[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was happening with Capcom's biggest franchises after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: Capcom_logo.png (88KB, 1280x234px) Image search: [Google]
Capcom_logo.png
88KB, 1280x234px
What was happening with Capcom's biggest franchises after around 1995?

Street Fighter:
—delayed SFIII, decision to stay 2D and make a new CPS3 board for it, met with lukewarm response
—very questionable jump to 3D with SF EX
—'cheaper' SFA which turned out to be franchise's last resort, and got shitty ports

Megaman:
—MM Legends
—MM64
—MMX series didn't jump to 3D and went downhill with every game

Final Fight:
—simply no follow-up for arcades
—2 cheap straight-to-SNES sequels
—fighting game no one needed or played

Of course at least they recuperated some of this with Resident Evil series and also Darkstalkers/Marvel games. But otherwise, what the fuck? Is it me, or they fucked up at least 3 HUGE franchises at the same time?
>>
>>3535523
Street Fighter Alpha came out before SF3, also Capcom were making other fighting games such as Vampire and the Marvel games at the time.
>>
They made Breath of Fire 3 and 4, which are the two best games of that franchise.
>>
>>3535545
That too, but was BoF big before 3? I don't know. I'm pretty certain no one gave a fuck about BoF before 3 in US.
>>
Final Fight 2 and 3 are pretty decent though and MM Legends is great.

>decision to stay 2D and make a new CPS3 board for it
You say that like it's a bad thing
>>
>>3535609
BOF was pretty big in the US, but mostly as a matter of people suddenly realizing that anything that said SQUARE on it was a good game, and the game seeing the huge sales spurt like a year after release due to some sort of collective gamer consciousness realizing it existed.

BOFII was an attempt to cash in on that in an attempt that mostly fell flat due to the over all lower quality of the game.

BOFIII was huge because the Dragon Gene system was fun as hell and the game was actually pretty solid.

BOFIV came at a time when JRPGs were saturating the market, and it's strictly Japanese-style story was off-putting and weird. (Bad guy gets away with everything, can't bother to redub the intro FMV, weird edits)
>>
>>3535523
>delayed SFIII, decision to stay 2D and make a new CPS3 board for it, met with lukewarm response
It was met with such a reception because they decided to use a totally new roster; threw in Ryu and Ken in the last second because everyone was hating it. Also the CPS3 hardware was EXTREMELY unreliable.

>very questionable jump to 3D with SF EX
I believe those were outsourced.

>'cheaper' SFA which turned out to be franchise's last resort, and got shitty ports
It got excellent ports. Even the Playstation ports were decent.

>MM Legends
It was a ton of fun.

>MMX series didn't jump to 3D and went downhill with every game
MMX was shit to begin with.

>Final Fight: —simply no follow-up for arcades
They were busy making better ones like D&D, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Armored Warriors, and The Punisher.

>2 cheap straight-to-SNES sequels
SNES couldn't really handle more, and on the Megadrive they would've looked like poor Streets of Rage clones.
And don't forget that they couldn't port their fancier arcade titles either because they were too big for the SNES, or because they didn't have the license.

>—fighting game no one needed or played
made by Capcom USA.

Don't forget that they were making all the Darkstalker games in the mean time, which were meant to replace Street Fighter. Then they made all the Marvel games. Then they made D&D games, Cyberbots, Warzard/Red Earth, Breath of Fire, etc...
>>
>>3535523
Street Fighter is just the same deal with most of their fighting games: normies REALLY don't get them, so unless you have a really good team calling the shots, you get weird shit.

Mega Man fell apart mostly because they couldn't figure out how to keep doing interesting shit with platformers, and the constant push to 3D at a time when the talent pool wasn't particularly large for that sort of thing meant you could do a 3D adaptation that was really bad.

