[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

‘Apple II had a line-up of great adventure games such as Ultima

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: horii2[1].jpg (40KB, 220x161px) Image search: [Google]
horii2[1].jpg
40KB, 220x161px
‘Apple II had a line-up of great adventure games such as Ultima or
Wizardry. Honestly, we adored them and they were our ultimate dream. But this
was not very strategic. We loved these games too much to think about the
consumers’ needs. Then we were stunned by DQ in 1986. Enix assembled the best
staff in the industry and made a maniac game like an RPG more accessible to general
consumers. We just couldn’t believe that they could do this, and we discovered the
actual essence of commercialization.’

Is he right? Are jRPGs just commercial RPGs ?
>>
Originally they were, but now (i.e. at 12/31/1999) they aren't.
>>
>>3573821
I find it strange that so many jap devs are macfags. shit even nintendo used the Apple IIGS cpu in the snes.
>>
>>3573828
But DQ VII is the easiest entry of the installment, which suits the definition of commerical.
>>
>>3573836
Genesis got Motorola processor
>>
>>3573840
early signs of them becoming fuck buddies with m$
>>
Ultima and Wizardry were commercial games. Wizardry was poorly handled and they kept reducing their costumers by requiring them to buy the previous games. Ultima generally tried to stay accessible and the staff became more professional over the years.
DQ1 was simpler than Wizardry or Ultima 3/4, overall more in the line of Ultima 1.

I'd have to see the original interview in Japanese to see what he meant with commercialization.
>>
>>3573836
Apple II are probably the most mainstream computer product of that era, until Steve Jew decided he wanted to sell more shit to businesses and "serious" people. After that Apple kinda died out as a mainstream brandname until Jebs came back to shill iPods.
>>
>>3573870
>Ultima generally tried to stay accessible and the staff became more professional over the years.
Not true. Origin saw itself as a pioneer of gaming and kept reinventing the wheel with each Ultima until they sold out to EA.After that it was all about UO.
>>
>>3573951
Only in America.
>>
>>3573962
>Amurika
That's Atari.
>>
>>3573982
No, Atari was also popular in Europe. Probably more so than in the US.
>>
JRPGs have better combat and controls than RPGs and are better games overall.
Dragon Quest compared to Ultima and Wizardry is the best example.
>>
>>3574001
Wizardry series has far better combat than DQ.
Ultima series has more controls (actions for your toon to take) than DQ.
You have never played either.
>>
Hijacking this thread and making it about retro game maker interviews. Post em up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT_HhHGZ7pI
>>
>>3574461
more actions means better controls? Nonsense. Talking to NPCs, buying at shops, especially using magic, all of these simple actions are incredible clunky in Ultima 4.
And DQ has better combat than both since it's faster paced while still tactical.
>>
>>3574510
Controls in DQ1 were complete crap. They took all the shit from Ultima such as special commands to take stairs or open doors and made it worse by pressing them into a menu instead of having all accessible at once.
There's really nothing fast paced or tactical about the combat either. You alternate actions with your enemy. No party or positioning involved and animation slows things down.
>>
>>3574495
I wish this was better resolution. Amazing mario 3 dev footage.
>>
>>3574510
>DQ has better combat
Opinion discarded. Wizardry is the pinnacle of blob combat.
>>
>>3574532
That's not even the worst of it, actually. In the original Famicom version, all the character sprites always faced forwards when moving, so you'd have to specify the direction you wanted to talk to somebody in.
>>
>>3573821
He made something infinitely more enjoyable, approachable, successful and enduring than either Ultima or Wizardry.
>>
>>3574461
Ultima and Wizardry are also deader than Jimmy Hoffa, while DQ continues to thrive. GG
>>
>>3575997
jrpgs are pretty dead too
>>
>>3575993
What makes DQ1 more approachable? The amount of grinding, the use of passwords for saving? DQ was successful because it was all Famicom plebs could get at the time, not because it was carefully designed to appeal to everybody. Americans didn't even care for it when they got an improved version for free.
>>
File: 1461788719765.jpg (14KB, 448x404px) Image search: [Google]
1461788719765.jpg
14KB, 448x404px
>>3574461
>toon
>>
>>3575997
Wizardry still gets games to this day and as far as this board is concerned sir-tech is still alive and working on Wizardry 8.
>>
ELF Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqZ-3zvs-38
That bunny girl is super sugoi
>>
>>3576019
Not really
FF7 remake is gonna sell like hotcakes
>>
COMPILE game development offices in Hiroshima from 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cow5fXW4w94&feature=youtu.be&t=885
>>
Wizardry 1 is not a tactical game at all. It's just a game designed to take a long ass time where your chance of freak-accident failure increases the faster you try and go.

I feel like Japan streamlined the RPG genre but they also really gave a shit about the mechanics, whereas western RPGs use stats for personal expression and variety in replays as opposed part of a well crafted puzzle-like combat system.
>>
>>3573836
Apple II ≠ Macintosh
>>
>>3578515
The Compile president, Moo Mitani made a shiton of mistakes to fuck the Compile in later 90
>>
>>3578515
>>3579778
http://www.seganerds.com/2015/10/25/niitani-masamitsu-founder-of-compile-and-creator-of-the-puyo-puyo-series/
>THEN…. WHAT WENT WRONG?

