[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there ever any other game that was immediately considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 4

File: gfs_14106_1_1.jpg (23KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_14106_1_1.jpg
23KB, 640x480px
Was there ever any other game that was immediately considered a contender for "the greatest game ever made" the minute it came out?

I'm having a hard time thinking of any other release ever where the hype was so massive and the disappointment so nonexistent, where everybody was waiting for it with bated breath and it fucking delivered
>>
>>3585237

This game shifted a paradigm

Action adventure games could now be 3D without tank control. Combat could feel natural and fluid.

Not much has given me that "wow new technology" feeling in games, except fleeting glimpses with vr
>>
>>3585237
SMB 3 maybe
>>
>>3585237
Final Fantasy 7

Ya'll hate on it now but at the time everyone said it, and even on the back of the fucking case, was considered GOAT and everyone fucking loved it
>>
>>3585237
That intro still hits me in the feels.
>>
>>3585269
True
>>
Doom
>>
>>3585278
Was Doom hyped pre-release? I could have sworn it was one of those phenomena that accelerated under its own power as the shareware got distributed
>>
>>3585237
Grand Theft Auto 3
>>
>>3585272
doo doo dooooooo doodoodoooooo
>>
>>3585237
Halo and half-life 2. Maybe not so much halo, but HL2 definitely.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ShzyggtsCs
>>
>>3585259
Uhh, Tomb Raider
>>
Mario 64
>>
Virtua Fighter
>>
>>3585237

Warcraft 2 is definitely a contender, as far as strategy games are concerned. Battlenet changed multiplayer forever.

I would also argue Rome: Total war, since it got fucking TV shows devoted to it on the grounds of its realism. It also seems like it's this weird semi-acknowledged facet of a lot of younger historians' lives, like a catalyst that got people interested in reading history and classic literature, which is kind of a beautiful thing in its own right.
>>
>>3585372
Tomb Raider controlled like shit though, and it has a grid-based movement system
>>
>>3585496
>tfw still can't find Wc2 disc

I wanna play the campaigns again so bad
>>
>>3585237
Yes. Many. We used to get them on a regular basis. As your grandparents for a list.
>>
>>3585497
>it has a grid-based movement system
What d'you mean? I recall Tomb Raider having tank controls, too.
>>
>>3585237
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII
Symphony of the Night
Half-life
Resident Evil 4
Doom

Those are a few that have been hailed as the best ever, but it doesn't really matter
>>
>>3585503
No shame in torrenting that m8
>>
Metal Gear Solid was the first game in 10 years to get all 10s in EGM along with an editorial saying that video games had officially gotten so good it was possible for them to be perfect.
>>
>>3585314
Add portal 2 to that list
>>
>>3585592
>SoTN
Not a lot of people were excited for that game prior to it coming out.
>>
>>3586113
yea i had never heard of it before going on this forum
>>
>>3585591
The environment is a grid, but the actual movement is pretty freeform depending on whether you got your guns out and are strafe-hopping, or just spinning in place, or even turning while running forward.
It's got a little of everything.
>>
>>3586113
I chalk it up to Konami being absolute shit at marketing.

Metal Gear is an outlier because it's creator is a film nut and the numerous rabid fans manage to hunt down info on their own.
>>
>>3585591
>>3586135
Tomb Raider does in fact have grid-based movement and you must have realized this on some level if you played it very far.

>>3585497
You're wrong about the controls though as should be obvious since the control/animation is so fluid these other anons didn't even register the grid.
>>
>>3586143
What is grid-based movement exactly?

....you mean like Advance Wars? *rimshot*
>>
>>3586143
The controls are shit, a clunky mess that fights the player like a rabid bitch.
>>
That's how I felt about MGS3.
>>
File: symphony-spot-08.jpg (183KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
symphony-spot-08.jpg
183KB, 800x540px
>>3586138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1koHl22cd4
I never got to see this ad.

