[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain how the this setup would be inferior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg (135KB, 1705x425px) Image search: [Google]
Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg
135KB, 1705x425px
Can someone please explain how the this setup would be inferior to using a framemeister?
I still own my original snes although it currently just has composite cables.
>>
>>3555548
What is that, SCART to component? I mean, I doubt it'll work, you'll need a cable with a box on it to convert or an internal mod to your console.

If you're using PAL, which I hope not, then you're wasting your time anyway because anything you get out will be 50hz garbage.

People like Framemeisters because they add in some dumb scanline shit to try and hide how bad the picture looks on a HDTV. Just emulate if you're too stupid to buy a CRT.
>>
>>3555551
I'm using PAL - so you're saying anything including framemeister will look shit on a hdtv because of that?
>>
>>3555562
You shouldn't own anything PAL. It looks like shit on anything, 50hz is for retards.
>>
>>3555565
I'm from Australia, and the PAL snes is what I have from my childhood.
Well at least I can play NTSC ROMs on my Wii
>>
File: ridgydidgemate.jpg (32KB, 350x240px) Image search: [Google]
ridgydidgemate.jpg
32KB, 350x240px
>>3555548
This won't work because the rgb adapter you've got in the middle there won't magically convert rgbs signals to component. Snes never had component. You need either a ~$70 converter (search for Cypress CSY-2100, there are knockoffs that are supposedly ok)between the 2 cables or an internal mod to your snes. All this will still look pretty awful on a modern lcd however because pretty much all of them can't scale a double-strike signal for shit.
Fellow australiakun here. If you're going to get any further into this I would get a cheap super senpai + mega drive psu + an everdrive to avoid heartache later.
>>
>>3555586
so a superfam psu can make my snes do 60Hz?
Or is the snes I own a lost cause?
>>
>>3555586
Or he just needs a tv with SCART input so he can use RGB.
>>
File: 1460352992416.jpg (183KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1460352992416.jpg
183KB, 1600x1200px
>>3555593
>so a superfam psu can make my snes do 60Hz?
no sorry, you can get a super famicom for like 40 bucks on ebay and use all your controllers and shit. You just need a aussy megadrive model 1 power adapter to power it(plugging the jap transformer in will kill your superfamicom).

To get your pal snes to do 60hz (and actually play jap/us games) is tricky and expensive and really not worth it with such cheap super famicoms lying around. The only games you won't be able to play due to lockout/language barrier are super mario rpg and... that's about it.

>>3555596
well yeah that, but scart wasn't widespread here like it was in europe. Only a few highend brands had it.
>>
>>3555612
My TV has it.
>>
>>3555612
>To get your pal snes to do 60hz (and actually play jap/us games) is tricky and expensive
No it isn't. Not at all. It's a simple mod that requires only a little bit of soldering.
>>
>>3555617
any good guides for that? By doing that, do you forfeit the ability to play your pal cartridges?
>>
>>3555562
PAL video won't look any worse than NTSC, it's just 50fps instead of 60fps. Modern screens will always just handle standard definition video badly, regardless of if you have PAL or NTSC.

>>3555612
A 60hz mod and switch for the lock out is like 10 minutes work if you're not retarded.
>>
>>3555617
>>3555619
also keen to know if N64 can be modded in this way
>>
>>3555623
N64 50/60 is completely software driven
>>
>>3555620
>A 60hz mod and switch for the lock out is like 10 minutes work if you're not retarded.
lifting pins is not fun or for a beginner
>>
>>3555626
so playing an ntsc rom via everdrive from a pal N64 = 60Hz?
>>
>>3555632
no
>>
>>3555632
>>3555634
Yes.

Playing an NTSC ROM on a PAL N64 will give you PAL60. 100%.
>>
Is the snes like the genasis/megadrive where pal games will play at 60hz on an NTSC console?
>>
File: scart to yuv.jpg (21KB, 327x264px) Image search: [Google]
scart to yuv.jpg
21KB, 327x264px
>>3555548
Basically there are two problems. First, that thing in your third picture doesn't appear to be a transcoder, it just looks like some kind of breakout that MAYBE puts the sync on green. Unless your TV's component inputs support RGsB which is unlikely and I'm not about to look up for you, and it doesn't even break out audio so you'd still have no sound.

The second problem that you would run into even if you did use a proper "Scart to YUV" transcoder with an audio breakout isn't necessarily as game breaking but you would still be sending a 240p signal over component to your TV and relying on its internal upscaler to display. Most HDTVs can do this but the quality and delay varies widely. The best way to discover if your specific TV performs acceptably (to you) displaying 240p over component is to use a PS2 with component cables to play a PS1 game with all enhancements disabled.
>>
Oh, also - I've seen that somebody is producing component cables for SNES and Genesis that have an RGB transcoder built into them. It would only work for that one console but it's less cabling to worry about fucking up.
>>
>>3555659
that sounds like it would be ideal
>>
>>3555659
>>3555662
just did a quick search and i take it you're referring to these. It says they're sold out though for snes.
If I could get my hands on some I don't think I'd bother with a framemeister. Maybe I'd attempt that 60Hz mod
>>
>>3555676
http://www.hdretrovision.com/snes/
forgot to post link
>>
>>3555662
Assuming your TV displays 240p over component acceptably to you

https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/all

aaaaand unfortunately it looks like the SNES cable is sold out.
>>
>>3555657
So framemeister allows SNES to not look like shit on a HDTV, in a way that no other option can provide?