>Then… if everything was “Pure Golden Puyo Opulence” on that era, why is COMPILE gone and Niitani living in an apartment with part time jobs as TV Tokyo portrayed this week? What went wrong? The answer is something we see pretty often as SEGA fans: bad management and bad decisions…

>So, COMPILE started to roughly milk the Puyos for 6 years, they expanded their biz in South Korea, made excessive advertising expenditures, and as they were having more and more employees, the company started to have a huge debt on salaries alone, which caused their “Puyo Dungeon” SEGA Saturn title to be delayed a year, resulting in a big financial blow for the company in 1998. They ended declaring bankruptcy.

>To pay part of their huge debt, Niitani pawned the Puyo Puyo rights to SEGA, promising to repay to get them back. Of course, that never happened, as Niitani ended with a 700 million yen debt in credits trying to get COMPILE running again. So SEGA ended with the whole Puyo Puyo IP rights until today.
>>
>>3579795
be happy we are still getting new 3ds puyos. but yes its sad how so many died such a painful death.
>>
>>3578515
>>3579795
No wonder Moo Mitani looked so fucked in the interview
>>
>>3579795
>>3579809
>tfw In 2010, Compile Heart has the rights to most of Compile's former softography.
They fuckers are busy wit some trash games. They will never bring back Aleste seeries or will turn into cutie girls bullet hell games
>>
>>3579826
yes even sega is better than them. why is it that all they make are masturbation simulators for vita?
>>
>>3579826
At least they brought back Madou Monogatari, even if it was with a fake crew (same personalities and roles as the old crew, just different names and looks).

I kind of miss the colorful cartoon-like original graphics though. Compile Heart does these gradient filled over-designed characters while Sega does stylized Adobe Flash designs.
>>
>jrpg meme
The nips call them LRPGs for a reason. Light role-playing game. Casual Wizardry clones. JRPG simply denotes a region of origin, not a style. ARPGs started in Japan with Dragon Slayer, it's a JRPG. Not Retro Souls is an ARPG from Japan. By definition, a Japanese role-playing game.
>>
>>3579886
>The nips call them LRPGs for a reason. Light role-playing game
I never heard of this. Can you show me a Japanese source that uses this terminology?
>>
>>3579723
>whereas western RPGs use stats for personal expression and variety in replays as opposed part of a well crafted puzzle-like combat system.
When did they do that? In Wizardry or the early Ultimas the stats may be a bit random but they only influence the gameplay.

Wizardry gives you plenty of options in combat and encounters are decided by using them wisely instead of simple war of attrition.
The freak accident of losing initiative to a group of ninjas/undead/whatever can always happen.
Running out of resources in the middle of the dungeon isn't a freak accident, it's a predictable outcome.
>>
>>3579969
Don't argue with weebs they live in their own little world. Especially that part about combat systems.
>>
>>3580123
We're all weebs here. I'm so weeb, I played the Japanese computer version of Wizardry.
>>
File: 335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg (74KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg
74KB, 1000x680px
>>3579886
You got any proof of that because I've ONLY seen them say "RPG" and I play a lot of import and doujin RPGs.
>>
>>3580136
Only Robert Woodhead is allowed to be a weeb.
>>
>>3573836
That's only because they wanted a 16bit system that could have famicom retrocompatibility (which they dropped later) -- the NES had a custom 6502, so the logicial choice was a 16bit version of the 6502. That doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the Apple IIGS had the same CPU. For developpment, most of the time they used Sharp or NEC computers.
>>3573840
So did many platforms like Sun workstations, before the Mac or even the Lisa got released. Developping Megadrive games on a macintosh would have been stupid, it was already tedious to develop softwares for the mac on itself, so making games for a far more powerful system is kinda asking for troubles.
>>
>>3580139
That's because he think slightly rolled Rs are L and R.
>>
>>3580136
Don't argue with anti-weebs, they see weebs everywhere, especially since we're on a mongolian magic carpet trading billboard.
>>
>>3580202
Liking anime doesn't make you a weeb. Being a delusional japanophile does.
>>
>>3580205
You might think that way, but I've already been called a weeb just for liking MSX stuff, even though half of the stuff I like on this platform are Dutch musicdisks.
The dude saying that Wizardry 1 isn't a tactical game is spewing bullshit, but I've grown tired of these "hurrr weebs" comments, especially when used in the wrong situation (like one guy who said the only reason to get a sharp MZ is for """"""weeb"""""" reasons when it's not even that hard to find in european countries at a decent price, nor is the documentation about this platform).
>>
File: hiroshi fujiwara.jpg (53KB, 358x470px) Image search: [Google]
hiroshi fujiwara.jpg
53KB, 358x470px
>>3573821
is this Hiroshi Fujiwara ?
>>
>>3580234
Nothing wrong with that but if you start spouting off how trash about RPGs were bad until grorious nippon started releasing wizardry clones you fit the stereotypical definition of a weeb, plain and simple. I can't take anyone seriously when they start arguing game/system quality based off of popularity either.
>>
File: RIMG3577.jpg (111KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG3577.jpg
111KB, 640x480px
>>3580234
MZ80 or MZ2500?
MZ80 isn't really worthwhile for weeb stuff. 2500 seems like a maniac choice.
>>
>>3580250
Those guys are just posting their shitty opinions. There are people here who claimed that afterburner was trash or that super mario bros had shit controls. Wizardry was so popular in Japan they still released ports of the first games well into the late 80s/90s (hell, even the PS1 have one if I recall correctly) and made spinoffs of the series on Gameboy, as well as an OVA.
>>3580257
The MZ80s and MZ700s mostly, as well as the MZ35xxs (though this one's harder to find). The MZ2500 didn't seemed to have been released in europe, at least not in the UK, France or Germany.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.