What I did get to see, was something much better; many years ago(late 90s), while at a pokemon tournament at a LGS, I was browsing games and noticed some teens playing something on a playstation.

I moved in to see what there were playing and saw something unlike anything before. The guy playing was on the Cathedral stage(see pic), I saw how his sprite jumped around, leaving afterimages, the cool looking weapons and spells, that giant poltergeist sword with small "puppet" swords.

I didn't even ask what game it was... but I remembered it. A few years after that, I was at a pawn shop browsing through their games, but one in particular caught my eye with its striking black case: SOTN.

I asked to see it, turned it over and thought the images on the back looked cool, so I traded for it, not even realizing that it had been the game I had longed for. Ended up being one of my favorites, too.
>>
>>3586143
Every virtually rendered 3D space uses a grid.
The distinction helps no one.
>>
>>3586217
Take a look at a level in Tomb Raider, especially the textures and platforms you will see that it's on a grid.
>>
>>3586220
He'll just repeat his argument.

>>3586217
The first time a person usually realizes it is when they need to jump a three-square gap. You have Lara walk to the very edge with the walk button so she doesn't just fall off then you have her hop back. She hops back exactly one square (which is important when you start having to make these jumps from atop one-square columns) then you begin a running jump. She needs exactly one square of running before she jumps so she jumps at exactly the edge and when running, she jumps exactly two squares but she moves another square forward for every square she drops at running jump speed so she can catch an edge that's three-squares away and she can catch an edge four squares away and one square down but if she goes down more than one square she can no longer catch hold which is fine because at that point she begins losing forward momentum anyway and is fucked. Sideways jumping, sidestepping, turning while running and indeed all other movement she is capable of performing is likewise very precisely by-the-grid.
>>
>>3585496
Rome Total War got me where I am today, working in the British Museum.
>>
>>3585303
This was a big thing for me and my friends. It really felt like games couldn't get any more free by then.
>>
>>3585269
Didn't thousands of people buy a $60 game they didn't give a shit about just to try the FFVII demo disc that came with it?
>>
>>3586143
>Grid
You are mistaking strict movement distance with grid.
>>
>>3585303
considering its contemporaries, creating a living open world in 3d was very ambitious and they mostly nailed it
>>
>>3585314
When Half-Life 2 came out, Steam issues killed everyone's boners. Alien Slaves were reduced to some friendly NPC a couple times, bullsquid got canned, the icky appeared once for all of 1 second in the intro, almost no alien weapons or scientific weapons, driving sections overstayed its welcome. Almost everything I liked about Half-Life were either missing, cut, or reduced. Definitely not "delivered".
>>
I was never hyped by OoT or impressed by it.

I was too concerned with the series shifting to 3D, and when I played the game on demo units, I felt like my fears about Zelda going 3D were confirmed.
>>
>>3585279
No hype. Doom just had the best graphics at the time and it ran well.

I don't remember Zelda being hyped till magazines reviewed it and people realized how great it was. Of course I got a copy. I didn't even like RPG adventures or hack n slash anything until Ocarina.

I don't understand how Mario64 and Ocarina of Time were able to exist. The programmers must have been slaving away. Today's games don't reach the same quality level. There is so much packed into those cartridges that hadn't been done before. Its kind of like the Sonic Games...where the whole experience is perfect.

I'd say Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 were the greatest games of all time when they came out.
>>
>>3586879
dude stfu
zelda 64 was choice
you could always play the portable ones too
>>
>>3586951
That's what I ended up doing. OoT and SM64 were major reasons why I didn't get an N64 that generation, and the other consoles weren't pushing any games I was interested in either.
>>
>>3585237
>the greatest game ever made
That's not Unreal.
>>
>>3587161
LOL
O
L
>>
>>3585269
>Ya'll hate on it now but at the time everyone said it, and even on the back of the fucking case, was considered GOAT and everyone fucking loved it

That's true, but I was disappointed with it even at the time. The game was good, but nothing like the super awesome experience it was built up to be. The game's structure is way to story driven and the gameplay is mostly bare bones and allows for very limited interaction. Having a world map, materia system and fantastic direction take it pretty far, but not that much far over being a fairly good game.

