[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /vr/ feel about using a raspberry pi for emulation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

File: he'sonlygoneanddoneitagain.jpg (381KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
he'sonlygoneanddoneitagain.jpg
381KB, 1280x720px
How does /vr/ feel about using a raspberry pi for emulation? Personally i think it fits the bill just right. pic related
>>
File: 1454451448925.jpg (76KB, 650x754px) Image search: [Google]
1454451448925.jpg
76KB, 650x754px
I only have experience with RetroPie on a RasPi 2 Model B. It was decent, but I don't really like playing third generation stuff without scanlines. I tried bringing in some overlays and they were okay, but not as satisfying as filters imho, and I don't think the Pi has enough power to do those.
>>
I think it's Gay.
>>
>>3570575
the pi2 and pi3 can handle filters pretty well. plus retropie has gone through a lot of changes.
>>
>>3570583
Good to hear, are there any specific filters you would recommend? I'll have to give it another go since I'm now a little more familiar with RetroArch.
>>
>>3570619
Honestly it's a matter of trying them all one-by-one until you find one you like. There are a few crt filters but personally i play without 'em
>>
Raspberry pis are just smaller, weaker, cheaper computers. A powerful android or a run of the mill desktop computer would absolutely slaughter the pi in emulation capabilities. Pi is pretty much a meme now because its small enough to fit inside the shell of a broken retro system and emulate its functionality. A pi is actually by far the least ideal device to emulate on. People just think its great for emulation because of online youtuber fagotry. There's so much lag when using one, fuck all ram, weak processor, and...fuck it, I've said enough
>>
>>3570670
>There's so much lag when using one
If you're using the first model B
>Pi is a meme now
gr8 b8 m8 here's your (You)
>>
>>3570673

Hahahaaa, someone's butthurt because they wasted their money on a shit pi....mua hahhh
>>
>>3570684
>Doesn't own one
>Pretends to know how it performs
>>
>>3570575
> Watercooling a pi

Wtf....
>>
File: images (1).jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>3570693

Hahah, my but hurt friend, let me enlighten you. I have multiple pis, they are fun as shit to play with an to use for diy projects, but as an emulation box, wake the fuck up. A raspberry pi inside a new cartridge doesn't perform better than a PC, just like a civic won't outperform a lambo if you paint it red. Underagers....
>>
>>3570704
>A raspberry pi inside a new cartridge doesn't perform better than a PC
No shit. You don't need an i7 and a graphics card to play NES games.
>>
>>3570704
what model pi, mate?
>>
>>3569468
>>3570050
>>3570562
Okay this is officially shilling now
>>
>>3570704

Good for you for stating the obvious, have a cookie. This thread is about emulation in general, not just nes though. So your argument of "durrrr, anything can run nes!" doesn't prove that its a good emulation machine. As said before, the better the PC, the better it will run emulators accurately and allow for other special effects if need be. Lol, are you being paid to shill these pis or what?
>>
>> 3570704

Your mamas pi. Its dirty and gross, but so am I ; )
>>
>>3570704

But in all seriousness, lately I've been mucking about with a raspy 3
>>
I'm tired of using my desktop for emulation, I wanna chill on the sofa and play on a 4:3 screen. I was thinking of getting a Pi 3 w/ RetroPie and hooking it up to a CRT via the Pi's native composite, then link my NES30 bluetooth controller. Has anybody done this before? Any tips?
>>
I've done that setup before. If I remember correctly, the pi dosent output 240p through its composite output which is a kick in the nuts. Also, composite itself is a shitty way of playing games due to all the color bleeding. Svideo or better is where you wanna go with that type of thing. If you do use the composite port though, use a CRT and for the live of god not an HD screen, the lag due to upscaling will make it a nightmare to play
>>
>>3570762
>the pi dosent output 240p through its composite output which is a kick in the nuts
What does it output then, 144?

>Svideo or better is where you wanna go with that type of thing
Would I need a box or something for that? I wanna keep it simple fampai. And I don't mind colour bleed too much.

>use a CRT
Wanting to use a CRT over an HD monitor is the whole reason I wanna get a Pi.
>>
File: wii.jpg (91KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wii.jpg
91KB, 1000x1000px
If anyone on this board wants a cheap emulation solution that works on both HD and CRT, can output 240p, and emulates pre ps1 like a champ, then let me post a picture of your saviour.
>>
>>3570765
Wii does 240p, 480i and 480p. Also costs 40 used on average. Jailvreaking it takes 30 seconds and it emulates like a dream. The pi will work nicely on your CRT, but it still may leave a little to be desired.
>>
>>3570765

Pi does 480i through composite
>>
>>3570782
What effect would that have on the image? Would the interlacing be noticeable?