Final Fight was never big. I mean it was a significant milestone for beat'em'ups, but its not like the weren't churning the things out left and right as it was, and the fact that the only particularly good version was the arcade cabinet meant it wasn't THAT significant on a larger scale.
>>
>>3535617
I'm not arguing about the quality of the games but rather sales. So yes, CPS3 was a suicide. Spending all that time on SFIII, delaying it until they had to release a half-baked version of it in 1997, after VF2 and Tekken 2, was a very poor decision on their part. Not to mention the game's ridiculous cast, Sean who didn't get popular neither in US nor in Japan, and the absence of most of the cast from previous games (they even planned to exclude Ryu and Ken).

As for FF sequels and MM Legends, they just weren't the games of the caliber needed. FF was pretty much a classic. MM got MMX which was a very good translation/upgrade of the old MM formula for SNES. Both got games which were just OK. No big budget, no ambitions—they felt like spin-offs rather than proper sequels.
>>
>>3535640
MMX series really was VERY good up until about 4, where they spent a fair amount on anime FMV only for it to be terribly dubbed to the point of mostly being a joke, with 5 and 6 being overall not very good follow ups due to their obviously cut budget, less satisfying plot elements, and rushed nature. That was the point the whole thing basically unraveled and no one knows what a good Mega Man looks like any more except for the NES ones and X1.

When you get down to it, Mega Man is basically a skin at this point, because all the mechanics have been grabbed and incorporated in to other games.
>>
>>3535623
>It was met with such a reception because they decided to use a totally new roster; threw in Ryu and Ken in the last second because everyone was hating it. Also the CPS3 hardware was EXTREMELY unreliable.
I played it, I think New Generation had a very wonky feel too. 3S fixed it, but I just can't play New Generation/2nd Impact anymore. Imbalance was also pretty noticeable, Alex's grab did a shitton of damage just like Shin Shoryuken.

> I believe those were outsourced.
Yes, they were: the question is, why? SF was their biggest IP, and yet when it came to taking it to 3D, they said "fuck it" and decided to just make a second-grade game.

> MMX was shit to begin with.
Uh-huh, did we play the same MMX?

> SNES couldn't really handle more
WHY make it for SNES then? Yes they had licenses. But still, FF had huge momentum, and they did nothing with it.

> Darkstalker games in the mean time, which were meant to replace Street Fighter.
I wonder how they were meant to do that when they were completely different from SF. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that people wanted proper Street Fighter III. What took them so damn long? Again, they fucked up all the momentum SF had. They bet everything on SFIII and it tanked.
>>
>>3535636
> Street Fighter is just the same deal with most of their fighting games: normies REALLY don't get them, so unless you have a really good team calling the shots, you get weird shit.
Didn't stop SFII, VF and Tekken from becoming huge. Tekken 3 is one of the best-selling PS games, along with FFVII and MGS. Now tell me how normies not getting them affected the sales.

> Mega Man fell apart mostly because they couldn't figure out how to keep doing interesting shit with platformers, and the constant push to 3D at a time when the talent pool wasn't particularly large for that sort of thing meant you could do a 3D adaptation that was really bad.
The problem is, they weren't even trying very hard.

Nintendo knew their main playing cards: Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart and so on. They spent big budgets on upgrading them and got good results. But Capcom seemingly didn't give a fuck about Megaman by that point.

> Final Fight was never big.
Wikipedia says that SNES version alone sold 1.48 million copies which isn't little. And it was a launch title.
>>
>>3535623
Also,

> They were busy making better ones like D&D, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Armored Warriors, and The Punisher.
> Then they made all the Marvel games. Then they made D&D games, Cyberbots, Warzard/Red Earth, Breath of Fire, etc...

That's the problem: they focused on arcades, when those were clearly heading to their demise. Their half-assed attempts for home consoles didn't pay off: aside from RE, only SFA3 sold big on PS One.
>>
>>3535698
>Now tell me how normies not getting them affected the sales.

I meant from a development perspective. Capcom had a team that developed Street Fighter 2 and understood how it worked. Then gen 5 comes along, a bunch of other developers are making games like Tekken, Soul Edge, etc, and the executives at Capcom say "Make one of those, but with Street Fighter" and the team is left wondering what the fuck they are supposed to do because that type of fighting game isn't what they developed, so they're left trying to either figure out how to turn a sprite based 2d fighting game in to a 3d one, or they ask some other development team to do it, and they fuck it up because THEY don't get it either.

