[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are all of the advantages and reasons for getting an Everdrive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

File: EverDrive_64_Shell_Gray.png (596KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
EverDrive_64_Shell_Gray.png
596KB, 850x850px
What are all of the advantages and reasons for getting an Everdrive 64?

+ Free Games
+ Saves are backed up to SD Card
+ No need to swap cartridges
+ EntireN64 library and more on one SD Card
+ Built-in GameShark
+ Menu Backgrounds
+ USB port for game development
+ Can play ROM hacks, translations and things like Master Quest on N64

Anything else?
>>
>>3577319
Overwhelming smugness and feelings of superiority
>>
Well, N64 emulation is dicks so there's that.
Personally, I'm ok with not playing the more obscure N64 crap. Like, Goemon 2 might be good but I don't feel it's something I should seek extensively.
>>
Is there any disadvantages to the Everdrive over OG hardware?
>>
>>3577346
You mean regular official cartridges?

Not having a menu upon bootup means you can access the game faster. The sentimental value of holding and swapping the cartridges into your N64, and seeing their artwork.
>>
Come on, just buy advertising space like every other shill
>>
>>3577350
I plan to put a GoldenEye sticker label on my everdrive cartridge so it looks a bit more authentic; GoldenEye spent more time in my N64 than any other game
>>
>>3577378
How much do you think Krikzz is paying these guys? I get all my EDs from China.
>>
>>3577327
Ah the ambrosia of korean fingerbox collector forum regulars
>>
I have one, and enjoyed it for a short while. It's nice to play games on OG hardware but the games just do not stand up and warrant my time on them like modern games.
https://mega.nz/#F!dBcHTLJA!4E1fHpN1gZ9drbi5JEfUCw!QBdjzJha

For the best romset IMO
>>
>>3577327
/vr/ in a nutshell
>>
>>3577494
>You dont spend 11k on an old CRT to make the marios look better? Better gtfo, kiddo
>You emulate? Gtfo, kiddo
>Alttp? Gtfo, kiddo
>>
>>3577424
We get paid $3 a post.
>>
>>3577327
Emulation, in any form, is about as superior as eating dogshit when your neighbor is eating steak.
>>
>>3577579
It's not emulation, elitist.
>>
>>3577319
It lightens your wallet quite a bit.
>>
pls tell me where to buy cheap Chinese clones that aren't shit

I found a Chinese EDMD for like $50 but I can't find shit for N64 or NES
>>
>>3577319
You can add Nes emulator to the list.
>>
>>3577583
This exactly. There's a reason why it's so expensive. If it were just emulation why would anyone pay close to $200 for one.
>>
>>3577662
>Chinese clones
>not shit
Pick one
>>
>>3577319
Blowing $100+ to shitpost any thread that doesn't mention flashcarts at all in the opening post.
>>
>>3577670
There are rich idiots out there. Not calling you out, just saying even if it were emulation I wouldn't doubt someone would still be that stupid.
>>
>>3577327
Probably the most used feature

>>3577498
You missed the most important one
>youre a kiddo, gtfo
>>
>>3577662
It's the ED64 plus, if you can't find one they've probably all been removed since Aliexpress banned them for no good reason.

Don't forget to RGB mod your 64 for better visuals, the chip costs 15 bucks or so and requires some easy soldering.
>>
>>3577796
what about the hdmi mod? wouldn't that be better?
>>
>>3577834
The N64 is literally unbearable past 240p, why on earth would you HDMI mod it?
>>
>>3577672
the chinese clones are exactly the same.
>>
>>3577880
HDMI mod pulls the digital picture straight from the GPU, no DACs involved.

Also the HDMI mod can reverse the N64's CRT flicker filter which makes the image sharper.
>>
>>3577896
What you don't seem to get is that the N64 wasn't meant to have a sharp image. The blurring exists to mask draw-distance issues and hide low poly model and their harsh edges, a job it does superbly well on CRTs.

When you take the direct image out, you're missing all of the features they designed the 3D output around.

