[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll just be blunt about it. I have at least a few thousand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: 1308079089001.png (218KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001.png
218KB, 600x579px
I'll just be blunt about it. I have at least a few thousand dollars worth of old games I've been accumulating since the early-mid 2000s. But I don't have anywhere near a "complete collection" for any console, I'm missing lots of classics (especially pricey obscure ones), and with the huge retro price inflation it makes a lot of sense to just sell my collection off, make a profit and switch to flashcarts (after all, there's no point in having a collection if you're just going to use a flashcart).

But I can't.

These games have a special meaning to me. I've had some of them for most of my life and they're always fun to turn on and let the memories flow back. Remembering where I bought them, when I first beat them, all that stuff. I can't bring myself to just get rid of them.

Besides, what if this isn't a bubble? What if these carts get even more valuable? It might be stupid in the long run to get rid of them now.

What do I do? This collection is a blessing and a curse.
>>
>>3583371
>(after all, there's no point in having a collection if you're just going to use a flashcart).
That's where you're wrong
>>
>>3583374
Then why isn't it?
>>
>>3583390
>These games have a special meaning to me. I've had some of them for most of my life and they're always fun to turn on and let the memories flow back. Remembering where I bought them, when I first beat them, all that stuff. I can't bring myself to just get rid of them.

So, you keep them for memories/nostalgia. You just said it yourself. So keep them. No one forces you to play either carts or ROMs; there's no "law" that forces you to choose just one.

There's nothing wrong with having both a flashcart and a physical collection. As an example, I did this with Nintendo DS and knew a ton of people who did the same.

Yeah, you'll probably think that having your old games will be excessive, a dead weight. But, you know, you said it yourself—you keep them for memory, not just to play them.
>>
>>3583371
>accumulating since the early-mid 2000s.
>had some of them for most of my life
>underage frogfag
>>
Buy a flashcart.

Carefully package up your "collection" and put it in a box in the closet. Forget about it then give it to your nephew in 15 years
>>
>>3583371
>Besides, what if this isn't a bubble? What if these carts get even more valuable? It might be stupid in the long run to get rid of them now.

It's maybe an unusual spike, but it's not a bubble. These will all be worth more in 20 more years than they are now, no question. If you get enjoyment from them and don't need to sell, then don't.

I sold all my stuff and am far happier for it, but you're not me. I say follow your heart and keep your games. You can always sell it later, you can't always get it back.
>>
>>3583628
And then regret it 5 years after that.
>>
>>3583673
This. I'm pretty old and have been a nerd collector type since "before it was popular" and I hesitate to even guess how much my collection is worth, but I think of it as savings that the government need not know about. I finally got married to a much younger girl a few years back and haven't even dipped into the video games, only the Magic cards as I have less confidence in their growth since the publishers have been known to reprint and unlike comics, official reprints completely devalue M:TG cards. I sold one card to pay for my honeymoon and three to buy a fun speculative investment car to keep in the garage and play around with on weekends. I would probably be converting more cards to 80s cars but I'm afraid the government would notice. I do kind of fear a house fire though or theft. If I was just a bit more motivated I'd probably take more pics to show Anons online then I'd have better records for in case of a future claim but that's life.
>>
>>3583710
And here I traded my magic deck for a copy of Super Empire because the dude couldn't make it past Dagobah.
>>
File: pow.jpg (82KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
pow.jpg
82KB, 960x540px
>>3583719
Yeah, well...
>>
>>3583730
There ya go, I was never a serious player, I only started playing because the owner of a local hobby shop gave me a couple decks with the instruction "get hooked". I think the best card I had was the red hydra thing.
>>
I'm still waiting for someone to make a collection cataloging site such as backloggery and combine it with the market data of pricecharting so that you can get an idea of what your whole collection is worth.
>>
File: Capri Gas.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Capri Gas.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>3583754
Yeah, I put maybe $500-$800 into it around '94-'98 and whenever I feel dumb for not investing in gold I run the numbers and realize it actually appreciated more plus was a lot more fun but like I said, Wizards could do some stupid shit any time and devalue it completely. Now that I'm a husband and dad I spend a million percent more time driving than playing Magic so I'd really like to have a decent Fiero and Chrysler TC parked beside my fox body but even if I had the garage space I'd still be worried about them being official assets. Maybe I'll turn 'em into guns since it looks like Hillary's gonna win.
>>
>>3583765
Yeah, where as video games will probably remain collector's items Magic is a little more uncertain. If I lived in your country I'd probably want to buy guns as well. No matter who wins you guys are close to imploding.
>>
>>3583774
Nah, that's a media exaggeration. There's only a very few metro areas where there's been unrest and none of them are anywhere near the heartland where I live, plus I live in a small city that only has occasional very minor overflow crime from the major metros pretty much all of which is nigger-on-nigger and very much restricted to certain neighborhoods. I mainly just see it as a fun investment since automatic rifles are still quite available in my area and Hillary will definitely sleaze her way to continuing to push their prices up.
>>
File: 1464192325032.gif (4MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1464192325032.gif
4MB, 320x320px
>>3583784
Well from an outsider's perspective it's been one of the most horrific political campaigns I've ever seen. That your country came up with those two out of as their as the front runners for leader makes me seriously question the whole process.

