[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any reason to bother with an Everdrive N8 over just emulating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: everdriven8.png (587KB, 941x941px) Image search: [Google]
everdriven8.png
587KB, 941x941px
Any reason to bother with an Everdrive N8 over just emulating in 240p via Wii? I went the flashcart route with SNES and Genesis/MD, but that's because both of those consoles natively support RGB. Why bother with a $100 cart for an NES when I need to spend $100 to RGB mod it as well, when I can get YpBpR quality output with (if I'm to be believed) more or less cycle accurate emulation via Wii?

Anything I'm not seeing?
>>
Buy the Wii.
>>
NES VC is kinda dark and muddy, even in 240p.
>>
>>3601326
Emulation /= VC
>>
the only thing lost that could be significant to you is the ability to play with the original wired controller. if you want the original but don't care about muh wireless input lag then there's the new controllers
there may be games with compatibility issues with the emulator, i don't know what those are or if they exist
>>
>>3601326
You can run other emulators in 240P on the Wii, not just the official VC stuff.
>>
>>3601289
A couple frames of input lag.
>>
>>3601289
I honestly don't see what's wrong with composite + CRT
>>
>>3601454
Like its noticeable on 60fps games
>>
>>3601463
Tell that to the CRT autists.
>>
Stick to the Wii. I like owning consoles and hooking them up via RGB but the NES isn't worth the investment. Games don't look THAT good to begin with to care about output with the NES if you ask me.
>>
>>3601463
It is for time sensitive games, like the cowboy duel portion of Kirby's Adventure.
>>
My current setup is an AVS with an N8 and about 100 actual carts. For Famicom Disk games I use the FDSStick with it as I'm afraid to use my drive at the is point since a few of my disk games have already gone to Valhalla.
>>
>>3601467
CRT patricians you mean
>>
>>3601414
new nes classic controllers should work with wii, already tested to work with wii u as classic controllers
>>
>>3601289
Get the powerpak
>>
>>3601689
I don't mean to sperg out, but the FDSstick is an amazing deal for $14 or whatever I paid. I've never been happier spending less than $20
>>
>>3601719
yeah, nothing like a dated flashcart with zero updates in 6-7 years
>>
>>3601726
You don't need official updates when you have third party support (mappers) with better compatability than the N8
>>
>>3601723
It's definitely a fantastic deal. It's so simple to use too.
>>
>>3601289
I own both and it's not even comparable. Flash cart on a NES is way better - graphically, responsiveness, everything. Wii will also stutter and drop a frame now and then, not horrible but noticeable.

I mean, if you don't really care about minor details then whatever is fine, but at that point you might as well just emulate on a PC and not dick around with hacked consoles and CRTs.
>>
>>3601730
This.
Why buy a constatly-updated, long warranty flashcart when you can get one that relies solely on third party community based maintenance and costs even more! Some people, I tell you...
>>
>>3601730
What games does the PowerPak support that the N8 doesn't?
>>
>>3601937

Not him, but the only games I've tried so far that my N8 can't run are weird chinese bootleg stuff.

>>3601289
Input lag. SMB2 feels way better on actual hardware, I have mysterious missed jumps ans stuff on Wii that disappear once I switch to original hardware.

It's a shame that it's so difficult to get proper video output out of it. Also beware of using composite on a late-model CRT, lots of them will have "3d" or "digital" comb filters on composite inputs. They clean up the picture really well but can add up to 3 fields of lag. (2d or 'basic' comb filters only add a couple lines of lag, but also don't clean the image as much).

RGB/YPbPr are safe from comb filters, not sure about S-video but I think it's safe too.
>>
>>3601937
PowerPak can play NSFs natively, which is a pretty desirable feature for some. I would have prefered the PowerPak, but no Famicom version and no bootleg versions of it turned me to a cheap, chinese N8. It works.
>>
>>3601289
Many reasons but probably none that are important enough to you to do it. Artificial video quality seems to be your key need?
>>
>>3601937
The only two official games that the Everdrive can't play are Gemfire and Uncharted Water. Besides that, it's just a handful of bootlegs that no flash cart supports.

No idea if the PowerPak can play the two games mentioned above.

Everdrive also supports save states, which is honestly pretty nice to have on original hardware.
>>
>>3601289
>Any reason to bother with an Everdrive N8 over just emulating in 240p via Wii?
Nope. Make sure you're playing on a CRT with a wired controller and you're golden.
>>
>>3602557
Even with a wired controller you're getting 3-5 frames of input lag, just like a PC emulator. VC is a bit less laggy than homebrew emulators, but you're still talking 2-3 frames. If you really care about input lag, you avoid emulation like the plague.
>>
File: CvuuvYKXgAEZMfi[1].jpg (87KB, 382x971px) Image search: [Google]
CvuuvYKXgAEZMfi[1].jpg
87KB, 382x971px
>>3602445
Krikzz himself lists several more than those two "officially", and from a community check, there are many more that don't work/work properly due to incomplete or partially working mappers.

I'm stubbornly waiting to see if Kevtris actually goes through with his own NES flashcart; With all the proposed features (full mapper support, NSF with visualizer, gameboy games) it'd blow the other two out of the water.

But again, that is just a massive IF.
>>
>>3601289
I have done both.

I strongly prefer the everdrive

It's 1:1 with the original.

With the wii, eh, sometimes it crashed. Sometimes the settings need tweaking.

With the everdrive, I grab my old dogbone controller, turn it on, and go
>>
>>3601730
since you love dated hardware and community supported software so much, i've got an old dated r4ds with your name on it. fag.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.