[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ any interdasting homemade vidya inspired decoratio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20161018_193302686.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161018_193302686.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
Does /vr/ any interdasting homemade vidya inspired decorations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47liDnOHLw
>>
>>3569908
I don't know if it's interdasting or not, i have two paintings made by my mom, about ICO and Kolibri.
>>
>>3569960
Sounds neat. Have any pics? Curious to see what she came up with.
>>
>>3569973
I don't know, it's just two paintings of the covers of both games anyways.
>>
I have some mega man prints by some guy on Etsy. They're a little over the top, but they were a nice gift
>>
inb4 retarded perler "art"
>>
no, i have a japanese advertising poster for a fairly obscure game i'm a fan of at my house though.
>>
I'm not a disgusting hipster.
>>
File: mario_1_small[1].jpg (148KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mario_1_small[1].jpg
148KB, 1000x750px
>>3570139
Pixel art makes good decoration though because it's cheap and easy and doesn't actually require any creativity. If you really feel the need to sperg out on people who are having fun making things about the difference between "arts" and "crafts" then you have a problem.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-19-09-55-03.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-19-09-55-03.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
My sweet ass wife painted this lil' guy for me. It's titled "Samus was too hard"
>>
>>3569908
It's one thing I'm actually pretty disappointed about, I have almost zero decorations in my house. I don't have any video games/tabletop game decorations anymore because I'd keep getting mocking comments over it from relatives and weird looks from strangers (Used to have a Warhammer diorama on one of my shelves, a bookshelf stocked with D&D/WoD/40k/etc books, old retro consoles on display under my living room TV), and I don't really have anything else to put like photos.

I'd love to see what others have though, maybe I could find something nice and understated to put up somewhere that's not just a generic house decoration.
>>
>>3570218
That's fucking awesome (And hilarious).
>>
Nothing very interesting really, just a FFVIII poster, a big 3x3 sectioned wallpaper deal of the clone black mages from FFIX, and a little Yoshi I got when I was like 6.
>>
File: w.jpg (19KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
19KB, 604x453px
i used to have this
not too cringey, not too memetic
subtle but elegant
>>
>>3570319
I like it. I'd imagine most people like grandmas and visitors would just assume its some sort of abstract art or something.
>>
>>3570224
That's unfortunate. I don't worry myself with what anyone else thinks about my hobbies. It does suck though to not have anyone with similar interests with which to share the enthusiasm over such things.

I really like everything posted thus far! Individual interests make for a nice variety.
>>
>>3569908
I have a bunch of pepakura stuff. I've done light/shadow boxes but don't have any right now. Mine stuff is cut by my robot minions. Did you do yours by hand?

That flashing blue light hurts my eyes and brain.
>>
File: IMG_20161009_202754015.jpg (2MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161009_202754015.jpg
2MB, 4320x2432px
>>3571702
Yeah, everything except the 9x9 shadow box frame itself was done by hand, including cutting the characters/scene out from 12x17 cardstock sheets (the tree was tedious as hell), the wood for the music box, and hand building the music box electronics board/circuit.

Heh, I kind of agree with the white light on the switch, though the camera makes it seem worse than it actually is. I went through 4 resistors to change the brightness of it and settled with the highest value I had on hand at the time. Still, I may end up ordering and experimenting with some higher value resistors to try to minimize the brightness of the LED even more...
>>
>>3571840
What's with all those parts in there? I would have though you could just plug everything straight into an MP3 module and run it in key mode. Did you need amps for >9000W in a music box or something?
>>
i like it
>>
>>3569908
Sadly, every collector views anything released before 1999 as video game inspired decoration
>>
File: 1453908827120-0.jpg (244KB, 968x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1453908827120-0.jpg
244KB, 968x1280px
>>3572319
very much this
>>
That's pretty gay.
>>
File: 1331406555_FotoSketcher.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1331406555_FotoSketcher.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
No, but apparently there are three people out there who printed stuff I made and hanged on their walls.
If I were to do something I'd probably go with something that could work as both vr reference and normal picture, like pic related.
>>
>>3572295
The bulk of it is the relay used to operate the on off switching function in order to play/stop the music with a single button. I was limited by the way the module itself works, as well as a 555 timer circuit for the light pulsing which is was just for shits and giggles. The other is a small 3w amplifier, a couple speakers, and the switch itself.

