[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What keyboard do you use to play retro games? I only have cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: model-m-front-large1.jpg (89KB, 1001x440px) Image search: [Google]
model-m-front-large1.jpg
89KB, 1001x440px
What keyboard do you use to play retro games?
I only have cheap shit right now and am looking for something better.
Is the Model M good or are there alternatives?
Is PS/2 better than USB?
>>
>>3594270
>Is the Model M good or are there alternatives?

There are lots of other mechanical keyboards out there, Model M is my favourite though

>Is PS/2 better than USB?

Yes
>>
>>3594270
I use a logitech slim keyboard because size., not because of gaming reasons. Smaller keyboards help me type faster.

Might get a USB numpad just for roguelikes and pinball.
>>
>>3594270
>Is PS/2 better than USB?
For keyboard input? Strictly.
>>
Cherry brand is much cheaper old-school mechanical keyboard than IBM M
>>
>>3594320
Are they as good or just a cheap alternative?
>>
>>3594270
There's a lot of variety in possible keyboards, if you want to grab a modern one you could look into getting a cheerry switch sampler.

PS/2 is better but you're realistically not going to ever notice the differences as long as you get a decent USB one. Especially if you've been using garbage until now.

>>3594836
They are different. It'd be best to try all the various switches to see what you actually like but that is mostly not reasonable.
>>
I have three model M's, the right shift key on these 'boards is honestly kinda crappy, if you hit it on the right edge instead of the face it binds up and won't depress.
you get the same problem on the left edge of backspace and the right edge of NUM0, though not as severely. it's annoying as hell.
>>
I only use period-appropriate keyboards to be more authentic
>>
File: 1440891747402.jpg (37KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1440891747402.jpg
37KB, 500x499px
>tfw Dell AT101
>>
>>3594270
LOOK UP UNICOMP KEYBOARDS
>>
>>3595027
sounds like your shift keys aren't seated properly
>>
File: 41YX7YR374L._SY355_.jpg (20KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41YX7YR374L._SY355_.jpg
20KB, 355x355px
I don't use keyboards. I use this:
>>
>>3594270
I usually use whatever I have at hand if I'm going to play retro games on pc, since it kinda simplifies things. Would like to build a retro station when I move out of this place since I'm kinda hard-pressed on space. Also, I think retro enthusiasts have driven up prices on IBM Model M's and other buckling spring/early cherry keyboards(which is kinda backwards, since people used them mainly because they could get a solid keyboard for cheap after their heyday). So my advice would either be to go with the cheapest mech with ps2 you can find, the cheap keyboard you might already have or period-appropriate periephals.

Also, anyone know about those "retro" keyboards they sell on etsy? I mean, there's this one guy who converts dead Commodores etc to keyboards using some USB board for translating the keysignals from the keyboard, like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/193787239/commodore-64c-usb-keyboard. Is there some sort of pre-existing solution you could use with microcontroller on a breadboard to have it to handle the keystrokes, or has the guy scanned the codes for each type of keyboard separately?
>>
File: Yotsuba 04.jpg (43KB, 380x348px) Image search: [Google]
Yotsuba 04.jpg
43KB, 380x348px
>>3596650
>https://www.etsy.com/listing/193787239/commodore-64c-usb-keyboard

this makes me FUCKING LIVID
>>
>>3596650
>>3596804
>Integrate Rapeberry Pee
Fuck. What is wrong with people?
>>
>>3596804
Damn, if only they hadn't done that and the C64 could have set in a garage for another two decades collecting spider eggs or whatever. What a fucking tragedy.
>>
>>3596889
>>3596804
Well, like I said he supposedly uses dead units for those, which is kinda cool idea(provided the computer itself is busted beyond all repair but the keyboard itself is okay). And I dunno, might be comfy to emulate C64/whatever old computer using the original keyboard. And yeah, thanks to "maker's community" pretty much everything from aeropresses to zebra dolls is going to have some sort of computer/microcontrolled shoved in anyway.
>>
>>3596942
don't blame the makers for this
there were companies pulling the same exact shit, hanging entire minicomputers off the side of phototypesetters back in the 1970s.
>>
>>3597047
>off the side of phototypesetters back in the 1970s.

