[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the NES still so relevant today? I mean the NES Mini

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: NES.jpg (112KB, 1600x926px) Image search: [Google]
NES.jpg
112KB, 1600x926px
Why is the NES still so relevant today?

I mean the NES Mini isn't the cause of it, it's a consequence of it. There's a market for the hype on the little fucker.

But why does the general public care so much more about the NES right now in 2016 than they do the Super Nintendo, or the Genesis, or the PS1?
>>
Some exceptionally good games on the system that people find to be timeless and/or iconic.
>>
>>3555373
You can thank AVGN for that, as well as the inflated market.
>>
>>3555384
pretty much this
started the fire and the fire spread all over with retro in general
>>
because it has game. ppl like game. fun.
>>
>>3555384

People give him way too much credit. For his first 6 years he tended to review the worst of worst. He reminded people how much dogshit there was out there.

The retro phenomenon happened naturally, and it happened long before youtube existed. Back in college in the late 90s it was emulators that got most people interested in replaying the old games again (nesticle in particular). Some enjoyed it enough to go and dig their old console out of storage and go find some games.
>>
It's old enough to be vintage and 80s, which are very popular right now.
>>
Every day another 16-19 year old discovers that liking a console that was outdated before they were born can make them feel special, cultured, and totally not like those other ignorant kids with their mainstream PS4s and XBOX ONEs.
>>
Because the NES had an extremely wide appeal, just like another Nintendo console that came out relatively recently.

The system has a metric fuck-ton of great games and they're for the most part no-frills affairs. They stick to the meat and potatoes of gaming.
>>
>>3555462
>they stick to thr meat and potatoes of gaming

ROB, Power Glove, Virtual Boy, Game Boy Camera, Game Boy Printer, and e-Reader would like a word with you

Nintendo loves gimmicky peripherals
>>
File: robglove.jpg (8KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
robglove.jpg
8KB, 320x240px
>>3555486
forgot pic
>>
>>3555486
>R.O.B.
He was only created to sell the NES as a toy instead of a gaming console.

>Power Glove
That was Mattel.

>Virtual Boy, Game Boy Camera, Game Boy Printer, and e-Reader
What do any of those things have to do with the NES?
>>
>>3555417
>People give him way too much credit.
Amen.

>Back in college in the late 90s
You're right, but you have to understand that the majority of users here weren't even alive in the 90s, so they don't even consider the history from that time when they concoct their pet theories about how/when/why things happened. Much like the "AVGN made retrogaming a thing" thing. But you can see why someone born in the early 2000s would come to such a conclusion. It's the only world they've lived in.
>>
>>3555373
you're too young to understand.
>>
I think the NES mini is a scheme by Nintendo to get those dank Black Friday shekels

I bet there will be fist fights in Best Buy over them
>>
>>3555373
A lot of it has to do with Pat the NES punk and his completely unnecessary lets plays. If you havent seen them yet, check them out
>>
>>3555686
You better bet people will gauge their eyes out over that thing
>>
>>3555702
Fuck off Pat.
>>
>>3555702
He just started those a week ago. You can't be trying to blame the entire popularity of a console on last week's news.
>>
>>3555373
Its cos of money. People with disposable income are marketed to. Its not just games, any anything for the 30+ set. Bands that we used to like are touring, and movies we used to like are being rebooted, cos we have the cash to pay for it.
>>
Because there are 20-somethings that never had one? Most that care still have their Snes and PlayStation
>>
pretty sure the SNES is more popular right now than the NES. Nintendo is probably testing the retro market with the NES Mini. Just wait, next year there'll be some sort of SNES rerelease. Hopefully like the Genesis mini, where it'll take carts and a SD card.
>>
>>3555486
There were 679 games released in North America, compared to a handful of gimmick peripherals. You dumb faggot.
>>
>>3555862
SNES is more popular with collectors, but the NES is far more popular with the general public. I see people wearing NES T-shirts with dumb slogans like "back in the day" or "clasically trained" all over the place.
>>
>>3555417
Many of the games he says SUCKS actually are ok
>>
>>3555702
Fuck off patrick
No one knows u exist
>>
>>3555373
The SNES is when games started catering to a more niche, "hardcore" audience and were aimed at the people who had been playing a ton of NES and wanted something more.

The NES was still very much a family focused system, with most of it's games made to appeal to a broad spectrum of people. It's probably why it feels more "classic" now.

