[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHES 20 YOU GUYS, 20 lets talk Tomb Raider, what are your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: tomb_raider_1_box.jpg (80KB, 713x713px) Image search: [Google]
tomb_raider_1_box.jpg
80KB, 713x713px
SHES 20 YOU GUYS, 20
lets talk Tomb Raider, what are your best memories?
>>
>>3582124
The waterfall in the third level. Primitive, yes, but to me it was beautiful
>>
Is TR3 worth playing? I loved 1 but 2 was kind of meh because you were barely in tombs and you mostly fought shootbangs rather than animals and monsters.
>>
>>3582130
I know that feeling, I can't remember the level name but the water one where you empty out this big room of water and its got these high up bridges, i remember it looking really stunning but then when I went back to it, theres this crazy clipping distance so you can't even see the other side of the room.
I don't even remember it being like this!!!!
>>
TR1 was probably the first 3D game I saw in action. It was so jarring to go from 16x16 sprites to seeing a huge polygon character running in this wide open environment. They really don't design levels like what that game has anymore. They're truly three dimensional in that you have really keep your eyes out for paths. Still great to this day.
>>
>>3582134
3 has more tomb exploring
>>
>>3582124
That was the game that tipped the scales and made me get a Playstation. Never regretted it a moment.

At first it was strange just seeing the game, it was like I couldn't make sense of the polygons, but then I got used to it and was in love. Diving in the water that first time was incredible. That Trex was one of the most amazing moments I've had it a game because it was just so surprising.

Aside from Underworld, I think it's still the best game in the series.
>>
I've had these games for many, many years, although I played through the original last year. I liked it a fair bit but jeez, what a long-winded game. The levels either needed more variety or the game needed to be five levels shorter, in my opinion.

I also think that the complaints about the controls are extremely misguided. The controls work perfectly for what Tomb Raider is trying to do.
>>
>>3582124
Not sure if any of you guys are from the UK but you might enjoy these two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Kwgvsv4Co

You also might hate them, who knows?
>>
I remember I heard so much about that game but never played it but had always wanted to. I had N64 and never really fucked with a Playstation really.

I had the opportunity to play it (forgot which one) and immediately after like two minutes of gameplay with all these fucked up ass controls and shitty wobbly incoherent graphics thought play station users were fucking retards and I never ever want to fuck with a Playstation ever again for as long as I live.

Obviously my mentality has changed since then but yeah...
>>
Tomb Raider is a relic of its time, but it's definitely worth playing to be taken to a game where the lack of intuitive controls actually made for a more rewarding experience. You had to be absolutely precise with your every movement, which is something games just don't do nowadays. Some may hate that, but I think there's a craft and reward to it that is solely missing in this day and age. Modern Tomb Raiders are all about shooting guys in the face and the platforming is all automated and the tombs are optional, classic Tomb Raider felt like an evolution of the platformer.
>>
>>3582270
Actually there is no real need for precision, since level design is grid based. If you run on a square with a cliff and Lara steps on her left foot, she will ALWAYS jump right from the edge if you press jump at that moment - she will automatically take necessary step placing right foot right at the ledge before the jump.

Every jump is entirely predictable and calculateable.
>>
>>3582174

>23 views

Shill harder brah.
>>
>>3582270
Tomb Raider is more like a 3D Prince of Persia, except it simultaneously does free movement and grid based. When Lara jumps forward, she jumps forward exactly two squares.
>>
File: Tomb Raider Underworld1.jpg (186KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb Raider Underworld1.jpg
186KB, 1024x576px
>>3582276
>>3582285
>Tomb Raider is more like a 3D Prince of Persia

These guys get it. TR's control scheme is perfect for what it's trying to be in those games. And you don't need precision at all really, just knowing the architecture and what you can or can't do.

The Tomb Raider reboots are too much about action, but Underworld was glorious.
>>
Favourite moment will always be when you go in to that pool room you have to jump up on the second level, when the theme starts playing. It really puts across a sense of mystery and wonder. Pity this isn't what Tomb Raider catered more too.
>>
>>3582124
She was about 20 then, meaning she's at least 40 now. Oh my... MILF Lara Croft. I didn't realize I wanted this until exactly just now.
>>
File: tomb-raider-pc-1.jpg (158KB, 555x356px) Image search: [Google]
tomb-raider-pc-1.jpg
158KB, 555x356px
Bought a ps1 to play TR1 in 96 been a big fan ever since and have quite a few collectables, later played all TR games on PC and got all the games in the early rarer Trapezoid box, apart from The Angel of Darkness which was a buggy mess released too early I like all the games and even the newer games still have the essence of TR.
>>
>>3582139
3 literally has no tombs
4 is full of tombs
>>
Bug Tomb Raider fan, the original is still my favourite I would say but I like most of them bar the very latest.

