[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about starting a playthrough of Zelda 2. Is it reasonable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: a30.jpg (284KB, 600x423px) Image search: [Google]
a30.jpg
284KB, 600x423px
Thinking about starting a playthrough of Zelda 2.

Is it reasonable to play without a guide or does it go full autismo? I don't actually mind using a guide for small things but i don't want to need it the whole time. Not looking to drop 50 hours into the game.
>>
>>3585534

There is exactly one spot I got stuck in and I had to use a guide. More or less it's pretty straight forward.

It's a combat heavy game, with lots of resource management. Ocarina of Time after after Zelda fans are used to much easier games, and can't handle a real challenge. But it's really not that hard. Just be smart.

Like some people complain about the 3 lives thing. It just forces you to be smart and not stupid. Ensure that you complete something with your 3 lives. Be it get a new item, or beat a palace. And it means be smart with your upgrades. Do you go for the quick upgrade right now, or risk going for a better upgrade at the risk of losing all your lives?
>>
>>3585534
You shouldn't need a guide. One town is pretty well-hidden and you might want to look up its location if you get frustrated, but I don't recall anything else that was particularly difficult to figure out.
>>
>>3585535
thanks a lot mate, looks like i'll give it a crack

i watch speedruns of it a lot and just can never get enough of the music
>>
>>3585534
I heard from someone that this game is actually fairly easy if you just level up really high early in the game, I've been meaning to give this a play-through trying this

good luck
>>
>>3585542
If you buff your sword to level 3 or 4 before you're done with the first palace it's fair in its difficulty.
Stuff like anti-fairies taking 96(?) hits to kill on sword level 1 is tedious, but they give 50xp each and make for easy farming early.
>>
>>3585534

ABG: ALWAYS BE GRINDING

In my experience, that turned out being the most useful advice.
>>
You don't really need a guide, you just need to git gud.

The game allows you a lot of freedom for how you want to build your character and every enemy encounter demands that you legit your way through it. There are a couple of cheese tactics in combat here and there but you still have to get the timing for those tactics down.
>>
>>3585581
>Stuff like anti-fairies taking 96(?) hits to kill on sword level 1 is tedious, but they give 50xp each and make for easy farming early.
Don't do this. Just farm the Stalfos and Ironknuckles instead, much more efficient.
>>
>>3585589
This. It was the very first game I ever played with XPs and the concept escaped me completely so I hated it. It literally gave me some kind of traumatic stress that I didn't go back to it for like 10 years then I loved it.

Just approach it as an ARPG and you'll be fine. If you already think other Zelda games are ARPGs you'll be fucked.
>>
>>3585685
I personally farm Tektites when I want to get those levels in the later game.
>>
>>3585534
No. There are maybe 5 games total that force you to use a guide. Literally everything you need to know will be told to you in game.
>>
>>3585534
The last temple is a giant kick in the nuts....

Other than that, you should be able to manage on your own easy enough.
If retarded kid me could do it, so can you.
>>
>>3585537
This. There's only one instance in AoL where you'd need a guide and it's that although the probability of success even without one immediately jumps by around 80% if you just remember that the hammer can destroy trees.
>>
There are a few places where locations are hidden in forests and swamps and you'll have to tile-hunt to find them, or look at a guide.
>>
>>3585716
I just don't beat the bosses until late in the game. The free level up for placing the crystal is best used on the expensive levels.
>>
>>3585685
I would say you should absolutely kill anti-faeries for the first 4 or so sword levels. Where are you finding Stalfos/iron knuckles that respawn that fast?
>>
>>3586027
You don't have to place the crystal after you kill the boss. The game has enough attention to detail that you can jump over the center of the screen and come back.
>>
>>3585534
This diorama makes me really wish they'd release a Zelda 2 style game with Paper Mario style graphics.
>>
>>3585716
Seconding this, once you cross the ocean and get the fire spell they're pretty easy to kill and abundant. I usually grind out 2-3 levels at this point.
>>
>>3585534
It has good music.
>>
>>3585535
>There is exactly one spot I got stuck in and I had to use a guide.

Same, and I have no doubt you were stuck on the exact same thing.
>>
>>3585534
>that shitty filter
goddamn don't tell me you think that looks better than a CRT
>>
>>3587310

Are you talking about the hidden village? Does the game even give you any hints for that?
>>
Just play one of the good Zelda games instead.
>>
>>3589261
Zelda 2 is one of the good Zeldas
>>
>>3587310
I needed the guide for the totally unhinted house in the middle of nowhere

Also for what on earth you do with the last spell...
>>
>>3589115
It does, but the typical player is likely to assume that they just need to walk on the correct forest tile to enter the village, because that's how some previous secret areas worked.
>>
>>3589331
But not one of the great Zeldas.
>>
>>3590329
Yes it is, since Aonuma wasn't around to ruin it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.