[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My uncle was going through stuff at my grandmother's house

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Games.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Games.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
My uncle was going through stuff at my grandmother's house and gave me some boxes of his old games that have been sitting untouched in storage for 15 years. I'm guessing I should clean them before trying to play them? What should I use to clean them with? I don't have any video game specific cleaning stuff on hand.

He said this was a small part of whats there but he's still digging stuff out to get rid of and told me he'd let me know if he found the rest of his nes games and his 16 bit stuff.
>>
Cotton swabs with isopropyl alcohol (do not get it on the labels) for the metal contacts. For the outer plastic shell, I use Pine-Sol diluted with water (be very careful with the label, dry it off fast).
>>
Yall aint probably have to do shit nigga...
Just plug that shit in and see if it done work
>>
>>3570397
This. Very simple and effective. Any computing or hardware store should have 99% isopropyl alcohol.
>>
>>3570401
ayy yo beeetch dis be aight up in he-yah nigga! jus be snukkin dat mup da doo didda bix nood nigga
>>
>>3570443
>99%

I have 90% alcohol from the dollar store and some swabs
>>
>>3570464
Why? 99% is far better for cleaning any component.
>>
>>3570465
Because its what my local dollar store sells. I don't think I've actually seen 99% before. I've seen 50%, 70%, and 90%. Of course, the stuff I have is mainly for medical uses and disinfecting.
>>
>>3570467
I clean a lot of computer components and electronics, I wouldn't use less than 99%. A lot of that <99% stuff has fragrances that leave residue.
>>
>>3570464
>>3570465

Earnestly can't you don't have the superior /vr/ approved rubbing alcohol anon, are you some sort of pleb? Do you not take pride in your alcohol rubbing? Shame on you.

90% works fine. White vinegar works even better if you have that
>>
>>3570482
>rubbing alcohol
I wouldn't be rubbing 99% isopropyl alcohol on your skin, anon.
>>
>>3570476
>>3570482
I did some google searching after reading your posts not realizing any of this. I discovered entire websites discussing where to find 99% alcohol and how to use it to clean components. Apparently I can ask for it at the pharmacy.
>>
>>3570495
Maybe. My local pharmacy doesn't have it, but a hardware chain stocks it. Computer shops should sell it, too.
>>
File: destiny.jpg (79KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
destiny.jpg
79KB, 720x480px
>>3570383

That is an outstanding collection of fun games (fuck the collectors, what you have there are the game that mattered).

Destiny of an emperor is one of the more overlooked JRPGs of the era. I've gone back and replayed that more than any dragon warrior or final fantasy game.
>>
>>3570524
He told me he should have another 100 or nes games in there somewhere when he finds them.

Grandma is a bit of a hoarder and so it may take him awhile.
>>
>>3570553
Why don't you go help him?
>>
>>3570578
I should, if only to rescue the games but I cringe at the thought of what is going to happen when she gets out of the hospital and finds out that the family has staged a sort of intervention to clean out 20 years of accumulated junk she's been collecting.
>>
>>3570383
Nice collection. What works best is cotton swabs and Brasso diluted with some distilled water, but 90%+ isopropyl alcohol is cheaper and works pretty good too. Alcohol also works great for getting stickers off. Use magic erasers to get off any writing/marker.
>>
>>3570601
Don't use metal polish on cartridge pins. On optical media it can be good for smoothing scratches, however.
>>
>>3570482
If you can't be bothered to clean your games with >9000% memeing alcohol you may as well just emulate. Jesus.

>not putting traditionally brewed and aged sarsons malt vinegar on the chips in your cart.
>>
File: 20161020_171738.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161020_171738.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Okay. I got a second box today of games he found, and an nes system.

The alcohol must be doing something, because the swaps from yesterday's games were quite filthy from the half dozen I cleaned.
>>
File: 20161020_171806.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161020_171806.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Here's the nes itself. I'm guessing I need some specific kind of tool to clean the pins inside it?
>>
>>3572937
>Dragon Warrior IV
Congrats. You own the best game on the NES.
>>
>>3570495
90% works fine man. If you have any carts that don't play, try the white wine vinegar or 99% (I haven't used 99% but white wine vinegar works better than 90%)
>>
Thats pretty awesome OP. Hopefully you're someone who appreciates what you've been given. Everything I have I've had to buy myself besides a couple gifts from my family. Did you already have a collection that this was added to? Or is this the beginning?... or end?
>>
>>3573030
Its not the end because he says there are still games missing like Contra he knows for sure is floating around somewhere.
>>
>>3573046
I meant in a sense like he's just going to sell them all "the end." Not more free loot on its way.
>>
>>3573063
He said he was going to give me whatever he found and not worry about it. I mean, he did rent a 8 x 20 dumpster and its already half full so I'm hoping some more stuff appears.

He did tell me he lost some games years back when a pipe burst in the house and caused flooding and they got wet so who knows whats there.
>>
>>3572943
No, the top loading console is reliable.
>>
Well I've run into my first non working game, Baseball Stars. Can't get anything other than a green screen no matter what and cleaned it twice.
>>
>>3573259
keep on cleaning it, I've bought games that I've had to clean with alcohol 5 or 6 times
>>
>>3573259
Take a flashlight and look closer. Pinpoint the dirtier and more tarnished contacts and clean those scrubbing up and down instead of side to side.
>>
>>3573267
>>3573267
this

and oddly enough OP, the one that gave me the most trouble of all was Baseball Stars. I cleaned mine and fucking green stuff came off by the end, but it did work.
>>
File: gfs_28999_2_9.jpg (7KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_28999_2_9.jpg
7KB, 256x224px
Keep trying to get baseball stars working.

>Those feels when you outgrow a lower level player and have to fire him to make room for solid rookie with a higher stat cap.
>that loyal dog following him into the sunset
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.