[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between the PlayStation, PS1,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19

What's the difference between the PlayStation, PS1, PSOne, and PSX?
>>
>>3519806
PSOne was that lighter colored slim model. The rest are all the same thing.
>>
PSX: how video game magazines unofficially abbreviated PlayStation, I believe due to an early code name related to "play station experience" or just something that came up with the Sony America marketing team but then kind of died away, still some developers still addressed to the console as "PSX" (like Midway did in one of their arcade collections).

PS1 is how people started unofficially abbreviating the PlayStation once the PS2 was announced.

PSOne is the "slim" or smaller model of the PlayStation.

Hope that helps.
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 485x27px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 485x27px
>>3519834
>>
>>3519847

Yeah, but I didn't include that because I imagined OP was asking about "PSX" as in the unofficial pseudonym the PlayStation had in the mid 90s. The actual PSX is not retro anyway.
>>
>>3519847
the only people who bring that thing up are underage fags. They didn't know what people were talking about when they said PSX so they went to look it up and really found out there is a psx and feel the need to tell the world even though we all know and all don't give a rats ass either.
>>
>>3519898

I argued with my friends at school about how PSX made no sense and it should just be abbreviated PS or SPS. Fuck off.
>>
Playstation X is what we all used to call it.
>>
>>3519909
Fuck off 3 letters just works better you can go argue with STG autists if you have any grievances
>>
>>3519909
You obvioulsy never went to a newsagents when you were at school then, seeing all the magazines with the big letters PSX
>>
So the PSOne was the PS1 slim, and the PSX was later a DVR?
>>
I was in 2nd grade when the ps1 came out. we called it the playstation. or just sony. nobody ever called it PSX besides the guys who were burning discs for people.
>>
>>3519806
PS1 and PSX are the same thing (the latter was a codename that stuck), PSX also refers to a barely-used piece of hardware, PSone refers to a specific smaller model of Playstation.
>>
File: 1349699803092.jpg (32KB, 380x162px) Image search: [Google]
1349699803092.jpg
32KB, 380x162px
>>3519806
The same autists who try to argue "the PSX is something entirely different!!!!" are the same people who think Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
>>
>>3519898

This pretty much. Sure, you can not like the abbreviation, but only shitposters and people who weren't old enough when the PlayStation was modern would bring up "the PSX is actually a PS2 hybrid derpiderpadoo" as an argument against the use of PSX as a PlayStation abbreviation or as a way to try to angrily "educate" people about the "true" PSX. The idea that using the PSX abbreviation makes some 15 year olds get confused, become angry about someone doing something they perceive to be wrong, and then try to condescendingly educate gramps greatly amuses me.
>>
>>3520469
>>
File: I hate you guys.jpg (109KB, 900x980px) Image search: [Google]
I hate you guys.jpg
109KB, 900x980px
During development the original system was known as Playstation X but for some reason Sony dropped the X before the system was released. However gaming journalists at the time (gaming magazines in particular) kept using the acronym PSX and most gamers also kept using it on internets all the way up to the time Playstation 2 and PSOne, the new resigned version of the original Playstation was released. At this point the acronyms and their meaning were crystal clear to everyone PSX meant the original bigger version of the original Playstation and the new smaller redesign of it was referred as PS1.

Yes, there was another box called PSX in Japan. No one bought it and it wasn't and still isn't anyway relevant to the rest of the world apart from underage shitposters on internet forums who always has to pop up to "educate" everyone about the "correct" usage of the term PSX when someone refers the original Playstaion as PSX.
>>
>>3520502
Reminds me of the trannies.
>>
File: 1474788211681.jpg (285KB, 900x980px) Image search: [Google]
1474788211681.jpg
285KB, 900x980px
>>3520510
Fixed.
>>
>>3519806
The PS1 is what's everybody calls it. PSone is just another way to spell it. There's no such thing as a "psx".
>>
>>3520502
PSX was a code name that stood for PlayStation eXperimental. Dumbass magazines ran with it and kept using it even after the eXperimental part was dropped.

A device called the PSX was then eventually actually made, so continuing to call the original PlayStation the PSX out of some delusional nostalgic attachment to your childhood is wrong.

