[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the last retro game that you played for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: another.png (8KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
another.png
8KB, 320x200px
What was the last retro game that you played for the first time that really impressed you?

I played and beat Another World for the first time today and thought it was amazing.
>>
>>3591301
Jagged Alliance 2. Absolutely stellar.
>>
>>3591301
I'm really glad you liked Another World. That game astonished me with its graphics and weird designs back in the days.

I recently finished Eye of the Beholder. Had not used Dosbox before, but it worked really well, and the game was great.
>>
>>3591301
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Already a few years ago. I realized that it is just as good as the Solid titles.
>>
Donkey Kong Country. I had seen speedruns but that doesn't compare to the game on your tv. The water levels are gorgeous. Alas, I haven't finished it. I got stuck on the factory level and, while attempting to do the lives cheat, accidentally deleted my file.
>>
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangiaoh

N64 2D Mech game, pretty sweet. Didn't know they made any actually good 2D games for N64.

>inb4 Mischief Makers
>>
File: magicant.jpg (364KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
magicant.jpg
364KB, 900x675px
Mother. Itoi managed to put so much love and emotion to it, it's unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZMMSDx3Yg
>>
>>3591374
the factory runs are really fun, especially when the lights go out and the flaming barrels.

Damn now I want to have a go at DKC.
>>
>>3591374
That sucks but at least the game isn't long. You can breeze through the first few worlds.
>>
File: 1476532441568.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476532441568.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>3591318
Are you me?

I'm in the middle of Eye of the Beholder on DOS too after playing the SNES version on a lark and getting into it. The game plays so well on DOS, isn't as ball-bustingly hard or esoteric as some of the earlier CRPGs that preceeded it, and has a really nice steady progression. I was impressed by how well it hooked me.
>>
>>3591301

There is a sequel to Another World called Heart of the Alien. It released on Sega CD.
>>
Thief. Truly a one of a kind game.
>>
Probably intelligent qube. Typically I get bored of puzzle games pretty quickly but I love IQ.
>>3591406
Shame the gameplay is pretty shit. I still love it though and do a replay every year.
>>
>>3593461
Heart of the Alien is pretty shitty though, only worth playing if you want to see how easy it is to fuck up something as seemingly simple as Another World.
>>
Broken Sword.
Can't believe I waited all these years to play it, Georges bants are hilarious.
>>
>>3591623

The ice world is unbearable.
>>
>>3593504
George is a dick.
>>
File: sg1000adapter_5533.jpg (596KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sg1000adapter_5533.jpg
596KB, 2000x1500px
>>3591301
Elevator Action.

err, wait, that's was the case for a while recently, but most lately...

Choplifter

However, IMO the newer 8-bit (as in NES generation) versions of these suck!
>>
>>3591301
Super Metroid, easily a top 5 favorite game for me
>>
>>3594008
Played it half a year ago and I really loved it. Most disappointing thing is that there aren't any games like it.
>>
>>3594008
Played this one a few months ago, was very impressed by it. Also played Hyper Zone recently which was pretty great, but unfortunately too short to REALLY hit it with me like Super Metroid did.

>>3596032
If you haven't played Dark Souls I'd recommend that one. It's 3D but I think someone who likes one of these two games would like the other as well. A lot of similar design decisions.
>>
I played FFIV for the first time this year and finished it in 3 days because I liked it so much, which surprised me because I played V and VI before it and dropped them out of boredom
>>
>>3593998
That SJ-150 controller looks a lot better than the SJ-200s that came packed with the SC-3000. At least the Master System controller works with the SC-3000.
>>
>>3594008

SM is so unique that even its sequels fail to capture its greatness.
>>
I know they're not amazing technical feats of wonder but I was impressed with the quality and degree of "personality" of certain games when I first tried the NGPC a couple years ago, Gals Fighters is impressively smooth and fast-paced for a handheld fighting game and it feels like they faithfully captured the arcade KOF versions of the characters in the roster (granted now with Marvel juggle combos)
>>
>>3596384
I remember being blown away playing Gal Fighters on that thing as well. Never imagined a handheld could handle one so well.
>>
>>3596074
>Dark Souls
Completly different game. Focus on exploration vs combat. It's actually difficult as a result. 3D. Completly different aesthetic.
Every game afterwards tried to differ by including more elaborate combat, which I personally do not want. I just want to slowly float around an alien planet and shoot a bit.
>>
>>3596237
It's quite an impressive standard, isn't it? SG-1000, Master system, Atari, Genesis, Amiga...

I wish I could scoop me up an arcade stick for that set.
>>
>>3591301
If we're talking about graphics, I remember my jaw dropped when I first saw the intro cutscene for banjo-kazooie, back in the day. Most recently, I remember being very impressed with Batman & Robin on Genesis. The 3D feel they were able to give to that game is unreal, way better than the superfx chip.

If we're talking about an impressive game as a whole, Zelda OOT would probably be my choice.
Other retro game I played more recently that impressed me were VB Wario Land, Doom 64 and Descent.
>>
>>3594008
I think the best thing about Super Metroid is that the game is really lenient.

By lenient I mean the game let you explore other places early by using more complex plataforming techniques. Not only that makes puzzles have more than one answer, it also opens the exploration of the game by A LOT.

