[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where's a good place to start for dungeon crawlers? Eye

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

Where's a good place to start for dungeon crawlers?
Eye of the Beholder interests me and I like that it's based off of D&D.

What are your favorites?
>>
>>3580942
Might and Magic 6 is my favorite but it's a very different take on the genre. Eye of the Beholder 2 is good if you don't mind lots of teleporting and pressure plate puzzles. Are you looking for real-time ones like Dungeon Master or turn-based like Wizardry? If turn-based, check out Wizardry 6 or Might and Magic 3.
>>
File: 01.gif (23KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
01.gif
23KB, 640x400px
I would start with the original Dungeon Master. It's still perfectly playable.
>>
>>3580983
Wizardry is not a good start, especially not Wizardry 6.
>>
File: lands-of-lore-Mac02.gif (66KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
lands-of-lore-Mac02.gif
66KB, 640x400px
>>3580942
If you wanna ease into it I have two recommendations:

Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos if you want a real-time dungeon crawler; the RPG elements are very light but the game is well made and a lot of fun. Plus you'll get practice with a real-time blobber so you can handle EotB and Dungeon Master better.

Might and Magic 3/4/5: Turn based/party based, relatively easy, and addictive. Play these before you attempt Wizardry, or generally if you just want to explore a world map and crawl some damn dungeons. 4/5 are the best of the series (not including 6 and 7, which are kinda different as >>3580983 said)

After you beat those go play Dungeon Master forever
>>
>>3580942
Come on man, these games were hardly fun when they were newly released and the graphics and contents were considered decent
>>
>>3581385
Agreed man, these games were made for 8 year olds back when beating the ground with a stick was considered a good game

Oh and yes I'm actually replying to myself pretending to be someone else just to drive the point home
>>
dungeon crawlers are amazing, but i dont want to offend the VR fags and give suggestions about more current games (ahem, grimrock) Maybe you faggots should git gud both skill wise and get a taste for good games. in keeping with VR though, Ultima Underworld
>>
Might & Magic III Isles of Terra is probably the best 'babbies first dungeon crawler'
>>
File: zelda.2.jpg (670KB, 1024x642px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.2.jpg
670KB, 1024x642px
Thanks for all the recommendations.
I think I'll start with Lands of Lore.

>>3581385
If they were hardly fun people wouldn't play them. It's just not for you.
>>
>>3580942
Try the upgraded version of Eye of the Beholder for Amiga 1200, by CFOU. It includes automap, and the original Amiga music along with PC graphics, so it's probably the best version of the game there is.
>>
>>3580942
Ultima Underworld
>>
>>3581291
6 is probably the easiest in the series
>>
>>3582030
7 is a lot easier in the endgame. 5 has a gentle start.
Without a bard the start in 6 is gruesome and even with one it's still frustrating. You have very limited means to revive party members and no way to replace them so you constantly have to reload.
Mapping in 6 gets complicated by the lack of Dumapic.
>>
>>3581520
Might and Magic is just a GOAT series that holds up very well and is easy to get into even if you don't play any old RPGs.
>>
don't be a fool OP, Might and Magic 6 is the GOAT
>>
>>3582121
I'm not sure about 1 and 2. Those are significantly more challenging and might be too much for beginners.
1 is a good stepping stone between entry level stuff like MM3 onward and expert level scenarios like Wizardry.
>>
>>3582146
The maps in M&M1 are only 16x16 so it's still easier than wizardry.
>>
File: 1433459209242.png (755KB, 1173x895px) Image search: [Google]
1433459209242.png
755KB, 1173x895px
>>3581385
>>3581387
>>
Is Shin Megami Tensei for SNES a decent dungeon crawling experience?
I know it probably doesn't match the depth of crpgs but I like the other gameplay aspects too
>>
>>3583235
Yes, but the automap rotates. It ROTATES. Worse than having no automap.
>>
>>3583396
How about not using the automap?
>>
>>3580942
planechase torment is the best, if you like good stories.

Its a Dungeons and dragons world.
>>
>>3583235
It depends a bit on exactly what you're looking for. The dungeons and combat aren't particularly remarkable, but the game makes up for it with the fusion mechanics, demon negotiation, and resource management. It also has a fairly decent plot and setting, particularly by dungeon crawler standards.

I enjoyed both of the SNES SMT games.
>>
>>3583404
I don't.
>>
>>3580942
MuDs from the early 90s are fun.
>>
File: 1462932746609.jpg (733KB, 1500x656px) Image search: [Google]
1462932746609.jpg
733KB, 1500x656px
Ultima Underworld is god tier
>>
>>3585926
If you're talking about complexity, Daggerfall's random dungeons are more complex but mostly empty and not fun.
>>
>>3586125
Daggerfall has nothing on UU.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.