But then I'm Canadian so you'd probably think I'm a namby pamby beaver eater anyways. The amount of underlaying racism in your post alone has given me the willies. I don't like visiting your country any more than you'd probably like coming to mine.
>>
>>3583792
Different anon then the one you've been talking to, but the WikiLeaks emails proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the democrats definitely rigged their primary for Hilary, and Trump got the republican nomination because we got sick of establishment republicans who'd get elected and then do piss-all to fight the democrats.
>>
>>3583801
Yeah, it's a pretty terrible state of political affairs. It's always a nasty process full of chicanery, but this is even more nuts.
>>
>>3583792
>>3583814
America Jr is eh cool guy and everything but down here we have great power and you know what Stan Lee taught us about that. The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time etc etc. Hopefully it'll get better before it gets way worse. Happily it can get way better in a big hurry while it actually takes a long time for things to get really bad.
>>
>>3583841
Here's hoping!
>>
>>3583792

"Outsiders" and their opinions have proven to be equally worthless in the last 8 years. You loved it up there on your high horse insulting the Bush administration and America hiding safely behind majority international opinion. Obama gets in, drone hell fire rains from the skies, more middle eastern regimes are toppled by the West, refugees flood the world, and what do we hear from your cold little irrelevant corner of the world?

trump is racis

Fuck you.
>>
>>3583371

The idea of a "complete collection" always seemed pointless to me. I only collect games that I actually enjoy playing, that helps free up shelf space.
>>
>>3583857
I agree. I love to collect consoles then compile cross-platform collections that fit my genres. If I die and my kid analyzes my library I'd like for it to say something about my tastes rather than about my autism.
>>
>>3583853
Yeah, your whole political system is was already a terrible mess. Now it's off the charts. And yes Trump is racist. He's also the possibly worst candidate for a major world leader in the last century. Anyone who supports him is politically retarded. I do not use that word lightly.
>>
>>3583914
>politically retarded
Don't forget deplorable. Anybody who doesn't drive their daughter to the middle of the inner city to be fucked by niggers and their son to the most progressive college they can find to be fucked by fags or big fat cunts with pink hair while filling the jews' pockets for the privilege is beyond redemption so we might as well just put the devil himself in office.
>>
>>3583934
actually, saying they're politically retarded is just true

I don't really think Trump is racist either and it wouldn't stop me from voting for him if I did, I just have zero faith in his competence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9H5SOl86Ac
>>
>>3583934
Why are American's so obsessed with who's fucking who?
>>
>>3583951
because we're humans?
>>
I couldn't handle the pain of knowing that I'm not cashing in such a big fucking amount of cash
>>
>>3583958
There are billions of people in other countries who also think love and sex are important but aren't nearly as obsessed with what other people are doing with each other in their own bedrooms.
>>
>>3583371
sell them, thats what I did.

bought a new car with the money, I dont regret it one bit.
>>
File: CPXUaRYWwAASAWs[1].jpg (11KB, 250x255px) Image search: [Google]
CPXUaRYWwAASAWs[1].jpg
11KB, 250x255px
>>3583975
If it stayed in private and had several layers of privacy then it wouldn't have needed to be an issue but now it is and we've had about enough of it.
>>
>>3583983
You bought a brand new car and you don't regret it?
>>
>>3583987
Lol you're not even joking are you?
>>
>>3583990
I ment "new" in the sense of replacing my old one.
Car was 3yo obivously.
>>
>>3584002
It'll still depreciate dramatically vs the games but at least it's not a matter of liquidating $40k in games that in 5 years will have been worth $50k on a car that'll be worth $8k

>>3584000
I guess you'll find out soon enough.
>>
>>3584013
>I guess you'll find out soon enough.
Ohh no! Veiled threats! Are you going to cry about bathrooms next?
>>
>>3583765

Nice Capri man, I always thought they had a much nicer front end than the Mustang.
>>
>>3584013
well the thing is, I need a car on a daily basis so I actually use it.
old retro games on the other hand... I even used flashcards just to not touch the originals or look for them so it was basically free money which I needed for a new car anyway.
>>
>>3584025
Yeah, if you needed it and it was necessary for you to continue your lifestyle then you can't really assign dollars and cents to it. Obviously my honeymoon was a huge waste of money on paper but my Capri on the other hand is really mostly a toy and something I expect to appreciate decently in value like other 80s and 90s icons.

>>3584023
I had to be a nonconformist and not get a Mustang even though I'll probably be in the same boat with those boomers who have a Regal in their garage instead of a Cutlass but it's not so played out. I had a 4 eyed turbododge when I was a kid so there's that personal nostalgia plus I sense a shift away from "angry faced" clips toward "hollow faced" like the classic Charger
>>
>>3583792
Canadian here, shut up. Do you even remember last election and the whole "anyone but Harper" movement? I don't even know anyone who liked Trudeau, a lot of people voted for him just so we wouldn't have to deal with Harper another four years. We have no right to criticize America's shitty political climate when we're just as bad.
>>
>>3584123
Getting Harper out of office was very necessary and it was nothing at all like the complete clusterfuck this American election has been. I don't like Harper and a lot of what he did to the country, but I'd vote for him a thousand times before thinking about casting a ballot for someone like Trump. That man is an embarrassment to the entire political process.