>delay varies widely
So upscaling via HDTV = input lag?
>>
>>3555650
Just like the Mega Drive, it depends on the game. The SNES has more region locking than the MD. MD games before 1993 are rarely region locked, while basically all SNES games are region locked.
>>3555619
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snes-5060hz-switch-with-lockout-switch/
>>
>>3555759
thanks brah
>>
>>3555713
Yeah, basically. Some HDTVs have native scart but they still rely on their internal upscalers. Chances are extremely, extremely high that even if your TV supports RGB or you transcode from RGB to YPbPr (component) that your TV's internal upscaler will still be inferior to a high end dedicated upscaler like a framemeister. It's also worth noting that even a framemeister will give you a minimum of 1 frame delay as it has to receive an entire frame before it can upscale it. AFAIK there's no way around that other than using a CRT or emulation.
>>
>>3555776
By the way, if you want to play some of the classic games but don't want to pay the ridiculous Australian prices you can just import them from Japan. While Castlevania IV and Super Metroid fetch $80+ in Australia, they're usually $20-$30 from Japan. The shipping to Australia is cheap, too.
>>
>>3555787
interesting stuff
is 1 frame delay noticeable?
I thought that emulators were more prone to input delay
>>
>>3555565
>t. hue adjuster
>>
>>3555789
cool, I've become much more interested in my old consoles with the increasing realisation of how bad modern vidya is.
While I'm at it, I think my controllers might need replacement rubber pads, since the dpad no longer feels very tactile. Any recommendations?
>>
>>3555794
It's very unlikely that you will notice 1 frame of delay. We're also getting to a point in discussion now where we should try our best to define the difference between DELAY and LAG which is still kind of being ironed out. One is the time it takes between when an action happens and it is displayed on the screen which I personally try to call "delay". The other is the time it takes between when you press a button on your controller and that action occurs in the game which I personally try to call "lag". Yes, emulation can definitely have "input lag" which can be much more frustrating but is also easier to correct through software configuration or using different controllers or controller adapters. It can also be more noticeable as it can vary while "display delay" is almost always constant and most players will adjust to when playing most games that don't require split-second timing. One very popular game that is good to gauge on is Punch-Out as it does gradually demand greater and greater split-second timing as you progress and can be a direct indicator of how responsive your setup is.
>>
>>3555809
The best way to find out is to open it up and check. You could probably fix it, but it isn't like SNES controllers are expensive. They haven't quite been flooded with cheap knock offs in the way that, say, the Gamecube controller has.
I use Super Famicom controllers usually. I'm not sitting far from the console, so the short cord means it doesn't get in the way like a Mega Drive controller does.
>>
>>3555759
Ugh ill stick to emulation
>>
>>3555565
The console itself still looks 100x better than the purple fischer price shit that was the USA SNES.
>>
>>3555887
At least the games aren't butchered. 50Hz forever.
>>
Another question;

These framemeisters and N64 ultrahdmi mods; they're just for 1080p, right? So if we get 4K tv's, we'd have to buy some new upscaler of re-mod the n64?
Fuck I wish you could still buy new CRT's
>>
>>3555891
In a sense they were butchered before that with NTSC, if everyone used PAL we could've had better chroma and more pixels and by the time 60fps mattered all PAL tvs used 60hz anyway
>>
>>3556859
I seriously doubt that would be the case. Built in TV Scalers aren't shit. They're shit for 480i and below typically, but they're generally not shit. You never hear anyone complain about 720p scaling lag on a 1080p TV because it's a non-issue. TV manufacturers invest way more in making more common resolutions (You know, not the 1980's industry standard of 240p) look better. I would hope 1080p content would look just as good on a 4K TV, if not better than it looks on a 1080p TV.
>>
>>3555551
What I don't get is the people who use the framemeister with a CRT. Why?

Regular RGB into CRT will look the same and doesn't cost $400.
>>
>>3556894
Who are these people who do that?
>>
>>3556874
>by the time 60fps
60fps mattered even before TVs were invented, it's a matter of human biology. Low persistence is the only way to get high motion quality from these low framerates. 60Hz flicker is mildly annoying, 50Hz is literally nauseating unless you actually obey all those warnings about bright room/sit a long way away. Flicker perception is no-linear.
>>
>>3557130
>Flicker perception is no-linear

Do you have a single scientific study to back that up
>>
>>3556891
>Built in TV Scalers aren't shit. They're shit for 480i and below typically, but they're generally not shit. You never hear anyone complain about 720p scaling lag on a 1080p TV because it's a non-issue.

Scaling 480i means that the signal has to be decoded from RF/composite/component/s-video, de-interlaced, digitized, pasteurized, and then scaled to 1080p.

720p to 1080p is basically just resizing an image coming from the hdmi/dvi.
>>
>>3557229
Just look at the fucking screen.
50Hz = painful
60Hz = annoying
70Hz = barely noticeable
80Hz = zero flicker (note that flicker is not the same as phantom array effect)
>>
>>3557256
can you get 60Hz CRT's in Australia?
>>
>>3557310
Pretty much any PC monitor CRT will sync from 50Hz to 80Hz.
>>
>>3557310
Just about anything from the mid-90s forward shouldn't have an issue displaying in 60hz.

Something people don't like to take into consideration when talking about flicker is the phosphor persistence. A CRT with longer persistence phosphors won't looks as bad with lower refresh rates as one with very short persistence phosphors, as they'll continue to emit light longer, and as such the drop out between one field/frame won't be as apparent.

>>3557332
Even low end PC CRTs (70khz Horizontal) should have no issues with 120hz, they only problem is how low of a resolution you have to run in order to achieve that.
>>
>>3555548
>framemeister
Emulation > Paying several hundred US dollars for a scanline filter.
>>3555713
>So upscaling via HDTV = input lag?
Sure does.
>>3557310
Any CRT here from the last 20 years or more will display 60hz.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.