>>3570781
I've considered using my old Wii but the RetroPie's front-end is gorgeous and really efficient.
>>
>>3570789

The homebrew Chanel looks visually appealing enough for me particularly. Yea, you will notice a difference. 240p will give you a sharper image and it will have scan lines. 480i kind of blurrs the games look and makes text hard to read. That and 480i images shimmer a bit, which makes me feel sick when playing 2d Gea up close. Of you already have a Wii, give that thing a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>3570782
You can go with HDMI-VGA-Sync combiner to RGBS circuit and custom resolution settings to get 240p off Pi, but I thought people already know about this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/49wkr9/240p_rgbs_guide_rgb_composite_sync/
>>
I bought an Odroid XU4 for myself and a Pi for my brother.
The Odroid running Lakka, although $40 more, destroys the Pi.
>>
>>3568469
>>3568471

If you get this stuff it's by far the greatest ever emulation solution that there ever was. If it lives up that is, because the part that goes on top of the GPIO pins isn't released yet, but I have confidence in the people making it. It turns the pi into an arcade board with native res RGB and analogue input.

also it costs a couple hundred dollars all up

I'm patient enough to let other people be the martyrs and see how it is before I ever get one
>>
So the best emulation option without spending hundreds of dollars right now I guess is the Wii option. Analog RGB out expansions are exciting though
>>
I've been running Retropie on a Raspberry 3 for about a month now. I have to say for my means, playan third to fifth gen, it delivers more than enough. Performs well, easy to set up and power consumption is next to nothing. Of course there are people who spend 11.000 dollarinos on an old tv to make the marios look better. But I'm not one of them.
>>
Using an HDMI to VGA to comp? OP, don't put the pi on life support with a chain of converters which will ensure lag. Just use a laptop, PC, or wii
>>
I thought the whole CRT thing was be too because I remember going from SD to HD and thinking id never go back. But then I witnessed how new TVs butcher 240p and how input lag can fuck everything up. I'm so glad to have my shitty 20 inch CRT to play all the classics through my wii
>>
>>3570771
My nigga
>>
>>3570562
For lower intensity emulators a pi2 or 3 is fine, especially if you have a fast tf card, and a good USB controller. They show up as hid devices, so of it doesn't lag, and always registers when you press, that's covered. The pi1 & pi zero though, are really weak devices. Really weak. If you want good sound emulation, and want full frame rate, they won't cut it emulating anything newer than an atari 2600.
>>
>>3570709
>You don't need an i7 and a graphics card to play NES games
You don't need those to hilariously outperform a pi either.
>>
>>3570562
Using a raspberry for anything is retarded. I work with them because sometimes a jackass who read something once specifies it for a project. They're massively overpriced for the power/features they have. A <$10 orange is better for emulation than a 3B.

>>3570673
Technically you're right about Pi not being a meme. It's raspberry that's the meme. But we both know that's not what you meant and you're just a faggot who installed a retropi image on an SD and plugged into your memeberry do you could memeulate.

>>3570771
>HD and CRT are mutually exclusive.
Back to your containment board underage.
>>
>>3571409
You leave me p4 battle station alone! It's too old and dignified to get pulled into the ring with a pipsqueak like a pi.
>>
>>3571310
I've been running bsnes accuracy core full speed on a Pentium D
>>
>>3571423

Butthurt because that statement didn't include HD CRTs? Kek. TVs with the lag of HD but the blurry picture and weight of a CRT, fuck me for not mentioning those
>>
>>3570576
Any more pearls of wisdom?
>>
>>3571481
>someone pointed out im retarded
>ill call him butthurt
>people will think im not retarded
No they won't. Especially when all you do is parrot ignorance some other kid on the internet parroted from some other kid on the internet.
>>
>>3570765
>Wanting to use a CRT over an HD monitor is the whole reason I wanna get a Pi.
You're gonna be disappointed when you find out what 480i means.
>>
>>3571436
Yea...... A Pentium D is a powerhouse compared to a raspberry pi 1. The D was a fair jump past the p4 performance wise, and the p4 still wipes the floor with a pi.

