[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Your most hated cheesey, gimmicky tropes in videogames

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 1475892768942.jpg (201KB, 1918x895px) Image search: [Google]
1475892768942.jpg
201KB, 1918x895px
ITT: Your most hated cheesey, gimmicky tropes in videogames

>Jail/imprisonment section where your stripped of all your weapons
>>
Silent protagonist
Amnesia
Desert levels
"Visit X worlds and collect an item in each of them"
Elevators in beat 'em ups where the enemies fall from above and hit you
>>
>>3568907
I hate when enemies laugh when you die at a part. But aside from a loss of honour, it makes me want to try harder.
>>
Unwinnable fights for story progression.
Either let me win, or make it really obvious I can't beat the guy, but don't let me waste all my items on one fight.
>>
>>3568907
>"Sewers" level
>First-person platforming on Build engine
From the top of my head. I am playing Redneck Rampage.
>>
>Do objective A
>To complete A, you must first complete B
>To complete B, you must first complete C
>To complete C, you must first complete Objectives D1, D2, and D3
>To complete D3, you must complete E
>>
>>3568907
Protagonists and antagonists that don't just kill each other the first chance they get.
>>
>>3568907
Why wouldn't you be stripped of all your weapons though?

Anyway my answer is same as >>3568946
>>
>>3568931
this, this is fucking terrible.
>>
>>3568907
I hate in stories where a boss's gameplay strength doesn't live up to the hype. If you're going to ride his dick all game saying how powerful and strong he is, don't let me wipe the floor with him the moment I enter a battle I can win.

Also, sick to death of "the church/temple/king is actually the bad guy" sort of stories. At this point, I generally wind up surprised when a writer doesn't take the low hanging fruit on that.
>>
>>3568954
Fallout 3 strips you of all your weapons only to put them in a locker where you get them back 30 seconds later...all those hotkeys reassigned. All those notifications "... just added" "... just added" "... just added" "... just added" "... just added"
>>
>>3568907
>boss doesn't do anything
>he just summons enemies
>>
>>3568907
The game you've played 300 times has a tutorial

When said tutorial also has an option to run/exit but you can't use it
>>
>>3569040
Yeah, personally I think it would be better for them to scatter them about. Maybe the plot-important or one-of-a-kind things could end up getting taken/given to and used by the forces of whoever imprisoned you, while the replaceable stuff just disappears permanently, having presumably been sold.

Maybe they could also make capture avoidable.

That said Fallout 3 is retarded shit garbage for a lot of reasons, like oh my god what the fuck were they doing
>>
>>3568931
>>3568962

The point is to make you get rid of your items, to stop players from being hoarders.

Frankly I think the mother series did great with this, and it makes me satisfied to see people complain about not being able to hold a billion items that they'll never even use.
>>
>>3569043
>boss is 50 ninjas doing backflips and shit
>>
>>3569043
Also known as "we couldn't come up with any more kinds of gameplay"
>>
>>3569072
>The point of unwinnable fights is to stop players from being hoarders
Retard alert.
>>
Damsel in distress
>>
>>3569410
the OP said bad tropes, not: "the only trope you can think of"
>>
>>3569410
fuck off Anita
>>
boss that is actually 3 or more enemies at once
>>
>>3568907
Bosses who open their weak spot once in eternity for one hit and are impossible to finish quick no matter how much skill you have.
>>
>>3569424
what? do you actually like damsels in distress? or is there something wrong with wanting game developers trying a less hacky bullshit excuse for making the gamer care?
>>
>late 90s jrpg or horror game
>lots of fmv cutscenes

The cutscenes are one of those things that have caused discourse in hindsight. Cutscene culture at the time was pretty toxic. It led to a lot of good games being scoffed at due to no cutscenes and a lot of subpar ones being popular due to pretty visuals.
>>
>>3569498
I know that the current trend is to hate any and all cutscenes, but i always loved them. the reward for dealing with a lot of grinding, brutally hard bullshit was a cutscene with some pretty graphic, or an emotional moment, or a sudden plot twist. Even that one 30 second scene in Ninja Gaiden where, after this punishing level climbing a mountain, the player is rewarded with a scene of Ryu standing atop the mountain, looking at the enemy's castle. Like, congratulations! your reward for this ass beating is to gaze upon your future ass beating! I loved that
>>
>>3569487
don't mind him, he's just a bit jumpy about "muh sjws"
>>
>>3568931
How do you feel about fights like Leon and Cloud in Kingdom Hearts that are technically winnable but the story progresses the same regardless of whether you win or lose?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.