[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone built one of these? I'm thinking of dropping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: GRS-Bartop-Arcade-Deluxe.jpg (217KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
GRS-Bartop-Arcade-Deluxe.jpg
217KB, 2000x2000px
Has anyone built one of these? I'm thinking of dropping ~$300 on building one and have a shit ton of arcade/console games on an rpi. Was it worth it? It looks like it could be fun.
>>
File: 1477102077883.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1477102077883.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
>>
File: Twinbee.jpg (25KB, 176x160px) Image search: [Google]
Twinbee.jpg
25KB, 176x160px
Bar tops are a good starting point. The rpi wasn't a thing yet when I build mine so it was a game of cramming hardware into a tiny volume. Have fun with it. I do suggest having a set of games in mind and designing the controls around that beforehand. e.g. I should have just used a simple 3-button layout as I never ended up playing all the 6-button fighting games.
>>
>>3604232
Why didn't you just use a VIA? They were more common back then.
>>
>>3604270
It was really a budged build for fun and I used a mini ITX that I had already. It was a PITA to mount the PSU and switching power strip inside and it's heavy as hell. I'd like to try it again from scratch with a pi.
>>
>dump that much money and effort on something like this
>use a RPi

Haha, what? Just use a fucking ITX build. It'll be way more stable, run way more systems, and could even do shaders and shit.
>>
no you're definitely the first person to ever think of building an arcade cabinent from a raspberry pi
>>
>>3604232
I would do the same as you, I'd rather have too many buttons than not enough
>>
>>3604206
I've always wanted to build a mame cab but recently I've been going to a local arcade semi-frequently and have realized that I really hate arcade sticks and much prefer controllers.
>>
>>3604296
Oh, it was already pretty close? So what you haven't explained is what kind of CPU it was to set the demands. You must not have had an Abit mainboard with the cutting edge flexibility for that kind of thing. At least you didn't need an actual video card.

You rigged up an internal two piece power solution? Neat!
>>
>>3604206

I'd like to build one but it all comes down to the display. If you're going to make one using a display that has a 40ms input lag then don't even bother.
>>
>>3604562

The saddest thing is that 40 ms is practically "good" these days. The race to the bottom with 4k panels and """upscaling""" means it's not uncommon to find tvs with 200+ ms input lag out of the box and still ~50 ms with "game mode" on.

OP: Spend some time playing emulators with the computing system and display you plan to use first. If you can put a good 20 hours in and you still don't have any complaints, then go ahead and take the time to build the cabinet. If you find something's lacking then start upgrading the computer and the display until you're satisfied.

My personal tastes would run toward more of a JAMMA or MVS board and a 13" CRT
>>
>>3604604

I'm rocking 22ms on my Sony 3D. Lowest input lag on the market for a large screen TV. Some Vizios have lag below 30ms, but they're crap quality.
>>
File: 1362960884713.png (28KB, 499x322px) Image search: [Google]
1362960884713.png
28KB, 499x322px
Now that authentic arcade CRTs often used to high end emulation cabinets are starting to get REALLY pricey, are there any good LCD alternatives? Surely someone must manufacture modern displays designed to minimize/eliminate input lag?
>>
>$270 worth of equipment being pushed by $30 worth of computer
Um... okay. Like don't build it around a laptop or anything like a rational person.
>>
>>3604206
my buddy had one and it was awesome for 15 minutes of retro gaming

I don't know if I'd want one in my house.
>>
>>3604206
I've converted plenty of cabs for all kinds of things but no, never done that shit. Even in 3rd world shitholes where people actually use those they use decent hardware. And they still retail for well under $200. I guess the ancient saying is true. A hipster and his money are soon parted. Use a different system. Now, or later when you realize the memeberry is shit.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.