[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just started this today. I swear, I must've attempted to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

File: 6796786807869.jpg (88KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
6796786807869.jpg
88KB, 640x640px
just started this today.
I swear, I must've attempted to play the whole game through some 5 times since it came out in the 90s. for some reason or another, I just never got to the end.
I think the furthest I ever got was like, floor 20 in the tower.
anyway, what are some tips or overall info I should know about?

also, Nico is best girl..
>>
>>3555840
I should go back and play that myself someday. Only ever rented it and liked it, but didn't get around to picking it up. Sorry I can't help more.
>>
File: 654746856.gif (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
654746856.gif
33KB, 250x250px
>>3555847
for the longest time, I thought rogue-like games were a lot of fun, but that's mostly because of how many things this one did right:

>town building aspect
>monster taming system complete with fusion option
>tasteful waifu simulator
>addicting and fast paced dungeon exploration
>>
>>3555857
Roguelikes are one of my favorite genres, but they're not for everyone and even though the genre is fairly tightly defined the types of games you get out of it vary greatly. So it's possible to love one game but not like a bunch of others.

This thread has inspired me to go dig up a rom and give this game another whirl.
>>
File: 976960780978.jpg (78KB, 480x340px) Image search: [Google]
976960780978.jpg
78KB, 480x340px
>>3555857
forgot to mention the kickass soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naYN4NrPtnc
to this day, if I start whistling any variation of that main melody, my buddies who played the game with me some 17 years ago can still recognize where it's from. it's just so memorable.

>>3555861
I agree, but I really haven't found any other rogue-like I enjoyed quite as much as azure dreams.
was thinking about trying dragon fin soup a while ago, but never got around to it.
>>
File: oryu.jpg (60KB, 120x160px) Image search: [Google]
oryu.jpg
60KB, 120x160px
>>3555880
Which other ones have you tried? I shill it a lot here in general, but Shiren might actually appeal to you specifically a fair bit. It's also Japanese, has a really nice aesthetic as well as some persistence (though not as much as AD) which makes it feel a little more like a "normal" game.
>>
File: 879684566758.jpg (118KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
879684566758.jpg
118KB, 500x468px
>>3555883
yeah, I tried shiren on the SNES. it was ok, but I definitely remember there being some things I thought were annoying/bad idea to include in the game. don't recall what, exactly.

out of the top of my head, I played:
>one of the pokemon mistery dungeon games; all i remember is, it had really fugly graphics
>chocobo dungeon on ps1; game got really repetitive pretty fast. combat wasn't much fun. dungeons were boring
>chocobo dungeon on wii; looked ok. was interested in the class system, but never played it too much. I do remember the pointless FF-esque story getting in the way
>torneko on the SNES; seemed alright, but didn't really grab me. felt like it was too "basic" or barebones something

I think there was another one I tried on the DS, but I can't remember what it was.
>>
File: elona019846_12132741.jpg (309KB, 806x632px) Image search: [Google]
elona019846_12132741.jpg
309KB, 806x632px
>>3555898
Okay, those are all Chunsoft's mystery dungeon series and they're all pretty similar. Personally I love Shiren the Wanderer, but think they've consistently dropped the ball since then. Most of their roguelike games are made to be fairly easy, but with this genre that really just means you get a boring game in the end. Also they tend to load them up with long, bad storytelling. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is decent, but not amazing in my opinion.

Depending on what you didn't like about SNES Shiren, the genre in general may not be to your liking. But that said, I would recommend checking out Elona if you get curious to try them some more. It's another Japanese roguelike that's a bit more like a blend between a traditional roguelike and a JRPG. Fairly casual (no real permadeath) but well balanced and focused on fun. Should still be free too.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBlqEII7C_A
one of those things I listen to when I'm trying to convince myself there's purpose to life

Fur is best girl Nico a shit
>>
>>3555936
>I would recommend checking out Elona if you get curious to try them some more. It's another Japanese roguelike that's a bit more like a blend between a traditional roguelike and a JRPG. Fairly casual (no real permadeath) but well balanced and focused on fun.
Also you can prostitute yourself to canines.
>>
>>3555967
>>3555967
Yeah I never delved too deep into it, but I think it caters to some anime fetishes as well.
>>
>>3555992
I honestly end up playing Snow Maiden Eve instead nowadays, Elona is just a huge time-sink
>>
File: p2.png (18KB, 482x385px) Image search: [Google]
p2.png
18KB, 482x385px
>>3555997
I hear ya. Even though I still love the genre, I don't have the time for a lot of the big ones anymore and dying after 20 or 30 hours into a run can be a drag.

These days I like to go for smaller games closer to Rogue than Nethack or Angband. Not really retro, but it's never stopped me from shilling Powder around here before. Pretty close to my perfect vision of a roguelike.
>>
File: 67698767968.png (124KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
67698767968.png
124KB, 640x446px
do the descriptions from the restaurant dishes make anyone else hungry?..

"This tempura uses seasonal vegetables and seafood. The raw ingredients are covered in batter and then fried quickly at high temperatures, so you get tempura that is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside." *munch munch*
>>
>>3555840
U can throw stuff at the barong monster and he throws up another item, this is useful for obtaining red and blue sand, also roche fruits (turns monsters into eggs)
The best combination of weapon and shield is trained wand wich can be obtained from the barong (since it can be tempered with red sand, doesn't rust and increases your mix dmg) and mirror shield (can be tempered with blue sand, doesn't rust and in most cases it reflects magic back to the caster)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.