https://bryanquigley.com/uncategorized/rasberry-pi-vs-old-dell-p4

I think maybe op just wants the D.
>>
I have raspberry 2 and can't get it to output 240p to my CRT, so I said fuck it and got a wii instead. It works so much better.
>>
>>3570562
ouya massive representing superior android console technology
>>
>>3570758
>the Pi
Which Pi the "the Pi"? I've only done it with half a dozen different Pis and it's likely none is the one you think is "the Pi". There are better devices out there designed for 240p, RGB and better software support than any of "the Pis". If you must use "the Pi" to maintain your hipster cred you can get 240p RGB out of it with ~$5 in parts.
>>
>>3571867

No one gives a fuck about HD CRTS, lol, either deal with it or neck yourself
>>
File: hurrrrdurrrr.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
hurrrrdurrrr.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>3571867
>someone pointed out im retarded
>ill call him butthurt
>people will think im not retarded

>No they won't. Especially when all you do is parrot ignorance some other kid on the internet parroted from some other kid on the internet.

You are the scum of 4chan. I'm posting from an HD CRT, and still, I would not recommend this to anyone at all for retro gaming.

>Hurrrrr, your just parroting!!!

Apparantly I know what im talking about through experience. Next jab faggot?
>>
File: 20161018_151433.jpg (2MB, 2340x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_151433.jpg
2MB, 2340x2988px
>>3570562
I put a pi 3 in an NES, and have ibuffalo snes controllers hooked up to it. It does turbografix, mame, and all home and portable consoles from ps1 and before (n64 emulator kinda sucks) perfectly.

It definitely helps make for a budget /vr/ battlestation. Pic related. Got a flashcard for the n64 and I burn the dreamcast games.

Getting a mausberry power switch for the nes allows you to use the original power and reset buttons to power/reset the pi, and putting an hdmi to composite converter allows you to play it on a crt tv.
>>
>>3572307
HDMI to composite?......noone should do that...ever...I mean it. HDMI to component or S-Video would be the way to go
>>
>>3572316
Yeah if I had the chance to do it over again I wouldn't do it. The colors are REALLY bright and bleed together a bunch, which makes some details almost impossible to see in some games. It's passable, but it could definitely be better.
>>
File: 20160731_024255.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_024255.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>3572320
Pic related is a screenshot of how it looks.

I couldn't find a cable that worked with the native composite correctly. Making sure the pins on the input jack are correct is pretty important apparently but the shit isn't clearly marked on the packaging.
>>
>>3572320
yeah, composite was a necessary evil back when tvs were lucky to have more than just the RF input. No point using that today since S-Video and component are now a thing
>>
>>3572341
>I couldn't find a cable that worked with the native composite correctly
You mean the Pi's native composite 3.5mm out straight into a CRT?
>>
oh look it's this FUCKING THREAD AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME
>>
File: 8112730887_594d006d21_o.jpg (79KB, 502x618px) Image search: [Google]
8112730887_594d006d21_o.jpg
79KB, 502x618px
>>3570716
I was telling you people about GNU-hippies and their various cohorts and cronies!

>>3534624
>>3534624
>>3534624

I was telling you!!!
>>
>>3572281
People caring or not doesn't make you any less retarded or wrong

>>3572287
You're citing your "experience" with making a poor choice selecting the one HD CRT you've ever used? Top kek. Your personal recommendations dictate whether whether HD and CRT are two different things? Top kek kid.
>>
>>3573287
Actually, i;m good with HD and CRT as a description now that I look at it again. HD CRTS are covered by by the description of HD. Your autistic little mind can rest easy now.
>>
>>3570670
>powerful android
>better than pi
My Galaxy S5 can't even run most N64 games without lagging balls and it was 12x more expensive. Also, touch screen is a terrible way to emulate games.
>>
>>3573387
Well now that some kid on the internet has rationalized his mistakes in his own mind we can all rest easy. kek
>>
>>3570562
Depends. Its nice on vacation or to not dig out games to play. At home though PC + Steamlink
>>
It's okay but I spend more time trying to get shit to work than I do playing games.
I'm constantly losing my saves or running into input problems because of retroarch's shitty design
>>
>>3573432
Retroarch on on a memeberry is shitception.
>>
File: big_1436458527_image.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big_1436458527_image.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>3571423

An orange isn't better for emulation than a raspberry pi. Here's (you), pic related. Dumb faggot.
>>
>>3572307
I have a TV stand just like that for my setup
>>
>>3574430
It is kiddo. Even the lowest end one significantly outperforms the highest end raspberry. You really are dumb as fuck. Have you even used a raspberry or are you just parroting? I don't even need to ask if you've used any other pi because you obviously haven't.
>>
>>3575142