It's the worst possible choice of console to mod in such a way.
>>
>>3577920

Plus it doesn't even look as good as emulation because it's still rendering at the N64's minuscule resolution. It's a terrible idea all round.
>>
>>3577796
Link to rgb mod chip?
>>
>>3577329
>>3577579
are these people real?
since when is using flashcards the same as using an emulator?

is this like a next level troll/meme thingy? idgi
>>
>>3577754
Spending 200 doesn't make me rich but to me it makes more sense to spend more and have all the original games played on my 64 then spend around 80-100 and have a fraction of the games to play on my 64.

And fuck emulation

But I agree people will always buy dumb shit
>>
>>3577885
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>3577796
>>3577662
There are a few stores that still them on Ali but they are hard to find, titled "32 Bit Cartridge" with an image with just text or something. They have gone up in price since Ali started banning them so it's better to just buy the on eBay or Amazon.

https:/amazon.com/Nintendo-Saves-Adapter-playing-System-G-Dreamer/dp/B01J4JYCX8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477242838&sr=8-3&keywords=everdrive+64

This one apparently ships from the USA but doesn't come with a memory card. The same seller has them for like $65 on eBay but this was cheaper for me with my 5% off Amazon card.
I don't think it comes with an SD card with games, but you probably have one lying around or you can pickup a cheap chinese one for a few bucks.

Here's a Mega archive with Everdrive packs
https://mega.nz/#F!dBcHTLJA!4E1fHpN1gZ9drbi5JEfUCw!QBdjzJha
>>
>>3578251
They are. Not only that, they're arguably of better quality due to being mass manufactured in the thousands with actual leaded solder instead of put together a few at a time in a Ukranian garage.
>>
>>3578323
Any issues from buying this vs the official everdrive?
I'm mostly happy with my Chinese Everdrive for genesis, though it has a weird issue of not working on every genesis
>>
>>3578327
No they're not. The Chinese knockoff Everdrives have been reported to use cheaper components.

Coupled with mass-assembly and Chinese Q&A, you have you a lower quality product overall.
>>
>>3578343
I'm still waiting for mine and I don't have an official Everdrive. It has the exact same software running on it. I think the only functional difference is that they have worse QA so you're more likely to get a dud and maybe they don't last as long (haven't heard any issues with these though). Even still, you can buy three of these carts for the price of an ED64.

So, the Official ED64 gets you better quality manufacturing and doesn't have the ethical qualm of purchasing stolen code. Otherwise it's the same thing.
>>
>>3578412
Pretty much all the clones, the N64 one included, are just an earlier revision board. This means that you might lose compatibility with one or two very obscure titles due to the lower FW, and you don't get battery saving.

Literally all it means is you have to hit reset instead of turning it off if you want to save. And you don't have to deal with a battery eventually dying on you.
>>
>>3578412
It's not stolen though.
>>
>>3578370
>cheaper components
I hate to break it to you, but 2 cents per resistor instead of 4 really doesn't make a lot of difference. It's a resistor, dude, unless you plug it into the toaster it's not going to explode.

>mass-assembly
By robots with a hundred times the precision of some fucker working in his garage.
>Chinese Q&A
I've bought 6 chink carts for different consoles, and haven't had a single issue.

Honestly, it's absurd. The chinks have been making cheap electronics for decades, as long as you aren't buying anything that plugs directly into the mains you have nothing to worry about. It just comes across as mindless shilling for a product because you're salty everyone else got the same thing for a third of the price.
>>
>>3578441
I was under the impression these carts were running the same software as the EverDrive's. Did they make their own?

>>3578323
Found some of the Ali stores I was talking about here:

They have SNES, GB, SD2SNES, NES, and Mega Everdrives. The N64 one's are still cheaper on eBay/Amazon though.