>Wikipedia says that SNES version alone sold 1.48 million copies which isn't little.

But the franchise never broke out of 4th gen aside from an NES release, a game on Saturn, and a shitty cash grab on PS2. It was no where near as big a franchise as Mega Man or Street Fighter.
>>
>>3535717
>But the franchise never broke out of 4th gen aside from an NES release
That's exactly what I'm wondering about: WHY they didn't invest in it. Of course it didn't break out, when they decided to make FF2 on cheap for SNES only.
>>
>>3535706
Arcades were extremely strong in Japan up into the 00s.

They only tanked in the USA.
>>
>>3535729
>That's exactly what I'm wondering about: WHY they didn't invest in it.

Well, they DID invest in beat'em'ups in general, but the Final Fight franchise just wasn't that strong. Arguably, the whole genre basically died after 4th gen due to hardware limitations and most producers saying "fuck that 2d sprite shit, 3d or bust". Beat'em'ups basically being built on a whole bunch of enemies on screen meant that to do so on 5th generation consoles meant making the enemies look REALLY bad (Gauntlet Legends) or being stuck with 1 or 2 enemies at a time, which is really just a tournament fighter with worse mechanics.

By the time they resurged on 6th gen when you could actually have several high detail models on screen, the concept had evolved to the point of Musou games and brawlers.
>>
>>3535621
>can't bother to redub the intro FMV, weird edits
Capcom did that a lot with games back in the day. I remember that one Battle Network game on the Gamecube had entirely Japanese audio, for the gameplay and cutscenes.

It was either that or MMX4 tier voice acting, and I think they probably went with keeping the original VA work because holy shit was MMX4's voice acting bad.
>>
>>3535735
Still doesn't change the fact that they were making less money overall, since they were only able to get anything out of one out of three markets.
>>
>>3535735
Yeah, so that's why they stocked on Marvel, Alien and D&D licenses. Oh, and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs too. To appeal to Japanese market, right?

>>3535791
They made a ton of licensed beat em ups for arcades. They continued churning them out one by one. What prevented them for making good FF2 for arcades then? I'm talking about 1991–1995 period roughly. Of course with 5th gen it beat 'em ups quietly died out, but before that, there was Streets of Rage and the genre was still pretty active. They would've reigned supreme—just add more moves, improve the formula like Mighty FF did, make better graphics and voila. FF2 did none of that.
>>
>>3535523

SFA2 was one of the biggest fighting game hits of the mid 90s, and got a great Saturn port.
>>
>>3535545
That isn't saying much considering how mediocre BoF 1 and 2 were.
>>
>>3535545
You are a dumb fanboy.

>>3535621
>BOFII was an attempt to cash in on that in an attempt that mostly fell flat due to the over all lower quality of the game.
Funny to hear this from a fan of 1. Care to back up your claims with sale charts, annual reports, etc, and why is it inferior to 1?
>>
>>3535951
BoF2 with recent re-translation mod easily has the best story and dialogue of a SNES game.
>>
>>3535609
If it wasn't big, there wouldn't be sequels and sequels to sequels.
>>
>>3535621
>BOFIII was huge because the Dragon Gene system was fun as hell and the game was actually pretty solid.
6/10 at gamespot, critics pointed out at the game's being outdated as fuck (1997). In the same time BoF2 was praised for its story and characters. Dragon Gene is nothing in comparison to the systems 4 and 5 employed. Story and characters are less soulful than in 2. Filler like fetch quests that had nothing to do with story or character development. Fucking Rhapala roadblock.
>>
>>3536848
Now fastforward to this day and BoF2 is the only BoF game that has fanart, fan mods like re-translation, randomizer, character and monster editors.
>>
>>3536848
Also minigames, man. Fuck that mandatory bullshit.
>>
>>3536851
Only because the furries latched on to Katt and her lack of pants. Also being the only one that was translated so badly that it needs a retranslation says a lot.
>>
>>3536827
Well, in any case, I was referring more to Capcom's series which had big commercial momentum before, like SF, Megaman and a bit less so Final Fight. BoF appeared later, in 1993, and certainly wasn't the biggest money-maker for Capcom from the start.