You have just made another assumption and it was wrong again. Were you born this retarded or did you have to work on it? Stupid cuck
>>
>>3571310
>p1 runs shit if not overclocking
I have a non overclocked running lakka for 8 bit( except pce CD) e gensis run okay but with zero filters
>>
>>3575149
Saying you're dumb as fuck isn't an assumption sport. You've provided more than enough evidence to make it a provable fact.
Love how you can't just come out and say you've used a raspberry. Is that because bullshitting is OK but outright lying is is against your underage code of ethics?
>>
>>3575142
Don't kid yourself. You know that OrangePi and other Chinese clones are shit when it comes to software support, so they are pretty much useless for anything else than headless usage. You don't even have accelerated video.
>>
>>3570562
why would you emulate anything when flash carts exist?
>>
>>3573287
HD CRTs are even worse for retro gaming than HD LCDs. They still have to upscale the image, but this time they're using archaic as fuck upscalers that create even more ridiculous input lag than HD LCDs.
>>
>>3576102
For both CRT and LCD TVs then, identical it dependent on the scaling hardware in the tv? Suggesting you need an external fast upscaler?
>>
>>3576245
Isn't it. Not identical. WTF autocorrect? Getting coffee now....
>>
>>3575583

I've already said I've used multiple pis. That makes you a dumbass. You must be an underager from reddit based on your autistic hatred of "HD and CRT" and your inability to read a simple thread properly. Your stepdad would be pissed if he knew the naughty things you were using his laptop for, like shitposting here. If he knew he would take his dick out of your mom long enough to give you a proper beating.
>>
>>3576102
>They still have to upscale the image
No they don't. Good ones let you turn the upscaler off. Must suck to be a fucktard that didn't know this when you bought your shit one that doesn't.

>>3576293
>being so retarded you don't know this is an anonymous board and no one know who said what unless you reply
Yeah, that makes me the dumb ass. Excellent supporting evidence about how the memeberry is so good BTW.

>HD and CRT
I get it now. You're the assmad autist who can't admit he made a simple mistake saying HD CRTs don't exist. Now pretending to be a pi expert because you got your ass handed to you on that point. Pretty pathetic kid.
>>
>>3576457

>no deductive reasoning skills
>mom gets plowed by someone who isn't daddy
>shitposts on 4chan out of angst and jealousy of stepdad

Lol, keep buying your chink pis, loser
>>
>>3576457

>>Uses an orange pi for emulation

Lol, buy a Wii you stupid faggot
>>
>>3576505
Original Orange Pi has VGA. That makes it pretty good, all in all.
>>
I wonder if the RPi Zero could be used as the basis for a cheap flash cart. I'm guessing there's probably some technical reason that they use FPGAs and microcontrollers over SBCs, though. The I/O pin count could be an issue, too.
>>
>>3577130
SBCs run fill blown OSes, and the processors often support pipelining. Both of those things make them iffy, difficult, or completely unusable for real-time work. Microcontrollers are better for that work ( FPGAs can be whatever you want, add long as it fits). Even a pokey 20mhz 8 bit atmega does better for real-time than an odroid or pi3. That's why you see people use them on 3d printers and CNC machines when a much more powerful pi is the same price. Also, why some of the 3d printer adapters for the pi actually are just an Arduino on a pi hat.
>>
>>3577243
You don't have to run an OS on most SBCs. Many of them can function perfectly fine as development boards for bare metal programming.
>>
>>3577357
Depends. Some of them boot very strangely. IE the pi uses the GPU to load up the code to boot the CPU. Also, not all pipelined CPUs have a non pipelined mode.
>>
>>3576481
10/Projecting
You in a nutshell sport

>>3576505
I have 6 of those waggle consoles sport. I even have 2 portable ones. But they're obese bricks compared to any orange. Enjoy running outdated emulators on a CPU less powerful than a made for India cel phone.
>>
>>3579281

Lol, listen sport, your rice pi sucks sport. Just get a Wii with Wii sports, sport.
>>
>>3570716
Yet the million of flashcart dicking sucking threads aren't? Fuck off.
>>
>>3579317
Do you have anything to contribute aside from lowering the average age and IQ of posters this thread?
>>
>>3579567

>>Complains about another anons IQ
>>Defends orange pi for emulation

You da man, man.
>>
>>3570562
Can anyone recommend a good one with S-Video? if it can play PlayStation 1, that would be sick but mostly looking for anything older than 5th gen.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.