If you click on the store links (Top Left) you should see pics of the actual carts, not just the "16 bit card w/ SD"

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RETROAD-Custom-Games-for-8bit-16bit-32bit-64bit/32741566757.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-Game-for-8bits-16bits-32bits-64bits/32732565478.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-Game-for-8bits-16bits-32bits-64bits/32720725025.html
>>
>>3577319
you aren't wrong, but let me expand on some of your "advantages" here
>only two romhacks work, three if you count oot master quest, mostly since hacks are designed for bad emulators
>gameshark code support is very limited, you can't use any ASM codes like save states, and the hard limit for simultaneous codes is low, like 20 lines, the rest just get truncated
>you can't use an actual gameshark at all with ed64

also, ed64 v2.5 is better value, but has some caveats compared to v3.0
>no battery, you have to remember to hit RESET to save the game to SD after sram has been saved. losing power or crashing means you go back to the save you loaded when you turned the system on regardless of how often you save
>no support for animal forest (rtc) or pokemon stadium (graphical errors)
>>
>>3578553
They use the ED software (Krikzz lincensed some of it), but they typically brick if you update the firmware. Krikzz seems to have given up on FW updates anyway. And for some anecdotal info, my chinese N8 shipped with the latest firmware which was a nice surprise.
>>
>>3578528
This guy gets it
>>
>This shitposting thread brought to you by Everdriveā„¢
>>
>>3578584
What are all the disadvantages of an Everdrive?

What are all the advantages and disadvantages of using real carts?
>>
>>3578640
for ed64, pretty much just what I and the OP have listed. for each console, each flash cart (not just everdrives) offers a different set of pros and cons, it's all pretty well documented. is there a specific console you're interested in?

for the most part, if you just want ""free"" games, this is all you have to deal with >>3577350
>>
>>3578668
N64

What I'm mostly concerned about is battery saves. How long do save files last on official N64 game cartridges? I understand some use different methods of saving, such as internal EEPROM, flash memory, battery-backed-up RAM for saved game storage and even external saving with the Controller Pak accessory.

Do save files get erased when you replace the battery? I'm mostly concerned about preservation of save files, so I don't lose my progress and effort.
>>
>>3577319
Will an everdrive play zipped games, or do they need to be unzipped first?

Just wanting to potentially save myself 5 seconds of hassle when mine finally gets here.
>>
>>3578681
In that case an everdrive may be your best bet. One you hit reset on v2.5, the ED OS reloads, sees some data in the sram, and backs it up to the SD card using the currently loaded rom's filename. If you add the same rom to SD multiple times with different filenames you can get unlimited saves if that's what you're into. Once you reset to save backup, you have the save file as long as the SD card lasts and can back them up onto your PC if you want. You need a byte swapper to load the saves on an emulator or vice versa, though, since n64 uses big endian (saturnu on ED forums made one just for this).

>How long do save files last on official N64 game cartridges?
it's anecdotal, but none of my 20-some N64 carts have died yet nor have I replaced any. haven't ever had an issue. SNES are starting to go, so maybe soon, or maybe the tech/batteries are just better.
>Do save files get erased when you replace the battery?
Yes, of course.
>>
>>3578723
you have to unzip them, but if you have a big folder of zip files you can easily automate that with anything like 7zip
>>
>>3577950
>Link to RGB mod chip

Direct from Tim: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209
>>
File: 1474003340189.jpg (110KB, 1000x847px) Image search: [Google]
1474003340189.jpg
110KB, 1000x847px
>>3578727
Thanks. Have a pepe for your troubles
>>
>>3578740
This is the retard version of the mod for people who are dumb enough to own PAL. The decent version is a couple of wires and a THS7314 amp.
>>
>>3577498
kek
>>
>>3578752
Not just PAL.
This one also works on the later model NTSC consoles that the small mod doesn't work on.

Also, as well as being a universal mod, firmware now exists to remove the blur. Just like on the HDMI mod.
>>
arent there some games everdrive cant run well?
>>
>>3579136
pokemon stadium and animal forest don't run properly on v2.5. These both work fine on 3.0.

this isn't sd2snes where some of the best games don't work at all.
>>
>>3577407
Why? Just buy Goldeneye
>>
>>3577346
certain games have issues running

it's almost impossible to find a patched DK64 rom that doesn't have that faggy 30 second long intro, at least last time I checked. I haven't updated my ED64 in a while.
>>
>>3579136
The only one that straight up doesn't work is that Mario Photoshop game, because that used a special cartridge with smartmedia memory cart slots in it, which obviously aren't present on the ED64.

Other than that, everything works. Certain games require patches, and Stadium 2 and Animal Forest need the RTC on the v3. It can even play 64DD games, albeit saving doesn't work right on most of them.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.