the DX version.
>>
>>3615212
I have the player's choice edition of the original (not DX) and you can't skip the compass message on dungeons, but you can skip other text boxes like the piece of power, etc.

It's not really a big deal though.
>>
>>3615073
I wish I knew. I just lifted the image from the "game maps" thread existing in this board right now. Probably though someone just did a tileswap of the map, as you would need to hack quite a lot of new code into ALttP to implement all of the unique LA features.
>>
>>3613163
>>3613184
You can enter the first room of the dungeon, but the gatekeepers won't let you in and outright tell you to come back using a GBC
>>
File: tumblr_ngsxa5JQj01tk1m7go8_500.png (7KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngsxa5JQj01tk1m7go8_500.png
7KB, 480x432px
I would play the DX version first, but playing with the original's screen warp glitch is super fun. It's not about "cheating," there are tons of glitched out places to explore.
>>
>>3611924
Color dungeon tunic unbalances the game, and even if you're not forced to collect it you feel bad about leaving it behind. Also you're forced to be a THIEF if you want all the possible photos which ruins the ending.
>>
I can't believe all the main complains are about optional extra content. You should feel bad.
>>
>>3615463

The main complaints about the original are also very stupid, like "I can't skip this text box that only lasts for 1 second". It's a great game so complaints are going to be very insignificant.

Speaking of differences between both versions, the stone tablets inside dungeons were replaced for something else on DX, right? What was it?
And what about the owl statues on the overworld, those are still present on DX, right?
>>
>>3615473
The original had Owl in the overworld, and stone tablets in the temples.

DX made it more consistent by having it all be Owls statues.
>>
>>3615017
supersoluce.com is a French site so I guess it's just from "niveau", the French translation of "level".
>>
>>3613093
Ages
>>
>>3615478

>more consistent

I dunno, I liked the owl statues and their eerie, mysterious messages that weren't necessarily always helpful

>THE WIND FISH SLUMBERS LONG, THE HERO'S LIFE GONE

Do you have to collect anything to read the hints on DX, like the missing pieces of the tablets on the original?
>>
File: unterschiede004.png (7KB, 320x144px) Image search: [Google]
unterschiede004.png
7KB, 320x144px
>>3611924
I have both versions. I had to rebuy the monochrome a few years back because I initially swapped it together with Mario Land for my cousin's DX version.
The monochrome (German) version has the mermaid looking for her bikini top instead of a pearl necklace, the rhino in the animal village is wearing a towel and covering herself when you enter, and the Chus after being exposed to magic powder tell you to practice safer sex and tell you to call the suicide helpline.
All this is gone in the DX or even the international monochrome version.
>>
>>3615536
You have to. The difference is just that they're beaks for the owl statues now, instead of a chip of a stone slab.
>>
>>3612832
Truly, you are a fag
>>
>>3615616
>and the Chus after being exposed to magic powder tell you to practice safer sex and tell you to call the suicide helpline.

This is actualy the work of Mr. Moyse who translated the game to German.
>>
>>3615514
Huh ok, so it's a screencap from the French version. That'd explain it.
>>
DX is way better.
>>
>>3615752
I'm acutely aware of that. The guy was a nutter. Even put his own name in as an easter egg - it triggers a song (not sure if it is Totakeke's) when you use it for a file.
>>
>>3615853
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hETZLrQz_uE
>>
>>3615752
What the fuck. This is because of fuckers like this do we have a thousand retranslations to famous games.

A good thing they retranslated it in DX.
>>
>>3611924
It's a matter of opinion; and opinions are as stupid as the people they came from.
>>
>>3613093
>not playing the leaked rom of Oracle of Secrets

stay pleb
>>
>>3611924
For first timers. The DX version literally doubles the number of hints in each dungeon. It also replaces the 100/200 rupee chests in the later dungeons with potions (you heal up again after dying). Some overworld dialogue was changed as well, again to hit the player over the head with a clue bat instead of being subtle.

Basically, excessive handholding that eliminates any kind of challenge.

