[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why must this neato system have such a cool gimmick, a surprisingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Virtual-Boy-console[1].png (1MB, 1259x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual-Boy-console[1].png
1MB, 1259x1600px
why must this neato system have such a cool gimmick, a surprisingly good library, but also have a super flimsy design? I could be playing Mario Clash right now but my unit's eyes don't work and the oven does nothing.
>>
File: The_Broker_GotG_close.png (144KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
The_Broker_GotG_close.png
144KB, 264x264px
>>3600851
>the oven does nothing.
>>
>>3600851

>suprisingly good library

So which of the two dozen games released for Virtual Boy were actually good?
>>
>>3600874
Of what I've played, Mario Clash, Wario Land, and Red Alarm are choice. I haven't played the other well spoken-of games, like Teleroboxer or Vertical Force, and there's some very rare/expensive games (Innsmouth no Yakata, Jack Bros.) worth checking out (probably via a flash cart though). There's also prototypes, unreleased games, and homebrew that I haven't tried either, but which look pretty good.

But honestly, I could keep one around just for Mario Clash. I love that game. Emulation just doesn't do the visuals or the controller justice. I have a 3DS and a 3D TV, and neither one really captures what a VB display looks like.
>>
>>3600851
I'd call it more of a catalog than a library.
>>
>>3600851
>the oven does nothing
You mean the oven trick where you bake the displays to reheat the glue?

Yeah, I tried that many many times back in the day and it didn't work. What I did was I went on planetvb.com and got someone there to solder the ribbon cables in place, which permanently fixes the displays. A year later they're still working perfectly and it was only $20 for the repair, so I strongly recommend it to every VB owner.

If you live in Europe send a PM to TheForce81, if you're in North America send a PM to HP Lovethrash. These guys are pros at VB display repairs.
>>
>>3600945
damn, 20 bucks? Here I was gonna learn to do it myself, but with my horrible soldering skills I'd be better off paying for it. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>3600881
What about Google Cardboard?
>>
>>3600952
I've tried a number of VR systems, admittedly I've not played VB emulators on any of them. I'm not convinced it would be similar though, the VB has a very unique display element to it, as if the parts you see are actually closer in physical space, more so than a 3D effect on a modern display. It's hard to describe but I'm not sure that a VR headset would produce the same sensation.
>>
File: Teleroboxer.jpg (63KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
Teleroboxer.jpg
63KB, 640x638px
>>3600874
Teleroboxer is GOAT.

>>3600881
I know what you mean. Probably the closest thing to a real VB is a VR set and a VB emulator, I assume it would work well. However, you're right about the controller.
>>
File: 1393723752182.jpg (48KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1393723752182.jpg
48KB, 480x640px
The ribbon cable on mine is coming loose (I hear this is a common problem when they get old) and I have all these bars on the screen now which ruins the experience. I can't even open the thing up to try to fix it because the screws are too recessed for my security bit to fit in them.
>>
>>3600997
Just get one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5mm-Security-Screw-Driver-Lifetime-Warranty-Uscrew-Virtual-Boy-System-/171049124774?hash=item27d35283a6:g:l1QAAOSwOdpXzEfB

Technically you don't even need one, if you have a regular 4.5mm security bit and a nail file, you can file the thick parts down until it can reach the recessed screws. That's what I did. Just make sure you don't file it down too much that it can't stay steady in the screwdriver.
>>
>>3601032
Nah man, get a flexible screwdriver extension. I dunno what they're called exactly but the basic small electronics repair kit from ifixit has one, basically a screwdriver bit that extends into a 6" rubber tube which then ends on another driver bit fitting. It took a little doing but I got the tough screws on the VB no problem with that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.