[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which older games do you think would have benefited most from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: 1455265287040.png (139KB, 628x238px) Image search: [Google]
1455265287040.png
139KB, 628x238px
Which older games do you think would have benefited most from modern technology/visuals? For example, compare the original 1997 Final Fantasy VII to the upcoming remake.

Conversely, do you think there are any newer games that would have been better games if made for older platforms? I think it's interesting to think about how today's games would have turned out were they developed and released during previous generations.
>>
File: 1423707062008.jpg (36KB, 414x329px) Image search: [Google]
1423707062008.jpg
36KB, 414x329px
>>
I think racing games get pretty much objectively better with better graphics and physics even if the older ones retain their charm
>>
>>3548470
the jumping flash series would be way better then it already is and beautiful if made today
>>
>>3548683

JF really was the only good platformer in first person.
The way it's implements and how you can control your jets depending on how much you press the button, and also being able to calculate how you're gonna fall between falling speed and distance, made it quite a unique experience. Jumping on modern first person platformers go for a "realistic" cinematic style, with parkour cutscenes, but it has no real "platforming" element to them, it's just a first person shooter with cool jumping visuals, slower too.

Exact was dissolved and its members scattered throughout SCEJ, I wonder if they're even still there.
>>
File: al_moebius001_venise_celeste.jpg (301KB, 800x1053px) Image search: [Google]
al_moebius001_venise_celeste.jpg
301KB, 800x1053px
Thinking realistically about it, adventure games seem like they would have the most benefit. Most of the time they focus on the visuals and atmosphere, so anything that increases the fidelity of those would be a benefit.

For a lot of older games, the simplicity of the graphics helps you parse everything easier and make sense out of everything. For arcade racers, really bold colors and clean visuals lets you react faster. Shooters and action games try to keep a very distinct look for each element and not let the screen get too visually noisy.

One of the things that really annoys me in modern shooting games is how all the detail obscures who and what you're supposed to be shooting at. High frequency textures are everywhere, there's always dust, or simulated crap all over the camera, lots of debris and particle effects everywhere. It looks impressive and realistic, but the downside is that it slows down the pace of the game so much. I think this is one of the things that killed UT3, and lead to the modern state of shooters.

And since this seems to be a big rambling post, I honestly think a classic late 80's/early 90's style CRPG would be mind blowing with todays tech. Grimrock 1 and 2 knocked my socks off, and I'd be thrilled to see a huge RPG with a focus on great mechanics and dungeons with a large budget. Turn based combat could work too, as the xcom reboots have proved.
>>
>>3548470
Any game with excessive fog.
>>
>>3548573
Are you saying Metroid, or Super Mario RPG, or perhaps a third, orangutan related option?
>>
>>3548928
Super Mario RPG
>>
I just want Star-Wars Shadows of the Empire.

They don't even need to add cut-scenes, I just want a nice pretty remake.
>>
>>3548948
Super Mario RPG in full HD would be pretty sick unless Nintendo decided to completely overhaul the aesthetics of the game to match their current playskool image that they've went with ever since New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario 3D Land.
>>
File: 1370231281050.jpg (45KB, 425x315px) Image search: [Google]
1370231281050.jpg
45KB, 425x315px
>>3548965
Agreed. Paper Mario would be very pretty in HD as well. If only Color Splash wasn't so shitty.
>>
>>3548470
Pretty much the entire 5th gen library is blurry/artifacty/low framerate shit.
>>
A top-down Majora's Mask (maintaining all the sidequests and time system) would be fascinating. Guitar Hero could have worked fine on the Sega Genesis with a peripheral. Nintendo Land could have worked on the Gamecube using the GBA Link Cable. Portal would have worked just fine on N64. Neopets for the Dreamcast would have been a trip, if the VMU was integrated as some sort of virtual pet. Timesplitters needs a reboot. A modern Doshin the Giant using VR could be fun if it was done properly. If vector graphics stuck around, any arcade FPS with 3D rendering would have looked godlike, even if just in black-and-white. If linked arcade racing units were still a thing, co-op mode in GTA would be a blast, but parents would have never allowed it.
>>
File: 1475762809237.jpg (17KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
1475762809237.jpg
17KB, 222x227px
>>3548470
Modern tech / visuals? And lose that retro feel?
No thanks
>>
>>3548915
die already. go fucking play yu-no. no modern game could wish of being as immersive.
>>
File: o7Ri6.jpg (233KB, 1691x640px) Image search: [Google]
o7Ri6.jpg
233KB, 1691x640px
>>3548470
Pretty much every 3D retro game could have benefited the most from modern technology like higher resolutions and framerates, especially the N64(seriously, who the fuck though the secondary horizontal blur was a good idea). In contrast 2D retro games stand to gain almost nothing from modern technology, IMO some modern remakes of retro 2D games like Secret of Mana actually look worse than the original
>>
>>3550384
The iPhone version could do with better contrast but otherwise I think it looks nicer.
>>
>>3550410
Meh, personally I prefer the look of ultra sharp pixels for 2D games(hence why the N64 pisses me off so much) as opposed to the blurrier anti-aliased look of the remake but I understand that it's a matter of personal opinion
>>
prerendered shit like donkey kong country could be in 2.5d and use the original models
>>
>>3550384
>(seriously, who the fuck though the secondary horizontal blur was a good idea)

see ridge racer V on ps2
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.