I was in Derby at the weekend for the celebration they. Got to meet some of the developers from Core too. Heather who was a level designer on the first two games used to work and Rare and designed levels for Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country apparently.
>>
>>3582295
>Underworld
I honestly didn't enjoy it that much. Sure it's much better than Legend and Anniversary, but it's still plagued by the same problems from those games. Namely the linear levels, constricted controls, boring combat. Pretty game, especially for the time it came out and hottest Lara. Also it feels really short, like more than half the game was cut. Is this just me? And the story is poop, but TR has never been strong in story telling anyway.
>>
I've watched playthroughs of all the games this year, but haven't played any. Pre-legend games that is.

I always found them kinda hard, particularly the third.
>>
>>3582130
That fucking T-Rex prevented me from ever progressing further. It scared the fucking shit out of me.

The only time I beat the T-Rex as a kid, I ended up getting lost in a tunnel. I kept hearing footsteps as I walked around, and when I turned around a raptor was right in my face and screamed it's horrible roar. I nope'd the fuck out and shut off the console.

I only actually beat the game a few years ago because of this experience.
>>
>tfw it's not lara croft's womb raider

naked cheat pls

oh you mean the gameplay.
forgettable.
titties were this series' main selling point
>>
>>3582124

Holy shit fucking Tomb Raider, man.

The thing I love about playing the original game was the immense sense of isolation you got. It was just you, alone, in these incredibly detailed environments. There were brief bits of combat interspersed with these long and involved exploration or puzzle sections.

Modern day action games have you shooting enemies every ten feet while your support team talks to you through a headset every ten seconds, I wish more games would just do what Tomb Raider did and leave the player the fuck alone for a while.
>>
>>3583451
Why does /vr/ have so many revisionists?
>>
>>3583502

He wasn't around when the games were released.

He just saw the huge tits on the boxart and what looked like an old game with bad graphics and assumed no would want to buy it so the titties must have been the reason.
>>
Are the PC versions any good? Playable with a keyboard or are they better suited for a gamepad?
>>
>>3583525
They require some fiddling to get working properly at high resolution on a modern system and you have to use a gamepad to keyboard mapper if you're gonna use a pad at all but Keyboard is fine once you get use to it.
Overall they're pretty decent port, a bit easier on PC because unlimited and unrestricted saves and health crystals in TR3.
>>
>>3583502
>>3583505
To be fair, a LOT of the press was about Lara's looks and high-quality renders were plastered everywhere, so you might get that impression if you just flipped through some old magazines. But yeah, the games were reviewed primarily on how they played, and they got solid reviews.
>>
>>3582802
>the same problems from those games.
> linear levels,
>constricted controls
> boring combat.

I didn't find the levels that much more linear that the first game. In reality Tomb Raider is usually pretty linear, it just takes you a while to figure out where to go in what order.

The other two just sounds like typical Tomb Raider. Combat has never been it's focus and I thought the controls were a nice update of the original.
>>
>>3582137
there are some mods that improve some settings on the first titles to what current hardware can handle
>>
>>3583632
I think the auto lock-on combat that leads to just circle strafing to win was the problem with CD's first TR series in general. I think what I meant to say was that while levels in classic TR are linear they felt more open and had more wiggle room for exploration/multiple ways to the exit (and outright breaking the level by abusing the terrain/bugs) underworld LOOKED bigger but was probably in reality the same size in level scale.

The only memorable and fun levels I really got out of that game was the underwater cave and pacific ocean swimming segments. Those were very well done. Otherwise it was all forgetful Reusing the same boat with human bad guys map twice, in that short of a game? Really?

But honestly, if they had skipped legend and replaced it with Underworld, I would not be complaining at all.
>>
>>3583451
That's funny, I recall the camera spending most of the time pointing at Lara's arse.
>>
>>3584236
*forgot about the controls. Maybe it's just me, I never see people bring this up, but the controls do feel constricted. Like, the controls were made to suit the levels while it seemed like in TR classic, the controls came first levels later. That's why we have moon jumping Lara reaching places she's not supposed to. Again, this is probably just me. It could also be that I never got to really "play" with Lara's new moves either. I mean, no mansion playground to train in after all (shameful CD). Yeah I know it's the story plot and all, but there wasn't even like a virtual reality danger room type thing to dick around in.
>>
Currently stuck at he Sanctuary of Scion, I found both ankhs, put them on the sphinx and opened a door that takes me to a huge submerged room with two statues of Anubis and Horus.

