[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of this game? Who was your favorite character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: .jpg (142KB, 1286x700px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
142KB, 1286x700px
What do you guys think of this game?
Who was your favorite character?
Personally this has become one of my most loved games.
>>
It's on of my fav RPG's of all time OP.
My fav character was Sundown even though his arc was so disappointingly short.
I've been dreaming of a sequel for this game, but old Square is long gone...
>>
>>3609871
love the game
favourite is cube for some reason
>>
>>3609871
It is a decent game, but I think it's pretty evident why it bombed, too gimmicky for its own good and overall poorly planned.
I like how every story plays a bit differently, and I think all those little narrative gimmicks like Pogo's chapter using unorthodox language and Cube being a silent protagonist is cool, but the game desperately needed much more polish on everything.
I guess my favorite character was Akira, actually I'd say my favorite character was Matsu, but eh, not a MC.
>>
>>3609892
I think the game actually had quite a lot of polish. The battle system took risks and you can see how it influenced later square soft games most notably chrono trigger. Each story mode had some unique aspect to it one even changing the mc depending on who you trained. The sprite work was also really good for it's time it's not as good as Goemon or Chrono Trigger but it works well and has a lot of content.

Honestly the only thing wrong with it is that the premise sounds a bit boring even if it is done really well. But in terms of polish I think the game was really well done.

What do you mean exactly by poorly planned? I'd say a major flaw is sometimes leaving the player with a lack of direction in some stories. But I don't know if that counts as poorly planned.
>>
>>3609871
Chink one because i am a communist.
>>
i liked the music

that's about it
>>
>>3609871
It's one of Square's last great JRPGs. It has a great combat system that's halfway inbetween a full SRPG and a traditional JRPG that, due to the sheer amount of moves that have multiple purposes like SaGa wazas often do and the emphasis on positioning, feels like a precursor to the combat in games like Divinity: Original Sin and even D&D 4E.

Cube, solely because I loved his chapter.
>>
>>3609902
Op here I fucking loved Pogo a simple power house retard. I think the chink one and him are tied for me. Who was your inheritor?
>>3609904
Weird I enjoyed every other aspect more.
>>
File: 1380726712160.gif (2KB, 128x94px) Image search: [Google]
1380726712160.gif
2KB, 128x94px
Guy I'm gonna cut to the chase I fucking love this game but I'm left with an empty feeling after beating it that I know modern games cannot fill. I planned to beat FF5 after this but I can't go back to a normal battle system so easily after this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've played most of the well known snes games.
>>
>>3609925
try treasure hunter g
>>
>>3609880
Square remembers it from time to time. IIRC, Oersted appears as a cameo in these games:
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (during MEGALOMANIA, you see Oersted and Straybow in the background)
- Holy Dungeon
- Final Fantasy: The Space-Time Crystal (as Odio).
>>
File: 1413912857396.png (174KB, 600x531px) Image search: [Google]
1413912857396.png
174KB, 600x531px
>>3609930
Nice it has a similar battle system and decent sprite work almost on par with Seiken Densetsu 3. I will give it a try.
>>
>>3609934
maybe check out robotrek as well
>>
>>3609901
>The battle system took risks.
I don't really see how it took any risk, you mean being grid based? Cool beans, but the combat is still broken, simplistic and reduced to a tedious puzzle 90% of the time, and it's not even hard, even Captain Square is more of a test of patience rather than a challenge, there's zero depth to it, despite the vague structural novelty.
I also don't see how it influenced CT at all, you can't move in CT and positioning is also less important than LaL, maybe it did influence Treasure Hunter G, but even that is debatable since except the grid the games play nothing alike.
>but it works well and has a lot of content.
I don't think it works well at all on a mechanical point of view, battles are a complete waste of time, there's nothing interesting in battles and that makes the final chapter even more painful because characters like Sundown or Masaru completely overshadow people like Pogo or Akira, you don't even get extras for choosing a different party to beat Odio so I have even less reasons to bother.
I like the diversity in superficial gameplay between most MCs, but it's not enough and while it did make me smile to see Masaru's chapter being a parody of fighting games it really didn't amount to much gameplay wise.
I think it's a clever game with quirky ideas, but on the same level of stuff like Earthbound, an interesting experiment as a piece of media, but ultimately a poor game.
>What do you mean exactly by poorly planned?
I mean that the actual game design took a backseat in favour of narrative and gimmicks, I've already talked about the poorly thought out battle system so I won't repeat myself, all the dungeons except Oboro's are porrly designed and uninteresting to the point I rejoiced playing Cube's and Masaru's chapters, there's not much exploration to do and what little extras there are in the game like Hanako's Punch are quirky but nothing more than that
>>>
>>
>>3609943
>robotrek
Not digging the sprite work that much but I'll see how I like it. Anything that makes it stand out for you?
>>
>>>
Choosing a heir during the Kung Fu chapter was a nice touch but gameplay wise the three characters are poorly thought out, though I argue that it's due more to the terrible battle design than anything, Sundown kid's chapter was good puzzle if only a bit too easy since you don't need to do more than a few preparations to win because again, battles are easy, and so on, every chapter has quite a lot of shortcomings the way I see it, the only chapter that is actually well thought out and with an actual meaningful gimmick was Oboro's, unless you dislike trial and error design, which I personally don't mind, and even then there's no real reason to go for those 100 kills.