OoT, on the other hand, was sometime I has no expectations for, but was everything I had hoped FFVII was going to be and more. It completely blew my mind that an experience like this was even possible. In fact, part of why my expectations for OoT weren't that high was that, from having played FFVII and small excerpts of OoT, I expected OoT to be limited and 'RPG like' in most of the ways FF was.
>>
I haven't played oot, what made it special?
>>
>>3585237
Mario 64
/thread
>>
>>3587340
>I haven't played oot

Then play it. That should answer any question you may have better than we could.
>>
>>3587346
Yeah wasn't it the first Edge 10? OOT being the second or third one (Gran Turismo might be second).
>>
File: 5byy49.jpg.png (82KB, 557x747px) Image search: [Google]
5byy49.jpg.png
82KB, 557x747px
>>3585237
This game, although few people played it
>>
>>3586879
If I may ask, what exactly were those fears?
>>
>>3585237
>>3585265
>>3585269
>>3585278
>>3585391
>>3585592
All correct.

>>3585314
I remember the original HL being a big deal, the minimal HUD, the "realistic" weapons set, the interactive cutscenes. It's all stuff we shit on now but only because it's been played out to the point of becoming a cliche. I remember HL2 being critically acclaimed and adored when it came out but now it doesn't get the same appreciation, I personally like it but not as much as the first.

I can see the Halo influence in the COD games and other modern shooters so I have to agree that it deserves a place, even if I'm not a fan of the series.

>>3585796
We also shit on this for the Hollywood voice acting and being a "movie" game, despite the fact it was one of the (if not THE) first to have all these things together in a nicely polished game, same as above with their respective roles.

All of these might be "overrated" if you think that, but they've inspired so much since (for better or worse) that saying they don't deserve their place as some of the greatest of all time is simply incorrect.
>>
>>3585237
What are you talking about? Zelda 64 was hyped to fuck then was a huge let down with poor controls, 12 fps, a lifeless world, with gay fairies and gay music.
>>
>>3586113
Yeah, SOTN better falls under the definition of "cult classic", like Rocky Horror or The Thing. Way more people were excited for (and disappointed by) Castlevania 64 because of its 3D-ness.
>>
>>3585314
If you mean those games are influential in how they robbed us of player agency and turned FPSes into linear first person cutscenes, then they nailed it.

Half-Life 2 especially, fuck that game.
>>
>>3587506
I'm totally with you man.
>>
>>3585269
I was disappointed in FF7. I preferred FF# for the SNES then, and looking back, still do, without question. The characters, music, tone, and overall world that FF3 presented just engulfed me so much more.
>>
>>3587498
>Yeah, SOTN better falls under the definition of "cult classic", like Rocky Horror or The Thing.
Hell no. It was lionized as fuck at the time; every gaming magazine placed it on a pedestal and it was practically deified by everyone, even more so as the game was becoming scarce in retailers.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best
31 best ever lists.
>>
>>3586138
>film nut
More like a flick nut
>>
>>3587506
You've not played either, have you?
>>
>>3586095
>Portal 2
Nah.

>>3587346
Yes.

See the thing about the question is, I think a lot of magazines were quick to say a game was "the greatest of all-time" simply when they knew it would be remembered. As the tech gap sloped off, people became more cautious of giving out that title unless it was something really different (or shamelessly self-promoting, like a few more modern examples from the aforementioned wikipedia articles).

I seem to remember the buzz about Metroid Prime being quite big, although, similar to Castlevania, that too has never received such widespread acceptance.

Interesting thread though.
>>
>>3587474
I just didn't believe Mario or Zelda could work in 3D. Nintendo changed everything about Mario in order to make Mario 64, and I felt like Zelda would suffer the same fate. So I played the game on demo units and was turned off by the drawn-out Kokiri Village opening and awkward controls. The game just didn't feel right to me.