Pics or you lie.
>>
File: crt4.png (425KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
crt4.png
425KB, 1440x900px
>>3597916
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/
tl;dr the old gods weren't impressed with merganthaler's proprietary bullshit, and reverse engineered the shit out of it.
in B.
because they hadn't finished writing C.
>>
File: steelseries 6gv2 keyboard.png (1MB, 1160x570px) Image search: [Google]
steelseries 6gv2 keyboard.png
1MB, 1160x570px
The same keyboard I use for everything. Steelseries 6gV2 mechanical keyboard I bought used for like 5 euros. It has a nice feeling and touch. It's mostly intended for modern FPS games I guess, but it feels good to type so playing old Sierra adventure games is way comfier now.
The "stiff" feedback helps me to type faster, and the slight claking sound reminds me of my childhood.
>>
>>3594270

https://www.pckeyboard.com/
>>
Cherry - the more expensive one are the real deal. There are many good ones out there by different vendors but the design is often painfully childish... too PredatorGaymingXYZ-ish.
>>
File: g80-3000lfade-had-top.jpg (86KB, 698x414px) Image search: [Google]
g80-3000lfade-had-top.jpg
86KB, 698x414px
I'm using a '89 Model M right now, doing mostly office/web browsing, but for gaming I slightly prefer old Cherry MX Black switches.

I got three G80's, two with double-shot keycaps, one of them with full n-key rollover. I found all of them in the rubbish, really just keep your eyes open.

At least here in germany Model M's are rather rare to find in the electronic waste as most of them were either thrown away already or taken by those who appreciate them. Cherry G80's however are still a very common sight, often with the AT/DIN connector. If your mainboard still has a ps/2 socket, you can just get or build an adaptor, as both plugs are electronically identical and just have a different plug shape.
>>
>>3598804
Great one. All expensive models(70€+) are still built in Germany... hopefully. G80-3000 seems to be THE classic keyboard.
>>
File: G80-1501HAD_068719.jpg (132KB, 1280x562px) Image search: [Google]
G80-1501HAD_068719.jpg
132KB, 1280x562px
>>3598910
I've heard they shifted production of the G80s (which cost 50-60€) to czech republic, and some claim the quality has gone down dramatically.

My experience is that Cherry G80s were never as massive and tank-like as a Model M. Even models from the early 90s have a rather cheap and lightweight plastic case that is easy to bend. However, at some point they switched from double shot keycaps to laser engraved ones, and others say the cases are even lighter now than the old ones.

BUT my G80-1501 (!), which has card reader implemented, is significantly better built than even the old G80-3000s. The case is a bit larger at the top (see image) and as the Num, Shift-Lock and Roll LEDs have been replaced by ones that show the status of the card reader, they have been moved under the respective keys. Really cool find.
>>
File: IBM Keyboard.jpg (81KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
IBM Keyboard.jpg
81KB, 1600x1195px
>>3594270

I bought one of these off Ebay. Hasn't been delivered yet. I hope it is nice. I saw a Model M on there for £150!

Too rich for my pocket.
>>
>>3600846
150 pounds for a Model M? That's really expensive.

Unless it's a very special version, they usually go for 20-50 € here, sometimes less.

What keyboard is that? Does it have any special features? Looks like a cheap rubber dome keyboard to me.
>>
>>3600986

It's nothing special. Ebay can be a place to find good deals most of the time. The price for retro gaming stuff has went up alot recently.
>>
>>3600846
By far the finest rubber dome keyboard I've ever typed on.
>>
>>3594270
That's good but there are plenty of alternatives. I use several because I have a lot of setups and use them for modern games as well. Many modern keyboards have shitty key limits. I have a "gaming" laptop where the keyboard is useless for some games because of that. So not a "gaming" laptop if you can't actually play games on it Samsung cunts. At least it doesn't burst into flames like all their other shit. And the USB keyboard spec is limited to 6 keys anyway which you can easily hit when doing fast combos. PS/2 is the way to go.
>>
File: detail-14l.jpg (143KB, 920x495px) Image search: [Google]
detail-14l.jpg
143KB, 920x495px
Any recommendations for Japanese keyboards? Compared standard Western European keyboard layouts such as QUERTY or AZERTY they have a bunch of extra keys that need to be mapped to awkward shortcuts or hard to reach places.
Topre is a Japanese company producing mechanical keyboards so they might be my choice.
>>
>>3599850
Sucks that every company moves its production elsewhere.
"Krankenversichertenkarte" is surely a nice bonus... epically e-card approved.
>>
I have a Razer Synapse Ultimate that I got at a Goodwill for 4 bucks. Nice find that one way, fully mechanical and has backlit keys.

Sure I never use it for anything intensive, but I love the sound it makes when I'm typing out garbage on 4chan
>>
>>3603710
You can take any of the good recommendations ITT and add "Japanese version" for your answer.
>>
>>3603710
I could never use such a tiny space bar
>>
>>3594270
get in on this band wagon.
Model Ms ain't got shit on Model Fs

Not a viral marketer, I just really think its a great idea and placed my order.
>>
>>3605236
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/
forgot my link like the fat piece of shit I am
>>
File: 60101.jpg (89KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
60101.jpg
89KB, 1000x750px
I picked up an old HP KB-9970 for three bucks at Savers that I use as a keyboard right now. It's rather heavy and feels pretty good for a rubber dome but I'd love to try an old mechanical.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.