Also, I like lack of directions, that is the least of the problems to me, but the game isn't even that lacking in directions at the end of the day, except again, Oboro's chapter and maybe, just maybe Akira's, the other chapters are fairly linear with a few fluff inbetween linear story segments. More than a lack of direction the game lacks focus, which is undeniably hard to get right when you make this kind of games, but they ultimately failed to deliver in that, though I can also see why some people can appreciate the rather fragmented and poliedric nature of the game, though to me it still feels like a collection of rshed minigames and genre parodies more than anything.

So again, it's a good game if you like quirky stuff and unusual narrative, but mechanically and design wise, I feel it's rushed and poorly thought out.
I guess it's more of a game for an older audience that can catch all the references and parodies, which at some point become so frequent it also hurts the game's originality imho.

But again, this is my opinion, as long as you like the game. good for you.
>>
>>3609948
how exactly is the combat broken?
>>
>>3609949
it also has movement during battles so it reminded me of LAL
>>
>>3609948
Even though you can't move in Chrono trigger it's the little thing like how if you attack an enemy that is too close to you it will counter with a super strong move and how some moves won't hit if the enemy in in the wrong spot.

The thing is for me I enjoyed the combat system is was so good for me. I really enjoy it when developers do something a bit different. I think the combat was way above earthbound levels but thats just me.

I thought oborr's level was great and liked the cool nods to japanese culture and unique away to kill some bosses.

It just feels like we have different tastes the things you complain about I seem to enjoy. What game do you personally suggest that has better content? I'd like to see what kind of games suit your tastes.
>>
>>3609953
There's barely any strategy to 90% of the fights, Masaru's chapter is basically applying debuffs continuosly, learning a few hard counter moves depending on your opponents' order, rinse and repeat, Oboro can effortlessly rip and tear through any enemy and you're given tons of items to deal with everything, Sundown Kid is just too fucking strong for his own good, Kung Fu Chapter is the same as Masaru's and you can simply dump all the training on one character to make them statistically broken, Akira's chapter starts out decent until Akira starts learning his AoE vision moves, and then you get Matsu who hits like a truck when you need him most, Oersted and Pogo are more of the same.
>>3609956
>I really enjoy it when developers do something a bit different. I think the combat was way above earthbound levels but thats just me.
Yeah, I agree on both points, EB was just an example, I didn't mean to make a direct comparison between the games as they're too different in terms of structure, I just feel they had a very similar idea in terms of what a videogame does and how it communicates, to me it fels like they're more focused on being pieces of media than videogames.
It's not a bad thing obviously, it just depends on what you want from a game.
>What game do you personally suggest that has better content?
I honestly can't say.
There's nothing in my experience that does quite the same thing as LaL, you can try SaGa games since LaL evidently took some inspiration from them, as in having multiple MCs with their own stories and gimmicks, learning abilities through battles and all of that, but they really have very little to do with each other, and most SaGa games are pretty different from each other too so there's that.
As others said, you can try Treasure Hunter G since it has a vaguely similar battle design, but even there I don't really see anything in common between those two.
LaL is fundamentally a pastiche, not many games do that kind of thing.
>>
>>3610032
>There's barely any strategy to 90% of the fights

