[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some retro games that used to be unpopular or disliked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 3883883.png (694KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
3883883.png
694KB, 700x500px
What are some retro games that used to be unpopular or disliked but have gained popularity in the last sixteen years? Why? Do you agree with the change?

According to my studies, hardcore gamers in the 90s hated games like Pokemon, Spyro, and Crash. They were cash-grabby kiddie crap and mascot platformers "didn't belong" on a teenage geared console like the Playstation. Obviously this has changed greatly because the 8 year olds back then are now the current hardcore market and have great respect and nostalgia for these types of games.

Likewise, Majora's Mask was seen as the most controversial Zelda for years. I even remember that sort of talk six or so years ago. Now it goes head-to-head with OOT.
>>
I remember people talking crap about Bomberman 64 back in the day, but I don't hear much of that now.
>>
I did hate those three games but it was just because I was an edgy "hardcore gamer" at the time you're referring to. The girls did end up playing Croc pretty heavily and way before that, my fat girlfriend played Rayman. Spyro and Crash never spun in my Playstation.

One game that was universally considered crap that has completely reversed since is Earthbound.
>>
>>3584725

I don't think Mother 2 was ever considered bad. Just unpopular.
>>
>>3584816
So how do you define "unpopular"?
>>
>>3584836
Not him but the friends I hung with never talked about it save one out of my entire cul-de-sac. Contrast with Mario in which everybody talked about them.

Anyways:
>>3584689
Treasure Hunter G has it's own small fandom now.
>>
>>3584689
Your examples are like that now because at the time of their release, their real fans were kiddies, who didn't have a real voice in the greater community at first but later grew up and replaced the old guard. Classic case of waxing nostalgia.
>>
>>3584689
The biggest change in opinion in recent times was the dreamcast and everything on it. It went from something a few people had with relatively obscure games no one heard of to a retro monster because piracy. It used to be regularly shit on, then forgotten. Now that anyone with 20 bucks and a cd burner has gone through the library the reception has gone from "sanic and some arcade ports" to "jesus fucking christ japs are weird as shit" The only positive reception it had in the mainstream at the time was the online, sports games, and pso.

Like the DC, emulation brought a lot of games to light. The rest is just generational gaps and nostalgia like >>3584881 said.
>>
>>3584689
I feel you nailed the most prominent example: Crash and Spyro.

The press at the time never really hated those games, but always considered them as not cream of the crop on PSX. Certainly, they never considered them a match for Nintendo or Rare platformers, but as a decent alternative.

Now Crash and Spyro seem to be considered real PSX classics. But who was right? Did the press underrate them because they were kiddy, or does the born-in-1995 set overrate them due to nostalgia?
>>
Street Fighter 3.
>>
>>3584689
>hardcore gamers
So idiots?
>>
>>3585261

People back then were just dumb. Crash is a great platformer and personally I prefer Spyro 2 and 3 over the Rare platformers.
>>
>>3585709
Crash is a very interesting series that I was guilty of overlooking in the 90s because I was too excited by games that really used the freedom of 3D space to invent new and innovative gameplay. Crash did the opposite, literally applying 2D platformer design to a 3D space and using that self-imposed limitation to perform a bunch of black magic to give it some of the best graphics on the console. Spyro, on the other hand... Wew lad, it's clearly a Rare imitator.

My wife (born 1991) on the other hand pretty much ONLY ever played those two games on Playstation and she nostalgias hard when she plays them it's cute. It also gave her an onramp directly into playing Skylanders which is nice for her to know well since she's an elementary school teacher and it makes the students think she's cool. She also enjoys playing it with our son who started getting into video games about a year ago when he was two and a half. Now, at three and a half his gaming skills are beginning to get on par with hers which is pretty funny. He might even be better at Little Big Planet.
>>
>>3584725
>Earthbound was universally considered crap

you're a fucking moron
>>
>>3585734
>my wife
>"our" son

Do you also smoke a pipe and talk like Jimmy Stewart?
>>
>>3585750
Show me a glowing review of Earthbond from the 90s anywhere other than Nintendo Power. Magazines said not to buy it. Very few people did buy it. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy "3" sold out while thousands of copies of Earthbound sat around unsold in warehouses then were shuffled around among speculators waiting for a moment to artificially manipulate the market which is exactly what they did almost 10 years ago.
>>
File: james-stewart-rearwindow-22[1].jpg (52KB, 533x380px) Image search: [Google]
james-stewart-rearwindow-22[1].jpg
52KB, 533x380px
>>3585752
...shometimes
>>
Grandia 1 and 2 have gained a lot of traction now, though despite being well-reviewed they were never that popular in the west.. I think those who bothered to play them shilled them to the point where they've finally become recognised as two of the best of the genre.

Chrono Cross is another big example, no one ever knew what to make of that game (and some still don't), but it's generally appreciated nowadays.

VF3 used to be more disliked as well (I suppose it's still technically the black sheep of the series), but I think with the advent of Model 3 emulation it's steadily grown back a bit of a fanbase, and more fans in the process, as it's the last of the classic VF games.