It was also really different from the rest of Capcom's more arcade- or action-centric catalogue. Frankly, I hardly think "RPGs" when I think of older Capcom, they are kind of a different entity from arcade-style games. At least in the '90s, companies either made one or another—compare Square/Enix to Capcom/SNK (or even Nintendo, to an extent). Of course RPG companies like Square dabbled into action, fighting and even shmups, and vice versa. But mostly, they stayed in their "comfort zones". And I think it's safe to say Capcom's name was heavily associated with arcades and action games.
>>
BoF1 is only known in the US, as there is barely any fanart of it on pixiv.
>>
Best (and last good) thing Capcom's ever done is produced their shooter trinity: Progear, Giga Wing and 1944.

Weird how they went to shit after Sega died.
>>
>>3536869
If anything, it says there are fans of it willing to spent time doing tough work like re-translating the game and fans willing to play that.
>>
>>3536885
none of those were developed by capcom dumbass
>>
File: B9DrKb-CMAEQQYI.jpg (92KB, 1024x677px) Image search: [Google]
B9DrKb-CMAEQQYI.jpg
92KB, 1024x677px
Here's my understanding of the SF situation at the time, according to actual developer interviews:

SF3 took a long time for various reasons. First, they were unsure whether they wanted it to be 2D or 3D. They researched both. 2D won out in the end because, at the time, it was much more expressive. The 3D concept later became SFEX, which was outsourced because, again, at the time the quality wasn't there for 3D to live up to their standards. So they just did it as a side thing.

Early planning for SF3 got underway around 94/95, but development couldn't start right away because a couple years prior Capcom had decided that they wanted to branch out and make fighting games other than Street Fighter. So at the time they were putting a lot of effort into developing Darkstalkers and X-Men. It wasn't until those were finished that SF3's development could get underway.

As for SF3's completely new roster, Akiman has said that he project that ended up becoming SF3 was initially not even part of the Street Fighter series at all. That it was rebranded partway through development.

SF Alpha was a spur of the moment thing. It was thrown together in 6 months by newbie devs. It was intentionally made quickly and cheaply, because their initial plans were to put it on the older CPS1 hardware in order to sell off its remaining stock. It was eventually decided to release it on the CPS2 instead, but the CPS1 version did see the light of day as the CPS Changer version. It proved popular enough that it was able to get a sequel, and that's how Alpha became it's own subseries.
>>
>>3536898
If anything, it demonstrates the length furries are willing to go to satisfy their fetish.
>>
>>3536902
Produced, dumbass.
>>
>>3536926
capcom just published those games you turboretard
>>
>>3536930
Nope, look up the history of the games, without Capcom they never would have been created.
>>
>>3536905
Great answer, thank you.

> As for SF3's completely new roster, Akiman has said that he project that ended up becoming SF3 was initially not even part of the Street Fighter series at all. That it was rebranded partway through development.
This makes so much more sense. SFIII eschewed national stereotypes and martial arts movie aesthetics almost completely. Twelve, Oro, Necro and Gill never even looked like SF characters to me, they all resemble some sci-fi horror monsters more suited for Darkstalkers in the future. Next to SF cast they look like characters from an entirely different franchise.

But then… If Akiman was busy with another project… Was there ever a "true" SFIII, I wonder?

> Early planning for SF3 got underway around 94/95, but development couldn't start right away because a couple years prior Capcom had decided that they wanted to branch out and make fighting games other than Street Fighter. So at the time they were putting a lot of effort into developing Darkstalkers and X-Men. It wasn't until those were finished that SF3's development could get underway.
This also baffles me. It took them 6 years to make a proper SFIII. The hype for it probably died completely. A music band makes a new album in 6 years, it's called a comeback—barely anyone remembers them. Movies are pretty similar in this regard.

