[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that Sega made the best JRPGs? >best 16-bit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: sega-logo.png (3KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sega-logo.png
3KB, 480x360px
Can we all agree that Sega made the best JRPGs?

>best 16-bit JRPG: Phantasy Star IV
>best 32-bit JRPG: Panzer Dragoon Saga
>best 128-bit JRPG: Skies of Arcadia
>>
>Best 8-bit JRPG: Phantasy Star
>>
>>3610973
I love Sega too but you're deluded to think those the best of their generation. PSIV is damn good though.

>>3610974
I can agree with this.
>>
>>3610973
FF6 was a little bit better experience imo

but Defenders of Oasis for Game Gear holds a special place for me.
>>
>>3610973
They made some solid efforts and PS4 is godtier, but overall, no.
>>
File: segabait.jpg (728KB, 1424x1409px) Image search: [Google]
segabait.jpg
728KB, 1424x1409px
>>3610973
I swear if this isn't bait...
>>
I grew up with Sega, but come on, now.
OP is delusional.

PSIV and SOA are amazing, though. Never been a fan of Panzer Dragoon. Now, Shining Force III...I get goosebumps every time I hear that intro.
>>
Those are good games but they are not the best of their generation.

Though to be quite honest I couldn't get into Skies of Arcadia. Fights spawn way too often, especially with those loading times.
>>
>>3610974
I want to say DW IV edges it out.
>>
>>3611625
Why IV over the far superior III?
>>
>>3610973
Skies of Arcadia is shit
>constant random encounters
>constant unnecessary zooming in and camera rotations during combat
>unbearably slow gameplay

Great setting though
>>
>>3610973
I agree as long as we ignore the existence of square-enix.
>>
File: spook.gif (7KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
spook.gif
7KB, 170x200px
>>3610973
Close, but no cigar.

>3rd gen: Mother
>4th gen: Phantasy Star IV
>5th gen: Grandia
>6th gen: Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne
>>
>>3611691
There was no "Square-Enix" in the retro days.
>>
>>3610973
Hell no.
>>
>>3611669
I enjoyed IVs story and characters more
>>
>>3611715
Fair enough. I preferred the class system and open-world of III.
>>
>can we all agree

No. Have my opinions.

>16 bit
Chrono Trigger

>32 bit
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

>"128 bit"

This term is stupid, but anyway, best 6th gen RPG is probably Dragon Quest VIII

The Sega RPGs OP mentioned aren't bad or anything, but I don't consider them to be the best.
>>
>>3611763
>Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
That's a dungeon crawler, not a JRPG. Also the first one is better.
>>
>>3611698

Mother was shit. Phantasy Star 1 is so far above and beyond any other JRPG released in that gen.
>>
>>3610973
8-bit and 16-bit, yeah thanks to Rieko Kodama.
>>
>>3611768

But Soul Hackers has an overworld and lots of JRPG traditions. You're saying it's not a JRPG but a "dungeon crawler" because it's on first person? Then I guess the first Phantasy Star is also a dungeon crawler and not a JRPG.

I have the official japanese guide of Soul Hackers and it says it's a ロールプレイングゲーム.

>the first one is better

What makes you think that? Both are pretty cool, but SH is generally the favorite one.
>>
>>3611773

>Mother was shit

Why?

I like Phantasy Star, but why do you think Mother 1 is "shit"?
>>
>>3611778
She also designed Skies. It was the spiritual successor to Phantasy Star.
>>
>>3611785
You sure? She's only listed as producer.
>>
>>3611830
Read some interviews. She was heavily involved in the development of that game.
>>
>>3610973
But best 16-bit jrpg is SMT and best 32-bit jrpg is SMT Soul Hackers and best 128-bit jrpg is SMT III
>>
>>3611882
Fatlus pls go.
>>
>>3610973
>best 8-bit JRPG: Sweet Home
>best 16-bit JRPG: Chrono Trigger
>best 32-bit JRPG: Valkyrie Profile
>best 64-bit JRPG: Paper Mario
>best 128-bit JRPG: Front Mission 5
>>
>>3610973
>128-bit
You're doing this just to shit me, aren't you? The Dreamcast is a 32-bit console, just like every console after it.
>>
>>3612571
>just like every console after it.
Really? Even the newest ones aren't 64-bit yet?
>>
I would say they had the best SRPGs, but that's just me.
>>
>>3612578
True, Shining Force and Sakura Wars are pretty legit.
>>
Chrono Trigger gets a lot of undeserved praise.
>>
>>3613025
Good post, fellow anon.
>>
>>3613025
>>3613032
Schizophrenia, the post.
>>
>>3613025
Why? Its one of the few RPGs I can play over and over again and still enjoy it.
>>
>>3613035
Im not >3613025

CT gets too much praise and for what
>>
>>3613036

I personally think Chrono Trigger is a great game, but there's definitely a lot of rose colored glasses pointed at it. It's far from perfect.