Not really much to it, to be honest.
>>
>>3572587
I thought the SOMO could drive 3W on it's own. Or is it as underpowered as it is overpriced? I have a $1 part that drives 3W, has a single button for start/stop and a flashing LED. It even has a USB connector for power. You could have save yourself a lot of fun by using something like that.
>>
>>3573456
That is correct (mostly all of it). The SOMO-II can drive a single 3W speaker or provide stereo analog output for the use of an external amp/headphones. However, the reason I ended up using the setup I did stemmed from the fact that I had initially planned to make a much larger box, utilizing an adjustable volume knob and stereo output for a fuller sound, so the amp made more sense here. In addition to that, I originally intended to make speaker cut outs in the front of the box and mount them properly. I also liked that it utilized a microSD for storage, as I considered putting the entire soundtrack on it and having next/prev buttons as well.

Then, towards the middle of building it, I changed my mind quite a bit because I felt with the scene I was depicting in the shadow box itself, it would give it a more traditional music box feel if it played a single song, and sounded like music was resonating from within with no visible speakers.

Ultimately, you could say it is the result of poor planning. Sure, I could have cut corners or resorted to using a more cost friendly and practical solution to achieve the same goal, but the financial aspect was not really a concern, not to mention I already had a couple of these SOMO-II modules lying around, so really it was easily justifiable to use it as opposed to something else.

I definitely agree though, for what it is, the SOMO II is definitely overpriced as hell and would advise against buying one to use the way I have here.

Just for curiosity sake, do you have any info on the part you are talking about? I have a couple friends who have asked me if I could make something similar for them, and it sounds like that may be a more sensible route to replicate it.
>>
>>3573763
Best laid plans. Been there, done that.
These are two parts I've been using:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TF-card-U-disk-MP3-Format-decoder-board-module-amplifier-decoding-audio-Player/32452908246.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-Mini-MP3-Player-Module-with-Simplified-Output-Speaker-MP3-TF-16P-For-arduino-UNO/32657015869.html
Each has it's own unique advantages. Both are better than the SOMO in every way I can imagine. Especially price. The first can do everything your setup does including the blinking led. Apparently I lied about the price. It's $1.15 not $1.00. Hope that's not a deal breaker.
>>
>>3574085
Very nice! I'm interested in the second one for sure! Though even with the first being a near dead ringer, the reason I ended up building the work around I did was because rather than play/pause button functionality, which the SOMO-II is also natively capable of, I wanted play/stop functionality. This would make it so that the song starts from the beginning when played again. This required using two separate resistance values to be grounded for each action, thus watching the busy pin voltage and the relay to switch between them. It's really just nit picky stuff triggering my autism though.

>Hope that's not a deal breaker.

Compared to the price of a single SOMO-II, not at all. The second module looks like it's probably the exact same sort of device, still looking for some sort of datasheet to confirm that though. Might order one to play with. Thanks!
>>
>>3574552
The second one is a standard dfplayer module. Same spec and pinout as any other.

I'm 99% sure the play/pause button on the first one has a long press function of stop. If you do have to/want to use two key resistors you might consider an analog switch instead of a relay. Smaller, cheaper. You wouldn't even need a PCB. You could just stick it to the bottom of the module, especially of with SOP/SMD parts.
>>
>>3574606
Holy crap. The SOMO is the same damn thing... And I like your analog switch idea. I am relatively ignorant to the plethora of components out there that can accomplish the same task. You've been very helpful and I appreciate the hell out of it.
>>
>>3574650
Glad I could help. It's always refreshing to have a conversation about hardware on /vr/ where the entire thread doesn't consist of a dozen kids say "recap and reflow" as the answer to every question.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.