Pretty much irrelevant if you already beat the original version, though. Then the DX version throws you a (small) extra dungeon and pretty colours. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>3619285
>Some overworld dialogue was changed as well, again to hit the player over the head with a clue bat instead of being subtle.

Honestly the original game's item barter is awful. It's pure trial&error bullshit, have fun chasing down every NPC each time you barter something.
>>
>>3619320

Well, they're all suspicious-types.
>>
They went way overboard with the color in DX. It's waaaay too loud for my tastes. Additionally, in the original I hear you can charge your sword and walk backwards into Mr. Wright's house to enter the Glitch World. You definitely can't do that in DX. Other personal quips:

- I always thought the Owl statues and beaks edit was cool, but in hindsight, I realize it's taking away from the connection to ALttP, which makes the game feel less canon. Furthermore, it makes it seem like the owl statues outside in the overworld are somehow connected to the ones in the dungeon.
- Bonus dungeon is too hard to find without someone telling you how.

I wish the original version was on the eShop instead of DX.
>>
>>3618146
Wait, is that legit?
>>
>>3612048
>text boxes skippable

What? Seriously? Why are people treating this like it isn't a big deal? I tried replaying the DX version and felt close to turning off every time I accidentally triggered one of those shitty messages.
>>
>>3620942
>felt close to turning off every time I accidentally triggered one of those shitty messages.

Damn nigga, treat that anxiety.

If you mean the "it's too heavy" etc text box, it stops happening on the 2nd dungeon when you get the bracelet
>>
>>3619432
>- I always thought the Owl statues and beaks edit was cool, but in hindsight, I realize it's taking away from the connection to ALttP, which makes the game feel less canon.

It does? How?

ALttP had slabs that let you talk to Sahasrahla, right?
>>
>>3613093
Bought both when they were released

Also bought Daft Punk's Discovery album and listened to it while playing the games, Good times.
>>
>>3619320
>Yoshi Doll
Obvious
>Ribbon
A bit obscure, I suppose.
>Dog food
The croc explicitly tells you that he wants it before you even have it
>Bananas
Automatic, necessary for progression
>Stick
Unless you think that you just avoid talking to NPCs appearing on the map where they don't usually have any business, this one's pretty obvious
>Honeycomb
Automatic
>Pineapple
Again, the bear explicitly tells you that he needs the honey
>Hibiscus
Once again, unless you make it your business to avoid NPCs...
>Letter
You're explicitly told who to deliver it to
>Broom
The lady with the broom now no longer has one. Granted, if you don't re-check the villages (she appears in both, depending on how far you have progressed), this one can take a while.
>Fishing hook
Okay, that one's pretty obscure. Especially if you hate exploration.
>Bikini top
Blatantly obvious
>Scale
The second croc already told you where to put it
>Magnifying lens -> Boomerang
Hm. The lens let me see things in previously empty rooms. Maybe I should check out that empty room at the beach I bombed open ages ago...? And frankly, the item that one-shots the final boss damn well should be difficult to find.

So okay. Two, three items that take a bit of effort to figure out what to do with/to find.

The others are sufficiently obvious that your inability to process the clues suggests significant brain damage on your part.
>>
>>3621453
>Okay, that one's pretty obscure. Especially if you hate exploration.

there's an owl statue in Martha's bay that tells you there's secrets under the bridge or something.
>>
File: mewtwostruckback.jpg (296KB, 870x603px) Image search: [Google]
mewtwostruckback.jpg
296KB, 870x603px
>>3613093
>>3621279
who /parents only bought them one/ here?
>>
>>3621453
>Fishing hook
>Okay, that one's pretty obscure. Especially if you hate exploration.

SECRETS ARE LIKE WATER WHEN IT COMES TO BRIDGES
>>
>>3620942

Well, then you have retards like him here
>>3612817
>>3615120
who apparently were never aware of the fact that you could skip the bullshit messages in the original (and have the nerve not only to insist you couldn't but also attack others over it).
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.