There's a lever on the Anubis statue but it's not a lever you can activate underwater, two closed doors at the feet of each statue and a small ledge which is the only place where I can see a passage to a room but there's a slope to get into it so I can't.

Any clues?
>>
>>3582283
where?
>>
File: Tomb Raider (U) Back.jpg (1MB, 2061x2349px) Image search: [Google]
Tomb Raider (U) Back.jpg
1MB, 2061x2349px
>>3582124
Playing it on my SEGA Saturn way before it came out for the unwashed playstation mongos <3
>>
>>3584691
Between the Saturn's unorthodox hardware, and Core's inability to effectively program for it, the original game was hamstrung. When production focus switched to PSX starting with TR2, the level of technical quality leapt up.
Saturn held TR back from having the start it deserved.
>>
>>3582124
Trash games that controlled like shit and were boring as fuck. Relied on a meme cunt mascot for it's initial popularity. When that got old, the franchise shit the bed and became utterly irrelevant.
Sleep tight dead franchise.
>>
>>3582465
Lara was around 29-30 in TR 1, putting her at around 49-50 today (if we follow the first generation timeline). Not bad at all. Def cougar material for sure.

Too bad our progressive and tolerate society still practices ageism and you'll never see Cougar Croft on adventures ever again.
>>
>>3582134
it's all over the place:
indian jungle + temples + ruins
nevada desert with area 51
south pacific with native villages and ruins
london in the city, underground and a museum
and antarctica with a research base

also the hardest tomb raider by far
>>
>>3585739
>also the hardest tomb raider by far
Ain't that the truth.
Played TR3 on PC which has unlimited saving, can't even begin to imagine how hair-pullingly frustrating it must be on Playstation with those fucking save crystals.
>>
File: page 013_1280.jpg (285KB, 1280x773px) Image search: [Google]
page 013_1280.jpg
285KB, 1280x773px
20 years of tomb raider
some magazine just released

found some scans
>>
fuck 4chan
heres scans a found, including the 4 zoom on amazon

http://share.pho.to/AQwSs
>>
>>3586079
>N-Gage
A great example of shit that came out far too early. It would've exploded the mobile gaming industry ten years sooner if it was easier to use
>>
>>3585757
Tomb Raider is much better on a controller than a keyboard I find.
>>
>>3582276
I remember playing the PSX version of TR3, trying to do the cheat to skip levels and exploding instead. Good times.
I finished all the games back in 2014. Bought them all on Steam for less than a dollar. I've even played some of the expansions.

>>3582285
The first thing you say to anyone that plays TR the first time: "To jump over long gaps, walk up to the ledge, jump back once, run and jump". Perfect, every single time.
>>
>>3582432
For me, it's in the temple level, in TR1. Almost everyone I know tried to climb onto Midas' hand.
You get turned into a golden statue and die.
>>
None. Lara is one of the worst famous female character from a video game. Those games were also bad.
>>
>>3586107
Who do you consider a good female character then?
>>
>>3586097
The first thing I say to anyone that plays TR the first time is "Lara's Home is a freeform tutorial level. Use it."
>>
Tom Raider 1 was released for ios and android

apk and data file
http://www.mediafire.com/file/evrw3xwt772p5wr/jogos-para-android.com-Tomb-Raider-I-v1-0-20RC.apk
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z48g4dx1458upqg/01658-Tomb-Raider-I-v1-0-20RC-cache1.zip

i dont know if its secure to install random APKs + DATA folders from the internet on a cellphone with your personal data

>>3586093
with tank controls, i dont see how it could make a difference keyboard x gamepad
>>
To be honest, the very first Tomb Raider game I played was the first one, about a week ago, for the Saturn. I had found that Saturn was originally the lead platform and looked into getting a copy. I was pretty impressed with how smoothly it controlled compared to what I expected from an early 3D platformer. I especially appreciated the lack of warping textures from the PSX version. I only did the first mission but I enjoyed it. I definitely plan on going back soon
>>
Eurogamer just did a really good retrospective on the series.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.