Unfortunately not many other games in the genre do that.
>>
Oddly enough, Super Metroid.
Had never played it until a year ago. Then I started playing and never wanted to stop. Now I understand why so many people place it in their most beloved games list.
>>
popful mail, because i never heard of it back then and it has everything of an AAA game
>>
>>3591301
>>3593461
There's also Flashback.
Same company and same style.
>>
>>3598092
On a technical level Adventures of Batman and Robin has to be the most impressive thing that came out of that generation. Not only are the graphics impressive on a technical level but they're aesthetically pretty to look at as well. And even the music is fucking fantastic.

It's just a shame really the game gets super hard super quick and not hard in a fun kind of way, it just starts throwing mobs at the player.

I'd really love to know if the Clockwork Tortoise staff was absorbed by another company and see what they did afterward
>>
In earliest time of emulation I've played Warioland: Super Mario Land 3. I was sure, that this is the greatest platformer I've ever played.

Then Donkey Kong '94 on GB happened. Holy shit. I never got bored in any of levels. Always challenging, gradually implementing new features.
>>
>>3593497
>It was a terrible game.

I liked it.
>>
Any other 20 something year olds have this happen a lot with retro games or am I just easily impressed?

I am playing 99% of retro games for the first time and for much of them there's a "wow" factor. Like I remember I first played SM64 maybe six years ago in middle school (I'm 20) and it felt so cool, despite the fact I had much experience with Sunshine and other future Mario games. I played DKC and Super Metroid for the first time recently and they wowed me too. The graphics, music, atmosphere... They're so good. I wish my older brother had better taste; the only SNES games worth playing he owned were Mega Man X and Super Mario AllStars + World
>>
>>3598092
When you said better than FX, my expectations were much better. I probably would have thought that game was neat if you hadn't said that. Kinda ruined it for me. It looks alright for sure, but not much really appears to be 3D. It's all very sprite looking. Oh and the musical compositions are great, but the FM noises kinda ruin them.
>>
>>3591301
Heart of Darkness.

I still can't believe that shit is rated T for Teens. That game has some pretty gruesome deaths for a happy-kiddie style presentation it has.
>>
>>3600531
>rated T for Teens

Actually scratch that, it was rated E for Everyone, which is even more amazing.
>>
File: Rudra[1].png (33KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
Rudra[1].png
33KB, 256x223px
I'm playing Treasures of the Rudras and i'm overall impressed. It is actually a big game, overlooked because it was released when snes was about to die. One day we have to make a thread for games that were released when their system were crumbling.
>>
>>3591360
it's way better than the solid titles
>>
>>3600537
This is such a solid game. Really quite a good game.
>>
Only just got into Doom/Doom II, though I played a bit of it back in the 90s.

It's just plain fun with no bullshit, too many games don't have that.

There's also the sheer amount of content, I'm not even all the way through the iWADs and it's already felt like a more substantial experience than most things I've played.
>>
>>3600537
Would be a great game if it weren't for the fucked up magic system.
>>
>>3600651
>would be great if it weren't for the thing that makes it stand out

what a pleb
>>
>>3600537
A few months ago there was a thread about games featuring themes from Hinduism and this was never mentioned. Looks cool.
>>
>>3600671
It comes off as nice but it's ultimately shallow.
>>
>>3600678
so are 95% of magic systems
this one is at least unique
>>
A lot of retro games impress me, maybe because I'm going in them with really low expectations. Or maybe I am really easy to impress. Like, I was fascinated by a raft sequence in Castlevania Chronicles, and when you needed to carry princess you saved in Dragon Quest. And by the bossfights in Nosferatu. I don't expect old games to have something out of the norm, and almost every time I am wrong.
>>
>>3600694
Unique but shit.
>>
>>3600720
no u
>>
Blast Corps on N64. I played it a while back and didnt get very far but after picking it up again I see just how fantastic this game is. It's crazy addictive, completing levels and figuring out puzzles is just so much fun. Blowing up cubic skyscrapers and towns never felt like so much fun. I got gold medals and tried my best to finish most of the game, I think I almost fully completed it. Loved getting into it and would honestly kill for a modern successor with HD graphics and more advanced gameplay.
>>
>>3600728
Yes I'm unique but shit, not gonna argue that.
>>
Little Big Adventure
>>
>>3599938
No, same publisher. Eric Chahi did not work on Flashback.
>>
>>3591301
Unreal blew my mind multiple times.
First - with visual and sound design. It was far above brown corridors of Quake 2, more vibrant and rich than Half Life. Also music was amazing.
Second - with combat - weapons and monsters just clicked together extremely well, and Skaarj bot i was the best thing awailable at that time
Third time - with grand scale. Each level was huge and long, and there was so many of them to boot.
>>
Terranigma
>>
>>3594008

Have you played Castlevania Symphony of the Night?
>>
>>3602620
Soul Blazer for me. The rest of the trilogy was a disappointment.
>>
File: 1474175755709.jpg (37KB, 419x424px) Image search: [Google]
1474175755709.jpg
37KB, 419x424px
I just tried Rondo of Blood for the first time and I'm stunned. The graphics, the music, the tight controls and level design; the amount of polish is amazing. As a lover of the classic-style Castlevania games, this is everything I ever wanted.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.