Instead of riding the wave of their huge success and striking the iron while it's hot, they decided to "branch out". For what? It's like they couldn't bear the idea of making a new Street Fighter game.
>>
>>3535623
Capcom apologist ready for duty, sir!
>>
>>3536943
>Instead of riding the wave of their huge success and striking the iron while it's hot, they decided to "branch out". For what? It's like they couldn't bear the idea of making a new Street Fighter game.
Part of it was that they saw that the fighting game genre in general was booming. Not just Street Fighter. Some of their competitors (notably SNK) were even making multiple fighting franchise which were all dong well.

Another part of it probably really was that they just "couldn't bear to make a new Street Fighter game". Creative types often don't like being saddled into doing one franchise over and over. They want to experiment with different things. Akira Nishitani, director of SF2 and XMCOTA, has been quoted as saying that he was offered the opportunity to work on either XMCOTA or a new Street Fighter game. He chose XMCOTA because he felt it would let him do more new and different things.
>>
>>3536943
>But then… If Akiman was busy with another project… Was there ever a "true" SFIII, I wonder?
Plans related to some form of Street Fighter 3 probably came and went for a few years without anything really materializing. Obviously the idea of making a sequel would have been in their minds ever since SF2 became a hit. Like I mentioned in >>3536968, Nishitani was offered the chance to work on a new Street Fighter game at the same time as he was offered the chance to work on X-Men, which probably would have been around 92, since Darkstalkers and X-Men were developed in parallel and took about 2 years to make.

What I do know is that SF Alpha was intended to be a side project from the get go. It was never intended to be an actual sequel. Even before the "Street Fighter Alpha" title was settled on, during development it was being called stuff like "Street Fighter Legends" or ""Street Fighter Classic". The idea also came very quickly, it wasn't something that had been panned for a long time or anything. The modernized SF1 art Bengus did for a magazine article at the time is said to have been a big part of what spurred the idea of "let's make a Street Fighter prequel", and that art was from mid/late 1994, I think? Its's very much in the same style he used for Darkstalkers 1.
>>
>>3536968
>>3537001
> Another part of it probably really was that they just "couldn't bear to make a new Street Fighter game". Creative types often don't like being saddled into doing one franchise over and over. They want to experiment with different things. Akira Nishitani, director of SF2 and XMCOTA, has been quoted as saying that he was offered the opportunity to work on either XMCOTA or a new Street Fighter game. He chose XMCOTA because he felt it would let him do more new and different things.

Yeah, you're probably right. MvC turned out great, and it's hard to imagine SF going the same route.

Still, it's just very sad; despite 2D fighting genre was booming, it was SFII that started that boom singlehandedly. I think SFA's success meant that even with worse graphics, even with basically the same or worse gameplay, people would love more SF. Imagine what could happen if Capcom's staff focused on SFIII instead of all those other games, SF would probably never fall into oblivion like it did in 1999–2008.

But instead the franchise was left in limbo for several years. It seems to me that Capcom was unsure what to do, and they simply waited. Meanwhile, the clock was ticking. They wanted to take the franchise in 2 directions, but in result both attempts failed commercially. Should've just ditched Marvel and assigned Nishitani to make SFIII.
>>
>>3535636
and anon

WHERE IS STREETS OF RAGE NOW?

oh, also dead like FF was. hell, even as bad as Streetwise was, at least we got a new FF game when SoR got left in the 90s
>>
>>3537126
Golden Axe got a shitty game though

SoR shit game we can complain about when?
>>
>>3537176
it didn't have arcade versions
which is WORSE than not having a shitty game

sometimes, i wonder what an arcade version of SoR 1 would have sounded and played like...
>>
>>3535523
>MMX series didn't jump to 3D and went downhill with every game
Please put a trip on so I can ignore you. I shouldn't have to see such dumb posts.
>>
>>3537260
No, I will not rob you of the joy of reading them over and over.
>>
>>3535523
They lost all their talent. I think Noritaka Funamistu left after cvs2. Shinji Mikami left after bioh4. Akira Nishitani left after 95. Akiman left after 3rd strike. And yoshiki okamoto left around 2004. They are left with nothing. Which is why they are producing crap after crap today.
Lesson to be learned, treat your employees well.
>>
>>3537176

