[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here are the best 8bit and 16 bit console shmups. In no particular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

File: what is that thing.jpg (90KB, 640x472px) Image search: [Google]
what is that thing.jpg
90KB, 640x472px
Here are the best 8bit and 16 bit console shmups.

In no particular order. Not counting ports.

>NES
Recca: Unique gameplay. Love that charge bomb. killing bosses has more to do with strategy and targeting the weak point, rather than just button mashing and dodging at the same time. Awesome speed, tons of enemies on screen, great weapons. Hint: use the homing laser

>SNES
Super Aleste: Best shmup on the system. Tons of enemies on screen. No lag unlike most other shmups on the system. Some really fun and satisfying weapons to use. Lots of background shit to shoot up. If you like destroying blocks and tiles and shit, oh boy this is the game for you. Great game.

others: Axelay is overrated. R-type 3 suffers from massive slowdown and has way too many dead zones (scrolling screens with no enemies, no nothing) for comfort.

>Genesis
Thunder Force 3: Super fun game. Not that challenging but man what a blast to play. Fast, quick and satisfying is what this game is. Some of the best weapons in any shmup.

Thunder Force 4: Slower paced than part 3 but absolutely beautiful game. This can be a saturn game, the graphics are that good. I prefer the weapons from part 3, but the Saber attack is something awesome. I can't choose which is better: 3 or 4. They are both among the best console shmups ever.
>>
>>3590143
>PC-Engine
Air Zonk: Probably the best humorous shmup ever. Oozes charm and style, and the graphics are consistent as fuck. Very, very fun. Easy but satisfying.

Winds of Thunder: One of the coolest shmups ever. Close -range melee attacks. Great projectile weapons. Oozes style and graphics. Lovely fucking game. I love to just point-blank bosses in the face and unload sword slashes to take them down in a matter of seconds

Gate of Thunder: Awesome game. Increasing the difficulty adds so many new things to the gameplay. WoT and GoT both have some of the best difficulty settings ever. Bosses gain new attacks and patterns, tons more enemies on screen. Other shmups usually just increase the number of projectiles or enemy projectile speed, but noit these two games.

Soldier Blade: Best hucard shmup. Tons of style. Consistent graphics, everything looks good. Great music. Hard mode changes things up a lot. GFreat game.
>>
Why no UN squadron? Space Megaforce is tied for best.
>>
>>3590148
I said I'm not counting ports, homie.
>>
>>3590146
Honorable mentions:

GG Aleste 2 for Game Gear. This game is amazing for a handheld game from that era. Used to own and play the actual cartridge long long ago. Hint: Use the grenade weapon because it eats up enemy bullets.
>>
>>3590151
My bad, I'm an idiot. You said best shump on the system though which it isn't. It has a bro to chill next to with that honor.
>>
>>3590151
shit list then, console shmups are shit compared to arcade ones
>>
>>3590151
>>3590160
Also... you need MUSHA for genesis next time you do this.
>>
>>3590163
>missing the point

>>3590165
I'm not a big fan of that game. That deserves an honorable mention though.
>>
>>3590143
>Axelay is overrated
not more than Super Aleste, besides most people praise Super Aleste play on default difficulty which is shit
>>
>>3590163
Name me a port that is better than

-Gate of Thunder
-Thunder Force 4
>>
>>3590143
I feel like Axelay's biggest strength is its presentation. I love the game but the top down levels are a little difficult to stomach for me because of the gravity effect or whatever it is that drags your ship around. The horizontal levels are top-notch for SNES in my opinion.

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie is another great super famicom exclusive, it plays kind of like R Type but with an enemy capture gimmick, and little to no slowdown. It would probably tie with UN Squadron as my second-place shmup on SNES after Super Aleste.
>>
>>3590261
any toaplan port is better than those turds with broken scoring
>>
>>3590281
Scoring is for homosexuals.
>>
>>3590309
t. retarded console pleb who can't into real shmups
>>
>>3590312
>he came to a thread about "8bit and 16 bit console shmups" just to talk shit about console shmups

What a cool guy.
>>
Where the fuck is raiden?!?!
>>
NES needs Dragon Spirit which is a sequel and not a port.
>>
File: Untitled.png (103KB, 764x429px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
103KB, 764x429px
>>3590420
>>
>>3590426
Oh shit. Didn't see No ports. You shoulda just said "here's a list of all the second rate schmups"
>>
>>3590143
>R-type 3 suffers from massive slowdown
That's Super not 3.
And what suffers from dead zones is Final. 3 just has a long first level.
>>
>>3591464
Super does have some bad slowdown but man, I had a lot of fun with that game.
>>
>>3590151
U.N.Squadron isn't a port though. They changed it for Snes
>>3591464
R-Type III does as well, especially when it is doing mode 7.
>>
File: 49205_front.jpg (138KB, 640x921px) Image search: [Google]
49205_front.jpg
138KB, 640x921px
Gun-Nac: everything is fine, definitely the best shmup on NES.
Star Soldier: just love this game so much, played a lot.
Zombie Nation: easy and fun to clear, destruction a lot structures and enemies.
>>
>>3591508
>U.N.Squadron isn't a port though. They changed it for Snes

