[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Nintendo make another TLOZ for the SNES back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

Why didn't Nintendo make another TLOZ for the SNES back in the day? ALTTP was very popular, as far as I know, and it was launched at a very early stage of the console.

Zelda thread, I guess
>>
>>3607769
They did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview_games_from_The_Legend_of_Zelda_series

</thread>
>>
They didn't need to. They had 3rd party developer support back then. Not like now where if it weren't for 1st party nintendo games there would be no nintendo games.
>>
File: satellaview.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
satellaview.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>3607769

well there was the satellaview for the snes which had some sort of 'online' Zelda game on it, maybe they were trying to push that
>>
>>3607776
It had multiple Zelda games, actually.
>>
>>3607773
>Nintendo have had no 3rd party support for 20 years now

damn...

What the fuck was their problem?
>>
>>3607863
That's not totally true, the wii had great support at first. The problem is nintendo refuses to progress with the industry. And they devote way too much time to releasing the same five games over and over again. They don't know how to operate in the modern market. That's what happens when you've had the same people making decisions for 40 years.
>>
>>3607863
they are a flop company. they never released a bleeding edge console, except maybe the n64, but it had cartridges so...kinda floppy. but every other console by nintendo was mediocre. The only good consoles ever released by nintendo were the NES and SNES.
>>
>>3607875

You're so fucking stupid. NES,N64 and GCN were all powerful consoles for their times. SNES barely scraped by spec wise but was wildly successful because it had support and utilized add-on chips. The Wii is where they decided gimmicks were more important than power.
>>
>>3608036
the n64, had cartridges instead of CDs...developers fled...flop
the gcn had 1.4gb instead of 8gb dvds ......developers fled......flop
the wii was a gcn instead of a ps3/xb360.....developers fled....commercial normie succes but flop
wii u flop of the flops
>>
Nintendo actually had a lot of class and taste in those days.

They could have shat out endless sequels to their biggest franchises every year and banked the cash. But they didn't.

Nintendo had creative integrity.

After the release of Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World, they didn't go near the core Mario series for several years.

The market was absolutely saturated with cutesy platformers (like how every second game is an FPS on current consoles these days).

Another Mario would have brought NOTHING new to the genre. It took several years before Nintendo eventually released a new Mario game and we got Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - a game which radically shook the genre up with new idea, aesthetics and gameplay mechanics to breathe new life into a stale genre.

They probably figured that just releasing another Zelda would bring nothing new to the table at that time.

For all the shit that Nintendo get nowadays there's a reason they are so beloved. They actually gave a shit about games and never took the easy path.
>>
>>3608061
>butthurt mid-30~40 fanboy detected
shill off
>>
>>3608062
You're right about my age range but I'm not butthurt. But why would I be butthurt over videogames? I like what I like and I don't give a fuck.

I'm honestly indifferent to the amount of clueless tween tourists on this board now.
>>
File: qwer7ty.gif (276KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
qwer7ty.gif
276KB, 640x360px
>>3608075
Then what was the purpose of this post? You're not swaying opinions or contributing to the thread.
>>
Nintendo does what Nintendo wants. Zelda didn't become a gaming staple until OOT anyway. Prior to that it was successful but not a top 10 franchise. It probably had games in development but the only ones to come out were the Satelliteview ones.

Nintendo doesn't discuss unreleased games much. Why was there only one Mario on the N64? There actually was another in development but it never got past being on Miyamoto's computer for several months.
>>
>>3608086

