[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else here play their NES games on one of these bad boys?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: NES-101-Console-Set.jpg (1MB, 3920x2120px) Image search: [Google]
NES-101-Console-Set.jpg
1MB, 3920x2120px
Anyone else here play their NES games on one of these bad boys? The RF-only sucks but I'm willing to put up with it for that pure reliability. It's super nice to be able to play a NES game without having to worry about it shitting itself due to faulty connectors.
>>
>>3538432
I have the Famicom version with av out. It's the best you can get without resorting to modded or canabalized consoles
>>
>>3538432

No one really does it anymore but an RGB modded Toploader is great.

Barring that (really expensive), if you want something reliable just go buy a Blinking Light Win from arcadeworks and install it in a toaster.

You'll still only get mono sound, but I find that the blinking light win makes it work 100% of the time.
>>
>>3538531
No. The best without modded would be a TwinFamicom.
>>
>>3538432
I need to buy one of those seems how they are the only NESs that still work.
>>
>>3538432
I do, but the jail bars bother me. I'll probably eventually lift pin 4 on the lockout chip of my toaster.
>>
>>3538548
>You'll still only get mono sound
That's how it should be.
>>
>>3538734
I've gotten used to the jail bars on mine. They're easy to push to the back of your mind when you realize that basically everyone used the RF connection back in the day and that it's just the Authentic Experience

Don't get me wrong if the toaster didn't rip itself to shreds every time you tried to use it i'd use that one over the toploader but fuck it, I've got a toploader and i'm not picky
>>
Someone around me is selling one brand new in the box for $120. Should I get it?
>>
>>3539010

Do you want an NES?

Honestly, the toploader is way over-rated.

RF sucks, and you need to do expensive mods to get away from it.

>>3538548
Blinking light win on a toaster is the way to go.
>>
>>3539059
>Do you want an NES?

Had the same one since I was 5 but it's giving me shit since I was 6. Heard the top loader doesn't have the same issues so a brand new NES without my childhood problems sounds great.
>>
>>3538668
Huh? My original NES works fine.
>>
>>3538432

>RF-only

Thanks but no thanks. I used to use RF video and it is beyond bad. I'm quite fond of the dogbone controller, however. Sure beats trying to grasp a brick.
>>
There's a clone of the toploader with A/V out selling for about $43 bucks on Aliexpress and it comes with a multicart that has all the best NES games on it.
>>
I have the famicom version i like it
>>
File: P8190080.jpg (549KB, 1208x1099px) Image search: [Google]
P8190080.jpg
549KB, 1208x1099px
>>3538432
>>3538548
>>3538668
You guys are all idiots.

Just get a frontloader for cheap, open it up, and cut pin 4 on the 10NES chip. There you go, all blinking light issues are gone.
>>
>>3539762
>>3538531
This. This is what I use myself and I recommend it.

My perfect setup:
- AV Famicom
- converter to play NES games on it
- Famicom everdrive n8
- classic NES pad to go with it (don't like the dogbones myself)
- also have a PAL NES for PAL games

That way you can play everything.
You'll need a power converter though but it's worth it.
>>
>>3538607
But the TwinFamicom has built-in controllers and only RF Output.
>>
>>3538432
I just have an AV Famicom. I'm not interested in the NES and it's oversized cartridges.
>>3539885
>also have a PAL NES for PAL games
Is it really worth it? I mean, are there any PAL-exclusive/better in PAL games for Nintendo's 8-bit system that are actually good?
>>
>>3540061
Yeah, there aren't many but a few. Astérix and The Smurfs for instance. Also the PAL version of SMB1 runs about 10% faster and is twice as fun because of that if you ask me..
>>
>>3538934
No, that's not how most people did it at all
>>
>>3539204
Link?
>>
>>3540056
Twin Famicom has composite
>>
>>3540083
It still has the built-in controllers.

I'd prefer to either play my FDS-games on an Everdrive or if I want better sound, use an actual RAM-adapter coupled with an FDSStick.
>>
>>3538432
Yes, I bought one used off Amazon a few years ago. It's never failed me.
>>
>>3540074
I play Probotector on my Famicom. The game wasn't optimized at all for PAL, so if it's run on an NTSC-console it plays just like Contra. I happen to like the robot characters better than the Rambo-clones.
>>
>>3538432
Got one years ago, RGB modded it a couple years back with that AV multiout style output - which is amazing, I can use S-Video on my CRT and RGB on my projector.

It's all about that classing blocky NES pad though. Or the NES Advantage. Not sure which I actually like more, depends on the game I guess.
>>
I've had two front loading NES for 30+ years I don't know what you mean by reliability issues.

All 4 original controllers work as well.

This is still the case with SNES, 64, Dreamcast, 360 and PS3.

Only the Sega CD and the PS1 conked- likely because they were first generation technology.

