[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I prefer Tactics over all the mainline FF games? I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: Final-Fantasy-Tactics.jpg (52KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-Tactics.jpg
52KB, 468x468px
Why do I prefer Tactics over all the mainline FF games? I think they are overrated and extremely boring. Beaten I-V, played VI and VII.
>>
>>3561958
I'm 18 btw and started playing the FF games since last year.
>>
>>3561958
The spinoffs tend to be better than the mainline games for some reason.
>>
>>3561962
That's odd. What are some other spinoffs worth checking out?
>>
>>3561965
Bravely Default, Dissidia, 4 Heroes of Light, and Tactics Advance. I wouldn't count Vagrant Story as a spinoff but it's a good game in its own right.

I've not played Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core but I've heard good things about the latter. If you liked the overall setting of FF7, CC expands greatly on Shinra.
>>
>>3561958
You're a hipster, plain and simple. It's a serviceable TRPG and nothing more.
>>
>>3562000

>ogrefag
>>
>>3562000
Isn't it a shit TBS?
>>
>>3562000
How does that make me a hipster?
>>
File: Agrias_Artwork.jpg (903KB, 838x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Agrias_Artwork.jpg
903KB, 838x1024px
FFT was okay. The story was great, but the gameplay was broken.

There are some patches to fix it up though.
>>
>>3562084
>There are some patches to fix it up though.
none of them really "fix" it
>>3562000
what would you call the other Final Fantasy games
>>
>>3561958
Because this is really more Tactics Ogre than FF.
>>
>>3561981
Funnily enough, IX was also meant to be a spinoff of sorts.

>>3562127
I wouldn't really say any of them really set out to fix things either. There's ASM things you can do these days like fix Oil doing nothing and make the random equipment selection less shit, but none of the big hard mode hacks really try to preserve the original game during their rebalancing.
>>
File: 20000.jpg (74KB, 415x557px) Image search: [Google]
20000.jpg
74KB, 415x557px
>>3561958
I love FFIV, V, VI, and VII but yeah, FFT is my favorite Final Fantasy and among my favorite games period.
>>
I could never get into FFT, but I'm one of those weirdos that has Tactics A2 as my favorite.

But that's not retro, so I'll leave it at that.
>>
>>3562225
How about the main FF games?
>>
>>3562013
But Tactics Ogre is the amazing next closest thing to FFT.
>>
>>3562252
Believe it or not, FF1 is probably my favorite of the main series.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I like the simplicity of everything. Later entries bog you down with tons and tons of story and dialogue, and some of them really railroad you into having a linear progression.
>>
>>3562000
Or he likes the art direction of ff games but hates the gameplay
>>
>>3562678
OP here. Yes, this is true.

FFT does everything right. Medieval setting, great music as usual, gameplay is actually good, and the story seems interesting so far.

How is VIII-IX? Will my opinion change on the series, or will I still dislike them because I hate the gameplay?
>>
>>3562746
VIII is different in terms of gameplay. A lot of people don't agree with me on this, but hear me out.
Look at the PS games as analogs to the SNES games in terms of character functionality.
Meaning: FFVII's materia being like FFVI's Espers. FFIX's character-is-their-job like FFIV's character-is-their-job. FFVIII's Junctions like FFV's job system/Freelancer.

That said, FFVIII has a lot going against it for the stuff you seem to like. Semi-futuristic setting and polarizing plot/characters, particularly. There's a lot of fun to be had if you actually dive in and learn the Junction system and learn to use field abilities and junctions to your advantage. You can play with little to no random encounters past a certain point.

It's not everyone's cup of tea as a game, much less as a "proper FF", but it's not without merit, and can be an interesting experience if you go into it with an open mind. But, again, there's a lot of things about it that kill it for various people. Even fans of the game have something they dislike.
>>
>>3562746
IX, on the other hand, is made to be a throwback to "simpler times" with then-modern amenities. Like VIII, I like it, but I won't say it's flawless. The battle system is molasses slow, even if the game looks very good for the time. You can't exactly experiment with character setups like in V-VIII, since you've got a situation like IV where the cast corresponds to an archetype. So, basically, your only real customization comes from equipment options/effects. Yes, sub abilities (poison resistance, half MP for casters) are a thing, but you learn those from your equipment anyway. And a lot of people get pushed into certain party configurations for ability reasons. Two characters that fulfill the same archetype actually function differently (one's a better White Mage, one's a better Summoner), and two can combine skills for a magic sword attack (thus costing two characters a turn for one strike).

And some things in the game are really well-hidden. Like, "people realized there's a sidequest 16 years after the game came out" well-hidden.

But, there's good stuff in IX, as well. Just mind the slow battles and limited customization, if those are particularly dealbreakers for you.
>>
>>3562772
If you think 9 is throwback, wait until you play 4 Heroes of Light.
>>
>>3562783
I've been meaning to, actually. I missed out on it, even though I rather liked Bravely Default.
>>
File: 1440357568052.jpg (923KB, 1500x970px) Image search: [Google]
1440357568052.jpg
923KB, 1500x970px
You need to play 9
>>
>>3561958

Harder question is that why do people try to compare it and FFTA despite having completely different design philosophies.
>>
>>3563408
Because it's in the same spinoff series? Why else?
>>
>>3563396
Eh, it was alright. I'd probably be more attached to it if I were younger when it came out, to be honest.
>>
So which FF game has the best story? They all seem kind of simplistic.
>>
>>3563431
Either FF6 or FF7, I suppose - but only if you play them with later translations, like the GBA translation for FF6 and the Reunion mod translation for FF7.
>>
>>3563431

I think that most people agree that the best world for final fantasy is Crystal Chronicles. Even if the gameplay itself is weak.

