[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the 2600 get so much hate lately? It's an iconic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

Why does the 2600 get so much hate lately? It's an iconic game system yet gets so much crap nowadays, especially on /vr/. I don't think the "The people who hate it were too young for it" excuse works because I'm 20 and have liked it for nearly ten years now. I know it isn't arcade accurate but it's fun and cheap for what it is.

Also, general 2600 thread if you want.
>>
File: ArtofAtariCover.jpg (469KB, 792x905px) Image search: [Google]
ArtofAtariCover.jpg
469KB, 792x905px
Anyone else is going to pick this up?
>>
just /v/ shitposting
>>
Havent' seen much hate for it. Never owned one personally but I think the controller looks super comfy and the arcade ports on it look sweet. What would you say is a decent price for a console +controller +cables?
>>
File: Panther.jpg (249KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Panther.jpg
249KB, 1920x1080px
Atari is largely forgotten.
Wasting away in a landfill.
>>
>>3584621

Atari is the most memorable early game name for many people. Everyone knows of Atari. Maybe if you're 5 you don't know of them, but all English speaking gamers do.
>>
>>3584626
Yeah, as a distant memory, rarely discussed and only recognizes as a Flashback console now.
>>
>>3584594
chuck e cheese will always be Bushnell's greatest achievement.
>>
>>3584630

The same could be said for most retro games.
>>
Too primitive to create memorable worlds or characters. NES had 8 bit sprite and pixel characters with 3-4 colors and definable sound effects and music with multiple instrument tracks, but when you're dealing with literal squares and rectangles along single beeps and one track musical jingles its hard to really build good memories around it.
>>
>>3584641
Nah. Just Atari.
>>
It gets the same hate for being shitty and simplistic that nes/gameboy will get in a few years.
>>
>>3584594
>Why does the 2600 get so much hate lately?

Never seen anybody hating it, everybody is just indifferent to it

Also who the hell would hate classic Atari?

It would be as pointless as hating your granpa's phonograph because you like LPs more
>>
File: Frn9PKpAGG-2.png (32KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Frn9PKpAGG-2.png
32KB, 300x250px
>>3584594

>ATARI Pac-man** is slated for the same next year
>>
>>3584649
Sega and NEC are gradually heading the same way. How many people nowadays remember Sega's other games and only remember them as the "guys that did Sanic"?
>>
>>3584680
Yeah, but Atari made it there first.
>>
>>3584594
So many reasons but the root cause is the in/v/asion of /v/abies. Large pixels with sharp edges hurt the eyes of most younglings. The physical games are complete shit. They come in small boxes with no large glossy fold outs or trinkets. The gameplay is complete shit. There's no cut scenes and often not even a title screen. WTF! Atari is single handedly responsible for them being underage by causing the video game crash which which stalled video game development which caused CoD to be delayed which caused them to remain in the hall of souls until the earth was populated with enough shitty FPSs to sustain their existence here.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>3584646
>literal squares and rectangles
Oh come on now.

Pic related, a 2600 game.
>>
File: solaris_030_targeters.gif (2MB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
solaris_030_targeters.gif
2MB, 500x365px
>>3585997
Your counter argument would be more compelling with animation.
>>
File: pok mon.png (3KB, 640x404px) Image search: [Google]
pok mon.png
3KB, 640x404px
>>3586245
>>3585997
The typical 2600 title looks more like this than that
>>
>>3584597

>This looks cool.

The Ready Player One retard is involved.

>Ah fuck it.
>>
>>3585997
>>3586245
Cherry-picking. The majority of 2600 games looked like shit and you know it.
>>
>>3586249
No it doesn't. Maybe the only one you've ever seen looks like that.
>>
>>3585997
>>3586245
What game is this?
>>
File: 1314689499674.jpg (8KB, 300x268px) Image search: [Google]
1314689499674.jpg
8KB, 300x268px
>>3586430
>The majority of 2600 games looked like shit
>The majority
>>
All the better for Atari collectors. As those who grew up with Atari get too old to care about collecting and Youtube aspies shit on it, Atari games stagnate in price. Boxed games are dirt cheap.

The 2600 is a fascinating piece of history, and the most important console of all time for being the successful prototype of all which followed. Games were written so close to the hardware that the CRT beam needed to be accounted for, hence "Racing the Beam".
>>
>>3586605
Are you still denying this? Let's look at the stack of games from OP:
>Combat
Great game, but 10-pixel vehicles on a solid-color screen? Wow!!!!

>Air-Sea battle
Same thing, except now the background is strips of blue. Incredible

>Video Checkers
I'll ignore board games for obvious reasons

>Maze Craze
A total of three colors, even the back of cereal boxes have better "graphics"

