[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which model should I be looking for if I want to get the "full

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 800px-Megadrive1.jpg (31KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Megadrive1.jpg
31KB, 800x400px
Which model should I be looking for if I want to get the "full package" of the Genesis and its addons (32x, CD, etc)? Also preferably with flashcart compatibility. I'm asking cause I know some models have no addon compatibility or even s-video output/downgraded audio.
>>
VA2(US launch model) due to over amplification can have garbled audio with some games.

VA3 through VA5 Model 1s would offer the best over all video and audio quality, as well as compatibility with all games/add-ons etc. These are non-launch model "High Definition Graphics" label models.

VA6, 6.5, and 6.8 offer equal quality in terms of audio and video, but add the TMSS screen at start up, which amount to a software check to block unlicensed games. This affects next to no games, and has no effect if you're using a flashcart.

VA7 has quite bad audio quality.

Early Model 2s are very similar to the VA7 Model 1 and should be avoided. Later Model 2s have better audio quality, but have their own quirks in terms of balance between FM and PSG.

All Model 3 consoles have absolutely wonderful video quality, even under composite, and some of the cleanest audio you can get from a Genesis, but is held back by only having mono audio, and not supporting any of the add-ons, and several games due to hardware changes and fixes applied to it. Stereo as well as some of those hardware changes can be restored with modding.

Essentially ANY Model 1 or 2 can be made perfect with modding, but a VA3-5 would be the absolute best without modding, with VA6-6.8 following up right after.

None of the standalone Genesis models support S-Video without modding; An S-Video mod is simpler on some Model 2s and all Model 3s, but can be done on earlier ones with a bit more work.
>>
>>3609589
I'd add a 32x helps video output and can be modded for s-video.
>>
>>3609589
Should add to this that if you want to mod, early Model 2s are probably the best. Ironically come with a higher quality audio DAC than other models due to the CMOS Yamaha.
>>
>>3609589
You deserve a cookie.
Thanks for the useful info!
>>
File: 1387979321532.jpg (9KB, 228x251px) Image search: [Google]
1387979321532.jpg
9KB, 228x251px
>>3609617
True enough, but only if you really want to stick to composite. If you have any plans to go for RGB, be for a CRT, upscaler, or otherwise, the 32x's better composite encoding doesn't come into play.

Might be a simpler way to go about an S-Video mod though, assuming you never plan on removing the 32x. Honestly haven't looked into the 32x much.

>>3609619
Does the VA7 share that trait, considering it is essentially an early Model 2 in a Model 1 shell?

Might be interesting to get a MegaAMP for the one I have laying around to experiment with.

>>3609623
No problem; Hardware is fun to learn about, and all the better if I can help someone else learn about it.
>>
>>3609637
>Does the VA7 share that trait, considering it is essentially an early Model 2 in a Model 1 shell?

I believe so, as I think it may also have the CMOS Yamaha integrated together with the VDP.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.