Duck Hunt appeals to just about everyone. Super Metroid may be a "better" game, but appeals to a much narrower spectrum of gamer.
>>
>>3556015
Are u fucking kidding me?
The SNES is about the least hardcore you can get
Beating nes games actually felt like an accomplishment
>>
Cause is the first video game system faggot
>>
>>3556023
I'm not talking about difficulty as much as who the games were made for. Even though Super Metroid isn't what I'd call a hard game, it's a game made for "gamers" in a way a lot of NES stuff wasn't.

To this day you can put anyone in front of Duck Hunt, Excitebike or Dr. Mario and they both get it quickly and many find them appealing. A lot of the SNES library isn't like that, it's made to appeal to people who are already invested in gaming.
>>
>>3555417
Not necessarily true. Many of AVGN's more famous reviews, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, have been price hiked for way more than they have any right to be.
>>
>>3556130
>price hiked for way more than they have any right to be.

Daily reminder that that's what being into collector's items is like. None of these have a "rightful" value, it's all dependent on supply and demand influencing prices.
>>
>>3556152
>popular eceleb reviews thing
>youtube babbies all go buy it
Demand goes up
>>
>>3556158
Yeah. They're collector's items. That's the hobby you're into if you're into collecting. Deal with it.
>>
>>3555373
It is the first good console that had games that are still playable today.
Atari is just too primitive and was back in 1990
>>
>>3555605
Notice the word "REplaying". No sane mind is going to argue emulation wasn't there long before, but the sole reason retrogaming stopped being a niche hobby for oldfags that actually lived through these gens was literally youtube, indies and hipsters becoming a thing. Before that, kids would just go eeew old about everything that came out before they were born, now this shit is somehow trendy.
>>
>>3556248
>now this shit is somehow trendy.

So you're saying that these great games that we come to this board to discuss may well have been generally forgotten if a few fans of them didn't work to spread the word and proselytize how great they are to a whole new generation.

But this is all bad because why? They're young? They're "hipsters"? They're taking the games you would rather be collecting? Something else? I don't get it. I think kids getting into old games is awesome. I'm all for it. If it takes some guy on youtube, I'm okay with that too.
>>
>>3555373
>Indie is fashionable.
>Indie models on "retro" by making things 8-bit-like.
>NES was 8-bit.
>Stupid people will pay money for things they think are "in".

Pretty sure that sums it up.
>>
People born in the 80s growing up to be artists, writers and filmmakers.
>>
>>3555373
>But why does the general public care so much more about the NES right now in 2016 than they do the Super Nintendo, or the Genesis, or the PS1?
Why do more people still listen to Pink Floyd, the Beatles, and Bob Dylan than to Limp Bizkit, Smashing Pumpkins, and Korn?

Some generations (of music, video games, etc.) are just objectively better than others.
>>
Easy answer: it had a fantastic library other consoles could only dream of thanks to Nintendo's shitty business practices.
>>
>>3556821
Nice cherrypicking
>muh generashin
>>
>>3555520
Thanks generic google search.
>>
>>3555373
Because it looks good on a shelf. Nobody can deny a NES and NES cart look neat.
But as time goes on, much like the Atari 2600, interest will wane. At the end of the day, most people are collecting for Nostalgia nonsense, buying a NES and playing Back to the Future on it. Then trading it back in a couple months later.
The NES signifies when Gaming was at it's peak mainstream appeal. Give it 15 years and people are gonna be jerking off over their Wii's just the same, talking about how the Wii "saved" gaming or whatever.
It's all revisionist fanboyism reflected through a largely American lens. People like the games they were exposed to and most people were exposed to NES. So they invent reasons to make it more special or important and compete financially for a piece of that through collecting.
Ask a Japanese gamer about their X68000 or a European about their Amiga or Commodore. It's all relative.
The real question to ask is: Why would someone think the NES is IRrelevant?
We all love the NES sure, but if someone lived in a vacuum, what makes the NES more interesting than a newer console?
>>
>>3555384
>AVGN

Bullshit, since AVGN is mainly a US thing. Quite unknown in other countries.

It's just mainly the current generation that is now >30 and feeling nostalgic and buying back their childhood. And of course this will naturally inflate the marked.
Fuck those overpriced Resellerscum anyway they exaggerate it.
>>
>>3555373
Because the NES literally saved home consoles after Atari's fiascos, there are so many amazing games that are still fun to play to this day.
>>
File: pat_pic.jpg (256KB, 714x401px) Image search: [Google]
pat_pic.jpg
256KB, 714x401px
You can thank Pat the NES Punk nd his completely unnecessary podcast and completely unnecessary lets plays
>>
>>3556829
That's pretty accurate.
>>
>>3555823
>You better bet people will gauge their ears out over that thing
>>
>>3557393
Fuck off Ian.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.