[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discovering Amiga. I have to say, setting up the emulator to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Amiga_-_Commodore.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga_-_Commodore.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
Discovering Amiga. I have to say, setting up the emulator to work was a complete chore and has to be the most convoluted process I've ever went through, but I think I managed to get it to work. Post games with good gameplay.
>>
>>3559257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlo6l8NzR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brRfKerQ9vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc13_0voSEU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mxj2I3Z6WQ
>>
>>3559387
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvlCFvtuZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVFX6uzzxDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDYa-YJbL90
>>
>>3559257
Play the amiga SSI games and dungeon master. Also fate: gates of dawn.
>>
I recommend Banshee
>>
>>3559257
I imagine it could be very confusing for someone who's never used a floppy let alone booted an OS off one.
I wouldn't waste your time looking for "good gameplay". Bubble Bobble for the Amiga is an excellent port and has great game play. I played hundreds of hours of it on my Amiga nearly 30 years ago. Today there is no reason to play it on an Amiga or Amiga emulator.
Xenon has great game play. I played hundreds of hours of that as well. Probably no reason to play that either unless you giggle when someone says "artificial difficulty".
Banshee was good. Same goes for sotb and turrican. Those are some games you just have to try on the Amiga because they were so popular.
You should check out pioneer plague specifically because the game play is shit but it uses HAM.
>>
>>3559257
"gameplay" is probably the Amiga's weakest point. Games look and sound beautiful but controls and mechanics pretty much universally feel stiff and unresponsive. Check out Damage. I also kind of like Exile.
>>
There is a good version of Galaga. Cannon Fodder was fun back then but could be annoying now.
>>
>>3559257
Cannon fodder
Jetstrike
Chaos Engine
Leander is alright
>>3559486
This guy gets it
>>3559873
>Bubble Bobble for the Amiga is an excellent port
No it's not, it was ported from the Atari ST instead of from the arcade. It runs at a snails pace.
There are very few good arcade ports on the Amiga but one of them is Rod Land.
>Xenon
>Banshee
>sotb
>turrican
Those range from average to downright awful.
>>
>>3560943
How can Banshee and Turrican be average if they were made for the Amiga? You won't find a better version out there.
>>
File: heh.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>3560943

>Rod Land
>>
>>3560943
Shadow of the Beast was made for the Amiga.
>>
File: kult.jpg (192KB, 500x611px) Image search: [Google]
kult.jpg
192KB, 500x611px
>>3559257

If you're console gamer you'd probably enjoy a fast-paced platformer like Wolfchild or maybe Turrican. Another less known platformer is Super Cauldron. Any of the Pools series for wRPGs or Buck Rogers if you're a bit sick of fantasy settings. Best racing game on Amiga is Lotus IMO; avoid the sequels. Fightin Spirit is a very good fighting game. If you're looking for point 'n' click games, just go for the obvious Monkey Island series. A more obscure alternative is KULT.
>>
>>3561148
>Best racing game on Amiga is Lotus IMO; avoid the sequels

Can you elaborate? How come? I've never heard anyone saying that the sequels are inferior to the original game. If anything, they should've improved on the original game and since they made 3 of them, I assumed that was the case.
>>
>>3560943
There are plenty of shit arcade ports for the Amiga but there are plenty of good ones as well. I'd say it's about 50/50.
Speed isn't game play but if bubble bobble is running that slow for you your emulator must be configured wrong.
>>
File: 675643344643.png (574KB, 1150x638px) Image search: [Google]
675643344643.png
574KB, 1150x638px
>>3561149
Lotus was very popular so of course they'd make sequels, but that doesn't make them better. This is sometimes true for games in general. Earthworm Jim and Strider are some examples out of my head.

Compared to II, the original Lotus had the advantage of being an actual racing game as opposed to a dull time trial with nothing more about it. On top of that, the gameplay was smoother and less unforgiving. Graphically wise it looks just the same or even better than the sequels. Being in fullscreen doesn't add much to the sequels when 2/3 of the screen is a flat background, most of which just a dull empty screen which is very noticeable on downhills (pic related). This is ugly.

It's been a while since I last played the third game, so I can't say anything more about it other than the framerate being choppier. Also, I never said they were necessarily inferior, but they didn't improve over the first game. Perhaps 'avoid' was somewhat harsh, but if one's to pick one of them, the original is still the best option.
>>
>>3560943
Banshee is great.
>>
>>3561149
>>3561375
>>3561149
He is correct. The sequels are inferior. You have to really get into the first game to understand, but its racing mechanic is superior, and there's a lot of refinement to the tracks. There's a reason Lotus backed it with the license, when such things were almost meaningless in financial or other terms. In fact, Lotus 1 remains my favourite scaling racer, above outrun or anything else, for that reason. You can play it with a wheel on like 400% too, but it's probably better on a stick or controller first up.

In 2 they went for log-jumps and yee-haws instead of actual racing. The game is all moment-to-moment, no planning overtakes to avoid difficult corners or anything like that. No sense that you've discovered a new class of motorsport.

2 *is* inferior to 1, though 2 is still a great game. 3 is steaming dog-turd, don't let the track generator fool you. The gameplay is atrocious, choppy, under-detailed and massively overwrought. The baseline A500 couldn't handle what they tried to do to it, and the game as a whole suffers.
>>
>>3563813
Oh, and my own recommendations are:

Exile
Odyssey

Both by Audiogenic. Both incredible games that need more love. Both are action adventure, the second does it as a platformer with devious puzzles. Both have a funky sense of physics too. And neither will crop up on anyone's best-of list ;)
>>
>>3561037
>How can Banshee and Turrican be average if they were made for the Amiga?
I never said they were ports, i said Bubble Bobble and Rod Land are ports. Also:
Turrican has rubbish controls, awful level design, really poor difficulty pacing, no feedback when you get hit by an attack etc etc etc. Wonderful music though.
Banshee is just an ordinary shmup, there is nothing that sets it apart, it's also very slow, has a low framerate, and is very repetitive.
>>3561247
No it's configured correctly, Bubble Bobble is just a shitty ST port.
>>3562243
Play some arcade/pc engine/saturn/mega drive shooters and then try Banshee again.
>>3563821
Amen brother.
>>
The Amiga had the best versions of a lot of games that were also on the ST and PC...

Lemmings
Deja Vu 1 and 2
Wings
Rocket Ranger
It Came from the Desert
Elvira 1 and 2

You might not think these games hold up, though. It's October so at least give Elvira a shot. Pretty spoopy fun,
>>
SWOS
>>
File: in to the trash it goes.png (190KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
in to the trash it goes.png
190KB, 300x400px
>>3563851
>any game i can't git gud at is rubbish
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.