I liked Golden Axe: Beast Rider. Yeah, it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a reboot or sequel, but the core gameplay itself was solid - particularly the parry/dodge mechanic.
>>
File: fightingforce.jpg (75KB, 600x600px)
fightingforce.jpg
75KB, 600x600px
>>3537176
Does this count?
>>
>>3538832
Probably. Needed more Yuzo "original tune donut steel" Koshiro
>>
>>3538060
Thanks, another great comment in this thread.

However, a lot of these guys stayed until 2000 at least… At least they could've done a better Final Fight 2/SFIII. I mean, by 1997 only Nishitani had left the company. He was still there when FF2 was being developed.

So this doesn't really explain their biggest hit series like SF and FF going so low profile
>>
File: fujiwara.jpg (74KB, 800x566px)
fujiwara.jpg
74KB, 800x566px
>>3538060
A-at least they still have Fujiwara.
>>
>>3538060
They still have some good games like Dragon's Dogma and Lost Planet (except 3 of course)
>>
>>3538885
Don't forget Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney which are still pretty good.
>>
>>3538914
>MH
Shame all of them except Tri were released on shit hardware.

>AA
Visual novels are not games.
>>
>>3538832

Although this did begin life as SoR 4, I'd say the Spikeout games are more faithful in tone.
>>
By the mid 90s people were actually sick of street fighter 2 characters because it got milked to death with champion edition, turbo, and new challengers.

Cammy had a fantastic ass and she borough life back to it briefly after she showed up but people were overall pretty sick of the game by 1995. Alpha was embraced by a few people at my arcade who were really into the combos, but it was widely overlooked due to 3d fighting games.

Dark stalkers and X-men children of the atom were huge at my local arcades. Then marvel super heroes. All of these were massive hits and undeniably the top games in any given arcade at their prime.

X-men vs streetfighter and marvel vs street fighter made everyone forget about SF3. There would be actual crowds gathered to watch people play these games.

1945 and shadows of mysteria both also dominated the shooter and side scrolling action games respectively.

Capcom did extremely well in the arcades in the mid 90s, but not on the games that retro gamers seem to be the most nostalgic about. Capcom's Marvel games and D&D are what kept them going (at least in north America).
>>
>>3539014
>By the mid 90s people were actually sick of street fighter 2 characters because it got milked to death with champion edition, turbo, and new challengers.
For being a cheaply put-up quick cashgrab effort, SFA was surprisingly well met, don't you think?
>>
File: 1181242185163.jpg (18KB, 241x320px)
1181242185163.jpg
18KB, 241x320px
>>3539057

SFA shared a room with killer instinct. I actually worked in an arcade in college in 2005 and alpha did painfully average.

For every dollar SFA made, "Cruisin USA" made $5. Again that is local experience.

People were just bored to death of the street fighter franchise in 94/95.

Even pic related outperformed it. Doink the clown and razor ramone were a hotter franchise at the time.
>>
>>3539078

>in an arcade in college in 2005

Fuck. In 1995.
>>
>>3539014
D&D only dominated the sidescrolling genre because there weren't really any other contenders.

The arcades here had Punisher and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs up till the 99 though, and they were great. I had the biggest nostalgia bomb ever when I finally managed to figure out how to emulate CPS1 and CPS2 games.
>>
>>3539084

Punisher and the other mid-late 90s ones did ok but there was very little replay or co-op. People would play through it once and never touch it again. None of them made D&D money.

The only sidescroller that rivaled D&D was golden axe: The revenge of death adder. For some reason that game lingered forever and it always drew a crowd. Just solid co-op I guess.
>>
>>3539014
>>3539078
>>3539084
Well OK, you've convinced me. I wonder how MvC and their other titles made with Western licenses fared in Japan though.