What weirdo hole are you living in that you don't know anyone who likes Trudeau? He's one of the most popular leaders we've ever had. I barely know anyone who didn't support and vote for him.
>>
>>3583371
I've owned some of my games now for 30 years, being 36 and getting my first NES for Christmas 85. It would feel weird selling them. That said, I don't actually buy anything retro unless its a good price. I can't justify the price in my head when I remember buying games at Funcoland for $2
>>
I kept all of my valuable games I bought as a kid (CT,EB,SMRPG,KSS etc.) and bought a flashcart last year. Just buy a flashcart if you want to, or don't.
>>
>>3584206
Don't worry about America or Mr. Trump, kiddo.
>>
Why do political fucks have to force their nonsense into everything?

Get off of /vr/ if you want to talk politics.
>>
>>3584206
Nothing about Trump's policies, just pear clutching and "wow just wow"

Oh and come out west, everyone hates Weedman here
>>
>>3583710
>the government is watching how many old cars I buy.
Sure they are sport.

>>3583975
No there aren't. You're a fool who knows nothing about anything outside your safe space.
>>
>>3585117
You do understand vehicles require titling and registration right?
>>
>>3583371
This isn't just a bubble, but, only specific, obscure and rare/high demand games will continue to increase in value. Eventually, there is a point where collectors will not be buying particular games anymore and they'll drop big time. Games that were produced en masse will drop in price over the years, especially as the age category that grew up with them gets real jobs, with real lives, and real homes, and they can't just collect this shit.

This big boom is the result of Youtube and 15-30 somethings buying up all these games without hitting any real, huge financial burdens yet.
>>
>>3585123
>Because that's exactly what happened to golden and silver age comics
>>
>>3585151
Yep. All except the more rare or obscure ones.
>>
>>3585152
Wrong. Golden age comics in particular are considerably more expensive across the board than they were when they really dramatically rose in value during the 90s, from $1 Roy Rogers comics that are worth $4 now all the way on up.
>>
>>3583903
>I'd like for it to say something about my tastes rather than about my autism.
I like this line anon
>>
>>3583371
You can donate them to a museum, keep the ones you want, and remember they are preserved forever a the museum!
>>
>>3583618
lol exactly what I thought.
>>
>>3585123
I have a career, a house, a wife and a kid.
I have games I haven't played in a year because I hardly have time but I have plenty of space and no financial troubles so there is no reason to sell any of it. I don't think age has anything to do with it but prices may fall when the next trend pops up.
>>
I'm in the same boat. I've sold off all my useless stuff but I can't let go of my VG collection.
Just too many good memories and they are still fun to play. I guess its OK, but I hate hauling around 4 huge boxes in my nomadic life style.
>>
Just sell them. Keeping a collection of anything is one of the shittiest habits you can have. Getting emotionally attached to anything physical just means you fucked up as a human being. They literally hold you back. You're a prisoner of your own possessions.
>>
File: tin-foil-hat.jpg (18KB, 348x406px) Image search: [Google]
tin-foil-hat.jpg
18KB, 348x406px
>>3585118
When someone starts a sentence with "you do understand" it's a good indication that they don't. Show me once instance the government noticed someone just for buying a few old cars and I'll admit you aren't totally full of shit and bat shit crazy.
>>
>>3585385
>When someone starts a sentence with "you do understand" it's a good indication that they don't
Arbitrary rule, dismissed.
>>
>>3585385
>Show me once instance the government noticed someone just for buying a few old cars

Not him but it really depends on the value of those cars because they will notice for tax purposes. If you're dealing in classics worth 20k+ apiece people take notice.
>>
>>3585398
Who are these "people" who will "notice"? An example would be excellent. Some kid on the internet speculating isn't an example.
>>
>>3585284
hold you back from what?
>>
>>3585552
>>3585385
https://www.google.com/search?q=collector+car+tax+evasion
>>
>>3585117
>You're a fool who knows nothing about anything outside your safe space.

Uhh huh... and then

>When someone starts a sentence with "you do understand" it's a good indication that they don't.

lol
>>
>>3585707
Nothing there about the government noticing anyone who was buying a bunch of old cars. You failed kiddo.
>>
>>3586486
There's four on the first page, Retard.
>>
>>3583371
Make a list of your collection. For each item, put down the price you think you could get for it today, and assign it a sentimentality rank. How much could you get if you sell everything but your most treasured pieces? What's the most minimal collection that you would be satisfied with? Is the money from the rest of the collection enough to fund a more active investment opportunity?
>>
>>3586505
No there aren't. There is absolutely nothing there about the government noticing anyone who was buying a bunch of old cars. Either you didn't read, didn't comprehend, or are just twisting reality to fit your narrative. Whatever the case you continue to fail.
>>
>>3586670
k
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.