Keep in mind I was 12 when OoT came out and I had played a ton of LttP and LA. I hadn't gotten heavily into the original LoZ at that time yet because the dungeon music scared me and I was too young to fully appreciate Zelda II like I do now.
>>
>>3588520
To me, Mario has always been about responsive controls and the joy of movement. It's partially why I hated the Galaxy titles.

So back when the series was 2D, I appreciated the jump control and momentum feeling natural. I think 3D Mario did the same thing, but since movement became such an expanse option, they had to change the structure of the game, as well.

Now, Zelda is a different story. I think that both of the initial stabs at 3D Zelda didn't quite nail the "surprise every square" feel of the originals, where the overworld shaped how you moved and overcame obstacles. The Wind Waker sort of did it, but they failed because of a lack of density (even in regards to enemies) and difficulty.

I know I'm going to sound like a madman, but the one 3D Zelda that did get the feeling of interwoven paths opening up and changing the way you move and progress was Skyward Sword.
>>
>>3588529
I think Wind Waker came the closest to doing Zelda properly in 3D, even if it was still a country mile off. If the world were the same size but mostly land, had more dungeons, and was full of enemies to survive against, it could have been the one.

For what it's worth, I've played through OoT a few times since the game came out and I'll say it's a well-made game, but it's well-made despite the limitations of the N64 controller.

The 4th gen to 5th gen transition was just very worrisome to me in a lot of ways, not the least of which being that I felt like I wasn't wanted anymore. 3D was getting pushed everywhere and 2D games were dismissed as being outdated. I moved to my Game Boy Color and PC instead of any of the consoles.
>>
>>3588618
>If the world were the same size but mostly land, had more dungeons, and was full of enemies to survive against, it could have been the one.
Then boy, do I have good news for you.
>>
>>3585237
Street Fighter 2. I don't even like fighting games but it was an incredible improvement over the first.

>>3588618
imo the gamecube version is significantly better than the n64 version just because it's nintendo's best controller versus their worst.
>>
>>3587874
Cut it out that hurts.
>>
File: Ssfiitlogo.png (20KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
Ssfiitlogo.png
20KB, 384x224px
>>3588637
>Street Fighter 2
Damn, I'm actually surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Super Turbo just might be the greatest fighting game of all time, absolutely timeless.
>>
>>3588529
>To me, Mario has always been about responsive controls and the joy of movement. It's partially why I hated the Galaxy titles.

Agreed.

> I think that both of the initial stabs at 3D Zelda didn't quite nail the "surprise every square" feel of the original

3D Zelda is better precisely because it isn't held down by or beholden to this. 3D Zelda is freely structured, with some areas being much denser than others because this makes sense and allows greater variety. The game is no longer restricted to the grid that 2D Zelda was, and so it takes full advantage of this, with whole areas forming the structure.

>I know I'm going to sound like a madman

You are. SS's biggest weakness was that it was a 3D Zelda designed like a 2D Zelda, only more linear.
>>
>>3588939
>3D Zelda is better precisely because it isn't held down by or beholden to this. 3D Zelda is freely structured, with some areas being much denser than others because this makes sense and allows greater variety. The game is no longer restricted to the grid that 2D Zelda was, and so it takes full advantage of this, with whole areas forming the structure.

Maybe in theory I could agree with this. It's just a shame that most of the actual designs of areas in these games leave a lot to be desired however.
>>
>>3585269

I remember everybody shitting on it when it came out, though.
>>
I think it just depends on the person, to me the whole zelda and FF franchises arent interesting at all. Im just not an RPG guy, I can play the hell out of RTS games though and enjoy it but rpgs games bore me to death. I dont mind grinding but the story and atmosphere dont do it for me.

Id rather play a game like mgs, syphon filter, ape escape, crash bandicoot, dk64, mario 64, yoshi story, nfs.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.