>>3585270
This.
>>
>>3584689
Zelda 2 was reviled and mario 2 wasnt looked upon greatly by the people i knew growing up

My best guess is TMNT on the NES
Going back to it now its actually a great game
>>
>>3584689
I'm a relative old fart who was 24 when Spyro came out and I did think it looked like a crappy kid's game. However I didn't think it didn't belong on the system, and never heard that sentiment from anyone else. Sure it was a kid's game but it was hardly the only one, and Playstation wasn't really considered a "hardcore" system. "Hardcore" was someone who had a Saturn or Neo Geo CD. Not that hardcore players didn't also have Playstations. But also every beer chugging dude bro around also had one.

As for Spyro though, back then as now I think it's great there are games that appeal to different audiences. Whether it's kids playing Spyro (or Halo), frat dudes playing Madden, moms playing WoW, FGC guys playing Melty, or commuters and Flappy Bird. None of them games that I play, but I think it's all great because it all contributes to gaming.

What's popular in gaming changes over time as with anything, but I think all that really matters is there are games people enjoy. I certainly don't think my youth growing up playing Defender and Rogue makes me any better or more authentic of a gamer than someone who grew up playing Spyro or Minecraft.

Each generation is different in it's own interesting ways. Kids now can play Defender or Minecraft as they choose, and so can I. Right now I choose to play Budokan.
>>
File: earthbound gamefan3.jpg (578KB, 1597x2149px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound gamefan3.jpg
578KB, 1597x2149px
>>3585759
Hey look it's someone on /vr/ spouting nonsense and trying to pass it off like they know what they're talking about. I wish this wasn't a daily occurrence.
>>
File: earthgmreview.jpg (507KB, 1280x883px) Image search: [Google]
earthgmreview.jpg
507KB, 1280x883px
>>3587527
Even crappy magazines like EGM recommended it, even if they thought it was "hard". lol
>>
>>3587527
>I've never played a game that seemed more painful at first glance yet turned out to be published by a company willing to take me on a vacation with whores and an open bar
>Crops out the B- grade
>t. Nick "plz rock my tiny cock" Des Barres
>>
>>3584689
I'm taking it that your studies assumes that online discussion was representative of the majority in an age where the vast majority of gamers were children without regular internet access?
>>
>>3587530
This is far far from a glowing review it's quite negative really, just trying not to cost them those sweet Nintendo ad revenue.
>>
>>3587535
>t. Nick "plz rock my tiny cock" Des Barres

Fun facts: Nick auditioned for the role of teen Anakin in the Star Wars prequels.

He is now a furry.
>>
>>3587549
I feel a shoop coming on
>>
>>3584881
I STILL HATE POKOMAN
>>
>>3587539
>far far from a glowing review
Image boards are for people who can read, you dunce.
>>
>>3587530
>You will laugh out loud!
>>
>>3587527
>>3587530
B-b-b-but Scary Larry said it was bad! Gamepro is always right!
>>
It's hard to remember but Mario Bros was once obscure. Most people thought it went from Donkey Kong -> Super Mario Bros. The original arcade Mario Bros was largely forgotten. Nintendo has pushed it so much within the last 20 years though. It's included in many games like Warioware, Super Mario 3D World, the GBA Mario games, and Super Mario 3.
>>
Harvest Moon 1 was pretty damn obscure until the VC release. It cost $70+ and was a late SNES game.

I don't know if this was accurate in general or whether the guy just had bad taste, but Harvest Moon 64 might have been poorly received with HM fans for a while. Or at least it wasn't seen as good as BTN. I know an old HM site I used to like - HM Farm? - reviewed it and said BTN was superior. Nowadays 64 is often described as the best HM and many fans, especially on Fogu, prefer it over Back to Nature.

>>3587538

Gaming magazines and old forum posts. And, the OP mentons that the opinion was held by adult fans. Kids liked the games, obviously. It's no different from 'hardcore' gamers bashing Skylanders or Minecraft nowadays while kiddies love them.

>>3586301

The PS1 did have a lean towards older teens and adults however that was balanced out by a lot of kid friendly games. Crash and Spyro were created to make the console appeal more to younger audiences, and it worked. In contrast, Sony nowadays pretty much only markets at older fans. They don't have much for kids besides third party multiplat games like Skylanders and the LEGO games.
>>
>>3588313
It was enormously popular in the early 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeka94-It9s
>>
>>3588320
>They don't have much for kids besides third party multiplat games like Skylanders and the LEGO games.

The difference is now there's enough third party stuff to bring kids in that sony doesn't need to make it themselves.
>>
>>3584689
I was a teenager when Pokemon was released so I never liked that game and even less when they started mass producing merchadise for it
>>
>>3585261
I think it's because they were kiddy, but gameplay wise if you like platformers they're pretty solid.
>>
maybe it was just me and my friends but the gb megamen were just "meh" versions of the nes stuff. now those things are rare as hell and everyone likes the music because the GB has a really distinct bassy sound.
>>
>>3588321

That was before Super Mario Bros became what it is today.
>>
>>3585750
>Wahhhh! He insulted my hipster god. Wahhhh!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.