No one calls the Nintendo 64 the Ultra 64 anymore, because the Ultra 64 isn't the N64's name. Likewise, PSX is not the PS1's name.
>>
File: 300px-Console_psx.jpg (17KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Console_psx.jpg
17KB, 300x200px
>>3520543
Yes there is, it's just not the PS1 anymore.
>>
I had an old model that played a different light show with music CDs. Newer ones were better imo.
>>
>>3519806
Am I weird for just calling it "PS"?
>>
>>3520561

No, that's the official abbreviation.
>>
>>3519898
>>3520502
>>3520469
Back then where I live everyone just called it "playstation", and then when playstation 2 came out it become "playstation1" or "ps1".

Personally I never heared term "psx" before internet, not even the magazines ever called it that.
>>
>>3519847

This is the "Super Mario Bros 2 isn't the real Super Mario Bros 2. It was a conversion of a game called Doki Doki Panic" of Playstation discussion.
>>
File: 1412567561006.png (83KB, 168x225px) Image search: [Google]
1412567561006.png
83KB, 168x225px
>>3520758
>not even the magazines ever called it that.
You sure about that?
>>
>>3520775
you do know that was an acronym for PlayStation eXtreme right...
>>
>>3520810
Abbreviation, not acronym
>>
>PlayStation
The original console. Had three different hardware revisions. The first has a superior sound chip. The second removed the RCA jacks in favor of just the proprietary Sony multi-out. The third removed the parallel I/O port.
>PSOne
The fourth hardware revision. A budget version of the PlayStation and an ugly little turd.
>PSX
This one is tricky. It was the old abbreviation used by magazines in North America and subsequently used by Midway on the back of one or two games. Otherwise it's a DRV revision of the PlayStation 2.
>>
>>3520775
I dont live in the US for one.

While it was hard to find any (good-quality) scans, I did find one from the local-variation of the OPM, but it and others never mentioned "psx".
>>
>>3520826
I forgot to mention, the second hardware revision is the best one. At the expense of lower sound quality, you get a much better CD drive than the first. Less prone to failure.
>>
File: 1144227131913.jpg (30KB, 450x451px) Image search: [Google]
1144227131913.jpg
30KB, 450x451px
>use the term PSX like all the gaming magazines from the 90s and most people who actually owned the original grey Playstation before Playstation 2 and the PSOne were released and some retard has to come over and "educate" me about that DVD player prototype no fucking one owns or gives a fuck about
>Ask people about their favorite Playstation games and they start talking about PS2, PS3 and PS4 games
>Use the term PS1 or PSOne and someone comes and says how I should just call it Playstation or PSX which leads back to the previous problems

I'm so fucking tired of this Playstation/PS/PSX/PS1/PSOne/PSX(that other one) bullshit and challenge /vr/ to came up with a term everyone can agree with.
>>
>>3520841

Niggerstation.
>>
>>3520846
Greystation.
>>
>>3520841
PS1.
>>
>>3520469
what kind of idiot thinks Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie?
>>
>>3520841

The GapeStation.
>>
>>3520841
Playstation or PS1 are fine
PSX is accetable
PSONE only refers to the mini console
/thread
>>
>>3520853
Voting for this.
>>
>>3520758
Nobody called it a pee ess ecks that was just the abreviation used when writing. Don't be a stupid faggot
>>
>>3520826
So the PSOne is like the model 3 Genesis? No point in getting it at all?
>>
>>3521362
see>>3520827
Literally nobody called it, or wrote it as "psx".
>>
>>3521385
Literally nobody in Germany land of the fucking cucks big deal. Lots of people in the UK US and Canada all did. No matter how many magazine scans or Internet screenshots from ign from the era you faggots just still refuse to believe it.
>>
>>3521397
PSX was used in Germany. That magazine is Finnish.
>>
File: 1413237018055.png (96KB, 1074x732px) Image search: [Google]
1413237018055.png
96KB, 1074x732px
>>3521385
>Literally nobody called it, or wrote it as "psx".
You sure about that?

If my pic isn't enough check the following out:
http://www.ign.com/articles/1998/08/28/history-of-the-playstation
http://web.archive.org/web/19980121115052/http://www.gamepro.com/whatsnew.html
http://web.archive.org/web/19981206015609/http://www.gameinformer.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/19990508132652/http://psxextreme.com/
Also, see Google Groups; do a web search of 'site:thegia.psy-q.ch/ psx'; and read back issues of magazines like those whose archived sites are linked above.
>>
>>3521435
..DId you even bother to read my original post? I clearly said that I never heared the term before internet, and that no (local) magazines ever called it that.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (225KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
225KB, 1440x900px
>>3521473

We're on an anonymous imageboard. The post he was replying to said literally nobody without any qualification.