I think that these game systems are treated too harshly or left on too long the failure rate shouldn't be so high on the these front loader NES and the top loader NES.
>>
I have one but dont use it because my toaster has better video output and is just as reliable. A little maintanence will do you wonders.
>>
>>3538432
It doesn't "shit itself due to faulty connectors", it just simply doesn't warn you when there are potentially game breaking connection issues
>>
>>3538432
I use an AV famicom for most things, a regular famicom for proper mixing on JP Castlevania 3 the two or three times a year I play through it, and a frontloader NES for zapper titles cause I'd rather not mod the AV famicom and/or get a gun for the expansion port.

Almost considered a Analogue NT or an AVS just for better expansion mixing (and so VRC7 audio'll actually work on the everdrive) but I'll just emulate if I ever wanted to play Lagrange Point. Shit, sometimes I wonder why I don't just emulate everything.
>>
>>3539768
Yeah no. Cutting the lockout chip actually doesn't help that much.

What you -should- do is boil your 72 pin connector for 15 minutes.

Sounds insane, but it actually works. Cleans the pins and essentially resets them to close to factory new.

Cutting the lockout chip basically does nothing.
>>
>>3541094
>dfw opted for a refurbished NES with new 72-pin because I thought it was the best option
>new pin connector is shit already
>will never get the original pin connector back
>>
>>3539768
>>3541094
Huh, you still will have to deal with battery games having the false black screen of death that erases your save files and cant play the jaleco famicom carts like Ginga Daisakussen.
>>
>>3539885
You do not need a power converter for an AV Famicom if you're in the US.
>>
I think the faulty reliability of the Frontloader is exaggerated. I got a new 72-pin connector like a decade ago and it still works flawlessly. It was super tight at first and I didn't need to push the games down for them to work. It eventually loosened a little but I still didn't need to push the games down and never did which kept it from getting any looser.
>>
>>3539204
Let's see it hombre, I've only seen NOACs on AE.
>>
>>3541146
My NES is like this too, am I safe to refrain from pushing the carts down? I'm just worried I'll damage something somehow.
>>
>>3541094
And you really shouldn't cut the 10NES chip's pin anyway. If you REALLY want to disable it, there's a simple 2 wire mod that does the same thing but is completely reversible down the road.
>>
>>3539091
Same here.

Either the kiddies are buying garbage or someone is pulling their legs.
>>
>>3541094
Cutting the lockout chip fixes all blinking red light issues, the most common problem with the frontloader NES. It's absolutely worth it.
>>
>>3542017
What are the benefits of keeping it?
>>
>>3542867
There aren't any, just ignore the namefags. Also, buy a Famicom.
>>
I got an AV Famicom instead.

Honestly I think the NES/Famicom is kinda overrated, at least compared to the SNES/SFC and Genesis/MD..
>>
>>3543594
blasphemy
>>
>>3541871
As long as the games have a tight enough connection without being pushed down, it should be fine.
>>
What's with Nintendo kikeing out on video connections for their console revisions
>>
>>3545705
Everyone does it. Console revisiions are supposed to be cheap for people who are coming in late and just want a system to play. RF only was a mistake, but the NES2 was dirt cheap. The GCN for instance cut the component that basically no one was using to save costs, which made sense. Sucks for us in the future, but it is what it is.
>>
File: 1460809126570.jpg (217KB, 640x929px) Image search: [Google]
1460809126570.jpg
217KB, 640x929px
is this what I need to mod my av famicom? Is it the cheapest I can get it? (i live in australia)
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203&rn=522&action=show_detail
>>
considering an AV famicom simply because I bought a modded original famicom, and while it's cool, I don't like the controllers as much as I do the US ones.
>>
>>3547609
Yes to both questions. Are you comfortable with a soldering iron? The soldering itself isn't hard but desoldering the PPU without fucking up the chip or the traces is a bitch if you don't have good desoldering equipment.
>>
>>3547624
i'm ok at soldering but i don't have a solder sucker or anything like that. Best I could do is use braid. Would that do? Are you saying you don't have to resolder anything back in?
>>
>>3547841
Not him but the annoying part of desoldering NES components is that for whatever reason Nintendo used plated through-holes for the DIP chips. This means that the components are soldered on both sides of the board and there's solder also inside the hole. It's a pain in the ass to desolder with just sucker and braid and you are very likely to damage to PCB while desoldering.
>>
>>3538734
This, I played on a top loader for years and got used to the bars. Recently refurbished an old toaster that was given to me and it looks so much better even if it takes some work to get the games to load. Not sure if I could go back to the jail bars.
>>
>>3538934
Even with rf the original NES didn't have the jail bars. Even if you mod the top loader for AV it still has bars.
>>
>>3547903
>Recently refurbished an old toaster
Why the hell is the frontloader called "The Toaster"? Most toaster I've seen loads the bread from the top.
>>
>>3538607
A Sharp Famicom Titler is the best. S-video
>>
>>3548029
It uses the same PPU as the Playchoice-10 though, so the palette is really garish. This is the only official way to get RGB though.
>>
>>3548029
>S-video
What the fuck was the point with this?! Why not just start having pure RGB inputs even on American-sold TV sets instead of inventing another bullshit input?!
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.