I could go on, but let's not forget Adventure you're literally a fucking yellow square lmao
>>
>>3586574
Solaris.
>>
>>3586739
Those games are from like 1977, 1978 and context is important. 2600 was designed to play pong games in the 70s, and the fact that games like these happened quite a few times is cool indeed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIMaJnzPzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn8Nn69dkcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yr-T6nRZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A6naeMFmyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yr-T6nRZE
>>
I first played the 2600 as a kid in 97-89(I'm from eastern europe) and I loved it. Didn't even know it used carts/gamepaks or that the games had any official titles as the one I played had all the games per-programed inside the console(it still had the cart port though)and switched with one of the levers on it. Only years later I learned the names of the games I played on the internet while reading about the system. Frogger/Pitfall/Berzerk were my favorites as a kid.
>>
2600 homebrew programmers do some amazing things with the ancient hardware like this piece of music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwp0ofhBT4
>>
>>3585997
Your pic related also happens to be notoriously good looking for a 2600 game and is routinely the one brought out in arguments like this. I love the 2600 (Dragonfire and Kaboom are particular favorites) but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that most games weren't really abstract.
>>
>>3586717
Precisely why I love the SMS hate.
>>
File: Untitled.png (210KB, 907x1161px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
210KB, 907x1161px
For some reason, the console holds no relevance to modern players. Maybe Atari players moved on from vidya after the crash while NES kiddies stuck with the hobby. Maybe it's because you need manuals to understand many Atari games, and a ROM collection isn't going to come with them. Maybe it's because its franchises (outside of Pitfall) died with the system and they haven't been milked for all they're worth like Nintendo's. Maybe paying $10 for a 5 minute game with no goal other than to run up the score is too much to ask. Maybe the games just suck and always have sucked, and there's no reason to play ugly arcade ports when you can play the real deal.

At least it's kept the games cheap.
>>
>>3586249
>>3586245
>>3585997

It came down to storage space. 4KB vs 8KB is the difference between the Parker Bros and Starpath versions of Frogger, or the Pac-Man and Ms. Pac Man ports.

Simple games like Combat used 2KB. The vast majority used 4. Later games, including many Activision titles used 8. Solaris used 16.
>>
>>3586717

I am also glad the 2600 nostalgia bubble broke. You can buy dozens of games for under $8USD each. It's by far cheaper than buying even Famicom games.
>>
File: 1439487105881.jpg (243KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1439487105881.jpg
243KB, 1280x853px
>>3584594
Is this going to contain the actual artwork or will this be glorified Hi-res scans of the original retail boxes?

>>3586379
>The Ready Player One retard is involved.
Who?
>>
File: 1427318286806.jpg (778KB, 1252x1666px) Image search: [Google]
1427318286806.jpg
778KB, 1252x1666px
>>3588104
Ernest Cline, creator of this literary masterpiece - currently being adapted by Steven Spielberg http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/
>>
File: cranky.jpg (68KB, 232x288px) Image search: [Google]
cranky.jpg
68KB, 232x288px
>>3588209
>Star Blazers
>Speed Racer
>>
>>3588209
I have a friend who keeps telling me to read this book. I really don't want to.
>>
File: dips breadora.jpg (546KB, 1219x813px) Image search: [Google]
dips breadora.jpg
546KB, 1219x813px
>>3589929
Consider a murder-suicide
>>
>>3588209
>currently being adapted by Steven Spielberg
He might as well be adapting trashy nostalgia pandering, seeing how his last few movies bombed.
>>
>>3589929
>I really don't want to.
Trust me it is complete and utter trash
this is not just people being contrarian edgelords
it's just so fucking bad in every way
literally every single way this could be trash, it is. It's a how-to guide on how not to write a novel
it's fucking bad
>>
>>3589992

>He needs his face stomped in. Fucking A.
>>
>>3586913
You can find Atari 2600 manuals on Atariage or here:

http://www.digitpress.com/library/manuals/atari2600/
>>
>>3588209
>>3589992
Am I supposed to be repulsed by this? I'm a little confused.

The first one just reminds me of my own plan I had at one point to make myself interesting by consuming lots of media so I'd have some common ground with people, while the latter tips overboard on the anti-god element Fedora territory I'm still kind of drawn to it for the pessimism about the world. (As I too was told nothing but lies in childhood, albeit unintentionally.)

yes, i have autism, but usually i'm able to pick up on whether something i'm drawn to is autistic in the negative sense by more than just context. in this case i'm just inferring from the posts surrounding it.
>>
>>3584594
Easy, it's because to hipsters it isn't the "almighty snes". And since there's no earthbound or evo they have no bragging rights or incentive to go find and post their pickups. So when they get a game, even if they score a deal, they can't post that shit on their instagrams or Facebook groups because who is going to give a shit about some kid who got a 5$ copy of yars revenge for $3.50.
U don't see game grumps doing videos on Atari games.
The Atari is good console and has many great games, but the bad games for it are really bad. Like mini golf for example. Shits barely even a game.
So take that and compare it to somethkng like Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde for nes where it's also a bad game but is like 3x the price because even bad games on the nes and above are playable and they can watch their e celebrities play and bash them online.
>>
>>3590951
>The Atari is good console and has many great games, but the bad games for it are really bad. Like mini golf for example. Shits barely even a game.

That's a big part of it. So much of the VCS library is "I hope you have context, because otherwise no one knows what the fuck is going on."
>>
List your top 5 favorite 2600 games if you're not a pleb.

>Spider Fighter
>Warlords
>Adventure
>Crackpots
>Demon Attack
>>
>>3584680
I think it depends where you're from, in europe Sega was huge.
>>
>>3590982
in order
>Moon Patrol
>Adventure
>Pitfall
>SwordQuest: EarthWorld
>Space Invaders
>>
>>3590951
>>3590967

I really like the fake ads for atari/2nd gen they did in Vice City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w9oK3ln8Es
>>
>>3590982
>>3592326
Spider fighter is awesome. Moon patrol would be in my top 5 if the Atari 8 bit version wasn't so much better.

>cosmic commuter
>worm war 1
>montezuma's revenge
>vanguard
>turmoil

Honorable mentions to laser gates and river raid
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.