[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finally got around to hacking my wii to play my emus and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: wiiblack00.jpg (17KB, 440x316px) Image search: [Google]
wiiblack00.jpg
17KB, 440x316px
So I finally got around to hacking my wii to play my emus and am loving it, but I wonder about getting bricked.
So far everything works great, but I went the lazy route and didn't install bootmii or make a NAND backup at all.

If everything is up and working well now, should it be fine? Or should I install to IOS and try to make a backup? I wasn't lucky enough to have the boot2 partition, so does it really matter?

Loving the ease of just booting up my wii and playing wireless NES/SNES/N64 games through composite though
>>
>>3573578
If you're just playing emulators then you will not brick your wii.
>>
It's seriously difficult to fuck it up. Just stick with the homebrew channel and you'll be totally fine.
>>
>>3573578
Nothing to worry about with what you're doing.
>>
You only need to do the iOS part if you're going to be running Gamecube and Wii games from backups.
>>
>>3573578
>not making backups before tinkering with the OS

You are fucking retarded, senpai.
>>
>>3574547
How are you supposed to back it up before modding it?
>>
>>3573578
dude wiis are like $20 used and i've never heard of anyone bricking theirs in recent years. You're fine.
>>
>>3573578
The only way to hardbrick a Wii is flashing wrong cIOS or installing Virtual Console games (.wad files) made for another region, in example, installing and running a NTSC-U wad on a PAL console.

Just do the following:

*Do that fucking NAND backup just in case.

*Be very careful installing cIOS, always verify that the download was OK and its made for the model of Wii you're using.

*If you install channels from SD or USB (.wad files) always ALWAYS verify that those are made for your region, or are region-free. Installing a PAL wad on a NTSC Wii or viceversa will brick your Wii (This is the most common way idiots brick their wiis).

Don't worry about using homebrew, the only ones that you should be careful with are the ones that mess with NAND, cIOS or WADs.
Have fun
>>
>>3574553
from what I recall installer of bootmii or hackmii had an option for that (either backup or prepare sd card or such). But I know there was such an option somewhere.
>>
File: IMG_0337.jpg (405KB, 1800x1329px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0337.jpg
405KB, 1800x1329px
Has anyone tried one of pic related? There's a few on Ebay, and on paper it seems good to have that design with no input lag via GC socket. But I imagine they're probably cheaply made.

I'm using an official GC at the moment and it's fine, just the dpad and buttons aren't as comfortable to use.
>>
>>3575120
I bought one and trashed it within a day. The D pad was stiff, the sticks were loose, and the buttons had to pressed really hard to register input. Don't waste your money like my dumbass did.
>>
>>3574619
>The only way to hardbrick a Wii is flashing wrong cIOS or installing Virtual Console games (.wad files) made for another region, in example, installing and running a NTSC-U wad on a PAL console.

I accidentally did that before and I didn't get bricked. It just said it couldn't be played in my region and that was that.

Wad stuff is perfectly safe for the better part now. If we were still having to deal with updates then it might be an issue, but as it stands you're really unlikely to brick your Wii nowadays.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the info.
Wii is still fine like most of you said, and I actually got the gf to start playing some old shit and now she's pretty into it.
I only plan on emulating retro shit and have everything set up perfectly with all my old roms on it now. Feels pretty comfy just firing it up and having everything works better than I thought.

Gf is so into it she wants to dig her brothers old n64 out of storage, emulation still sucks there haha.
Looks like I scored twice
>>
>>3573578
If you only just got around to hacking your wii you probably have a buttload of saves on it. You probably want to back that shit up. Best way to do that is install bootmi. Since doing that take an extra 30 second as part of an automated install I don't really see the point in being that lazy. And by lazy I mean retarded.
>>
>>3575120
This shit again? Wii controllers are lag free. Just get a real one.
>>
>>3575120
Buy a ps2 adapter for wiimote. Use a original ps2 controller only.
>>
>>3575232
And the 2016 Nobel Prize for physics goes to some kid on the internet who invented FTL wireless communication and superconducting circuits by willing them into existence on the wiimote through the sheer power of ignorance.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.