In any case, I think they lost a significant share of their remaining presence on the console market in US by that time, and also never got very big with 3D (excluding RE/Dino Crisis, of course). The only big hit they scored on PS One aside from RE was SFA3 (according to Wikipedia). Compare that to the days when ports of SF, FF and MMX were among the best-selling SNES games.
>>
I think the only real mid nineties capcom mystery is why they never made a proper final fight II. I suppose their arcade stuff was too busy with making new street fighter games which sold great up until New Generation.
>>
Crapcom is overrated.
>>
>>3537260
>He thinks X4 isn't shit.
So cute.
>>
>>3539562
sure thing chap, everything you don't like is "uber ray teed"
>>
>>3535523
SF did wane in popularity around Alpha, though the games are mostly considered solid in retrospect.

MML is really love it or hate it. Enough people loved it that I'm not sure I'd count it as a loss.

Yeah, even I can't offer any defense of the handling of FF.

I'm not sure I'd agree that it was quite as bad as you seem to be purporting, but I guess I have to agree on the whole--even though I actually like MM8 and the MMX PS1 games as kind of a guilty pleasure, I can't deny that, objectively speaking, they were definitely steps down.

The odd thing, though, is that they wound up turning out tons of great new IPs, even if most of them were ignored. Cyberbots, Darkstalkers/Vampire, Marvel fighters/crossovers, D&D, Star Gladiator, RE, Dino Crisis, Power Stone, Tech Romancer, and there are probably others that I'm forgetting. Even if it wasn't a new franchise, Strider 2 was also a great entry in a smaller name.
>>
>>3540248
>I'm not sure I'd agree that it was quite as bad as you seem to be purporting, but I guess I have to agree on the whole--even though I actually like MM8 and the MMX PS1 games as kind of a guilty pleasure, I can't deny that, objectively speaking, they were definitely steps down.
I'm not saying they were bad—it's just that their profile went lower and lower. Capcom seemingly didn't even care that much about home video games market, especially in US—with the only exception of RE/Dino Crisis. I'm not sure what they'd do without those games.

> Cyberbots, Darkstalkers/Vampire, Marvel fighters/crossovers, D&D, Star Gladiator, RE, Dino Crisis, Power Stone, Tech Romancer
Yep, it's weird they made so many new IPs, pretty much every year. And despite some of them got popular, like MvC or Darkstalkers, games like Cyberbots or Star Gladiator are barely remembered now even by hardcore fighting game fans. It's almost like they made a rule for themselves to make as many IPs as possible. This reminds me a bit of Sega's arcade market "tactics" a little bit.

Capcom also bet a lot on Naomi and made some good games for it for sure, but that meant that they were stuck with DC for home ports—the platform already had more than enough arcade conversions. They further committed themselves to DC with RE CODE: Veronica.

I just wonder why they didn't stick with PS or at least N64. Could've scored some big hits if they made significant investments into them. For fuck's sake, Namco of all companies made it big on PS. Ans it's not like Capcom couldn't predict Sega's collapse: their future was already getting vague around 1998 when Naomi was released. In fact, Sega also shot themselves in the foot by never making a proper Sonic game after 3—on of the biggest fuckups a game company ever did. And Capcom made pretty much the same mistake.

I wonder if they'd survive if it wasn't for RE
>>
>>3535609
They should make a BoF with all the good element from all the serie. Use all the good characters and ennemies from the previous games. They are just sitting on a gold mine. In my eyes all the games from the serie got very good ideas but are always shitting on something. Sometime it's the writting, sometime characters design or characters themselves, sometime it's the gameplay. They could really make a strong game combining all the good points.
>>
>>3540341
I don't know what Capcom is thinking. I guess their lack of brand name in RPGs and obscure not-so-successful efforts like El Dorado Gate prevent them from going into that market.

I am starting to highly doubt their IP managing abilities. After they rebooted DMC, which absolutely NO ONE asked for, and ran Megaman to the ground with spin-off after spin-off and that "retro" reboot, I wonder how they even survive these days. It's like only miracles keep them alive, like SFIV.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.