Zelda wasn't a "gaming staple" until OoT? You're underage as fuck to believe something like that.
>>
File: 1280371000-1.jpg (196KB, 543x601px) Image search: [Google]
1280371000-1.jpg
196KB, 543x601px
>>3608086
>Zelda didn't become a gaming staple until OOT anyway. Prior to that it was successful but not a top 10 franchise.
>>
>>3608085
not OP but it was clearly an observation dumb faggot, not every comment has to be arguing
>>
File: illusionofgaia-coveru.jpg (79KB, 640x463px) Image search: [Google]
illusionofgaia-coveru.jpg
79KB, 640x463px
>>3607769
They kinda tried passing off Illusion of Gaia as a Zelda sequel though.
>>
>>3608152
nice meme. Illusion of Gaia is the second entry in qunitet snes trilogy. the first entry is sould blazer. Basically a link to the past is just a dollar store version of soul blazer, which is a much superior game in EVERY way.
>>
>>3608053
I didnt think the PS2 had that many dual layer disc games
>>
>>3608178
>I didnt think the PS2 had that many dual layer disc games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games
Just under 40. That's counting US, EU and JP releases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_CD-ROM_games
A ton of PS2 games use the CD format, though. Way more than I thought.
>>
>>3608178
even if you discount double layer, 4GB is still what developers preferred that gen.
>>
>>3607772
Only in Japan.
>>3607773
But there was a Zelda II on NES.
>>
>>3608191
>>3608204
Yeah I wasnt saying you were wrong just that I only really remember MGS2 being dual layer.

Al lot of those 40 games are japanese as well.

I think devs preffered 2 4gb dvds over 1 dual layer as well.
>>
>>3608191
>>3608204
Was price an issue back then for DVD-9 discs but yeah it was the pref for that gen as it should of been.
>>
>>3607875
>The only good consoles ever released by nintendo were the NES and SNES

And N64

Fuck you 64 haters.
>>
>>3608213
>Yeah I wasnt saying you were wrong just that I only really remember MGS2 being dual layer.

Not him, I just thought some people might like to know what the breakdown for formats was.
>>
>>3607769
Parallel Worlds is decent. Except for the difficulty curve.
>>
>>3608152
It's the font.
>>3608162
Soul Blazer/Blader, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma.
>>
The GCN's storage was almost a non-issue unless your game had a billion lines of spoken dialogue.

It's also not why anyone jumped ship from the system. It had pretty good developer support for a couple of years. It stopped simply because sales were lower than other systems and it was obvious that it was obvious that the gap was only going to widen.

I think Nintendo's esoteric company culture is the main culprit, and I think that that is the same failure across all of their systems. Konami claims the MGS remake was an idea that came directly from Iwata. That's not how it's supposed to usually work, it's supposed to be several people from different companies forming consensus and making offers to each other. It's not supposed to be the big guy at one company making an impromptu offer where he even includes one of his subsidiaries as the majority of the labor.

Nintendo made it big when video games were still new. They want to operate in a manner where they make all decisions and are responsible for every important aspect of the product. That used to work well, but video games aren't a vacuum anymore. Today it's an environment with many actors, most of them being very specialized.

That's why other consoles and PC get all the new stuff faster and in better quality. Real online infrastructure that people actually want to use, better built-in storage options, stuff like that. The video game industry as a whole is capable of making products people want better than any single company can.
>>
>>3608297
>The GCN's storage was almost a non-issue
A non-issue that contributed to limited third party support. Top Kek
>>
>>3608312
No, seriously. Saying GCN's disks is the reason the console didn't get third party support is some of the most idiotic brainless shit that gets said about Gamecube.

GTA3 and Vice City were 1.5 GB or less in size.
>>
>>3608220
No. It could have been good, but they focused on shitty 3D games instead of stellar 2D games. This isn't even bait. Even when it was current generation it was shitty 3D
>>
>>3608327
But it's true. GTA games weren't ported because of the 1,4GB discs.
>>
>>3608352
No it isn't, stop spreading lies. GTA 3 was barely a gig.
>>
I wonder if at the time there were a lot of "Zelda-like" games like Secret of Mana, maybe Nintendo didn't feel like it was necessary to just make Link to the Past 2.0. Or maybe they were focused on Link's Awakening and the gameboy market
>>
>>3608086
> being this underaged
Post jaw with timestamp now
>>
>>3608352
People say this whole "mini-disks = no third party" because it's a stupid analogy to the N64 cartridge situation.

First up, the difference in storage space between mini-DVDs and full sized DVD isn't even close to as large as the difference between CD-ROM and N64 cartridges.

Second up, it was literally economically unaffordable to ship an N64 game with two cartridges due to the high expense, Mini-DVDs barely cost any more money than regular DVDs. There'd be higher manufacturing costs in creating the four CDs for Final Fantasy VIII than making two mini-DVDs for REmake.
>>
>>3608086

jeesuss man... enough internet for you today
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.