Anyway, here's a random development disc for a PlayStation game that uses the abbreviation PSX.
>>
File: boomn64psxcovermw8.jpg (37KB, 311x388px) Image search: [Google]
boomn64psxcovermw8.jpg
37KB, 311x388px
>>3521473
Go and find any 3rd party accessory for Playstation and I guarantee it uses the term PSX on it's packaging. Pic semi-related, I own this Playstation and Nintendo 64 controllers for PC adapter and it clearly uses the term PSX.

Also in case you actually are Finnish like I am I'm pretty sure the term PSX was used in Super Power magazine at least in some ads selling games and accessories for Playstation.
>>
>>3520502
>15

I am 25 and I had never heard of anybody calling a PS1 a 'PSX' until I visited /v/.

Nobody I have asked IRL had any idea what I was talking about either, its always Playstation or PS1.
>>
File: 1413236317786.png (93KB, 1086x796px) Image search: [Google]
1413236317786.png
93KB, 1086x796px
>>3521519
>I am 25
This is the problem here. You were 5 to 7 year old when the term PSX still was commonly used.
>>
>>3521519
>PS1

That's a retroactive abbreviation that was only used after the PS2 became a thing, though I assume you know that. When speaking out loud, yeah, I generally say PlayStation (though, to be fair I guess I haven't made much of a mental not of how I've said it since back when it was a new console), but for me as an English speaker I find PSX to be more appealing to see than PS since PS is much more commonly associated with being the abbreviation for postscript. If I hear PS, I think postscript... but maybe that's just me.
>>
File: consider the following....jpg (73KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following....jpg
73KB, 300x301px
Acronyms you use when typing (especially on internets) and what you actually say to other people when talking to them in person are obviously two very different things.

For example it's true that I have never said "PSX" to anyone in person and have said Playstation instead but I have used the acronym on internets since the late 90s and will keep using it just to piss you "PSX refers to the DVD-player prototype that no-one ows" fags off.
Likewise I have never said "NES" or "SNES" to anyone in person (neither really work in my native language) and have used "regular Nintendo and Super Nintendo instead but use the acronyms NES and SNES all the time on internets.
>>
>>3521578
I say NES verbally, but say Super Nintendo.
>>
>>3521578

Yeah the thing is that NES and SNES are the accurate acronyms, PSX was just never natural. I do know and do remember that people have used it since back in the day, but I personally never used it. I used PS, and later on started using PS1 to differentiate from the later systems.
>>
>>3521551
>postscript

Never heard of it.
>>
[autism]
Am I the only who is somewhat bothered and annoyed by the term PS1?

I mean it's clear that it refers to the original Playstation but at least in my mind PS1 = PSOne aka the smaller redesign of Playstation which I have never owned. I owned and still own the original grey box which again in my mind is the original Playstation and often was referred as PSX back in the day especially on internet.

Yes, I'm more than aware that calling both PS1 makes sense in retrospect but that's the point; the term PS1 (or PSOne) was introduced only AFTER Playstation 2 came out and back then referred to the redesigned model of the original Playstation. Do you fags actually think people used PS1 back in the day before there was a Playstation 2?
[/autism]

Also to the people who always feel the need to "correct" people who use the term PSX to refer to the original Playstation:
Do YOU own the DVD-player prototype?
Do you know anyone who owns it?
Do you think it ever was anyway relevant anywhere?

The point here is that no-fucking-one owns or gives a fuck about the "real" PSX so why do you guys always make so big fuss about people using the term PSX to refer to the original Playstion which it was commonly used to refer to back in the day? Can you admit you are only using it as an excuse to shitpost?
>>
>>3521596
PS, it's written on letters, but in the digital era it's more of an "On another note blah blah blah" thing.
>>
File: image.png (345KB, 727x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
345KB, 727x720px
PSX if you're a yank, PS anywhere else, PS1 if you're underageb&.
>>
>>3521619
Why do you people bother posting such stupid things?

PS1 is what everyone in their 20's calls it here. Its just to avoid confusion with the PS2.
>>
Back in my day we called it Playstation. Also, games only cost a quarter and nickles had pictures of bumble bees on them. We would say " give me 5 bees for a game please. But where was I, Oh yah, It is called Playstation.
>>
>>3520545
Except the actual PSX is extremely obscure and Japan-exclusive.