The arcade version is miles better.
>>
>>3591518
No it isn't. Capcom went out of their way to make the port way better than the arcade. This is fact.
>>
>>3591552
It's a fact that you're wrong.
>>
>>3591574
0/2 now. You need a different hobby.
>>
>>3591587
snes version is objectively worse. slowdowns. smaller screen. worse graphics, worse music. 2 characters are pointless. all the subweapons are retarded, you just spam them on the last couple bosses one after another. No 2 player modes.
>>
>>3591609
>smaller screen

resolution
>>
File: gaiares l.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gaiares l.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>3590143
>Genesis
>Thunder Force
>No Gaiares
>>
>>3591625
Gaiares, more like Gay-r-us
>>
>>3591660
Not easy enough for you?
>>
>>3591625
Renovation is so good. Vapor Trail and Arrow Flash are great too
>>
>>3590143
4>3 don't be crazy
>>
>>3591518
You are right there.
But unless you have a cabinet laying around I'd rather play the snes version.
>>
>>3591692
>the gaiares is hard meme
kek
>>
>>3591968
You are huge meme
>>
>>3590143
>Super Boreste best
>no mention of Macross Scrambled Valkyrie
>>
>>3592545
Play on a higher difficulty.

More like Macshit Scramshit Valkshit.
>>
>>3592556
quality post. Boreste'rs are so sensible...
>>
>>3592558
He's right though, most people that shit on Super Aleste are just casualfucks that play on default difficulty, like you
>>
>>3591968
He's the one who mentioned Thunder Force 3 being easy despite putting it on his list so that was the guess I made. Can you think of a better reason not to include it?
>>
Anyone even gives a shit about Bio-Hazard Battle these days? Loved that one.

>>3591854
I'm very nostalgic towards AF, and I think the sound is cool, but the game could use some work.
>>
>>3592967
Because it fucking sucks, faggot.
>>
>>3593073
biohazard battle was pretty legit cool as a spectacle because of how strange it was, as a shmup tho it was kinda meh, but def playable still
>>
>>3593443
Ohhh faggot! That's so meaningful! Care to actually give a genuine criticism?
>>
I was thinking about finally trying to get into shmups, but after seeing the infestation of autism these threads bring I think I won't bother.
>>
>>3594702
That's a weird attitude to have. Why would it matter what other people are like, if what you want is to play a video game?
>>
>>3594741
Because he's still at that young impressionable age where somebody sneezing at some undisclosed location in the world will trigger him.
>>
>>3594751
That's sad. Maybe if he had a better analog controller he would be more content in life.
>>
>>3590143
>no Truxton
>>
>>3594756
>>3594756
Something makes me think that OP's list of best console exclusive shmups is exactly the same as his list of played console exclusive shmups.
>>
>>3590143
The only bad word I have to say about Thunder Force 3 and 4 is that they're not ports. I would have loved to see them on Arcade Hardware. They're still great on the Megadrive/Genesis though don't get me wrong.
>>
>>3594756
>>3594759

I'm pretty sure Truxton has an Arcade version
>>
>>3594756

>>3590426

Dummy.
>>
File: giares 2l.jpg (100KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
giares 2l.jpg
100KB, 640x480px
I'm still genuinely wondering why he would leave Gaiares off. If he didn't like it for some reason it would make sense but nothing at all. It's like he hasn't even played it or something weird.
>>
>>3594768
because is shit
>>
>>3594741
>>3594751
>>3594754
>buzzwords

At least attempt to form an argument, kiddos. It's not difficult.

Why would I not want to get into a particular genre because of it's fanbase? You'd have to be literally autistic not to understand, considering this is a board for, you know, the discussion of retro video games. If I enjoy a genre of game, or a series, I like to discuss it with others. If I get into a genre only to find that its fanbase are a bunch of mouthbreathing, autistic contrarians, then it is a wasted and futile effort, as medium without fruitful discussion can never truly be satisfying. If you had a little more experience in life, you'd know that, but I suppose kids will be kids.
>>
>>3591518
>Super Aleste: Best shmup on the system.
lol. opinion:discarded.
>>
>>3595103
so you play games just to have something to talk about becouse you are a boring, shallow person? sad!
>>
>>3595103
>form an argument
That would imply we should have anything left to say to you.

But here let me help you out
>only to find that its fanbase
You're in one thread that has probably 10 people how of several hundred thousand fans. What's more, you're on 4chan a place that shares webspace with /pol/ and /b/. So you're saying that you're making a rather sizeable decision based not on the fanbase, but on a few guys in a thread.

Do you know how stupid this sounds? Do you know why we're ridiculing you? How about you come back when you're older and we can wean you onto the good stuff.
>>
>>3595115
What is then?
>>
>>3595103
Well you apparently play these games and you're one of the most infantile, maladjusted mental cases I've ever seen on this site. That doesn't impede my love of these games in any way. I just think you're a retard who also happens to play them. Sure you play them badly, but it makes no difference.
>>
File: Magical-Chase-FanEd-Front.jpg (285KB, 1423x1397px) Image search: [Google]
Magical-Chase-FanEd-Front.jpg
285KB, 1423x1397px
>>3590146
You forgot one of the greatest Cute-Em-Ups ever made.
Also features one of the greatest soundtracks on the system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDL9tONyAuc
>>
>no transbot
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.