[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do resellers have such a bad reputation? Where do you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1470476144192.jpg (172KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1470476144192.jpg
172KB, 500x332px
Why do resellers have such a bad reputation?

Where do you guys purchase your old games?
>>
>>3599372
Because resellers sells game a 100x their real price because "it's a collector thing, dude" and that's bs.
>>
>>3599372
It's 2016 bro. EVERYONE is a reseller.
>>
File: Super Nintendo Ghost.jpg (81KB, 588x378px) Image search: [Google]
Super Nintendo Ghost.jpg
81KB, 588x378px
>>3599372
>Why do resellers have such a bad reputation?
It's easy to say "durr becuz they no understand economics" but there are good reasons to dislike resellers beyond resenting their opportunism and the main reason is because the ones you know IRL either funnel games out of your area or offer them for sale in your area but set their prices by eBay without considering the ~33%(!) fees eBay ends up sucking out of sellers. Up until a few years ago, it was possible for resellers to operate in the reverse, buying lots on ebay, cherry picking for their collection then selling smaller bundles locally but the margins have shrank considerably on /vr/ era games and it's just not worth fucking with either as a hobby or as a small business.

>Where do you guys purchase your old games?
The past. LoL. That's where us cool guys with cool collections all bought them. The guys who are all over the Facebook groups "Will trade Dreamcast gamez to complete my N64 collection. Must include boxes" or basically anybody who's buying a lot of 20 year old games right now is much more deserving of your hate as it's actually the buyers who determine value, not the (re)sellers.

>>3599380
I'll tell you what I always tell people. Get out there and buy $2 Wii games, PS2 and PS3 games and Gamecube games if you can find 'em they're already starting to swell up. If you have good taste and patience you can build up a respectable collection just to sit on and someday maybe trade for the SNES games you want. If you have a real uncontrollable boner for old games try collecting PC games. Assembling a retro PC and buying games for it has been quite enjoyable for me without being a huge investment. Also retro game ephemera is something rare and collectible without really being so in demand yet that it's prohibitively expensive.

Just some thoughts.
>>
>>3599372
>Why do resellers have such a bad reputation?

They make it harder to get good deals for the people who actually care. I don't buy much these days because prices are insane but there's one shop near me that will sell me pretty much anything under ebay prices.
>>
Resellers were instrumental in causing the retrogaming bubble we're currently experiencing. Yeah, the resurgence of popularity for retrogaming did happen, and it was bound to increase prices and lower supply, but if you look at the speed at which prices increased, especially on small print run games where one guy was able to manipulate the price by increasing the ebay average and allowing Joe Blow attic cleaner to say "hm, well he thinks it's worth 100 bucks, so it must be worth 100 bucks." And now those games sit on ebay listings for months, doing nothing, because the sellers refuse to back down for risk of a loss and the small contingent of obsessives that make it seem viable for everyone hold out.

The real tragedy of reselling isn't actually the prices -- it's the amount of games that are sitting in an inventory room doing nothing for prices that aren't coming.

And now that everyone thinks every game is worth something, the price creep is spreading to everything.
>>
A local store opened up near me a couple years ago. hey had a lot of games, including the most US SNES Super Mario World carts I have seen together in recent time, over 50 of them in a couple stacks, all for, I kid you not, $50USD cart only each. Most stores in my area look at the average eBay price and adds about $10USD to that. I understand they have to pay for the lights to be on and the employees to be fed, but eBay prices are bargains in my area.

As for the store, I have no clue how they even get a sale, with even shovelware titles like a Mary Kate & Ashley game for Playstation with an asking price of $15USD. The people who work there are cool, as is the owner, which I know has complete Blockbuster exclusive titles (asking for a few grand, which I wonder who would roll in to buy them from the place). I just wonder what kinds of hookers do they have for sale in the basement to keep this place afloat.
>>
>>3599476
I don't know man. It just seems like basic supply and demand when you look at the amount of NA printings for the expensive games. 200k copies 20 years ago wasn't a lot and it's even less now because of damages, being lost etc etc. Plus people who already have what they want and will most likely never part with them keeps the prices high. Stuff like Dracula X and Wild Guns will NEVER go down in price and anyone who found them for cheap back in the day were just god damn lucky.
>>
>>3599476
>The real tragedy of reselling isn't actually the prices -- it's the amount of games that are sitting in an inventory room doing nothing for prices that aren't coming.
I really don't think this happens that much as it's bad business to sit on inventory, though small business people who have a personal interest in their wares do sometimes make bad business decisions. As frustrating as that may be, it's much better than what was happening in the early to mid '00s where massive quantities of this stuff was in the hands of "good businesses" with ruthless business practices like Blockbuster, Electronics Boutique and even Nintendo themselves. I was trying to find an old image I distinctly remember from back then of hundreds of video game consoles in a huge pile being crushed that iirc was non-Nintendo consoles Nintendo had received from people requesting service. At least these small resellers are preserving the shit. Whether it's ever worth what they're waiting for or they die a decade or two before you do and you get the satisfaction of picking it up for a song from their wife.
>>
File: smartball.png (140KB, 257x203px) Image search: [Google]
smartball.png
140KB, 257x203px
>tfw selling all my old games for exorbitant prices and joining the flash cart master race
>>
>>3599502
There is nothing more master race than owning the original hardware and cartridges of all your favorite games. You will regret it but its idiots like you who make idiots like me happy so go on with your bad self.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.