[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if you play FDS games that used the expansion audio on a famicom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: imma luigi number 1.png (4KB, 64x66px) Image search: [Google]
imma luigi number 1.png
4KB, 64x66px
if you play FDS games that used the expansion audio on a famicom using an Everdrive N8, will you get the expansion audio? Or do you need a disk system hooked up as well?
>>
>>3516976
Pretty sure you have to mod your NES for the expansion sound. Dont quote me on that but hey theres always google.
>>
>>3517168
>>3516976
Unlike the famicom, the NES cartridge port don't have audio in and out pins, thus it's impossible to have the same audio expansion.
>>
>>3517168
>>3517258

I'm aware of that, and that an NES needs a modification to output expansion audio. That's why I'm asking about the Famicom.

If a Famicom is playing an FDS expansion audio game using a flash cart, will it have the expansion sound, or does it need an FDS attached?

In other words, is the 'expansion sound' of the FDS games built into the Famicom, or is it extra sound hardware built into the FDS itself?
>>
>>3517730
Im sorry I didnt understand your question and unfortunately I dont know the answer. Thats a good question though.
>>
No.

As far as I know, no everdrives on the market have the chips necessary for enhanced audio built in, so the additional audio channels will be silent.
>>
There is a device called the FDS Stick that gets around this very issue. Basically, you save FDS ROMs to the stick and plug it into a real RAM adapter. That way you can get accurate FDS audio on real hardware. Basically what you are doing is replacing the disk drive with the stick, since as far as I know all the disk drive does is read data from the disk and sends them over to the RAM cartridge.
>>
>>3516976
I have a famicom with everdrive N8. Though I don't know if its using the expansion audio, I can tell you that fds games sound different from their cartridge releases.
>>
Yes you get 'expansion audio'. However, it's emulated very badly, and frankly sounds poor. Apparently it sounds different on every single famicom because the everdrive doesn't handle it exactly right or something. There's probably a thread about it on the official forums. Can confirm expansion audio sounds like trash on my famicom+n8, anyway.
>>
>>3517986
>>3517992
>>3517998
>>3518004

I see. Very strange.

Any indication of this being fixed at any point? And is this a problem for all expansion audio games, like akumajou densetsu, gimmick, lagrange point, etc.?

If that's the case then I might as well emulate on my wii. Was gonna replace my legit cart library with a flashcart but not sure I want to if expansion audio won't work correctly.
>>
>>3518554
The N8 is a bit better at doing the cart-based expansion audio. Akumajou Densetsu and Gimmick sound decent, for example. It's just the emulation of the FDS FM synth that fucking sucks.

The FDS Stick/FDSemu/Magic Wild Card are fairly inexpensive, and so are FDS RAM Adapters. Just get those to supplement your N8. That's what I did.

Otherwise, I mean, if you had or were building a legit cart library in the first place, then just keep/obtain the games you want with expansion audio and flashcart the rest. Flashcarts these days are great, but they will never be able to do everything.
>>
>>3517986
This is simply not true. The ED-N8 has an FPGA built-in that can emulate expansion audio chips. Unless you're talking about the shitty Chinese clone EDs.
>>
>>3518614
I guess the question is, will an FDSStick handle the cart-based expansion audio games too? I'm kind of hoping to 'one-and-done' with cart purchases with an EDN8, since it handles most games it's not terrible, but those expansion audio games would be a big part of getting the cart. Any reason you couldn't just throw something like Lagrange Point onto an FDSStick and run it? Or is it very strict on what it runs?
>>
>>3518967
You're not very bright huh?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.