[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did you have to hold the reset button before powering off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.png (42KB, 1411x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
42KB, 1411x1080px
Why did you have to hold the reset button before powering off a NES for data to be properly saved?
>>
RAM mechanics I suppose.
>>
>>3604248
It prevented a potential short circuit, I think, which would wipe your battery save
>>
It help prevent voltage spikes to the cartage that could wipe the battery backup memory.

The NES originally was never designed to be electronically safe for battery backups, it was something added to game carts a few years later.
>>
>>3604248
It basically put the console into a state where it was guaranteed to not be writing data to the cartridge, preventing the slim but very real chance that bad data could be written to the save, doing funny shit or rendering it unloadable.

Saving data to the NES was pretty much a weird hack. Someone can probably give a more technical answer.
>>
The NES was released with a design flaw that caused random data to be written to random locations when the power was turned off. This wasn't considered a problem originally because no games in 1985/86 had battery saves. But when Zelda introduced save data, it became a problem because there was a chance the system could randomly overwrite parts of the save file.

By pure luck it turned out holding the reset button prevented the random writes, so they encouraged you to hold it while turning off the system to prevent the possibility of data corruption.

I have no idea if the design flaw was fixed in later NES models. I tested it on my own system by turning the system off without holding reset about 10 times in a row, but the data never got deleted.
>>
>>3604248
I remember Nintendo Power talking about this in one of the early issues.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.