[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is my NES controller gold/brown? I don't think its yellowing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 20161110_001110.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_001110.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Why is my NES controller gold/brown? I don't think its yellowing. It's a nice, even gold color, and NES controllers typically turn yellow on the bottom, not the top. Did the person who owned it before me just paint it? It doesn't feel like paint. It's not sticky or uneven. It feels exactly like my other grey controllers. Are there more like this?
>>
>Aged like fine wine, this controller has developed a handsome patina- $59.99
>>
>>3609461
A rare gold controller? Those are worth thousands!
>>
Ultra rare piss edition NES controller.
>>
>>3609461
Certain plastics will brown/yellow with age, this likely happened to the plastic on top. The bottom might be a slightly different type of plastic, idk how they manufactured it. The other possibility is it came from a house with a heavy cig smoker (that shit will seriously stain everything after a few years), though I would expect the bottom to be dingy as well then.

There are chemical treatments to unyellow the plastic if it's not from cig smoke. Just google like "unyellow plastic" or some variation, and always use your brain before mixing chemicals. Lots of geniuses think it's funny to hide an ammonia based cleaner in the ingredients with bleach elsewhere.
>>
>>3609498
the unyellowing process is simple. Get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, dump that and the plastic you wanna de yellow into a plastic tub of sorts, fill the rest of the way with water so the plastic's submerged, then expose to UV light - either through a UV lamp or sunlight. If you go the sunlight route, I'd advise waiting until summer so you get the most possible hours of light exposure.
>>
>>3609515
And ruin the plastic forever.
What's even so bad about yellow? Does old hardware have to look like new?
>>
>>3609520
It doesn't ruin the plastic at all. I deyellowed my Super NES this way two years ago and it's still as sturdy as ever.
>>
>>3609463
you're an ebay reseller aren't you
>>
I ate raw carrots then used a wii nunchuk.
Now the analogue stick is orange.
>>
CHARLIE YOU DID IT! YOU FOUND THE GOLDEN CONTROLLER!
>>
>>3609461
That controller matches 8 bit brodys mighty fine suit
>>
>>3609461
>I don't think
Truer words...
>>
>>3609531
There have been claims that the de-yellowing process makes the plastic more brittle.
>>
>>3609718
I suppose if you want to get super technical, then yes the deyellowing process will compromise the outer layers of molecules of the plastic, but just regular, everyday oxidation is more destructive than a session of retrobrite ever will be.
>>
>>3609461
Nice op, you got a special edition gold controller
>>
>>3609515
>dump that and the plastic you wanna de yellow into a plastic tub of sorts, fill the rest of the way with water so the plastic's submerged
So the plastic is briefly exposed to concentrated peroxide? Is that wise?
>>
>>3609461
You have too much O2 in your house. It's causing a reaction with the plastic.

You don't have much time left.
>>
>>3610241
Well no it's not concentrated. Your typical bottle of HP is only 3%, and you further dilute it with water in order to submerge the plastic.
>>
>>3610470
But the way it's worded sounds like the plastic and peroxide are together before dilution.
>>
>>3610493
Can you read? When you buy hydrogen peroxide from the store it's only 3% peroxide and 97% hydrogen.
>>
>>3610554
Yeah but you say you pour the mixture right out of the bottle onto the plastic, then further dilute. If it needs to be further diluted then surely it's better to do that first, THEN put the plastic in. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of diluting it.
>>
>>3610554
>97% hydrogen.
Do you mean water?
>>
>>3609461
Legend of Zelda Special Edition NES Controller. Very rare, OP. You're going to be a very wealthy man.
>>
>>3610567
Obviously

>>3610562
I didn't write the guide, and in the guide they say you just add the water to further cover the plastic.
>>
>>3610604
>Obviously
Sorry, but it's kind of important to express yourself clearly - especially when you're being flippant.
>>
>>3610624
Either way someone was going to respond with a smart ass post. If I said 97% water I'd have gotten 6 people saying "you mean hydrogen? HURR DURR"
>>
>>3610640
>If I said 97% water I'd have gotten 6 people saying "you mean hydrogen? HURR DURR"
Why on earth would anyone say that?
>>
>>3610643
Because this is 4chan
>>
>>3609718

It does, but which retro vidya object only has sub mm thick plastic? THe surface becomes brittle but there is still more than enough structure to maintain stability.
>>
>>3610554
top kek kid
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.