so it's like any other rpg made during that time?
>>
>>3610058
>so it's like any other rpg made during that time?
You must have not played many RPGs if you say such a thing.
>>
>>3610096
name these deep and strategic snes rpgs then
>>
So in Oersted's chapter, what did Hesh mean when he says "That was not the demon"?
>>
>>3610110
Romancing SaGa games
Dark Law
Metal Max 2
Metal Max Returns
Bounty Sword
>>
>>3610174
RS3 is trivialized almost entirely by commander mode
RS1 had that incredibly stupid weapon skill system so I dropped it and RS2 isn't translated
wasn't impressed by MMR either

I'll give those other games a try though
>>
>>3610184
>RS3 is trivialized almost entirely by commander mode
How does Commander Mode exactly trivialize anything besides making a few early battles easier? Most of the times you wouldn't want to use Commander Mode at all because there's far better options, unless you think that slight mass healing at the end of each turn is good, but that's your opinion.
I never use Commander mode outside of speedrunning some parts of the early game, normal mode is usually much more effective if you set up a good strategy.
>RS1 had that incredibly stupid weapon skill system
Not liking a game doesn't mean the system isn't deep. Though I'll give you that it's a pretty clunky game.
And Romancing SaGa 2 has a official localization, although it's pretty much garbage, but if you've played through Manasword's patch for 3 I doubt you'll care.
>wasn't impressed by MMR either
Why?
Metal Max 2 and Bounty Sword don't have ENG patches, sadly, Bounty Sword also kinda needs them to be played properly.
>>
>>3610110
even the original versions of FF4 was more strategic because elemental weaknesses mattered a lot more
>>
>>3610203
>How does Commander Mode exactly trivialize anything besides making a few early battles easier?

I beat the majority of the game in commander mode, no strategy required

>Why?
because the tank mechanic didn't add much to the game's battle system imo

I don't really see how these games are any less "broken" than live a live

>don't have ENG patches
nevermind then
>>
>>3609871
An interesting game. I love that each chapter was a different story that was only loosely connected. The presentation is amazing with graphics and music. While the pseudo-strategy seem neat they feel kinda bore bones and at times monotonous. Some areas seem to lack polish such as the final area
The game is also really short for an RPG. But overall I thought it was nice game that someone looking for RPGs should definitely play. And to answer your question, Oboro for that speed.
>>
>>3610212
>no strategy required
Hardly believable since Commander Mode needs specific setups to be even used as such, but whatever.
>because the tank mechanic didn't add much to the game's battle system imo
Tanks are literally the only thing in the game that can inflict statuses, break parts with a reasonable chance and most importantly avoid you to even fight random battles if you know how to build them. Even for more advanced playthroughs such as solo or speedruns everything revolves around building tanks.
I don't see how you can say they don't add anything to the battle system when they're more than half of it, you can't make much on foot other than throwing items at people and deal with smaller enemies, unless you want to grind for hours and hours just to beat one boss and repeat that for the next one.
Try beating Noah without tanks.
>I don't really see how these games are any less "broken" than live a live
in LaL you can kill everything that isn't a boss in one hit from the very beginning of the game, buffs and items are broken, especially in the Kung Fu chapter, due to their cumulative effect, which is more or less the same mistake of SMT triple buffs, everything that isn't the Mammoth dies effortlessly, there's not even a proper damage modifier sytem, it's really, really primitive and rushed when it comes to the battle system.

You say commander mode trivialize almost anything yet you don't say that you need to know what character does what in commander mode, you don't say that you need to equip certain characters in a certain way to trigger formation attacks and you also need to position them correctly, you don't say that magic works the same way and again, you need to know how to even make sure those characters cast magic in the first place since Commander Mode gives very generic directives you need to interpret in order to properly inderstand how it works. LaL requires nothing of the sort as long as you know what a buff is.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.