PSX has a different meaning in Western territories. It's a nickname given by "dumbass magazines" and plenty of people (apart from a select few autists) have no issue with it.

>No one calls the Nintendo 64 the Ultra 64 anymore
Because Ultra 64 sounds dumb as fuck. PSX doesn't.
>>
>>3521753

PSX sounds very dumb, I picture a kid wearing flame shirts typing it.
>>
>>3521619
Australia-kun I want you to know you're my favorite shitposter. Keep up the good work bb.
>>
>>3521763

B-but I'm not Australia-kun! You're just strawmaning!
>>
>>3521762
Do you now?
>>
It was called Playstation.
>>
>>3519847
Fun fact: it was smug underages ignorantly posting shit like this that got me into penguinposting.
>>
>>3519834
This is absolutely correct and every other answer afterwards is just bait. Let's finally put this shit to rest.
>>
>>3520758
What country are you from? I'm American and pretty much all the gaming mags referred to the PlayStation as PSX back when it was current.
>>
>>3521362
34 year old here. My friends and I called it that all the time because our gaming mags called it the PSX.
>>
Not sure why we still have these threads. The young shitposters are very firmly proven wrong every single time.
>>
>>3522225
>Not sure why we still have these threads
A new batch of newfags cycle in the form of about two waves between every iteration of AGDQ.
>>
>>3522225
>shitposters

People in their 20's are not 'shiposters' because they have never heard anybody outside of /v/ and here call it a PSX.
>>
>>3521496
that was to avoid copyright infringement
>>3521615
it was a dvr with a ps2 in it. not a dvd player ps1

mfw anons that were 3 when the PS launched are trying to call other people youngfags.

people that call the PS a PSX are probably younger because every 30 something remembers seeing the PSX in magazines and wanted one. It is also confusing to call two different things by the same name

>but muh obscure thing nobody had

So we can call every fm towns a marty? even the PCs? A sega cd and a saturn the same? hell well just call the ds a gameboy color

psx is a thing but not what you think it is

this entire thread is dunning krueger
>>
>>3522768
>people that call the PS a PSX are probably younger

Don't you mean older?
>>
>>3522761
Nah it's a well known method of derailing threads at this point. People are just playing dumb.
>>
>>3521528
shit i'm 23 and growing up using the internet as my resource while playing my PSX, it was ALWAYS referred to as PSX, on gamefaqs and fuck literally everywhere.

bunch of faggots saying no one ever called it a psx
>>
>>3521578
PSX isn't an acronym, it's an initialism. Unless you say Pesex or something. I say NES and SNES as acronyms, but if you say Anyess and Essanyess they're initialisms.
>>
>>3519834

IF YOU ARE SMART STOP READING HERE
>>
>>3522860
I say "ness" and "sness". Back in the day, I said "pee-ess-ex" but now I just call it PS1.
>>
>>3519834
>PSX: how video game magazines unofficially abbreviated PlayStation, I believe due to an early code name related to "play station experience" or just something that came up with the Sony America marketing team but then kind of died away, still some developers still addressed to the console as "PSX" (like Midway did in one of their arcade collections).

It was the official codename of the console. The BIOS itself has the string PS-X inside, so the abbrevation is fully official - just not used once the 90s were over and labeling things as xxxtreme was not hot anymore.
>>
>>3522860
>I say NES and SNES as acronyms
I'm sorry.
>>
>>3522931
Everyone does here and we always have. I'm sorry if you say Anyess or Essanyess.
>>
>>3519806
They are all the same in that they can't play Sega Genesis games.
>>
>>3523926
Nice.
>>
Which model is better? PSX or PS1?
>>
>>3522941
I call it a "Sness" interchangeably with "Super Nintendo."
>>
>>3519834
Playstation and PSX were used interchangably all over Europe in the 90's too.
>>
File: small_390914643[1].jpg (50KB, 312x430px) Image search: [Google]
small_390914643[1].jpg
50KB, 312x430px
>>3520827
Meanwhile in Poland...

This magazine comes out to this day with name unchanged, but it's about modern consoles and games these days
>>
File: retro-vr.jpg (76KB, 712x574px) Image search: [Google]
retro-vr.jpg
76KB, 712x574px
>>3519848
>The actual PSX is not retro anyway
>>
>>3522941
I say Ness and Essness.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.