1) You have little to no direction for large swaths of the game. You're just expected to wander into the next area you need to go to.

2) A lot of the world is empty, boring nothingness in every era. There's maybe a single SNES-era JRPG's worth of areas, but they're spread between each different era which leaves a lot of the world feeling bland.

3) Zeal, arguably the most vivid and interesting of all the game's settings, feels flat out unfinished. There's practically nothing on the lower world maps and there's a lot of clear spots on the different islands in the sky that were supposed to either be dungeons or parts of the town that... aren't. Like that extra long bridge to the little island with a telepoint that isn't actually a telepoint.

4) This one's more of a personal gripe, but you spend the majority of the game in the least developed timelines (Prehistoric and Future). It kind of felt like an excuse to get away with not fleshing out the worlds with towns and NPCs as much as was typical for that era of JRPG.

5) There were some serious balance issues with the combat. Especially double/triple techs, some of them were OP as hell while others were hot garbage. Magic was likewise all over the place, either being overly powerful or totally worthless.

6) Your entire party is arguably the weakest part of the entire plot. The only characters that get any meaningful development are Marle at the beginning and Frog through the Middle Ages. Everyone else gets some little snippets, but ultimately there's little motivation for any of them to be traveling together or fighting Lavos. The only exception is Magus, the one optional character.
>>
>>3610973
>128 bit
>categorizing game generations in bit

Sega-Fanboys are indeed not the brightest.
>>
>>3613048
I'll agree with you, mostly because I've started playing FFVI for the first time and am blown away by how much characters get to talk and do stuff.
>>
>>3613036
Because it's overrated and aged poorly, irregardless it has a nice retro feel.
>>
File: lost-odyssey.jpg (34KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
lost-odyssey.jpg
34KB, 250x354px
Best 256-bit JRPG coming through.
>>
>>3613384
All those bits and not a fraction of the quality of what's recommended here, gg kinda sorty I guess
>>
>>3613393
Still the best Final Fantasy game since VI, though.
>>
>>3612572
Hmm after a bit of research it seems the PS4 at least has X86_64 arch and enough RAM that it couldn't all be addressed in 32-bit mode without tricks. So I guess I was wrong about that. The generation before that was 32-bit all around though.
>>
>>3611707
Not him, but It doesn't really matter if they were separate companies back then. They both still made high quality jrpgs.
>>
should i play phantasy star iv without playing the others
>>
>>3614668
You can, but it's not recommended.

It's like playing Suikoden II without giving Suikoden a try. The game is highly entertaining on its own, but you'll miss a lot of references and recurring themes/characters.

Nothing is stopping you from going back and play the others if you find PSIV enjoyable, though.
>>
>>3614592
>X-BOX 360: Triple-core 64-bit PowerPC-based, period.
>PS2: Not fully 128bit, but the internal data paths were 128bit wide, and its processors were capable of operating on 4x32bit quantities in parallel in single registers. (extracted from Wikipedia)

So, you are basically very wrong.
>>
>>3615000
PS2 is only "128 bit" because its two vector units can SIMD operate on four sets of 32 bit variables simultaneously. That's not really related to what people refer to as 'bitness' since that means the main CPU.

PS2 uses a 64 bit MIPS core for its CPU (MIPS R5900), a newer derivative of the 64 bit MIPS that the N64 used (R4300i).
>>
8 bit: Dragon Quest III
16 bit: Final Fantasy VI
32 bit: Vagrant Story
128 bit: I would say FFXII, but if we're talking retro than probably PSO
>>
>>3614668
If you're gonna skip them, at least catch up with the lore elsewhere.
>>
>>3614668
It's still possible to find PSIV immensely enjoyable without having played the previous games. The nods and references to the aforementioned are just the cherry on top.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.