Pretty much any game in the Ivalice alliance series has some great plots.
>>
>>3562129
This is the main reason. FFT is a Tactics Ogre game with a different branding; it's a completely different type of story than any other Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>3563456
most of the ivalice shit is matsuno's work, and his work in TO is brilliant.

too bad he went completely off the rails in current years
>>
>>3563445
When did the FF series get bad?
>>
>>3563501
I'd say after 12.
>>
>>3563501
I wouldn't say it ever got bad. Just a few bad eggs in there.

Granted, the entirety of the FFXIII trilogy being complete garbage (and barely games to begin with) certainly made the series look bad.
>>
>>3563396
It was a good Dragon ball game.
>>
File: 1438614043969.png (267KB, 320x446px) Image search: [Google]
1438614043969.png
267KB, 320x446px
Why do people lump in Final Fantasy Tactics with the mainline Final Fantasy games even though it's a spin-off with different gameplay?

Do they do it to fit in on an anonymous image board? Do they think it makes their opinions sound distinguished and patrician? Are they just so stupid they can't differentiate two separate game series just because they both have the words "Final Fantasy" in them and never learned what a spin-off was?

What is it? I'm genuinely curious
>>
How would a FFT sequel work?
>>
>>3563776
>Why do people lump in Final Fantasy Tactics with the mainline Final Fantasy games

Nobody does. Stop typing.
>>
>>3563776
Because mainline FF games are boring and overrated
>>
>>3563928
>>3563929
Yo what are the chances of two unrelated people posting at nearly the same time after three hours of no one bumping

Crazy shit
>>
>>3563932
AND they both had different things to say.

That's some next-level samefagging right there.
>>
>>3563782
The Church upping the ante and trying to erase all evidence of their lies, performing public executions, branding every little thing as a heresy, and eventually sparking a direct war between those who have lost their faith and the church itself. The protagonist could be a member of the church who has been told that Ramza was a murderer and a terrorist who caused the likes of T.G. Cid to "mysteriously vanish" following a meeting with them.

Remember, even though Ramza saved Ivalice, he was largely unknown to the common people despite being a thorn in the side of every major player in the land, and the church went to great lengths to keep it that way.
>>
>>3563501
Post-merger time. X is an exception because it was mostly developed beforehand, and XII is alright too, but after that just plummets down a cliff.
>>
>>3562084
Exploiting the weird gameplay was fun when I first played through the game and didn't have access to any sort of guides. Discovering interesting ways to break it was what made it worth playing imo
>>
>>3563987

4 Heroes of Light was released after XII.
>>
>>3563782
You play as Arazlam in Ivalice's equivalent of the Enlightenment.
>>
File: 1390111457546_zps4356c765.jpg (196KB, 909x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1390111457546_zps4356c765.jpg
196KB, 909x1000px
>>3563782
I'd like a prequel starring a new character that was an Ordalian soldier during the 50 years war. You run into young Wiegraf and the Death Corps irregulars, and young Balbanes, Zalbag, Orlandu, etc. You may or may not ally with them at some point, since you start on opposite sides of the war.

Either that or a prequel set during the time of Ajora, or the Beoulve ancestor that Altima mentioned during the final battle, but I think the Ivalice timeline has been whored out to the mainline Final Fantasy series too hard to make that work, unless you decided to flush it all and focus only on FFT.

As for a proper sequel... I don't know. Some steam punk shit in Romanda, maybe? Something along the lines of Vagrant Story? Whatever the case, no Ramza at all. I've always believed Ramza and the others died beneath Murond and thus were never heard from again, so they wouldn't get anything more than a casual mention at best. Olan could make a cameo at least, as he's busy investigating a lot of different angles and seeking the truth.
>>
>>3563782
I don't think you even necessarily need a storyline sequel. Similar gameplay with a new historical-ish conflict with the nameplates filed off would certainly suffice. An FFT Thirty Years War, for example, or you could transpose things away from medieval Europe entirely and do like an FFT Sengoku or Romance of the Three Kingdoms conflict.
>>
>>3565789
And now my dreams of a Dynasty Warriors SRPG are rekindled...
>>
>>3563782
PREQUAL
FIGHT AS BALBANES IN 50 YEARS WAR
DARK AND GRITTY AS FUCK
NO MAGIC SPIRIT HOOPLAH
FUND IT
>>
File: fft-zalbaag-beoulve.jpg (82KB, 520x720px) Image search: [Google]
fft-zalbaag-beoulve.jpg
82KB, 520x720px
Is there a pastebin or imgur or something with HQ art from FFT?

I'm going to be running a FFT Zodiac Brave themed game of Mafia and I'd like to use high quality character art. Every player is going to be one of the Zodiac Braves.
>>
>>3561981
Crisis core is a rancid turd
>>
>>3561981
Dirge and Crisis Core are both awful.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.